Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited November 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Murdock wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    For once I'd like a reboot that isn't played safe to "Appeal to the masses" What happened to movies made for target audiences? Films made for "Fans" not random bystanders who might not even like the film.
    How did MoS play it safe?

I was mainly speaking of most reboots as a whole, but for MoS it just ticked the boxes of every typical summer Blockbuster. Recognizable icon? Check. Lightly touched on Backstory? Check. Explosions? CHECK CHECK CHECK.

I thought it did a good job of breaking that mold and becoming more than just a blockbuster. It had a heart that a lot of those films miss.

Plus, I don't understand how you can criticize Superman being a recognizable icon. It's not the film's fault, and how is that a bad thing anyway? Is every future Batman, Die Hard, Indiana Jones or Star Wars film just ticking the boxes because they all have iconic characters in them?

I also don't find the backstory to be lightly touched on, considering we spend at least half an hour on Krypton and even more in Kansas. Regardless, everyone should know Superman's backstory at this point, considering he has been around for over 70 years. I mean, come on.
    I will say I found Cavill to be completely bland in the role. Reeves had wit and a charm about him and he made the character interesting. Cavill had none of that. Still, he was better than Routh I guess.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

I thought it did a good job of breaking that mold and becoming more than just a blockbuster. It had a heart that a lot of those films miss.

It might have but it's execution was a mess.
    Plus, I don't understand how you can criticize Superman being a recognizable icon. It's not the film's fault, and how is that a bad thing anyway? Is every future Batman, Die Hard, Indiana Jones or Star Wars film just ticking the boxes because they all have iconic characters in them?

When the character is used simply to cash in and put butts in seats that's bad.
    I also don't find the backstory to be lightly touched on, considering we spend at least half an hour on Krypton and even more in Kansas. Regardless, everyone should know Superman's backstory at this point, considering he has been around for over 70 years. I mean, come on.

It was poorly edited with bad shaky cam. Yeah we know the story but some care could have been put into it to make it flow well. The movie was pretty jumbled. Past, Future, Present, Past, Present, Past, Present. It couldn't make up it's mind. Like I said the movie was Mediocre at best. It could have been handled much better than it was. You like it, that's okay. I respect that.
    The best scenes were with Kevin Costner. Brings real pathos and emotion to the role. The film suffers whenever he's not on screen.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The best scenes were with Kevin Costner. Brings real pathos and emotion to the role. The film suffers whenever he's not on screen.

Amen to that. Costner saved the film when he was in it. His scenes reminded me a lot of my own father.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:

When the character is used simply to cash in and put butts in seats that's bad.

I don't think Superman was cashed in on at all, or any of the characters.

Pa Kent is actually one of the elements of the film I wish was better. I liked the idea of Superman's two fathers, much like Batman who has both his father Thomas and Alfred, but Jor outshined John big time in my eyes. I just wish more was done with Pa Kent. I will admit though, the moment where
    Clark says he just wants to pretend being his son and Pa says he is his son made me get tears in my eyes.
    A very well executed scene.

Still, I don't like how much he wanted Clark to hide who he was, and thought his death was poorly executed and unnecessary.
    I will say I found Cavill to be completely bland in the role. Reeves had wit and a charm about him and he made the character interesting. Cavill had none of that. Still, he was better than Routh I guess.

There are times where the cast stumble, sure, but I think that is more to do with some of the writing than anything else. I mean, Pulitzer Prize winning Lois "freaking" Lane says the word "tinkle!" Unacceptable...

In all seriousness, I think Henry had some great moments, my favorite of which is
    the shrill yell he gives after killing Zod. It was so powerful and really helped underscore what Superman had just done, sacrificing the hopes and dreams of his planet for the well-being of earth's population.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    In a word, I found MOS to be forgettable. The only thing I really remember about the movie was how great Michael Shannon was in it.
  • edited November 2013 Posts: 2,598

I remember saying after I'd just seen the film that I thought that Cavill was relatively boring in the role and that my favourite scenes in MOS were the ones with Costner who gave a good performance.

• edited November 2013 Posts: 6,396
    Bounine wrote:

I remember saying after I'd just seen the film that I thought that Cavill was relatively boring in the role and that my favourite scenes in MOS were the ones with Costner who gave a good performance.

Cavill is no Chris Reeves that's for damn sure!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I wasn't a big Superman fan until I saw MoS. I had low expectations for it and I loved it.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I wasn't a big Superman fan until I saw MoS. I had low expectations for it and I loved it.

I think that's sometimes key. The level of expectation can sway your opinion of a film. To be honest, my expectations of MoS were met. I thought it would be mediocre and that's how I'd describe it best.
    After watching Anne Hathaway in the behind the scenes stuff in the Dark Knight rises it makes me even more upset regarding the fact she was only in one film when honestly she should of been in the whole trilogy...
    Photos of the Kent farm construction:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=111929
    Cool nice little bday present for me
    Risico007 wrote:
    Cool nice little bday present for me

Happy Birthday!
    Happy Birthday @Risico007 :-)
    Well technically my bday is tomorrow thanks though one year on my bday it was rumored bond 23 would feature New York City one of 4 locations I want that was a good bday
    Gal Gadot from the 'Fast & Furious' films has been cast as Wonder Woman in the film:

http://bit.ly/1ePJVDg
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This film will either be even better for this or just more of a mess.
    So they're pretty much turning this into Justice League then?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    I am worried.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Too many unintroduced super heroes can ruin a movie. The Avengers had the benefit of all the heroes and the villain already being set up in previous films. Right now, we just have Superman established, and now they're throwing in both Batman and Wonder Woman.
    I am ok with it... still annoyed that it is UNTITLED! but meh
    Too many unintroduced super heroes can ruin a movie. The Avengers had the benefit of all the heroes and the villain already being set up in previous films. Right now, we just have Superman established, and now they're throwing in both Batman and Wonder Woman.

I was thinking exactly the same thing!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Gal Gadot as WW is a failed casting choice imo. I really do worry for this "sequel".
    I was holding out for Jamie Alexander, but we'll see I guess.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I really hope that Wonder Woman ends up as a cameo hinting toward another film, and not as a main part of the film. Is the next character to be cast the Martian Manhunter?
  • doubleoego wrote:
    Gal Gadot as WW is a failed casting choice imo. I really do worry for this "sequel".

She looks nothing like the character she's supposed to be portraying. Of course, neither does Daniel Craig.... ;)
    doubleoego wrote:

She looks nothing like the character she's supposed to be portraying. Of course, neither does Daniel Craig.... ;)

I've no idea why you'd say that.
    Super Wonder Bat Woman-Man-Man is the new title then... ;-)