Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Civil War is NOT the same movie as BvS. You couldn't be more wrong with that statement. Beyond the fact that the 2 films have the heroes going up against each other Civil War offers and deals with a lot more. Civil War is going to be a psychological thriller. BvS is not that.

Secondly, I agree with wanting comic book movies to be successful. BvS' unfavourable reception and poor performance has not only hurt the DC brand but it also hurts the genre. The last thing we as fans need are the seeds sewn to instigate and proliferate superhero fatigue and unfortunately, with films like BvS underperforming in such a way really puts added pressure on other comic book movies. If WW and SS aren't received well, WB/DC might as well call it a day and withdraw themselves from the cinematic arena, which just wouldn't be healthy for the genre.

Thirdly...
    Risico007 wrote: »

Yeah expect people to be only talking about the above and not what marvel is doing no matter what they show or announce.

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 9,807
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Civil War is NOT the same movie as BvS. You couldn't be more wrong with that statement. Beyond the fact that the 2 films have the heroes going up against each other Civil War offers and deals with a lot more. Civil War is going to be a psychological thriller. BvS is not that.

Secondly, I agree with wanting comic book movies to be successful. BvS' unfavourable reception and poor performance has not only hurt the DC brand but it also hurts the genre. The last thing we as fans need are the seeds sewn to instigate and proliferate superhero fatigue and unfortunately, with films like BvS underperforming in such a way really puts added pressure on other comic book movies. If WW and SS aren't received well, WB/DC might as well call it a day and withdraw themselves from the cinematic arena, which just wouldn't be healthy for the genre.

Thirdly...
    Risico007 wrote: »

Yeah expect people to be only talking about the above and not what marvel is doing no matter what they show or announce.

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

Ok really lets talk about this

Civil war (the movie not the graphical novel) is essentially this

After the events of and death toll of civilians of the past few marvel movies the government has decided that super heros need to be put in check because of something to do with Bucky (the trailers are not clear) iron man agrees with this captain America doesn't and for some reason they fight... Yeah completely different from
    After the destruction during Man of Steel the government feels superman needs to be put in check and because of Bruce's distrust (and some manipulation by Luthor) the two go head to head

Completely the same your either blind or too much in love with marvel to realize this. Like I said the more I watch for civil war the less intrest I have because it's the same dam film

As for you thinking DC can't win comic con we will see considering it was all anyone talked about since 2013 at each comic con I would suspect this year could be no different if DC goes big.

http://batman-news.com/2016/04/07/ben-affleck-london-house-justice-league/

Also inspite of your doom and gloom here is news that Justice League part 1 is still happening
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    The two films have similar set-ups, but they are quite a bit different, just watching the trailers is evidence of that.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    What's there to talk about? I already stated that they have obvious similarities in that the heroes go against each other and that the difference is, BvS is NOT a psychological thriller. Civil War is; and anyone who has been following the production of both the films can tell you that Civil War is telling a far more layered, deeper and bigger story that goes way beyond what the marketing has trickled out to audiences and evidently what little you have seen. So no, it's not "the same damn film". That is fact.

DC at comicon will show what? Who cares what's been going on since 2013? The fact is, the much overhyped BvS not only failed to impress but other movie studios who gave BvS a wide birth won't be making the same mistake for any other WB/DC property. What has WB/DC done cinematically in the last say 40 years that's actually good apart from Nolan's Bat films? WB/DC are in full damage control mode and instead of taking off at warp speed, they're back to square one with having to rebuild trust and confidence in their brand and even now they've foolishly said they're going to reduce the amount of small films and focus on their big franchises like the DCEU...which is exactly what they should not be doing because it'll only lead to huge losses and set them on the path to bankruptcy eventually. WB/DC don't know what the fuck they are doing!
    Meanwhile Disney/Marvel are entertaining their audiences, increasing their mass public appeal and laughing while counting their money. Jungle Book will kill at the BO and already has amazing reviews, the trailer for Star Wars Rogue one just dropped and instead of doing a WB/DC and dropping their pants and shooting their load, they've only teased their big Ace in the hole.

With Marvel's phase 3 and Infinity War movies coming out over the next few years and their brand well and truly established and only getting stronger I think it's WB/DC that need to be more concerned about if it's worth them showing up at ComicCon let alone them coming remotely close to dominating it lol (you're a funny guy).

As for JL, I've never said that it's not happening. I've only said that I THINK it would be in their best interest to delay it. I even posted WB/DC scheduled movie slate for the next few years. History and reality has spoken loud and clear and I'm echoing it. If you don't like what I'm saying, take your issues up with WB/DC.

