Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    http://variety.com/2016/film/box-off...an-1201746025/

This is just beyond hilarious

Any film opening huge and having a huge drop sans competition is, for all intents and purposes, a one and done movie.

The interest was obviously there i.e. it's opening weekend but the film failed to deliver on the hype and now the diminishing returns are crystal clear.

BvS should have been decimating records purely on the basis of these iconic characters alone but well this is the result.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @doubleoego, what was the article about? It takes me to a 'Page not found' screen.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @doubleoego, what was the article about? It takes me to a 'Page not found' screen.

The new Melissa McCarthy movie topping BvS.
    I had to look it up - do you mean 'The Boss'? I found a Deadline article from yesterday that questions whether or not it'll beat BvS. If it does, that's real sad.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BvS has catastrophic word of mouth (at least in the German-language region) there was an article about it today in our widest read newspaper.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    I had to look it up - do you mean 'The Boss'? I found a Deadline article from yesterday that questions whether or not it'll beat BvS. If it does, that's real sad.

Yep that's the one. Sad? It's tragic.

Warner Bros.’ Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice might come up $3.7M million short of breaking even in its global theatrical run.However, the first title in DC features 2.0., which was blasted by critics with a 29% Rotten score and given a B CinemaScore from audiences, likely will turn a minimum profit of $207.9M once all revenue streams are accounted. Warner Bros provided no comment about BvS projections. Financial analysts today assembled a bare-minimum projection for the Zack Snyder movie, which is projected to turn in a domestic B.O. of $375M (2.25 times its $166M FSS) and a global take of $925M.

If BvS makes circa $800million it loses a lot of money. According to Deadline, it has to earn in the region of a whopping $930million to NOT lose money all before home media, tv rights and tge such like. This was essentially the reasoning going forward to make big bucks domestically.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well if those budget figures are correct, Warner execs have gone off their rocker. Who endorses that? There was never a chance of this film doing Avengers money. There's not enough lead-up to it.
    Warner Bros. Mulls Releasing Fewer Films as 'Batman v. Superman' Stalls

CEO Kevin  Tsujihara is said to want to reduce releases and focus on his trio of potential hitmaker silos (sound familiar?)

After an abysmal run of expensive underperformers including Jupiter Ascending, Pan and In the Heart of the Sea, the studio launched its effort at a Marvel-style film universe with the DC Comics movie that had been touted as proof the regime installed in 2013 and headed by chairman and CEO Kevin Tsujihara was getting on track. But a dizzying 69 percent plunge that followed its March-record $166.1 million domestic opening ($422.5 million worldwide) means Batman is not a clear win.

Some competitors say the film may turn a profit but hardly will be the money gusher studios hope for when they pour massive resources into making a giant tentpole with a big star — with a budget in this case said to be in excess of $300 million, and Ben Affleck. "The biggest problem," says the head of a rival studio, "is that it is not turning [DC] into Marvel. The audience has communicated, as have the critics." One agent notes BvS likely won't get to $1 billion despite launching the universe with "two of the most iconic characters in history." Pointing out that Jurassic World pulled in $1.67 billion globally, he continues, "you can't tell me Batman v. Superman is so much less valuable."

Several sources say Warner Bros. executives were convinced they had the goods with BvS and were shocked when negative reviews began pouring in. Now, with DC movies dated through 2020, the outcome has led to a flurry of rumors that the studio will make adjustments — maybe add a new producer? — rather than allow BvS director Zack Snyder to proceed with the two-part Justice League. But sources with firsthand knowledge of the situation say the studio has no such plans. One says the filmmakers naturally will evaluate what went wrong with BvS, but when it comes to Justice League, "we're not going to take a movie that's supposed to be one thing and turn it into a copycat of something else."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...g-films-881265

Urgh, this conveys exactly why the DCU can't get started properly. Marvel didn't just occur out of thin air, Fiege had a long term vision and strategically mapped out and put the work in, setting foundations and building from there. WB/DC honestly believed they could catch up in 1 or 2 easy steps by cobbling together a shoddy movie?

What's even more telling is the fact that the execs over at WB/DC regarded and thought this movie was actually good, clearly indicating what all one needs to know about the competency levels of the people running things over there.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    What troubles me the most in all this is, that after the clear failure of Man Of Steel, Warner/DC still let Snyder helm the BvS movie. There lies the main mistake. It should have been clear that Snyder is not capable to do better than MoS and therefore BvS will fail as well.

I'm not sure who is to blame really. Maybe Snyder/Goyer/Terrio for completely failing the DC characters (which was already clear with MoS). Maybe the people in charge at Warner/DC for not seeing and hearing the alarm signs after MoS.

Personally I couldn't care less if Snyder crashes and burns with MoS and now BvS.
    IF that was it.
    But now the same incapable incompetent people will touch my beloved Justice League and probably fail again. They will destroy my lifelong dream of seeing The Justice League come to life on the big screen. I have little hope left that JL will be much better than BvS. It will be more of the same crap they dished us up before with MoS and BvS.

