Star Wars (1977 - present)

Comments

STAR WARS, it was called STAR WARS. When that film broke all records and was the most popular film in the planet, no one would know what the Hell you were talking about if you used that other title. That came around years later. I give up. It's s losing battle and I'm just getting my blood pressure up.

And I know that I'm repeating myself, sometimes it just gets under my skin more than others.

All seven movies are now called "STAR WARS". All seven movies now have subtitles in which they are referred to.

As for this new movie . . . I found it entertaining, but it is the worst "STAR WARS" movie I have ever seen hands down. The lack of originality is amazing. Even "Return of the Jedi" is better. But I will give Abrams credit for directing a movie a lot more entertaining than his two "STAR TREK" films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    RC7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't think there was anything in TFA that was as good as the Darth Maul duel in TPM.
    That fight is an all time great for me. Williams' score is just out of this world and the choreography is breathtaking, with no apparent CGI. That's the only reason I rank TPM above the other two prequels - due to that magnificent duel. I hope we get something as good in later installments.

Interesting. I also find TPM superior to AOTC and ROTS. The fact it's shot on film (as opposed to digital on the following two) gives it an edge too imo. The combination of extensive location shooting and (for the most part) decent CGI makes it feel a little more visceral and tactile. It's precisely the same reason TFA works so well. I've never understood why ROTS is held in such high regard. Firstly they should never have committed the legendary Obi-Wan/Anakin fight to film, as it could never have surpassed the fantasies that had gestated in our minds for decades, and secondly don't do it if you're not even going to come close to the finale of supposedly the worst film in the canon.
    Agreed. Well put. The final fight in ROTS was a let down for me.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 533
    It's precisely the same reason TFA works so well.

Any movie that plagiarizes an already successful film is bound to "work well".

Look … I like “THE FORCE AWAKENS”. I honestly do. Heck, I feel it is better than J.J. Abrams’ two “STAR TREK” films. But I am astounded that this film has garnered so much acclaim. It has won the AFI Award for Best Picture. It has been nominated by the Critics Choice Award for Best Picture.

“THE FORCE AWAKENS”??? Really? It did not take long for certain fans to point out that the movie’s plot bore a strong resemblance to the first “STAR WARS” movie, “A NEW HOPE”. In fact, I am beginning to suspect that J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan had more or less plagiarized the 1977 film, along with aspects from other movies in the franchise. Worse, it has some plot holes that Abrams has managed to ineffectively explain to the media. In other words, his explanations seemed like shit in the wind and the plot holes remained obvious.

Then I found myself thinking about “THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.”, Guy Ritchie’s adaptation of the 1964-1968 television series. I will not deny that the movie had some flaws. Just about every movie I have seen throughout my life had some flaws. But instead of attempting a carbon copy of the television series, Ritchie put his own, original spin of the show for his movie. And personally, I had left the movie theater feeling impressed. And entertained. It is not that Ritchie had created a perfect movie. But he did managed to create an original one, based upon an old source. Now that was impressive.

But instead of having his movie appreciated, a good deal of the public stayed away in droves. Warner Brothers barely publicized the film. Worse, the studio released in August, the summer movie season’s graveyard. And for those who did see the movie, the complained that it was not like the television show. Ritchie had made changes for his film. In other words, Ritchie was criticized for being original with a movie based upon an old television series.

This is incredibly pathetic. One director is criticized giving an original spin to his movie adaptation. Another director is hailed as the savior of a movie franchise for committing outright plagiarism. This is what Western culture has devolved into, ladies and gentlemen. We now live in a world in which the only movies that are box office hits are those that form part of a franchise. We live in a society in which glossy and mediocre shows like “DOWNTON ABBEY” are celebrated. We live in a world in which a crowd pleasing, yet standard movie biopic like “THE KING’S SPEECH” can receive more acclaim than an original film like “INCEPTION”.

In regard to culture or even pop culture, this society is rushing toward conformity, familiarity and mediocrity. God help us.
    I liked TFA, saw "The men from U,N,C,L,E," Downton Abbey, The King's Speech And have all enjoyed them.

Inception was not that impressive, just a bit overrated by the Nolan fanboys, who does some nice remakes and some nice scifi movies but is really not that special. And do not talk to me about Batman Begins which is a remake of the Shadow movie in far too many aspects too make it a coincidence.

