Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Risico007 wrote: »
    The word is THAN, not THEN i.e. 'better than the Nolan films', 'tell stories rather than over use'. Plus you talk a load of bollocks. Exposition is there for a reason.
    So your saying your opinion is better THAN mine. Jeez grow up. You hate the film fine but I like it and I don't have to hide my view.

Didn't say that. Everyone's opinion is valid. But it's just that. An opinion.

But I think Brady has a point with this:-

For me, who has wanted to see this just as much as them, it doesn't win me over and only angers me. It angers me because Snyder and his team have stuffed an endless amount of brilliant comic story arcs into one movie, only the second in the franchise, and done a shoddy job of using all of them, especially TDKR and The Death of Superman. In classic Snyder fashion, he only rips visuals from the comics and leaves behind the emotional punch and meaning those moments carry, though at this point I have no right to be surprised. The anger I feel comes from how infuriated I am that they wasted such beautiful moments without giving the films room to breathe, or the characters time to develop actual friendships. It's already upsetting when the film acts like it doesn't need to explain anything to me and I'll go along with it anyway because PARADEMONS, but another thing entirely when it then ruins comic book stories that could've had such a devastating and beautiful emotional impact if used correctly.

Film needs to be more than just slam-bang visuals.
    And I really hate that everything these days seems to be about box-office. A sad inditement of our times. Glad you enjoyed the film @Risico007, but for me I'll stay as far away from any Zack Snyder film as I can!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    BvS only managed to break even because of the US BO, in Europe it is not even a Top 15 movie for this year ticket sales wise.
    The future looks grim for JL.
    Anybody knows how much it costs? I hope it's considerably less expensive otherwise it will be a financial disaster.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    With the marketing budget added the JL movie is rumoured to cost between $400 and $450million.
    Hey at least we didn't get the Andrew Kevin Walker script. Seriously everyone read that and then say what we got was the worst thing that could of happened to those characters.... Bruce gets married to a clone joker created only to kill her and some how Luthor is there and you know what don't read the Walker script it will hurt your head lol.

In total I feel this thread should be closed and we should move on nothing more to really talk about batman v superman barely broke even is it a flop no it's not (wb likely made a ton of money back on merchandising since it's all in house so they aren't losing too much sleep) is it the box office winner they and I hoped it would be nope. Do I understand the critiscsms (apart from Bruce killing again I don't get the issue nor do I gat how Bale's batman isn't a mass murder considering what he did in Begins The dark knight and wait a minute he killed Talia in The Dark knight rises no sorry Nolan's batman killed) yeah I don't nesscarily agree with all of them but I am not going to complain.

The lovers of the film have had their say as have the haters my feeling is we should all just take a deep breath and move forward to brighter things like Sucide Squad and Affleck's batman and Wonder Woman.

To be honest am I nervous about Justice league yeah absolutely should wb stop it dead in its track unfortunately they can't they would be out a lot of money (i am assuming movie shoots are similar to rock tours in that the crew could be out tons of money if the film isn't made and this could cost WB)

I still say let Affleck "ghost direct" Justice league. Let Snyder compose his ripped from the comic book shots (that even the biggest hater has to agree Snyder does flawlessly) but make sure Affleck is around to keep the plot in tact and make sure the story makes sense without going to long or with to many plot holes.

Also Wb can still win comic con this year with two things

1 an amazing Justice league trailer

2. Announcing The title of the next Batman film (especially if it has comic book roots like Batman Hush or Batman Under the red Hood) and bringing out some of the cast to do a small Q and A (specifically Affleck Simmons Irons and maybe Smith if they are using Deadshot as one of the rumors was a good the bad and the ugly type movie with Batman Deadshot and Joker)

And there you go and before Doubleego says "wb can't win no matter what" don't be so sure Batman is what saved Batman v Superman from being a flop honestly as even people who hate the film praise Affleck's portrayal and love his batman like I said his solo batman film will make fans super excited. I even love I think it was your suggestion Doubleego of titling the film Batman Redemption though I fear with that kind of title under the red hood/death in the family is pretty much gaurenteed and I am a little tired of batman taking on the joker. (Seriously am I the only person who would be interested in seeing batman have to defuse a Mob war between "the freaks" lead by Black Mask or Ventriliquist versus the mob run by Carmine Falcone or Sal Maroni)

Really only me ? Sigh
    @Risico007

No not only you! I really don't want to see Joker again in a cinematic Batman.
    Jack Nicholson was perfect, Ledger was highly overrated and Jared Leto, well...we'll see about that.
    If Joker is in Batfleck's solo movie I will be highly disappointed.

