Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm just surprised they thought they could make a film which needed to make $850m or $925m or whatever to start generating profit. I could have told them this one wouldn't have done that kind of business prior to its release.

It was quite clear to me just by watching the trailers that it wasn't up to the standards of the best of Marvel, and that's what you need to crack $1bn these days.

Are we sure these budget rumours are correct? Those break even numbers seem way too high.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The problem is that the cooks in the kitchen didn't know the recipes (in this case, the characters). I feel like Snyder and his team act like they know the comics backwards and forwards just to save face, when they really only like the parts of The Dark Knight Returns they can remember from their rocky teens years, which isn't much beyond the "I Believe You" sequence. I'm shocked we didn't see Batman riding a freaking horse in this movie, to be honest.

That should've been the finale, in fact. Batman riding on a horse with the kryptonite spear in hand, charging at Doomsday for that final kill. Would that've really been that much worse than what we actually got? Who's to say. ;)

Marvel are in position to take the win on this, but were they ever really in danger of losing anyway? They love and know their characters, which is most of the battle. BvS didn't even have that straight out of the gate. It's sad to admit, because I wanted to love this movie more than anything. DC is my jam, but now the dream of a wonderful cinematic universe with my favorite characters is fading away faster each day. It looks like it's back to watching the old Justice League cartoons on Netflix.

Civil War is going to make this movie look like a pebble amidst the ocean. If they adapt the ending of the comic properly and
    kill Cap
    , I tell you what word of mouth will propel this film into the stratosphere. Everyone in the world will weep and rewatch this film like mad, throwing money at it all day and night. Marvel started out playing soft ball, but now they're taking characters we've grown to care about and is doing interesting things with them. The game was won before it even began.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Civil War is going to make this movie look like a pebble amidst the ocean. If they adapt the ending of the comic properly and
    kill Cap
    , I tell you what word of mouth will propel this film into the stratosphere.
    NOOOO!
    But I know it's coming, and furthermore they'll do it right.
    BvS was so bad its unbelievale, I mean how can you make a movie this bad.

I hope it flops so hard, there is no way in gods name i will let Snyder insult my intelligence again.

MOS was The Godfather in comparison to BvS.

The film wont make it past 850. and it dosent even deserve that.
  • //Are we sure these budget rumours are correct? Those break even numbers seem way too high.//

The $250 million budget has been reported for a while. Seems reasonable given that SPECTRE's budget was $245 million net (once all the product placement deals were struck).

The amount the studio gets from the box office varies greatly by region. It can be as low as 25 percent in China, for example. A lot of these estimates for break even point assume the studio gets an average of 50 percent to 55 percent of the box office gross.

$250 million production plus $150 million marketing (figure used in the Variety story and that was depicted as a conservative figure) equals $400 million to be recouped.

If you get 50 percent of a worldwide $800 million box office, you get to break even. 55 percent gets you into a small profit.
  • //Are we sure these budget rumours are correct? Those break even numbers seem way too high.//

The $250 million budget has been reported for a while. Seems reasonable given that SPECTRE's budget was $245 million net (once all the product placement deals were struck).

The amount the studio gets from the box office varies greatly by region. It can be as low as 25 percent in China, for example. A lot of these estimates for break even point assume the studio gets an average of 50 percent to 55 percent of the box office gross.

$250 million production plus $150 million marketing (figure used in the Variety story and that was depicted as a conservative figure) equals $400 million to be recouped.

If you get 50 percent of a worldwide $800 million box office, you get to break even. 55 percent gets you into a small profit.

There's as much art as there is science in this figuring, of course.
    //Are we sure these budget rumours are correct? Those break even numbers seem way too high.//

There's as much art as there is science in this figuring, of course.
    Thanks for explaining and clarifying. That makes sense. I was not aware of the roughly 50% studio margin.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    //Are we sure these budget rumours are correct? Those break even numbers seem way too high.//

No, you take the production budget + marketing, and the general rule of thumb is you double that number to figure out roughly what it needs to break even. Thus, it's yet to make money yet, technically.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Well, I finally saw it. I had low expectations going in because of all the negativity surrounding it. Maybe that's why I ended up enjoying it as much as I did. Granted, it's far from perfect, and there are definitely some areas that were in need of improvement. Also, while I do enjoy these characters, I'm certainly not as invested or knowledgeable about them as some of you.