TFA does deserve a lot of credit as it is a big return to the big family movies the original SW movies were. I love seeing the long lines in front of the theater were parents and their kids were waiting for a adventure in space. I suddenly remembered how large my anticipation was way back when the SW movies came around for the first time. And actually this movie delivered and then some, out with the grim and darkness and in with the fun and adventurous movie that TFA became. JJ Abrams has done a lot of good with both the ST & SW franchise in rejuvenating them for a new generation. And they will be looking back and see the whole franchises that came before them and can decide for themselves how the were and what they have become. I walked in with two nervous teenagers and walked out with two thoroughly enthusiast girls that cannot wait for the next installment. ( And that trick was kinda not done with the SPECTRE movie). JJ Abrams seems to have a finger on the pulse of what is done properly. I loved Super 8, a throwback to the old scifi movies that made me want to be young again.

• MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    DRush76 wrote: »
    It's precisely the same reason TFA works so well.

Any movie that plagiarizes an already successful film is bound to "work well".

Look … I like “THE FORCE AWAKENS”. I honestly do. Heck, I feel it is better than J.J. Abrams’ two “STAR TREK” films. But I am astounded that this film has garnered so much acclaim. It has won the AFI Award for Best Picture. It has been nominated by the Critics Choice Award for Best Picture.

“THE FORCE AWAKENS”??? Really? It did not take long for certain fans to point out that the movie’s plot bore a strong resemblance to the first “STAR WARS” movie, “A NEW HOPE”. In fact, I am beginning to suspect that J.J. Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan had more or less plagiarized the 1977 film, along with aspects from other movies in the franchise. Worse, it has some plot holes that Abrams has managed to ineffectively explain to the media. In other words, his explanations seemed like shit in the wind and the plot holes remained obvious.

Then I found myself thinking about “THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E.”, Guy Ritchie’s adaptation of the 1964-1968 television series. I will not deny that the movie had some flaws. Just about every movie I have seen throughout my life had some flaws. But instead of attempting a carbon copy of the television series, Ritchie put his own, original spin of the show for his movie. And personally, I had left the movie theater feeling impressed. And entertained. It is not that Ritchie had created a perfect movie. But he did managed to create an original one, based upon an old source. Now that was impressive.

But instead of having his movie appreciated, a good deal of the public stayed away in droves. Warner Brothers barely publicized the film. Worse, the studio released in August, the summer movie season’s graveyard. And for those who did see the movie, the complained that it was not like the television show. Ritchie had made changes for his film. In other words, Ritchie was criticized for being original with a movie based upon an old television series.

This is incredibly pathetic. One director is criticized giving an original spin to his movie adaptation. Another director is hailed as the savior of a movie franchise for committing outright plagiarism. This is what Western culture has devolved into, ladies and gentlemen. We now live in a world in which the only movies that are box office hits are those that form part of a franchise. We live in a society in which glossy and mediocre shows like “DOWNTON ABBEY” are celebrated. We live in a world in which a crowd pleasing, yet standard movie biopic like “THE KING’S SPEECH” can receive more acclaim than an original film like “INCEPTION”.

In regard to culture or even pop culture, this society is rushing toward conformity, familiarity and mediocrity. God help us.

Not often I use an emoticon, but =D>
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. It's like giving this movie credit for being a "STAR WARS" movie and nothing else. It hasn't really earned the acclaim it has been given, because it's more or less a remake of "A New Hope". It reeks of unoriginality . . . to the point that all of this acclaim disgusts me. Is it entertaining? Yes. That's the only good thing I can say about this film.
    I'm sorry, but I disagree. It's like giving this movie credit for being a "STAR WARS" movie and nothing else. It hasn't really earned the acclaim it has been given, because it's more or less a remake of "A New Hope". It reeks of unoriginality . . . to the point that all of this acclaim disgusts me. Is it entertaining? Yes. That's the only good thing I can say about this film.
    As long as they are as well crafted and touch me emotionally as much as TFA, they can make all the remakes in the world, as far as I am concerned.

Just curious, do you like spy who loved me?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,980
    [quote
    Just curious, do you like spy who loved me?

[/quote]

Nice ;)

• 1) EMPIRE & HOPE
    2) RETURN
    3) REVENGE
    4) AWAKENS
    5) CLONES
    6) MENACE

Enjoyable romp, if a little on the safe side.

That's exactly the same as my ranking, agree this film was as safe as it gets. Hopefully the next film will inject some fresh and original ideas.

