SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

1132133135137138152

Comments

  • edited February 2016 Posts: 389
    @ChampionAlonso - Well, commercially speaking, you're right. SP has grossed a lot more than those films, even adjusted for inflation. Critically, it beats DAD and AVTAK, but narrowly falls behind DAF.

    I rank SP above all of those three, however, is this really the type of impact we want Craig to leave behind when he departs from the role? Moore, Dalton and Brosnan kind of had no choice in the matter - Connery basically despised the role by the time he was shooting DAF, and Lazenby was convinced to leave Bond because in that time, perhaps it did seem like Bond would die. Craig has none of those excuses, though. He is given a choice, he doesn't despise the franchise (despite his misinterpreted recent interviews) and Bond has a much more positive outlook now than it did after OHMSS. Craig really doesn't have much of a reason to be leaving it here.

    I'm hoping Craig will crank up something a bit better (and with a stronger sense of direction) for Bond 25 that will merit both commercial and critical success, and that will be a very solid platform for him to depart the franchise with.
    I understand your point. Maybe I am a bit more esceptical about Bond 25 and a tad more enthusiastic abot SP. ;)
    BTW, It´s difficult to compare fairly the critical reception of movies released 40 years ago. For instance, DAF is #16 (out 26) and SP is #15 in this ranking.
    http://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/guide/james-bond-movies/3/
    The imdb score is going to be very similar, too (SP 6.9 vs DAF 6.7). However, I think the most of Bond fans think that SP, FYEO or TLD are better than DAF or QoS and all of them seem to have a similar general reception by critics and audience.
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    edited February 2016 Posts: 1,984
    @ChampionAlonso - Well, I certainly have SP over DAF, which I criticize mainly for failing to properly follow up OHMSS. I kind of have the same criticism of SP, but it's not as severe because SF still tied up things in the end and could've been left as a standalone Bond. OHMSS obviously couldn't.

    Let's hope Bond 25 follows up SP well.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited February 2016 Posts: 11,139
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Bloody hell. Deadpool was made for 58 million and has so far already taken in 492 million with a domestic of 235 million and is an R rated comic book movie....and yet SP struggles to creep to 200 million? See, this is what happens; give the fans what they want and you will be rewarded.
    I have watched it and it is not bad, but IMHO it´s still worse than any Craig Bond movie. I can´t understand all that success.

    The success is easy to understand. It's a comic book movie based on a very unique character that doesn't completely shit on its source material and was made at a modest cost. The marketing was on point and people that know the character largely got what they expected and wanted; for others it's a comic book movie that entertains and is different from the standard, usual fare. That equates to dollar-dollar bills.

    People like what they like. For SP to be struggling to reach 200 million domestic, more than it being a bad film which I don't think people think it is, NA audiences in general must have really been disappointed by it because clearly it failed to resonate in a way they expected. Hopefully Bond 25 will be better recieved.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    RC7 wrote: »
    // Bond is absolutely capable of surviving poor box office in the nation that perpetuates such cultural demigods as the Kardashians.///

    $200 million (or almost $200 million) is hardly "poor box office." There were *nine* movies with $200 million in 2015 and SPECTRE came in at No. 10.

    I wasn't referring to SP, just Bond in general. People are putting to much weight on the NA Box Office. If they want Bond they can have it, otherwise everyone else will. No biggy.

    Again we spent almost 200 million on your crappy movie.

    Ok so NA is a huge market and main home to the studios that finance the films but SP faired worse in China and Japan so why keep bashing the US?

    Give us a better Bond and we'll embrace it.

    Btw the media buzz starting for B25 has had a positive vibe thanks to Greg Wilson. Media taking it as yes SP didn't hit it's target but we are rethinking and starting fresh with the audience in mind.

    I'm really sick of the hatred on here. We don't have to agree on everything but too many on here have gone too far.

    I have yet to read one American poster bashing the UK.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    // Bond is absolutely capable of surviving poor box office in the nation that perpetuates such cultural demigods as the Kardashians.///

    $200 million (or almost $200 million) is hardly "poor box office." There were *nine* movies with $200 million in 2015 and SPECTRE came in at No. 10.