To me it feels very samey like I said go and see it but as for me I wouldn't be surpised if civil war wound up being a rental
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, if you think 'Batman v Superman' and 'Captain America: Civil War' are essentially one and the same, why are you so disinterested if you loved the former? The setups seem relatively similar, but they don't look to be the same whatsoever.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Civil War has the potential to be the best ever comic book movie.
    Something BvS should have been, instead it's a gigantic failure.
    I will watch the Ultimate cut and then decide if I ever watch it again at all, respectively do a fan version of BvS omitting the S in it as much as possible so that I have more or less a BvWW movie.
    Just remove the 'v' and you know everything you need to know about this movie.
    Civil War has the potential to be the best ever comic book movie.
    Something BvS should have been, instead it's a gigantic failure.
    I will watch the Ultimate cut and then decide if I ever watch it again at all, respectively do a fan version of BvS omitting the S in it as much as possible so that I have more or less a BvWW movie.

WB/DC are crazy.

Many people who weren't exactly fans of or impressed by MoS came in to BvS for Batman and the view that WB/DC/Snyder identified and took heed of the criticisms of MoS, and would be addressed in BvS to improve upon them. However, what we got instead was a doubling down on the troublesome and wrong tone and characterizations, and gave audiences a movie that is now regarded less favourably by many as an astonishingly greater critical disappointment and failure than MoS. They practically jettisoned their goodwill into Hell-fire.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @Risico007, we all appreciate your loyalty to the DC brand as the USS WarnerBros sinks, but let's be real here.

Civil War and BvS do have some similar elements, but at their core they are very different.

In scope and tension and consequence, Civil War wins easily. Both films deal with superhero conflicts, but while BvS was only a battle between Batman and Superman (it was only five minutes long, so maybe "scuffle" is a better word), Civil War is exactly that-a war! In BvS Batman and Superman punch each other a bit; okay, cool. In Civil War, all the heroes we've grown to love are picking sides and battling each other. Come on now, you can't tell me BvS is even close to as interesting at that.

Furthermore, the consequences posed by Civil War will be much greater than anything BvS could've dreamed up. CW calls for heroes to register and unmask, doing away with secret identities and challenging vigilantism in a big way. What's at stake in BvS? It's just two and a half hours of a bunch of people who want to punch Superman for stupid reasons that hold no water. Can't say BvS wins there either.

As far as the similar story of heroes vs heroes goes, the only way Civil War could lose to the devastatingly disappointing BvS is if, in the final battle of the film, the actors are all replaced with shoddily made puppets set against a grainy green screen.

Marvel is going to decimate what meager work DC has tried to do with BvS both in context of the content the film is dealing with, and at the box office. It certainly won't earn record-breaking big bucks two weeks into its release only to then face a 70% decline in returns, I'll tell you that much.

If my hopes are true and Civil War ends with
    Cap's death, we'll get to see a beautiful sequence where characters who loved and knew him for years upon years mourn the passing of a legend. What do we have in BvS that matches that? We watch people coming to Clark's funeral who barely knew him for two days, acting like they gave a shit about him or his mission (looking at you, Bruce). And while DC caved in and showed Supes still alive at the end, Marvel aren't going to bring Cap back until Infinity Wars II, if that early.
    Everything in Civil War will carry more weight because we've grown to know and care about these characters over almost a decade of films. DC and Warner tried to fast track and cut corners to get what Marvel had, and because they did it so sloppily, they may have cost themselves the game before it even kicked off.

DC can announce all the "cool" films they want from here on out, but the audience, made up of fans like me and @doubleoego (as well as most here) who feel very frustrated with them right now, will forever be suspicious and cautious of everything they give us from here on out, whether it's a Batman solo film or an Ant-Man equivalent film with relatively unknown characters. If DC and Warner want our trust, faith and our bucks, they need to earn it back. And after BvS, that's looking like a very difficult mission, my friend.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Obviously JL will be made as planned, nothing will be changed, just because they start shooting these days. Contracts and obligations can't just be overthrown, it's way too late.

JL has at least the advantage to come after such a failure. People will have zero expectations for it, but then that could mean, many will not even bother to go the cinema for it.

Obviously JL will be made as planned, nothing will be changed, just because they start shooting these days. Contracts and obligations can't just be overthrown, it's way too late.

JL has at least the advantage to come after such a failure. People will have zero expectations for it, but then that could mean, many will not even bother to go the cinema for it.

