Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Artemis81 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Justice League Plot (Fully written by Terrio):
    You know as long as it is well written, there's awesome action, characters have good stories and a good editor, it can be great movie. Although I don't think I like Lois having such an important role.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    As long as no Snyder.
    I wouldn't mind having Snyder back, he just needs someone else to review the film with him and point out what works and what doesn't.
    In other words, bitch slap him when necessary-?
    B-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Justice League Plot (Fully written by Terrio):
    You know as long as it is well written, there's awesome action, characters have good stories and a good editor, it can be great movie. Although I don't think I like Lois having such an important role.
    As long as no Snyder.
    I wouldn't mind having Snyder back, he just needs someone else to review the film with him and point out what works and what doesn't.
    B-)

Talk about a full time job...
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited April 2016 Posts: 543
    B-)
    Well, if that's what it takes to get a good movie out of him....
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2016 Posts: 28,694
    B-)

@chrisisall, I don't think slapping is enough this time. No, Snyder needs sucker punched.

See what I did there? >:)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    B-)

@chrisisall, I don't think slapping is enough this time. No, Snyder needs sucker punched.

See what I did there? >:)
    HAHAHAHAHAH

• BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I don't know which part of Bull v Shit Terrio caused, but I would sleep much better if I knew that neither Goyer nor Terrio had anything to do with the script of Justice League!
    This video is so on the money it hurts:

Ugh, I dislike it even more after watching that, and I didn't think that was really possible at this point. All the missed potential keeps me up at night.
    851 million USD, will not get much higher now.

Shame, I was hoping for at least 1.2-1.5 billion which it should have made easily without any competition in sight. It's Batman and Superman in the same movie!

How on earth could this happen. Just imagine BvS had opened in May.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    From the end of this week it's truly pretty much game over. Civil War comes out in a few territories and out in the US next Friday with a sraggered releases in other territories. In any case, BvS surprisingly crossed $850million and is now sitting on 851m; the majority of its $$$ coming from Brazil of all places while domestically it's practically dead. Given the circumstances I'd say that BvS at the most will land between $870 and $890 million.

Also to note:

5th weekend: BvS: $5,520,000

5th weekend: ANT-MAN (flavour of the month)$5,493,417

With the great reception Ant-Man got and tge buzz he's getting in Civil War, it's funny how it's a legitimate possibility and reasonable likelihood that Ant-Man 2 could end up out grossing Justice League.
    I wish the mod's would close this thread and reopen the solo batman film I tried to create as I genuinely don't care about box office returns or how much others hate Batman v Superman I loved it again the only issue I have is end the film with the shot of the trinity and that is it. The doomsday battle death of superman and batman saying we need to build a team all could of been done in justice league part one but regardless I loved the movie I loved even Luthor etc...

For me the second issue I don't have but I can see why it isn't for anyone Snyder is a visual director he uses shots and looks to tell stories rather then over use exposition (as marvel movies and Christopher Nolan did) for me the film makes sense I don't need to know how Luthor figured out Bruce was batman or Clark was superman because it's really not important at least for me. Was Lois a wet blanket in the film yeah but no worse then Padame constantly being shoe horned into the prequels because of Luke and Leia. (Plus this means batman gets to bang Wonderwoman so I like that) could they have explained why Luthor was nutty (at my local comic book shop we discussed this I feel it was because he was infected by Braniac where my friend who gave it a B+ felt it was Darkside controlling Luthor) sure but I don't mind it.

Like I said I still rank it above well every other batman film Affleck was perfect I hope he is used more in sucide squad (I also hope the batman versus joker that some fanboys and wb are craving is taken care of in sucide squad and they get it out of their system) heck he is why I am super excited s out Justice league and his solo batman film (plus the best dam Alfred ever Jeremy Irons)

My opinion still hasn't changed its just better then the Nolan films it's better then the Burton films or Schumacher's tenure. It's just that good and it might be my favorite batman film of all time one Saturday I plan on watching batman begins and batman v superman back to back to clearly understand which is my favorite film of all time.

• Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    The word is THAN, not THEN i.e. 'better than the Nolan films', 'tell stories rather than over use'. Plus you talk a load of bollocks. Exposition is there for a reason.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I wish the mod's would close this thread and reopen the solo batman film I tried to create as I genuinely don't care about box office returns or how much others hate Batman v Superman I loved it again the only issue I have is end the film with the shot of the trinity and that is it. The doomsday battle death of superman and batman saying we need to build a team all could of been done in justice league part one but regardless I loved the movie I loved even Luthor etc...