I'm even certain that at least the Superman franchise will be dead after 2017.

The only good thing out of all this mess is Batfleck. I think expectations will not be very high for his solo movie after this and that's a good thing.
    I believe Batfleck can be an artistic and financial success.
    A Warner Bros. event film is set for 2017, while two DC films are slated for 2018 and 2019.

Warner Bros. has shifted the release dates for its upcoming films Wonder Woman and Jungle Book, plus it has dated three more currently untitled films.

Jungle Book, which will be directed by Andy Serkis, is moving back an entire year, from Oct. 6, 2017, to Oct. 19, 2018.

Warner Bros.' Jungle Book movie is one of two competing films based on the Rudyard Kipling's book of the same name. Disney's version, directed by Jon Favreau, comes out on April 15 in the U.S.

"I've got to say that personally I'm absolutely thrilled that Warner Brothers have changed the delivery date of our movie," Serkis wrote Wednesday. "The ambition for this project is huge. What we are attempting is an unprecedented level of psychological and emotional nuance in morphing the phenomenal performances of our cast into the facial expressions of our animals."

He also added: "So, every minute more that we have to evolve the technological pipeline will make all the difference ... the evidence is there already and it's off the chain exciting, so hang on in there ... This is truly next generation storytelling, and it will be the real deal!"

In DC cinematic universe news, Wonder Woman, which will star Gal Gadot (who made her debut in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice), is moving up from June 23, 2017, to June 2, 2017.

Warner Bros. also set dates for two of its now-untitled DC films: Oct. 5, 2018, and Nov. 1, 2019. These new dates are set for yet-to-be announced films and are in addition to the already set DC films, which include Suicide Squad (August 5, 2016), The Flash (March 16, 2018), The Justice League Part One (Nov. 17, 2017), Aquaman (July 27, 2018), Shazam! (April 5, 2019), Justice League Part Two (June 14, 2019) and Cyborg (April 3, 2020)

An untitled WB event film is slated for Oct. 6, 2017.

Like I said in a previous post, WW's previous release date was ridiculous. It would have been slaughtered. Definitely wise and sensible to have moved it out of there.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Wait, is the event film of WB's coming the 6th of October, 2017 connected to the DCCU, or is it something unrelated?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's untitled, thus nobody knows just yet. I'm sure an announcement will arrive in the coming weeks/months, since it's slated to arrive in early October of next year.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I'm really excited for the Jungle Book by Andy Serkis. The other version that comes out next week looks brilliant, and it seems he will push the limit of special effects even further.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2016 Posts: 28,694
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, it's untitled, thus nobody knows just yet. I'm sure an announcement will arrive in the coming weeks/months, since it's slated to arrive in early October of next year.

I was just curious if WB had specified if the film was unconnected to a particular franchise of theirs or if it was part of the upcoming marathon of DC films. Guess we'll just have to wait and see if they didn't specify anything.

If was just confused, since that was reported amongst other DC film news, like the early move of the WW film.

I really hope it's unrelated to the DC films, because they've already got too much coming too fast for my taste. If BvS couldn't manage any of the numbers they expected after its debut, over-saturating the market will only complicate things for them financially.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The market is completely saturated anyway, atleast until 2020. Even the Transformers franchise are aiming to release 3 films between 2017 and 2019. Which is why EON should really lock down a date soon enough, because 2018 and 2019 are looking to be juggernaut years

I really believe the system will collapse on itself soon. As much as I enjoy seeing big blockbusters, there's just way too many franchises and studios planning years and years ahead.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    When is the solo Batman film coming out?
    I don't think there's any news on that yet, but it's been said that Affleck has written a script for one.
    I don't think there's any news on that yet, but it's been said that Affleck has written a script for one.

Thanks. Writing, directing, acting. Will he make the score as well?

Thanks. Writing, directing, acting. Will he make the score as well?

Now I'm picturing Ben, in his batsuit, sitting with bongos just mashing them out of rhythm as WB execs look on in horror. They all want to tell him his idea for a Batman score is bad, but they're worried the golden boy will quit on them.
    It will just be the 60s Batman Theme through the entire film.
    http://batman-news.com/2016/04/06/wonder-woman-dc-comics-movie-release-dates/

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – March 25, 2016
    •Suicide Squad – August 5, 2016
    •Wonder Woman – June 2, 2017
    •Justice League Part One – November 17, 2017
    •The Flash – March 16, 2018
    •Aquaman – July 27, 2018
    •Untitled Movie – October 5, 2018
    •Shazam – April 5, 2019
    •Justice League Part Two – June 14, 2019
    •Untitled Movie – November 1, 2019
    •Cyborg – April 3, 2020
    •Green Lantern – June 19, 2020

I suspect there'll be more reshuffling.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    doubleoego wrote: »
    http://batman-news.com/2016/04/06/wonder-woman-dc-comics-movie-release-dates/