Finished Star Wars/A New Hope a while ago. I seem to like this film more and more every time I see it; one of the greatest sci-fi classics of all time. Next up, a favorite - Empire Strikes Back!
    I need to watch them all again, with the exclusion of the first two prequels because they bore me just too much personally (I've already seen them twice) in order to provide an effective ranking. I will say one thing, I didn't mind the more modern ships used in the prequels and personally I would hope that 'A New Hope' uses one or two of these for variation coupled with continuity but I won't be surprised if Abrams didn't do this. Another thing I liked about the prequels and Return of the Jedi is that we didn't just get space and desert the whole time. The prequels had exciting looking cities (I don't give a damn whether they were CGI and Jedi had the forest). I'll see A New Hope on the 9th of January.
    Most could probably agree that there's a lot to like in TFA. But it also pretty much gives all Star Wars fans - or anyone who care about The Force - the middle finger. They have a lot of explaining to do in VIII.
    In EP 1-6 the force was something very speciel that you needed intensive jedi training to master. Ben was Anakin's teacher, and Yoda taught Luke Skywalker. But in TFA a young homeless girl can go from a total nobody to using the jedi mind trick in a matter of no time, even without a mentor? And a deserted stormtrooper who picks up a light saber almost gets away with beating a Sith who earlier in the movie could stop a beam from a laser gun midair by using the force?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,767
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Most could probably agree that there's a lot to like in TFA. But it also pretty much gives all Star Wars fans - or anyone who care about The Force - the middle finger. They have a lot of explaining to do in VIII.
    In EP 1-6 the force was something very speciel that you needed intensive jedi training to master. Ben was Anakin's teacher, and Yoda taught Luke Skywalker. But in TFA a young homeless girl can go from a total nobody to using the jedi mind trick in a matter of no time, even without a mentor? And a deserted stormtrooper who picks up a light saber almost gets away with beating a Sith who earlier in the movie could stop a beam from a laser gun midair by using the force?
    I don´t see why there should be such a big problem:
    Finn, ok, that was a bit strange, but then the stromtroopers are practically bred as such, and schooled from their early youth on. It is explained in the film that these are not the same storm troopers from 30 years ago. So why should at least some of them not have a certain amount of fencing talent? And Finn almost got killed by Ren.
    Rey is obviously a completely different caliber. The force surges in her, totally unlike Luke, who was fascinated by jedi stuff, but had the talent very, very dormant in him. Rey´s talent for some reason woke up by itself, hence the film title and Snoke´s remark.
    And Rey being able to fight like that all of a sudden doesn´t imply she doesn´t need any Jedi training. She´s overwhelmed by herself at the end of TFA, and without proper training maybe could become a huge danger for the whole universe.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t see why there should be such a big problem:
    Finn, ok, that was a bit strange, but then the stromtroopers are practically bred as such, and schooled from their early youth on. It is explained in the film that these are not the same storm troopers from 30 years ago. So why should at least some of them not have a certain amount of fencing talent? And Finn almost got killed by Ren.
    Rey is obviously a completely different caliber. The force surges in her, totally unlike Luke, who was fascinated by jedi stuff, but had the talent very, very dormant in him. Rey´s talent for some reason woke up by itself, hence the film title and Snoke´s remark.
    And Rey being able to fight like that all of a sudden doesn´t imply she doesn´t need any Jedi training. She´s overwhelmed by herself at the end of TFA, and without proper training maybe could become a huge danger for the whole universe.
    Regarding
    Finn's battle with Ren, the latter was obviously injured at the time. Additionally, it's possible that Rey's awakening has had an effect on Ren and the dark side - hence his increasingly erratic behaviour as the film progresses. Moreover, he's not fully trained, and that could also explain his not being so effective at the end, particularly in an angry, frustrated and injured state.

It's apparent to me that Ren did not want to kill Rey, but just capture her in order to take her back to Snoke as he had demanded - so he was at a disadvantage to Rey who was going all out to win.

Rey could very well have had training before as well and could have been mind wiped. When Ren mentions 'The Force' during their battle, something comes alive in her.