    I wasn't referring to SP, just Bond in general. People are putting to much weight on the NA Box Office. If they want Bond they can have it, otherwise everyone else will. No biggy.

    Again we spent almost 200 million on your crappy movie.

    Ok so NA is a huge market and main home to the studios that finance the films but SP faired worse in China and Japan so why keep bashing the US?

    Give us a better Bond and we'll embrace it.

    Btw the media buzz starting for B25 has had a positive vibe thanks to Greg Wilson. Media taking it as yes SP didn't hit it's target but we are rethinking and starting fresh with the audience in mind.

    I'm really sick of the hatred on here. We don't have to agree on everything but too many on here have gone too far.

    I have yet to read one American poster bashing the UK.

    Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour. Have you heard of Robin's Nest?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Posts: 23,883
    DAD was the top grossing film during the Brosnan era without inflation adjustment. So once again, I think it's prudent not to focus too much on box office.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    // Bond is absolutely capable of surviving poor box office in the nation that perpetuates such cultural demigods as the Kardashians.///

    $200 million (or almost $200 million) is hardly "poor box office." There were *nine* movies with $200 million in 2015 and SPECTRE came in at No. 10.

    I wasn't referring to SP, just Bond in general. People are putting to much weight on the NA Box Office. If they want Bond they can have it, otherwise everyone else will. No biggy.

    Again we spent almost 200 million on your crappy movie.

    Ok so NA is a huge market and main home to the studios that finance the films but SP faired worse in China and Japan so why keep bashing the US?

    Give us a better Bond and we'll embrace it.

    Btw the media buzz starting for B25 has had a positive vibe thanks to Greg Wilson. Media taking it as yes SP didn't hit it's target but we are rethinking and starting fresh with the audience in mind.

    I'm really sick of the hatred on here. We don't have to agree on everything but too many on here have gone too far.

    I have yet to read one American poster bashing the UK.

    Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour. Have you heard of Robin's Nest?

    That's the trouble with printed conversations ...the humor is often lost unless of course it's actually funny. :)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Posts: 9,117
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    // Bond is absolutely capable of surviving poor box office in the nation that perpetuates such cultural demigods as the Kardashians.///

    $200 million (or almost $200 million) is hardly "poor box office." There were *nine* movies with $200 million in 2015 and SPECTRE came in at No. 10.

    I wasn't referring to SP, just Bond in general. People are putting to much weight on the NA Box Office. If they want Bond they can have it, otherwise everyone else will. No biggy.

    Again we spent almost 200 million on your crappy movie.

    Ok so NA is a huge market and main home to the studios that finance the films but SP faired worse in China and Japan so why keep bashing the US?

    Give us a better Bond and we'll embrace it.

    Btw the media buzz starting for B25 has had a positive vibe thanks to Greg Wilson. Media taking it as yes SP didn't hit it's target but we are rethinking and starting fresh with the audience in mind.

    I'm really sick of the hatred on here. We don't have to agree on everything but too many on here have gone too far.

    I have yet to read one American poster bashing the UK.

    Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour. Have you heard of Robin's Nest?

    That's the trouble with printed conversations ...the humor is often lost unless of course it's actually funny. :)

    Thats the trouble with the American sense of humour - they can't recognise a Partridge quote when they see one.

    2262820205.jpg



  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Posts: 40,682
    I don't want to run this off the rails, but as an American, I have to say that there's something about British humor that's so much better to me than American humor, whether it's straight up comedy movies, TV shows, or stand-up.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited February 2016 Posts: 8,236
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't want to run this off the rails, but as an American, I have to say that there's something about British humor that's so much better to me than American humor, whether it's straight up comedy movies, TV shows, or stand-up.

    Thank you. :-*
  • Posts: 1,092
    For the record, I love British humor. Sorry, humour. :D
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Posts: 4,116
    I enjoy British humor as well ...very little of it here :P

    How can you not like a country so pompous and apologetic at the same time.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 150
    Spectre BO... painfully revised downwards?????? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm
  • Posts: 2,081
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't want to run this off the rails, but as an American, I have to say that there's something about British humor that's so much better to me than American humor, whether it's straight up comedy movies, TV shows, or stand-up.