I have to man up and admit that I was wrong about Affleck. Yes, I was one of the skeptical ones when they announced his casting, although I did say that I would wait to make a final judgement until I saw the finished product. Well, he was the best part of the film for me. As many others have stated, the prospect of a solo Batfleck film really excites me. On the other hand, I thought Eisenberg was a terrible choice for Luthor, and my fears were confirmed as I was not a fan of his performance at all.

There were some odd choices made by the script at times but I was able to roll with it all until the final act. The addition of Doomsday seemed unnecessary and it didn't help that he looked horribly fake. The ensuing battle was extremely underwhelming. At least they toned down all the pointless explosions from MoS.
    My biggest issue was that the death of Superman felt very contrived. I get that he wanted to make the ultimate sacrifice for the people of Earth but I don't think the situation was that desperate yet. Why didn't he just give the spear to Batman or WW? As if they couldn't have found a way to penetrate Doomsday's skin with it? Especially Batman with all of his gadgets? Give me a break. Also, when Superman first retrieves the spear from the bottom of the pool, he is so weak that Lois has to pull him out of the water. How is he then able to fly it over to Doomsday and have the strength to stick into his chest? Finally, why kill Superman at all if you're just going to bring him back anyway?
    Despite all of that, I couldn't help but enjoy myself. Although, I wouldn't mind if they handed over the reigns to someone other than Snyder.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,598
    I certainly enjoyed it and will probably see it again in a couple of weeks time. My only gripes with this film are that the plot was a bit of a mess, as others have said but it only hindered my overall enjoyment of the film a little. Plus, even though I thought Wonder Woman was cool and enjoyed the brief glimpse we got of Aquaman, I thought that having these two characters was a bit of an overkill. It seemed like too much was going on in the film. I think they should have left their introductions for the next film, when I suppose The Justice League will be in full force.

Also, unless I missed something, Luther didn't seem to have any clear motivation as to why he wanted to declare war on Superman. He's a nut job so is he like The Joker who just wants violence and destruction for his pure entertainment? I've never read the comics.

I really liked Ben Affleck as Batman and I hope we get a stand alone Batman film.

Luther was average and I thought he was a bit too comical in this film.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Tuck91 wrote: »

MOS was The Godfather in comparison to BvS.

Hell. And I thought MoS was tedious crap. As soon as I knew ZS was directing BvS I thought it was doomed. When it comes on the telly box I'll watch it (probably) just to see how bad, but I'm not going to the cinema to boost it's earnings. This is sad because I love Batman and have done since a small child in the 60s (never did like Supes too much though). A rethink Warners and a proper film director next please.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    hitfix' report on the drop:

http://www.hitfix.com/news/box-offic...op-is-alarming

And then there's this:

Quote:
    David Mumpower is perhaps the most pessimistic of the pundits who weighed in, with the Box Office Prophets founder telling me plainly, "I'm surprised by how quickly it's dying. The weekday numbers were all alarming, and what's happened over the weekend indicates that it's already a dead film." Mumpower went on to note that he expects six-week-old Zootopia to actually best Dawn of Justice by next weekend.
    Less than Zootopia's next weekend would mean something around below $15 million next weekend. Madness.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    edited April 2016 Posts: 9,020
    Zoomania (that's the movie's name here) has already shattered BvS ticket sales wise.
    BvS has sold "only" 650,000 tickets in week one in Germany. That's still No 1 for the week but Zoo has sold 540,000 tickets in the same week and it started one month ago.
    BvS will crash and burn in week two probably.
    The number to go in Germany would be 2.5 million tickets sales (in one month) at the moment and that seems unreachable now.
    $3.1 million for Monday's take which is a massive drop from Sunday. BvS will definitely NOTretain the #1 spot this weekend.

edit: made a typo leaving out the word NOT.
    it will retain it but Honestly lets talk about what can be done in the dc cinematic universe

Four things and I feel even Double Ego will agree with me (or at least I hope)

1. STILL RELEASE Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman both films are nearly done both should be released and at the times they were announced.