PS: did anyone notice that R2D2 only awoke from low power mode when Rey arrived at the base? I caught that on my 2nd watch
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 3,169
    Rey is obviously a completely different caliber. The force surges in her, totally unlike Luke, who was fascinated by jedi stuff, but had the talent very, very dormant in him.
    Really?
    The son of Darth Vader - the strongest jedi ever? Very dormant? Okay, so Rey is suppose to be this super jedi almost from the get-go, because they felt no need for character development? And what's up with Kylo Ren who goes "I'll finish what you started" to the mask of Darth Vader? Finish what? Vader came back from the dark side in Ep 6.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Rey is obviously a completely different caliber. The force surges in her, totally unlike Luke, who was fascinated by jedi stuff, but had the talent very, very dormant in him.
    Really?
    The son of Darth Vader - the strongest jedi ever? Very dormant? Okay, so Rey is suppose to be this super jedi almost from the get-go, because they felt no need for character development? And what's up with Kylo Ren who goes "I'll finish what yo
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited December 2015 Posts: 7,314
    @Zekidk,
    But how does Kylo Ren know that? There were only three people in that room so who knows how history recorded the events of that day? Perhaps people thought that Luke killed both Vader and the Emperor. Maybe they perished when the Death Star exploded? There would be no way to know for sure that Vader had redeemed himself. Even if Luke told the story I'm sure some people wouldn't have believed it.
    It will probably be revealed that Snoke told Kylo Ren that his parents and uncle lied to him about many things. He's obviously been totally manipulated by this guy. It will be interesting to find out.
    My theory is
    Rey was taught by Luke in the academy. She was spared from kylo rens massacre. She was dropped at Jakku. She has had training but it was only re awakened in her during the film.
  • Matt007 wrote: »
    My theory is
    Rey was taught by Luke in the academy. She was spared from kylo rens massacre. She was dropped at Jakku. She has had training but it was only re awakened in her during the film.
    I agree- I feel like we're gonna see some Jason Bourne stuff coming out of Rey next time around. "The Force Awakens', after all

Bounine wrote: »
    I need to watch them all again, with the exclusion of the first two prequels because they bore me just too much personally (I've already seen them twice) in order to provide an effective ranking. I will say one thing, as much as I like the old school ships from the original flicks, I didn't mind the more modern ships used in the prequels and personally I would hope that 'A New Hope' uses one or two of these for variation coupled with continuity but I won't be surprised if Abrams didn't do this. Another thing I liked about the prequels and Return of the Jedi is that we didn't just get space and desert the whole time. The prequels had exciting looking cities (I don't give a damn whether they were CGI) and Jedi had the forest. I'll see A New Hope on the 9th of January.
    Current ranking after finishing Jedi:

1. The Empire Strikes Back
    2. Revenge of the Sith
    3. Return of the Jedi
    4. A New Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The Phantom Menace

Will report back after I see The Force Awakens tomorrow; I look forward to it.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    I can't believe lando and Luke kissed. Must have been their life long ambitions
  • JNOJNO Finland
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @JNO, how about QT's new one? The Hateful Eight? :)

Haven´t seen it yet

:)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The prequels had some seriously dodgy dialogue and Lucas' directing was clearly uneven. Lucas is terrible wuth dialogue for the most part and struggles to direct actors. However, his world building and the planetary metropolises and luscious Rivendale-esque landscapes are impressive.

The romance, particularly Anakin whining like a bitch and the way he creepily gawked, touched and lusted after Padme in AOTC was awkward and embarrassing. Still, I actually enjoy the prequels and it's here you definitely get the best action and the best light sabre duels. McGreggor's Obi Wan is probably my favourite character in the series and his one on one fight with Maul in TPM was a masterclass in swordsmanship.

Natalie Portman is still one of the loves of my life on a very exclusive list. Her wedding outfit in AOTC amplified her sexines to unquantifiable levels and although his duty is scoring these films, John Williams is a true master jedi. His work is unequalled.
    The romance in clones is beyond bad. Some guy who she hasn't seen for ten years turns up, argues within a minute, Leers, whines, whines and creeps around. He like the weirdo at the school reunion. Then there's the fireside scene where inexplicably they both start talking in cod Shakespearean dialect. Bizarre.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Haha! I literally had to shield my eyes and look away. It just felt so uncomfortable to watch.
    I'm haunted by the kiss you should not have given me.

Vs

"Where did you dig up that old fossil?"
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    Matt007 wrote: »
    I'm haunted by the kiss you should not have given me.
    :(

How did this get past basic quality control?
    Have u ever watched the Mr plinkett reviews on YouTube. Excellent, incisive and very funny.