    It's nice to know that at least some Americans feel that way, too. I've often struggled to find most American humor in movies etc. actually funny (my friends say the same), whereas I've loved a lot of British humour since I was a kid.

  • Posts: 725
    nikos78 wrote: »
    Spectre BO... painfully revised downwards?????? http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=bond24.htm

    It's a very sloppy typo by boxifficemojo that needs to be fixed. There are often discrepancies of a few million between estimates and actuals after a weekend, but not suddenly weeks later a nearly $100 million revision. Not possible.

  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Posts: 1,984
    bondjames wrote: »
    DAD was the top grossing film during the Brosnan era without inflation adjustment. So once again, I think it's prudent not to focus too much on box office.

    With adjustment, it's hardly ahead of TND despite all the 40th anniversary commotion and the BAFTA celebration. Without those benefits, I'm thinking it'd gross even worse than TWINE.

    But yeah, we shouldn't be focusing too much on box office. Craig has already elevated Bond's box office standing as much as he could, so I'm fine with where Bond stands financially. I think what's most important now is the direction that Bond is taken, because right now it seems a bit confused in that regard.
  • bondjames wrote: »
    DAD was the top grossing film during the Brosnan era without inflation adjustment. So once again, I think it's prudent not to focus too much on box office.

    With adjustment, it's hardly ahead of TND despite all the 40th anniversary commotion and the BAFTA celebration. Without those benefits, I'm thinking it'd gross even worse than TWINE.

    But yeah, we shouldn't be focusing too much on box office. Craig has already elevated Bond's box office standing as much as he could, so I'm fine with where Bond stands financially. I think what's most important now is the direction that Bond is taken, because right now it seems a bit confused in that regard.

    Hence why I wrote these two articles, about the 'real' effects and implications are of "SPECTRE"s box office figures:
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/13/spectre-box-office-and-its-future-implications-part-i/
    https://hmssweblog.wordpress.com/2015/12/14/spectre-box-office-and-its-future-implications-part-ii/

    I am really curious what people in here think of those articles. I may have linked to them before, but so far I never got a reply concerning the content I wrote. And the points I made are indeed very valid for the production of Bond #25.


  • //Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour.//

    As opposed to, say, the U.K., that gave us Benny Hill?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Posts: 17,720

    //Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour.//

    As opposed to, say, the U.K., that gave us Benny Hill?
    Don't dis the Hill!!!
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 4,325
    Thanks for those articles @Gustav_Graves - I think there really is something in part 2 about how the Bond producers can't rely on following the template of older Bond films now. Friends of mine who aren't Bond fans really liked Skyfall because it went away from the general Bond formula, and weren't that fussed about Spectre which returned to the traditional Bond formula. So I think the general public right now wants something different from Bond, they don't want a rehash of Connery/Moore Bond movies.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Posts: 8,118

    //Thats because the trouble with you Americans is you haven't got a sophisticated sense of humour.//

    As opposed to, say, the U.K., that gave us Benny Hill?
    Oh come on.. just... Carry on will you?

    Anyway, he's still up there competing with Laurel and Hardy.
  • Posts: 4,030
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    Thanks for those articles @Gustav_Graves - I think there really is something in part 2 about how the Bond producers can't rely on following the template of older Bond films now. Friends of mine who aren't Bond fans really liked Skyfall because it went away from the general Bond formula, and weren't that fussed about Spectre which returned to the traditional Bond formula. So I think the general public right now wants something different from Bond, they don't want a rehash of Connery/Moore Bond movies.