2. Still do Justice League but I feel Affleck should be much more involved behind the scenes. Let Snyder direct as he does make gorgeous shots but Have Affleck be more hands on in crafting/editing the story "ghost" directing and editing the film. Personally I wouldn't be upset if Affleck Helmed the film but if Snyder is contracted for Justice league let him do it but have Affleck keep a close eye

3. Still do Aquaman The flash etc.. Look not all of marvel's movies were success and before Doubleego and other claim they were or that Marvel had this huge plan. No if anything marvel has shown how adaptable they are Hulk didn't work out so they put him in the avengers films and gave up on a solo franchise. Iron man 2 and 3 were both chastised by critics and fans so no Iron man 4 (and before we get someone saying But Downy Jr doesn't want to do it I am sure marvel could write down a number then RDJ would agree to) Dc should be adaptable too Superman is sort of a wink link in the chain well
    when they resurrect him
    maybe keep him to the justice league movie alone or recast when it comes time for another solo superman adventure

4. Make Affleck and more importantly Batman your linchpin. Even critics who hated the film loved Affleck and Batman in the movie. DC should announce Affleck's solo batman film sooner rather then later.

my thoughts but I still loved Batman v Superman
    I'm happy to see that it's generally agreed upon by everyone who saw the movie that Affleck wasn't the issue. Hopefully we'll get a real solid solo film now that there's so much interest in his take on the character.
    Yes, it would be silly for WB to scrap SO and WW now. They need to just pray that these movies are good and seeing as Snyder isn't directing that's already a plus. The downside is, WB have crippled DC's brand somewhat. Studios are probably kicking themselves for straying away from BvS because well, they had nothing to fear as it turns out. Now, studios aren't going to think twice about releasing their movies close to or against a DC movie. If a film that features DC's trinity fails to ignite the BO and does a lousy job, seriously who's going to give 2 fiddle stocks about the likes of the Flash, Cyborg and Aquaman? BvS has pretty much set the DCEU back to square one and now it's upto SS and WW to repair the damage BvS has done to DC's cinematic brand.

If I were WB, I'd at least definitely delay JL, revise the script and get a new director and focus on a Batfleck solo movie to be released prior to JL. WB need to regroup and do all they can to ensure SS and WW turn out to be good movies. Audiences are now going to be weary of DC and if these movies fail then it truly is game over for the DCEU.

As for Marvel, let's be real. They're not perfect but their output is still good enough to not be critically panned to the point of disasters and flops not to mention they weren't using bloated budgets. They're at least smart enough to keep their costs down and learn from their mistakes going forward such as using Hulk in a way that's far more interesting than giving him his own movie for the third time. Iron Man 4 isnt a priority and nor is it needed at this moment in time because with the events going on within the MCU it's just not justified to see a 4 solo IM film right now. The universe is massive and there are other characters that have been alluded to and that should be introduced and for existing characters to get their 3rd movies which actually moves the overall narrative forward; which is why Thor Ragnorak will have the hulk feature.

See, the problem is DC have stood by for years and watched Marvel and others do things, they've seen the mistakes and successes but whereas the likes of Marvel are actually improving and telling different types of stories and catering to different tones because they know the characters they have aren't all tonally equal; WB/DC have ****ed up by trying to take short cuts and make silly mistakes and think an all-encompassing dark and gritty tone for all their characters is the way to go. For goodness sake, WB/DC said they're using Fincher's Se7en as the influence and blueprint for their Flash movie. What...the...hell?????

See, the situation with BvS right now is, its so bad that people aren't just rejecting it they're flat out ignoring it which is why WB/DC are face deep up shit's Creek with their mouths wide open. This film is collapsing and it's not looking to guarantee reaching 800 mill. This is catastrophic.

