SPECTRE: It grossed $880 Million Worldwide (..and 2015 was the biggest box office year so far)

Comments

• RC7RC7
    It isn t out on blue here yet. And it is always better on the big screen.

Yes, nothing beats the big screen.
    dandan wrote: »
    I prefer watching movies on my 65" screen at home.
    Looking forward to getting the BluRay
    I often find movies in theatres a bit 'fuzzy'.

We only have a 46"... I feel so worthless right now. :((
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    dinovelvet wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Utterly unscrupulous.

How so? They're not forcing anyone to go.

It's the principle from their end.

Even better if you have a projector and a home cinema entertainment system.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    ggl007 wrote: »
    I might think of doing this, but the only AMC theater playing Spectre this week is quite far and I'm working all week.

The_Reaper wrote: »

Well, @The_Reaper I have a 104 " screen with projector :)
    tanaka123 wrote: »
    The_Reaper wrote: »

Well, @The_Reaper I have a 104 " screen with projector :)

=D>
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    Utterly unscrupulous.

A movie studio wants to make some money? Yes, let's all try to cope as best we can with that shocking business practice, I guess.
    Utterly unscrupulous.

A movie studio wants to make some money? Yes, let's all try to cope as best we can with that shocking business practice, I guess.

Don't be silly. The film had its theatrical run, it's out on home video but for selfish opportunistic reasons they want to release it cinematically again as some sort of last hurrah to make up for their failure of reaching 200 million domestic. If anything it's just desperate but hey, it doesn't really matter I suppose because it doesn't have any immediate effect or impact on me.
    The theatrical run hadn't ended, they have just increased the number of theatres.
    Oh well, good luck to them. If Bond can reach the 200 mill then it's all 'round pats on backs.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Oh well, good luck to them. If Bond can reach the 200 mill then it's all 'round pats on backs.
    For crying out loud, take a nap or something.
    What ails you, @jake24?
    vzok wrote: »
    The theatrical run hadn't ended, they have just increased the number of theatres.

Yep. SP has had great legs thus far and to be honest, the theater count was dropping way too fast considering how well it was doing per screen. If anything, bumping the count is simply rectifying an inequity. It never should have been as low as 47.

Wait how the hell the discussion here transfered to the US elections lol :D

So sadly it seems like ~880m USD is the final number for Spectre. I'd say that's a decent number. I expected around 850-900 overall. I would't have been surprised if the move ended up with 800 or below.

So...yeah, in my eyes Spectre is a success
    It would have made another 10-20 million if it wasnt for Star Wars.
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    It would have made another 10-20 million if it wasnt for Star Wars.

More and the theater drop would have been less dtrastic, plus don't forget - sadly - Paris. So 900 were in the cards easily, which is amazing considering how most seem to dislike it. ;)
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    Yeah, the circumstances were definitely much more difficult for this film than Skyfall. $900 million was a reasonable guess IMO, even $950 million as the title of this thread suggests.
    It probably would have got another extra 20 million if it had been released a week earlier. That Peanuts movie shaved a bit off it's first week take.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    ....Peanuts was soon forgotten. What hurt SP the most was SP. It was the author of its own pain.
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    IIt would have made another 10-20 million if it wasnt for Star Wars.

More and the theater drop would have been less dtrastic, plus don't forget - sadly - Paris. So 900 were in the cards easily, which is amazing considering how most seem to dislike it. ;)

Huh? How is it most? Most what? Most fans, critics, audience members? Every single review or audience response has SP being generally liked.

Rottentomatoes: 64% positive
    Metacritic: 60/100
    CinemaScore (audience reaction): A-
    Imdb (currently): 6.9/10

All of these are positive on any imaginable mathematical scale. So... exactly what the hell are you talking about?
    64% is JUST about still positive. Certainly not what we all were aiming for.

The A- is the only decent number. Sorry. I certainly had wished for something better, mostly for DC's sake. But as it is, the reception was mostly average at best.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Spectre is widely viewed as a disappointment in North America. Shame really.
    One has to admit, that it did really well in Europe. Thankfully. But since NA is still seen as THE important market, the reception there has done its damage. But - they DID get away with it nevertheless. But I fear for the next.
    Just my opinion, but I think the film got the reception it deserved in North America, maybe even moreso. It's just not that great of a film, especially when compared to its predecessor, and hopefully it coming in at under $200 million will force the necessary improvements the next time around.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I don't agree with assessments that extrapolate from the rottentomatoes ratings or box office for SP to make forecasts for the next Bond film. There is nothing to fear for B25 in my view.

One thing we should know by now is that each Bond film stands on its own two feet critically and has to 'do the business' on its own. I like that. Unlike some other long running franchises in the US, Bond always has to prove itself time and time again. Some Bond films resonate better critically, and others do not. That's the way it should be if we want to have a good product. Otherwise we can end up with overconfidence and 'coasting', which happened in the past.

I'm quite certain B25 will blow everyone's socks off. EON knows (based on recent Wilson son's comments) what didn't quite click and they will address it next time out.
  • SP US-Canada box office at estimated $199,774,852

SP generated an estimated $105,000 at the U.S.-Canada box office for the Feb. 19-21 weekend

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?yr=2016&wknd=08&p=.htm
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    I don't agree with assessments that extrapolate from the rottentomatoes ratings or box office for SP to make forecasts for the next Bond film. There is nothing to fear for B25 in my view.

One thing we should know by now is that each Bond film stands on its own two feet critically and has to 'do the business' on its own. I like that. Unlike some other long running franchises in the US, Bond always has to prove itself time and time again. Some Bond films resonate better critically, and others do not. That's the way it should be if we want to have a good product. Otherwise we can end up with overconfidence and 'coasting', which happened in the past.

I'm quite certain B25 will blow everyone's socks off. EON knows (based on recent Wilson son's comments) what didn't quite click and they will address it next time out.

I agree ..especially with your impression of the younger Wilson's comments.

I do think that the NA may be a bit more apprehensive next time around. However if B25 hits its marks then yes Bond will regain what has been lost.

Bond audience is surprisingly forgiving unlike other franchises.
    That's how Craig's run has gone thus far. Massively successful film, less than spectacularly view film after it and so on, done twice. So on, off, on, off. I like them all but I would agree SF is the superior film compared to SP. So yeah, Craig could do one more, have it be one of this best and walk away feeling great. Hell, the less than awesome reception of SP could be more incentive for him to return. That's fine with me.