    I guess we don't want them to rehash anything. On the other hand Spectre has been successful in most markets, which might make the case that the Bond formula is still in demand.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    The only thing that's in demand is a bloody good movie. CR proved this and that stripped a lot away from typical Bond tropes but still felt very Bondian. All these references and "homages" to past Bond movies got old quickly and serves more to distract. We have over 40 years of formulaic entries; time to move on and exercise some dynamicism.
  • Posts: 4,030
    But the formula is what appeals to a lot of people in movie series, not just Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Posts: 9,020
    To answer the initial question of this thread:

    No, it won't, it will make exactly 879,448,420 USD, I'm sure of it :))
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Posts: 11,139
    Of course the formula has appeal but it's not essential and CR and even SF proved that. Nothing beats a great story. Like I said, it's time to move on and offer more. Not saying get rid of the formula completely but a lot of people that live tge formula can be attributed to the fans. It's everyone else that contribute the mega bucks and really need to be impressed. Again, look to CR.
  • edited February 2016 Posts: 725
    doubleoego wrote: »
    The only thing that's in demand is a bloody good movie. CR proved this and that stripped a lot away from typical Bond tropes but still felt very Bondian. All these references and "homages" to past Bond movies got old quickly and serves more to distract. We have over 40 years of formulaic entries; time to move on and exercise some dynamicism.

    Agree. Enough with the tropes already. Everyone else, including Cruise in MI, is aping Bond to death. Time for a great, thrilling story, no matter what actor does Bond 25. And a great new director won't hurt either.

  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited February 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Not having read all the posts of the last couple of months, I will nevertheless say this:

    Spectre was a roaring success in a lot of markets, especially European markets.
    In Germany Spectre sold 7.041 million tickets. Just to show you how much of a success that is: Fast & Furious 7 and Jurassic World sold 4.1 million tickets each. Only Minions got near the Spectre figures with 6.9 million tickets sold. (Star Wars not counting of course which sold a staggering 8.874 million tickets in Germany).

    Spectre also broke records in Switzerland, Austria and other European countries as well.
    Skyfall sold 7.779 million tickets in Germany back in 2012 by the way.

    So you see, Spectre is far from a failure and it cemented the longevity and guaranteed money maker status of this franchise.

    There was nothing wrong with Spectre at all. The simple truth is (imho) no Bond will ever go to the heights of Skyfall again (box office wise) for the obvious reasons (50th Anniversary and endless media presence therefore).
    Ok, maybe if they release a Bond movie for the 75th Anniversary, they will repeat the Skyfall phenomenon:))

    Spectre has conquered the world (except the US, I guess you can say that).
    It has become the second most successful James Bond movie and by a large margin.

    If the Return On Invest and the money Spectre made on top of the 700 million USD it approx. needed to break even (if it really needed that much) are a small disappointment for the studio, it is understandable.
    My guess is, Bond 25 will have a much tighter budget and this is good news. After CR, things got a bit out of hand budget wise and after Skyfall's success, EON probably got a bit lazy and didn't think it needed to have a tight grip on cost expenditure.

    In any case, Bond 25 will hit the cinemas eventually and continue the great run the franchise had since Goldeneye.
  • Posts: 4,030
    I think EON were just doubling down. Put more money in to back Mendes. He was a success with SF, let him do his thing again. Perhaps they will want as producers to take more control next time, but as Spectre has been a success perhaps they'll just back Mendes again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Posts: 28,694
    Tuulia wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I don't want to run this off the rails, but as an American, I have to say that there's something about British humor that's so much better to me than American humor, whether it's straight up comedy movies, TV shows, or stand-up.

    It's nice to know that at least some Americans feel that way, too. I've often struggled to find most American humor in movies etc. actually funny (my friends say the same), whereas I've loved a lot of British humour since I was a kid.

    The Brits do most things better.

    America is just a growing embarrassment at this point, not that it hasn't been that way before; we're just on fast-forward now. It's frustrating to see how stupid some of my people act, and how I am then generalized as thick in the head or arrogant because of them worldwide. We've become one big joke. How our people treat elections like sports events or circuses. How we perpetuate crimes against the beautiful English language with acronyms like LOL and ROFL or BS slang terms like "selfies." I can't say that last one out loud for fear of losing precious brain cells. Hell, when William and Kate were married, we gave more of a toss about it than their own people. On behalf of my country and its sizable population of dimwits, I apologize to the Brits and the rest of the world. If there was a way to stop it, I would, trust me.

    I don't want this thread to go off topic again, but I had to vent my feelings on this.
Sign In or Register to comment.