All the main villains have been done. There are so many lesser known villains that would be fabulous for a live action movie.
    I really would love to see Nightwing with Batfleck, it would make sense. But of course stupid Snyder killed that opportunity with BvS.
    Hey at least we didn't get the Andrew Kevin Walker script. Seriously everyone read that and then say what we got was the worst thing that could of happened to those characters.... Bruce gets married to a clone joker created only to kill her and some how Luthor is there and you know what don't read the Walker script it will hurt your head lol.

In total I feel this thread should be closed and we should move on nothing more to really talk about batman v superman barely broke even is it a flop no it's not (wb likely made a ton of money back on merchandising since it's all in house so they aren't losing too much sleep) is it the box office winner they and I hoped it would be nope. Do I understand the critiscsms (apart from Bruce killing again I don't get the issue nor do I gat how Bale's batman isn't a mass murder considering what he did in Begins The dark knight and wait a minute he killed Talia in The Dark knight rises no sorry Nolan's batman killed) yeah I don't nesscarily agree with all of them but I am not going to complain.

The lovers of the film have had their say as have the haters my feeling is we should all just take a deep breath and move forward to brighter things like Sucide Squad and Affleck's batman and Wonder Woman.

To be honest am I nervous about Justice league yeah absolutely should wb stop it dead in its track unfortunately they can't they would be out a lot of money (i am assuming movie shoots are similar to rock tours in that the crew could be out tons of money if the film isn't made and this could cost WB)

I still say let Affleck "ghost direct" Justice league. Let Snyder compose his ripped from the comic book shots (that even the biggest hater has to agree Snyder does flawlessly) but make sure Affleck is around to keep the plot in tact and make sure the story makes sense without going to long or with to many plot holes.

2. Announcing The title of the next Batman film (especially if it has comic book roots like Batman Hush or Batman Under the red Hood) and bringing out some of the cast to do a small Q and A (specifically Affleck Simmons Irons and maybe Smith if they are using Deadshot as one of the rumors was a good the bad and the ugly type movie with Batman Deadshot and Joker)

And there you go and before Doubleego says "wb can't win no matter what" don't be so sure Batman is what saved Batman v Superman from being a flop honestly as even people who hate the film praise Affleck's portrayal and love his batman like I said his solo batman film will make fans super excited. I even love I think it was your suggestion Doubleego of titling the film Batman Redemption though I fear with that kind of title under the red hood/death in the family is pretty much gaurenteed and I am a little tired of batman taking on the joker. (Seriously am I the only person who would be interested in seeing batman have to defuse a Mob war between "the freaks" lead by Black Mask or Ventriliquist versus the mob run by Carmine Falcone or Sal Maroni)

Really only me ? Sigh

That wasn't me who suggested that or any title for tge upcoming batman film and secondly, I'm willing to make a wager that WB/DC will not be the highlight at comicon and I say that with unwavering confidence.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Ledger overrated? His performance as the Joker may be overly talked about, copied and hailed, sure, but overrated? Definitely not.
    Care to make it interesting I could use the money lol
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Ledger overrated? His performance as the Joker may be overly talked about, copied and hailed, sure, but overrated? Definitely not.

Best Joker by far, but am I the only one who is reminded of Michael Keaton s Beetlejuice?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    Care to make it interesting I could use the money lol

£500

I'll send you my sort code and account details for you to deposit my winnings.
    We will see
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    In total I feel this thread should be closed and we should move on nothing more to really talk about batman v superman barely broke even is it a flop no it's not (wb likely made a ton of money back on merchandising since it's all in house so they aren't losing too much sleep) is it the box office winner they and I hoped it would be nope.
    We can't close this thread, there's still the Extended Cut that we will need to talk about. :P

This. Aside from the Comic Con trailer for BvS (which I thought was good), none of the others really blew me away so hoping they do give us an awesome trailer that doesn't give alot away.
    And there you go and before Doubleego says "wb can't win no matter what" don't be so sure Batman is what saved Batman v Superman from being a flop honestly as even people who hate the film praise Affleck's portrayal and love his batman like I said his solo batman film will make fans super excited.

