Comments

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    1) EMPIRE & HOPE
    2) RETURN
    3) REVENGE
    4) AWAKENS
    5) CLONES
    6) MENACE

Enjoyable romp, if a little on the safe side.
    Well SW had a truly massive opening weekend worldwide of some $517 mil, as expected, but it didn't beat the first weekend total of Jurassic World which made some $524.9 mil, though JW did open in China as well at that time.
  • RC7RC7
    Birdleson wrote: »
    To be fair, could you hide the box office updates in the spoiler caption as well?

Ha ha
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Just saw it. God Damn!

The opening text with the Williams score gave me a tingle up my spine. They really pulled it off. Ren and Snoke are very worthy successors to Vader and Palpatine. BB-8 is funny, Rey a great heroine, the effects are top notch.

Only quibble is Jar jar Binks being seduced by the dark side, and turning into Dart Darth Binks. Didn t see that coming.
    Just saw it. God Damn!

The opening text with the Williams score gave me a tingle up my spine. They really pulled it off. Ren and Snoke are very worthy successors to Vader and Palpatine. BB-8 is funny, Rey a great heroine, the effects are top notch.

Only quibble is Jar jar Binks being seduced by the dark side, and turning into Dart Darth Binks. Didn t see that coming.

Nice try @Thunderfinger, but we know your humour. :D

Film sounds fantastic.
    It really is. Best SW experience I had the last 35 years.
    I just got back from a second viewing. Just awesome. Really great.
  • RC7RC7
    Cinemas exist for films like this. This is Hollywood cinema at it's peak and it is joyous.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    2nd time for me tomorrow. This time in real IMAX. Can't wait.
    Star Wars is back in a major way. Long live JJ Abrams.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    I've just been reading back through this thread after keeping out until I saw the film and a point @Zekidk made really stood out- the fact that both the ot AND prequels had their own original story. Say what you want about the prequels, but they were a whole different breed to the ot. And for that, for better or worse, I applaud them. TFA felt too derivative, and so suffers the same fate as SP for me. Still, I enjoyed it and would rank it ahead of TPM and AOTC.
    This movie sounds like everything a Bond film SHOULD be. Get JJ Abrams to direct and write Bond.

I have to wait to the 9th of January to see the film here in China.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Saw it for a second time yesterday and enjoyed it just as much. Even knowing what was going happen didn't ruin the experience. As with any Star Wars film it should have a re-watchability factor, which TFA has in spades. Despite the niggles concerning the story it just doesn't bother me, because it's handled in such a way that it isn't an issue. Only if you want it too be. The new characters have left me intrigued to find out more about them. Rey is an instant stand out, but Finn has enough charisma and backstory to make him a likeable character. None of the new characters (imo) stink the place up, and BB8 is a great addition to the droid family.
    This is a fantastic addition to the continuing Star Wars universe, it was and is the film I hoped it would be. The ending alone leaves me wanting more, roll on May 2017.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 4,813
    I just saw it last night. All I'll say is thank god I don't have to wait 3 years for the next one!!

I also have pages worth of spoilers on this board that are safe for me to read now! ;)
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 2,015
    Bounine wrote: »
    This movie sounds like everything a Bond film SHOULD be. Get JJ Abrams to direct and write Bond.

They had Kasdan back on writing duties... We'll never have Maibaum back.

We could ask for Haggis, though. As a director, I'm not so sure, but as a writer well, I think it's hard to find someone here who would consider him a bad choice. Even with the Vesper's kid rumour stuff ! Bond *not* caring about Vesper's kid would have been a much more Bondian behaviour with respect to family issues than what we got IMO...
  • So here are my positive thoughts on the movie, which address some of the most common complaints:
    It had the same structure as ANH yes (hiding important stuff in a droid- total nobody finds it, ends up being a hero... ANOTHER Death Star), but still it was everything we've been missing: FUN.
    The damn prequels should be ashamed of themselves!!!

My favorite character was Poe- hopefully he'll be in VIII way more. I liked him from the very beginning when he was captured and Kylo was just staring him down, trying to intimidate him, and he's just like 'So.. do I talk first? You talk first? I mean, what are we doing here?" :D

What are your thoughts on Rey's parents? They must be someone important. Maybe even Luke, I don't know! I'm so excited to find out! BTW I was BEGGING for more Luke when the credits rolled!!!

tumblr_nziyhraozT1sbum4ao2_540.jpg

Now that Rey gave him the old blue lightsaber, I was wondering if he even had the green one from ROTJ (technically he did throw it aside... did he actually get it back before the Death Star blew up?)

My only complaint is that Episode VII takes place SO long after ROTJ. I mean, Han & Leia having the son, Luke trains him, and it fails so hard that Luke exiles himself. It's like there's an entire movie worth of greatness that we missed out on and can only hear about through dialogue.

The Force Awakens could have been Episode VIII.

But I loved it, and I'm probably going again today or tomorrow, lol!

Also, I would add that back when Harrison Ford first joined the cast (after years of apparent disinterest in the series) I had a hunch that it was only because JJ agreed to finally kill Han. Unfortunately I was right :((

Seeing Han Solo die was something I could have gone my whole life without seeing.
    BUT, it certainly ups the stakes for the next movie.
    I would welcome Ford back for a fifth Indiana Jones after seeing this.

Come on, Disney, you can do it.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    @Master_Dahark, to answer one of your questions...
    If you look closely during the finale of ROTJ, you can see Luke's lightsaber at his side when he is walking towards Leia. So, assuming that he still has it, I hope that we get to see it in Ep. VIII.
    I wonder, as TFA is pretty much a reimagining of the original Star Wars (ep IV-ANH), will they go darker for the next one? Hiring R. Johnson makes me think so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Watched TFA this afternoon and loving it! I'm particularly appreciative of the aesthetics of the film. Choosing naturalism and retro-SW over the shiny plastic of the prequels, TFA successfully demonstrates that "because we can" isn't a valid excuse to make SW look like a cartoon come to life.

I'll review the film in another thread later but I'm going back for seconds and thirds first. Best SW experience I've had since birth.
    @DarthDimi, you had a SW experience at birth? Fascinating and odd.
  • Isn't it just so awesome that
    Shia LaBeouf didn't play Han's kid?? :D
    @Thunderfinger

I was conceived by the Force. Example 1: I know what you're thinking right now and trust me, she would never let you do *that*!

Example 2: those were the droids you were looking for but hey, fooled you!

:)
    What a shitty day.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,547
    Seriously though, I'm glad the film takes us back to beloved characters and conflicts. One actor felt miscast,
    the guy playing Kylo Ren...

but maybe that's a nod to Hayden? :P

And I'm so loving a return to class with the familiar space ships of old - not those curved, shiny, multicoloured and plastic looking Naboo fighters and such of the prequels.

Also, how does Williams do it? This guy is a senior citizen yet his score is full of energy and stamina. RESPECT!
  • RC7RC7
    edited December 2015 Posts: 10,512
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Also, how does Williams do it? This guy is a senior citizen yet his score is full of energy and stamina. RESPECT!

Williams is one of a handful of people alive, in the arts, who is an actual genius. That word gets bandied around far too often, but he is one of the very, very few to whom it applies.
  • Did we ever find out Rey's last name? Is it Liotta? Stantz? Charles? ;)
    Or
    Skywalker?
    Good question, @Master_Dahark. They are setting us up for some reveal, right? ;-) I'm not sure though. I hope it's not another
    Han & Leia thing

though. The future will tell?
    She is a rey of light.