For me the second issue I don't have but I can see why it isn't for anyone Snyder is a visual director he uses shots and looks to tell stories rather then over use exposition (as marvel movies and Christopher Nolan did) for me the film makes sense I don't need to know how Luthor figured out Bruce was batman or Clark was superman because it's really not important at least for me. Was Lois a wet blanket in the film yeah but no worse then Padame constantly being shoe horned into the prequels because of Luke and Leia. (Plus this means batman gets to bang Wonderwoman so I like that) could they have explained why Luthor was nutty (at my local comic book shop we discussed this I feel it was because he was infected by Braniac where my friend who gave it a B+ felt it was Darkside controlling Luthor) sure but I don't mind it.

Like I said I still rank it above well every other batman film Affleck was perfect I hope he is used more in sucide squad (I also hope the batman versus joker that some fanboys and wb are craving is taken care of in sucide squad and they get it out of their system) heck he is why I am super excited s out Justice league and his solo batman film (plus the best dam Alfred ever Jeremy Irons)

My opinion still hasn't changed its just better then the Nolan films it's better then the Burton films or Schumacher's tenure. It's just that good and it might be my favorite batman film of all time one Saturday I plan on watching batman begins and batman v superman back to back to clearly understand which is my favorite film of all time.

All this suggests to me is that the movie gives no answers, and you're making them up yourself. When a movie relies entirely on headcanon, that's not a good thing. There's no internal continuity at that point, and every movie can be 100% contradictory, which just defeats the purpose of an inter-connected universe.

Oh, and "visuals instead of exposition"? Didn't actually see Watchmen, 300, or Man of Steel?
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    This video is so on the money it hurts:

Ugh, I dislike it even more after watching that, and I didn't think that was really possible at this point. All the missed potential keeps me up at night.
    I loved this video, I watched it so many times. They ask a lot of good questions with regards to "Why are Batman and Superman fighting?", "Why is Lex acting this way?", "What is Lois's purpose in the film?" etc. I agree with Angry Joe's rant at the end re: the Death of Superman - should have been a powerful moment if given more to time to develop a connection with Superman.

@Risico007, I'm glad that you enjoy that movie and I, for one, wouldn't want info being spoon fed to me, but with a movie that is touching upon some heavy themes and introducing new characters, you don't want to be questioning why things are happening. Visuals are one thing, but if they story isn't very coherent, those visual mean nothing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'm entirely on the same wavelength as Kevin Smith in his review:

The film isn't perfect, which I never claimed by the way, but there's a lot of stuff to enjoy. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Lois Lane s purpose in any Superman film is to be kidnapped by some villains so Superman can rescue her. A bit like Popeye and Olive Oil.
    The word is THAN, not THEN i.e. 'better than the Nolan films', 'tell stories rather than over use'. Plus you talk a load of bollocks. Exposition is there for a reason.
    So your saying your opinion is better THAN mine. Jeez grow up. You hate the film fine but I like it and I don't have to hide my view.
    I like the film too, @Risico007, so welcome to the club. I feel deeply ashamed though for it didn't make 1,5 billion dollars in 5 weeks. Such a low bar to meet...

[/sarcasm]
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Lois Lane s purpose in any Superman film is to be kidnapped by some villains so Superman can rescue her. A bit like Popeye and Olive Oil.

That was a gripe of mine with BvS, she seemed to be smack dab in the middle of just about any important or influential scene, some times for no reason at all. If that leaked 'Justice League' plot holds any truth, seems she'll be an even bigger character this time around.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    I am not really a fan of Adam's Lois. She seems a bit miscast to me, even though Adams herself is a very good actress. I think the role ideally requires someone with a little more spark/gusto, but I admit my view may be clouded by memories of Margot Kidder's interpretation.
    A question from someone who gets very confused by the box office and all that stuff and who isn't very in the loop when it comes to superhero films at all.

Is the relatively (considering the budget, marketing and subject matter) disappointing box office to do with the quality of the film, or is it indicative of a larger trend? I feel like I've heard less and less about superhero films smashing records and all this (Iron Man 3 was the last one I can remember people making a big fuss about). So does this film underperforming show that people are getting more tired of superhero films in general, or is it more likely because most people didn't think it was any good?

I think the problem isn't that there are too many films in this genre, but that they all tend to follow one of a handful of dull formulas. Less big dull Marvel and DC films and more stuff like Kick Ass and Dredd please. Having said that I did really enjoy the Nolan trilogy. Even Rises, which was a shambles storywise imo, but was still a brilliantly made end to that saga.