Really only me ? Sigh
    Just you cause I really don't want another batman film. I feel like with DC it's just "Batman, Batman, Batman!" I really want another Superman film that is done better, but I'm also looking forward to see what the other Justice leaguer's films have to offer.
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    edited April 2016 Posts: 1,257
    Wonder Woman's First Appearance

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Wonder Woman's First Appearance

That ALONE is enough to make me want to see this film.
    I will definitely rent it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Just saw this yesterday. Massive disappointment even though I was aware of the bad reviews.

The story was awful and way too much was crammed into the film. Batman's motivation for bringing down Superman was ridiculous and out of character. As was Superman's for destroying Batman.

I see Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns has been pillaged yet again by unoriginal writers.

Overall the film is a mess and boy does it drag! Compare it with Spectre that had a similar running time and Spectre seems to fly along!

Liked Ben Affleck as Batman and perhaps he deserves his own film. Best scene in the film was Batman taking out Luthor's goons in the building. THAT is how Batman fights!
    Just saw this yesterday. Massive disappointment even though I was aware of the bad reviews.

The story was awful and way too much was crammed into the film. Batman's motivation for bringing down Superman was ridiculous and out of character. As was Superman's for destroying Batman.

I see Frank Miller's The Dark Knight Returns has been pillaged yet again by unoriginal writers.

Overall the film is a mess and boy does it drag! Compare it with Spectre that had a similar running time and Spectre seems to fly along!

Liked Ben Affleck as Batman and perhaps he deserves his own film. Best scene in the film was Batman taking out Luthor's goons in the building. THAT is how Batman fights!

spot-on =D>
    There is no question that TDKR by Miller is the better story. I still enjoyed the film.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    There is no question that TDKR by Miller is the better story. I still enjoyed the film.

@Thunderfinger, TDKR is indeed a better story. @Murdock and I seem to agree that the animated adaptation of the film is actually the best Batman film ever made. I just don't see BvS as an adaptation of TDKR.

TDKR is infinitely better than BvS
    It was merely inspired by it in a few sequences. Haven t seen the animated TDKR yet.
    It was merely inspired by it in a few sequences. Haven t seen the animated TDKR yet.

It's well worth seeing the animated TDKR. It comes in 2 parts.

The only thing missing is the Batman voiceover. But it's still a very good adaptation.

The animated Year One is also well worth a look.

But do they bring anything new to the table if you already own the comic books?

That's a good point but yes, i still think they're worth seeing in their animated form as they're beautifully animated and have great soundtracks.

The fight between Batman and the Mutant leader is worth seeing on it's own!

Of course! The soundtrack! On the other hand, when I read the comics, I can have any soundtrack I like from my own music collection.

Year One and the two parter TDKR are a must see imho, especially if you love the comics.
    edited April 2016 Posts: 3,985
    Of course! The soundtrack! On the other hand, when I read the comics, I can have any soundtrack I like from my own music collection.

Hey, i'm not going to force you to watch them! Entirely up to you!

You can see clips from them on Youtube to get the idea of what they're like.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

The soundtrack is very good. It's got an 80's synth sound in a modern style. It does sound a bit like Zimmer's work but with actual themes for specific characters. Christopher Drake really outdid himself for it.
    I will buy them if I find them.
    Murdock wrote: »

The soundtrack is very good. It's got an 80's synth sound in a modern style. It does sound a bit like Zimmer's work but with actual themes for specific characters. Christopher Drake really outdid himself for it.

Yeah, i love the scores. The Joker's theme is especially creepy!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Christopher Drake is the unsung hero of the Batman universe. His musical work for the animated films and recent video games is STUNNING! The reference to the mutant leader fight and Joker's Theme is spot-on! I recommend everyone who's into his music to check out the Fat-Man on Batman podcast where Kev Smith interviews Drake. It's so good. You can find it on YT. He went for a Carpenter-esque style for TDKR, and it pays off, every second of it. This score is in heavy rotation on my mp3 player.

The two part animated film is also brilliant. I don't even mind the lack of 'familiar' voices as the substitutes are simply great. The one thing that keeps the film from being 'perfect' is that it lacks the complexity and details of some of the best Japanimation films like Ghost In The Shell: Innocence. But other than that: phenomenal achievement.