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – March 25, 2016
    •Suicide Squad – August 5, 2016
    •Wonder Woman – June 2, 2017
    •Justice League Part One – November 17, 2017
    •The Flash – March 16, 2018
    •Aquaman – July 27, 2018
    •Untitled Movie – October 5, 2018
    •Shazam – April 5, 2019
    •Justice League Part Two – June 14, 2019
    •Untitled Movie – November 1, 2019
    •Cyborg – April 3, 2020
    •Green Lantern – June 19, 2020

I suspect there'll be more reshuffling.
    Here's the sad thing... I, as a former comic book addict, have no real interest in any of this now (save WW because Gal is hawt), and all I have to say is
    MAKE MINE MARVEL.
    :))
    Ben Kendrick ‏@benkendrick
    We just deleted a comment on @screenrant calling for theater shootings when Civil War release and forwarded it to the FBI. #ComeOnPeople

https://mobile.twitter.com/benkendrick?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Honestly, that's just beyond sick and twisted.
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Ben Kendrick ‏@benkendrick
    We just deleted a comment on @screenrant calling for theater shootings when Civil War release and forwarded it to the FBI. #ComeOnPeople

https://mobile.twitter.com/benkendrick?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

Honestly, that's just beyond sick and twisted.
    OMG, that's just world class nutz...
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Can Superman gather up all those morons and throw them into the sun like he did Nuclear weapons in Superman IV? :D
    Murdock wrote: »
    Can Superman gather up all those morons and throw them into the sun like he did Nuclear weapons in Superman IV? :D
    No Kills! Phantom Zone for them!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    chrisisall wrote: »

It's not killing when it's as bad as nuclear weapons. :))
    chrisisall wrote: »

It's not killing when it's as bad as nuclear weapons. :))

Plus, if Superman throws them into the sun fast enough (which we know he will), he's not technically killing them. They'd be vaporized to ash so fast it'd be like they just...disappeared. Yeah, disappeared.
  • //Which is why EON should really lock down a date soon enough...//

Eon doesn't lock down release dates. Eon complains when the studio wants to release sooner than it does (see joint Barbara Broccoli-Daniel Craig interview after a Sony executive said Bond 24 would probably be out in Bond 24, with the duo saying the executive didn't know what he was talking about.

Ultimately, the studio does, although it has to take into account the wishes of the sole production source of Bond films.

At the moment, there is no studio to release Bond 25. MGM can't release a Bond movie on its down. Eon doesn't release movies.
    Just a few points

1. I still want all comic book movies to be successful (even though civil war is the same movie as batman v superman)

2. My hope is WB moves forward with their DCU

Look as much as I hate to say it yes batman v superman is not making as much money as it should and I am quite upset over it as I loved the movie. Seeing it Saturday and still happy about it. My hope is wb is smart but doesn't do the same Thing they always do when a movie bombs (god I hate using that term for BVS) which is pull the plug wait 3-5 years and start over. The issue with this is for the most part the cast is strong with the DCU Jason Mamoa (probably mis spelling his name) looks like the comic book aquaman Come to life Affleck just is the best batman ever Irons is fantastic as Alfred Gadot is amazing as Wonder Woman. Ok the casting for Flash and Cyborg are kind of meh with me and I am sorry I want to love superman I just don't in fact the only version of the character I like suit wise was that weird Superman Blue thing in the late 90's. But Cavill is ok sure he is wooden but so is the character so it kind of works...

Personally they have the cast and crew ready for Justice League in my opinion they should do justice league I would even give Snyder one more chance but have Affleck (a better director) be sort of a ghost director make sure the project is going to his standards including the script. Affleck can write an Oscar winning script so if he sees flaws in logic or characters not acting like the comic book counterparts (as according to Kevin Smith he is a huge fan of the comics) he should be allowed to speak up and re write or re direct the scene.

If DC wants to win the next few comic cons announce That Ben Affleck is doing a solo trilogy as Batman and throw out the usual titles and references that will make fans get excited (for the first one the killing joke for example second one could be based on hush etc) and there you go Affleck can more then likely play batman for 10 years or so and be fine with it so I would prefer he gets more then one solo batman film. As much as I hate to admit it while I am tired of the joker the rest of the world isn't my guess is sucide squad might actually out do most of the marvel movies because you have the joker being well the joker plus it's something new (something Sony was going to try but got too nervous and pulled the plug) Villains teaming up to take on other villains this could get interesting.

Plus if this summer we get not only the announcement of Affleck's first batman film but the title and we get to meet the cast and the cast list is this

Batman: Hush
    Ben Affleck Batman
    Jeremy Irons Alfred
    Jared Leto Joker
    will smith Dead shot
    Margo Robbie Harley Quinn
    Matt Damon Hush

Yeah expect people to be only talking about the above and not what marvel is doing no matter what they show or announce.