To make matters worse Zootopia made $3.2 million on Monday so BvS has already fallen to its knees to another film and that's before Jungle Book comes out. That's an embarrassing collapse seeing as there's no competition out there. BvS has all the advantage in the world but it's biggest problem is, it's a terrible movie and the world knows it.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    A film could gross a $900 million dollars, but if it cost $800 million to make it, it's not truly very successful at all.

A profit of 100 million dollars is a failure? If you believe that, you have it real good.
    A film could gross a $900 million dollars, but if it cost $800 million to make it, it's not truly very successful at all.

A profit of 100 million dollars is a failure? If you believe that, you have it real good.

If you're doing simple Simon subtraction then yeah but that's not how it works in the movie business and thus is NOT a profit of 100 million dollars.

If a film costs 800 million to make, you're looking at circa 1.6 billion to break even!

From that point on is when you start profiting.

As for the WW movie unless DC start using their brains and move it to another release date its going to get annihilated at the BO. It's releasing the same day as Transformers 5 and Despicable Me 3 comes in a week later and then Marvel's Spider-Man film is released 2 weeks after. It's almost as if WB/DC want to fail.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb

You have to see it in the context. Warner wouldn't have agreed to such a high breaking even point if they hadn't believed it will easily surpass the billion mark and end up above 1.2 billion.
    100 million doesn't even pay them the marketing campaign for next years JL.
    That is a failure of gigantic proportions and should get people Fired!
    @JasonBond gets it.

A film studio invests in a movie the way WB did with BvS with the expectation to gross at the extreme least $1Billion. People are definitely going to get the chop.

To be fair to them, in principle it was doable and a reasonable goal to aspire to achieve. It's a film about Batman and Superman, 2 of the most iconic superheroes in pop culture history, of course it can make about a billion, most likely a lot more...BUT WB cocked up and ended up with an exceptionally terrible movie that people at this point aren't even bothering to see.

In this day and age where MANY movies gross $1Billion a year, which includes superhero movies, it really is disheartening that a movie for the first time to feature 2 of the greatest superheroes is going to struggle to just about break even let alone reach and cross $1Billion and that's with IMAX and 3D and more territories(markets) as compared to 8 years ago.
    its not gonna break a billion, it didnt even have to be good to do it but its just so bad its unreal.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,694
    As @doubleoego is saying, I just don't understand how they mucked up a guaranteed high box office draw like that. If Michael Bay can direct a film as criticized as Transformers 2, and two years later direct the sequel which hits over 1 billion, and 3 years after that direct yet another Transformers film that hit almost 1.5 billion and was the highest box office hit of the year, how can they muck up Batman AND Superman the same film?
    In principle it could have indeed gross more than a billion, easily.

However, in order for it to do so, the movie DID have to be good to some degree. BvS absolutely had EVERYTHING laid out on the table for WB to feast and they screwed it all up.

edit: My mobile is screwing up my posts.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    It certainly could have been better, but I'm just surprised that people (including the studio and some members of the fandom) had such high expectations for this film. It was exactly how I thought it would be, which is mediocre, with some neat flashes here and there. Given it was from the Supes MoS team, what did people really expect? It could actually have been worse imho.
    @bondjames, every time I read your name out loud I want to respond with 'Luigi' ;)
    @bondjames, every time I read your name out loud I want to respond with 'Luigi' ;)
    Haha. I presume London's greek to you? ;)
    I can't find it now, but I'd love to get my hands on the article I came across a few weeks ago whose headline read something along the lines of "Batman v Superman will easily make $1.5 billion."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,694
    @Creasy47 you should do a search on twitter - quite a few people posted there a few months ago that they were certain BvS would make atleast 1.5 billion.
    I don't have Twitter, and it was an article I saw posted throughout Yahoo, so it was one written for an official site of some sort. Can't seem to find it now; probably deleted after the author realized how horribly wrong he or she was.