To be fair I had zero interest in watching this film (hated Man Of Steel, trailers didn't appeal to me) and if it did moderately well, got mediocre reviews and stuff (60 odd percent on RT, etc) then I don't know if I ever would have done. But the terrible reviews have actually made me slightly more interested to watch the end product, so I'll definitely give it a watch when it hits Sky Movies.
    I'm not sure I ever liked a Lois to be frank, at least not in the live action films. Kidder worked for me but only in the very first movie. She was 'cute', which is the kindest thing I can say about her. I never liked Teri Hatcher! (Never!) Bosworth was only so-and-so and Adams is serviceable but that's about it.
    @thelivingroyale, more than anything, I think horrid word of mouth and the poor quality of the movie from a majority of the moviegoing public sunk BvS's ship.

When the critics came out in full force with nary a positive review in sight, people got cautious, but I think that also drove people out to see what it was like for themselves. Everyone in the world went out to see it at least once, because it's BvS, but it seems to have left a similar bad taste in many people's mouths, including mine, that stopped most from doing repeat viewings.

Add that to the other films coming out, like Civil War, and BvS will only continue to lose theaters around the world as its BO gains continue to plummet.

I don't think BvS's failures are indicative of people getting sick of superhero movies. As you will soon see with Civil War, which will likely gross what BvS has in less than a week and crush records in the dozens, people still love superhero movies. They just want good ones to watch.

And I think that because it's such a phenomena now and its own genre at this point, with so many superhero movies being made the moviegoing public have grown so familiar with these kinds of films that they can easily spot the ones that don't live up to expectations, and that are just plain bad, such as this one.

@Artemis81, I loved that review too. Joe's ending rant about Superman's death was so beautiful to watch, and it made my heart hurt that we didn't get what he had envisioned the death of Superman being on the big screen.

@Risico007, in the case of Snyder's direction, there's not leaning as heavily on exposition, and then there's throwing it entirely to the wolves, as he and his team do so tragically in the film. And when the stuff the film doesn't explain is meshed with how illogical everything is, we have a serious issue.

Batman gets a vision from the future and talks to Flash, things that take five minutes out of the movie and that nobody outside of fans could understand. KGBeast helps frame Superman for the Africa incident, seemingly forgetting that Superman doesn't use guns as he mows people down; the public believes it anyway. Lex wants to frame Superman for the Congress bombing, mysteriously shows up but never goes into the room, gets away at the last second and nobody suspects anything. The moment happens and then nothing more is spoken of it, not even of Superman being the cause of it. Lex is somehow able to read Batman's mind and makes sure that he acts out his plan with Superman the very moment, right down to the second, that Batman is ready to fight him. Do I even need to pick that one apart? Superman then labels himself as a bad guy and fully intends to kill Batman to save his mom, when he could have just zipped to the building and saved her, or held Batman down and told him the situation. Which reminds me, how can Superman hear Lois from clear across the world, IN AFRICA, but he can't hear the cries of his own mother in close proximity, the woman who helped him control his powers in the first place since he was a boy?!

All of this garbage plotting sinks this movie. When you don't know why things are happening, or those reasons are so beyond illogical and imbecilic that you can barely focus on the film at hand, that's not good. When the Batman and Superman fight happens (again, barely four minutes long), you check out because you know these two don't even need to fight in the first place, and what happens in the fight then holds no meaning or impact, just like Superman's death and so much of the rest of the film.

Some people out there, like Kevin Smith (who I love by the way) can be won over by a film that shows us Parademons or Batman and Superman fighting, because they've been waiting forever to see them on the big screen and those images are enough to win their nostalgic hearts over.

For me, who has wanted to see this just as much as them, it doesn't win me over and only angers me. It angers me because Snyder and his team have stuffed an endless amount of brilliant comic story arcs into one movie, only the second in the franchise, and done a shoddy job of using all of them, especially TDKR and The Death of Superman. In classic Snyder fashion, he only rips visuals from the comics and leaves behind the emotional punch and meaning those moments carry, though at this point I have no right to be surprised. The anger I feel comes from how infuriated I am that they wasted such beautiful moments without giving the films room to breathe, or the characters time to develop actual friendships. It's already upsetting when the film acts like it doesn't need to explain anything to me and I'll go along with it anyway because PARADEMONS, but another thing entirely when it then ruins comic book stories that could've had such a devastating and beautiful emotional impact if used correctly.