It's 20 months out and they don't even have a script done for it yet, do they? It's definitely not way too late.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 didn't WB confirm they were going to start filming 'Justice League Part 1' at the end of this month?
    They do and in terms of Brady's comment I feel the same way about marvel ant man and avengers age of ultron were both kind of meh for me and civil war looks bad however before you think I hate all marvel movies Captain America The Winter Soldier is the best marvel movie and is better then a ton of batman and 007 films if we are being perfectly honest
    Oh, are they? I've no idea, I just looked up its release date and noted that the last update the production had was that it was in pre-production, so I could be completely wrong.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 They probably pushed it back a bit since BvS hit the theaters.
    Filming was supposed to start on the 11th of this month!
    Well in that case, it's definitely way too late. I'm curious as to why they wouldn't give it a few months in between the release of BvS and the production start date for 'Justice League: Part One,' just to see reviews, check out fan reactions and overall thoughts, etc.
    I suspect they initially believed they had a billion dollars hit on their hands and that the movie would be universally loved; but even going back to last year there were already talks of dissatisfaction with how divisive BvS was amongst WB execs; and Drew McWeeny spoke about this back at the start of February. Naturally, all he did was convey what he was told and gave his opinion on what WB/DC should do and the poor guy got massacred for it from DC fanboys....fast forward 2 months and everything he said turned out to be true!

Even with enough time to be forewarned of a pending problem WB/DC have elected to ignore the ailments of BvS and have continued that careless trend going forward with JL. To think, these morons are actually being paid huge salaries for such mountainous levels of incompetency.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote: »
    To think, these morons are actually being paid huge salaries for such mountainous levels of incompetency.
    If they get paid so much for possessing so little actual ability, I'd posit that they are not morons but very clever ass-kissers.
    :D
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,257
    In scope and tension and consequence, Civil War wins easily. Both films deal with superhero conflicts, but while BvS was only a battle between Batman and Superman (it was only five minutes long, so maybe "scuffle" is a better word), Civil War is exactly that-a war! In BvS Batman and Superman punch each other a bit; okay, cool. In Civil War, all the heroes we've grown to love are picking sides and battling each other. Come on now, you can't tell me BvS is even close to as interesting at that.

Give me a break! This:

_1457647171.jpg

is not a war! In my opinion, Civil War will easily be a better film than BvS. I'm certain Civil War will beat BvS both critically and financially, but like DC's "Dawn of Justice" and JL, this film is happening too soon with not enough proper build up (or characters).
    Aren't (this version of) Spider-Man and Black Panther the only two without some sort of build-up? We've seen everyone else in other films, have we not?
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Aren't (this version of) Spider-Man and Black Panther the only two without some sort of build-up? We've seen everyone else in other films, have we not?
    I've been waiting for Marvel to get their mitts on Spidey for almost as long as I've wanted a Black Panther movie. This is our preview of both! Awesome.
    If this one doesn't pan out as well, they need to give Spider-Man a break for a while, I think.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start

Give me a break! This:

_1457647171.jpg

is not a war! In my opinion, Civil War will easily be a better film than BvS. I'm certain Civil War will beat BvS both critically and financially, but like DC's "Dawn of Justice" and JL, this film is happening too soon with not enough proper build up (or characters).

No proper build up? The MCU is 12 films and four TV series in now. If that isn't enough build up, I don't know what is.
    If this one doesn't pan out as well, they need to give Spider-Man a break for a while, I think.

Raimi's Spidey was pretty good. The recent one was kind of a waste.
    But Marvel KNOWS the character. Look who they cast as Peter. I'm all in for all of it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

Give me a break! This:

_1457647171.jpg

Obviously Marvel can't have all the characters they want in the film, as some are tied up with other studios who have the rights, but they've got plenty of heroes to make this a worthy adaptation of the source, and the vast majority of them have been heavily built up for years now. They have a clear end in sight for these movies, and they're heading there, like it or not.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 17,698
    Captain America: Winter Soldier was one of the best movies in cinematic history. If Civil War is half as good I will be happily camping.
    chrisisall wrote: »

Raimi's Spidey was pretty good. The recent one was kind of a waste.
    But Marvel KNOWS the character. Look who they cast as Peter. I'm all in for all of it.

What worries me is the solo films for Spidey. Sony still have control, and they're a lot like DC and Warner seem to be: made up more of bean counters than fans and who don't really get the characters they're tasked with using. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm more skeptical now that I've ever been.

These genre films need to calm down and tell more focused stories. Not every superhero movie has to have three villains in it for crying out loud. You think people would learn from the likes of Spider-Man 3, The Amazing Spider-Man 2 and BvS that packing movies with too much isn't a good thing. The last two listed also focused too much on teasing future films or spin-offs instead of trying to be a good movie on their own, and look what happened. Sony's whole infrastructure collapsed and BvS's disappointing returns is likely making big changes behind the scenes at DC and Warner.

Marvel are the only ones that offer anything even remotely resembling consistency in the positive. Everyone else either consistently shits the bed or disappoints at times, succeeds at others.

What worries me is the solo films for Spidey. Sony still have control
    Dude, they want MONEY, and they know Marvel knows how to make it.
    EEt's nothing personeel, just beezness.