Honestly, I'd rather have never seen a Parademon or Batman and Superman fighting on the big screen if this is the kind of low-bar quality we'll be getting. By delivering a shockingly bad movie, Snyder has now stopped future directors and writers who can actually tell stories and who have more talent beyond the visual from using TDKR, the Death of Superman and many other comic stories in their projects. Bad form.

So, for anyone that wants to see Batman and Superman fight, and have that conflict be something that makes sense and carries an impact, I advise you to pick up the beautiful two part animated feature of The Dark Knight Returns WB animation recently did. For those that want to see The Death of Superman arc done right, watch Superman: Doomsday. These movies, unlike BvS, tell the comic book stories beyond copying visuals, and present to you emotional and satisfying adaptations of the source material.

Unfortunately, for the foreseeable future we'll have to rely on DC animated features, TV shows and comic books to see our characters done justice, as this franchise looks no more promising than a napalm enema (shout out to Mark Hamill).
    Lois Lane in a Justice League movie is just so bloody wrong. Is that a fact?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'm not sure I ever liked a Lois to be frank, at least not in the live action films. Kidder worked for me but only in the very first movie. She was 'cute', which is the kindest thing I can say about her. I never liked Teri Hatcher! (Never!) Bosworth was only so-and-so and Adams is serviceable but that's about it.

Lois was best in the 1940s animated show.
    @Thunderfinger, I actually agree, she was. And those cartoons were the best we've ever seen from Supes.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Thunderfinger, I actually agree, she was. And those cartoons were the best we've ever seen from Supes.

I was more of a fan of the 90s Superman: The Animated Series, myself.
    Well well well...BvS ended its month-long China run on Sunday with ¥619M ($95.15M). That being said BvS being released in China is the only reason why it has outgrossed....Deadpool! Let that sink in. Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman being compared to Deadpool. The latter didn't even get a China release and it also didn't have the luxury of 3d. Incredible.
    A question from someone who gets very confused by the box office and all that stuff and who isn't very in the loop when it comes to superhero films at all.

Is the relatively (considering the budget, marketing and subject matter) disappointing box office to do with the quality of the film, or is it indicative of a larger trend? I feel like I've heard less and less about superhero films smashing records and all this (Iron Man 3 was the last one I can remember people making a big fuss about). So does this film underperforming show that people are getting more tired of superhero films in general, or is it more likely because most people didn't think it was any good?

No the genre is fine. This is a golden age of comic book movie we're getting. Marvel are killing it at the cinematic BO and their Netflix shows, Daredevil and Jessica Jones are major hits. Captain America CW is a critical success and is tracking a domestic $200million opening weekend. A film juggling 12+ superheroes and yet Snyder couldn't handle 3 in one movie. His JL movie is going to be an exercise in ice-skating uphill. The problem with BvS is that it's a shit film. That's the long and short of it. Critically panned and a financial disappointment. I won't go into why it's a financial disappointment because I've done so numerous times and yet some people think seeing 800million is a success without considering other important factors that have been highlighted. In any case, BvS is made by a weak film maker and is financially backed by a studio who are notoriously known for overspending. In all fairness to WB/DC a BvS movie that has the trinity (batman, superman and wonder woman)in this day and age can and should easily gross a $billion; the problem is WB/DC shot themselves in the foot by giving this movie a huge budget and entrusting an incompetent film maker with the responsibility to oversee this thing. Had a competent director who knows how to tell a story and understands who these characters been hired instead, the situation would be very different. Seriously, they turned Bruce Wayne/Batman into the comic book version of Lex Luthor! They had him killing goons like there was no tomorrow. Some people are defending the killing and I say bullshit! Just look at Daredevil on Netflix, a critically acclaimed TV show where DD goes through painstaking lengths to avoid killing and to prevent any of his "partners" from killing. The fact that it's a TV show is irrelevant. The point is the principle and understanding of who the character is. This is where Snyder is a complete failure with these DC movies; he just doesn't get it.
    Snyder is the main problem. He has been with MoS now with BvS and sadly he will be the main problem again with JL.

As for the TV landscape, there DC is clearly more successful than Marvel @doubleoego
    Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Supergirl, Legends Of Tomorrow.
    Girl and Legends have yet to prove themselves of course, but just saying.
    Which only proves that audiences aren't getting sick of the superhero genre. Those shows you listed are all fantastic in their own right I haven't seen Legends if tomorrow though. DC are doing incredibly well on television and that's something they've been consistently excelling at; same with their animated shows and films. I'm really looking forward to the killing joke when it comes out later this year. I just wish WB/DC had someone who could supervise the movies with the care and passion that their animation and TV shows get.