Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (2016)

Comments

Its subjective, I really liked BvS its obvious some did not... Each to there own, just feel the same things are being said over and over again. When the dust finally settles, maybe a discussion about what happens in the film will take place minus vehement negativity.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2016 Posts: 15,696
    All you need to know about critics on Rottentomatoes is that the first 'Twilight' film and the first 'Taken' film have the same average score by these so called critics. Even the metacritic score for Twilight is higher than Taken's.

While at the same time one of these film has a 5.2 rating on IMDB and the other 7.9.
    How you can compare Shawshank Redemption to BvS is beyond me.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Tuck91, I didn't. I specifically said that BvS doesn't belong among the likes of TSR. I merely pointed out that if BO performance is a sign of a film's quality, then TSR would not be a quality film.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    You didn t even read the rest of the post, did you?
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited April 2016 Posts: 11,139
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @doubleoego, you're making the classic mistake of stating your own opinion as hard fact.

That's not what I'm doing and have not done. The only facts that I have posted are direct quotes from Snyder himself and BO figures.
    If BvS being a "terrible movie" was indeed the general consensus from critics and audiences and DC fans, I can't see it making 800 + mill in under a month and receiving a 7.2 on IMDB based on over 200 000 votes. (Captain America: The First Avenger gets a 6.8, Batman Returns a 7.0 and Superman a 7.3.)

IMDB?? Are you serious? IMDB had thousands of people casting votes in favour of BvS before the film even came out! IMDB is NOT the source you want to use to legitimately substantiate any reason in favour of BvS.
    $800 million WW in under a month for this movie is something you find impressive??? You do know what it means when a movie is front loaded right? You do know that the film opened up in all territories simultaneously right? You do know that BvS had NO competition for weeks right? You do know that the film's theatrical run has yet to allow WB/DC to break-even right? You do know this is a film that has the novelty factor of having batman, superman and wonder woman all in the same film for the first time right? Right???? You're better off sticking to just watching movies and not trying to analyse the financial because numbers clearly aren't your strong suit. I've posted and presented enough facts and figures and context to illustrate just how disastrous this movie has been and if you're still trying to play the numbers game at this stage in support of this movie being a success then there's no point even having a discussion. Not trying to offend you here but you're either delusional or just flat out ignoring the facts. The drop offs were embarrassingly huge. The figures reflect that this is a film that people just weren't that bothered to see and furthermore had no interest in going to see repeatedly like most blockbuster movies should and are expected to perform.
    Lest I come off as loving this film to death, I will say that I too was disappointed by some things I saw and how some things were told but I will stand up for BvS when outrageous claims are made. Saying it's a turd doesn't make it so.

And that's your opinion, just because I said otherwise, that's not equating my stance to being a fact like you claim.
    Talking to your pals and then stating their comments as "general consensus", doesn't help to build a case. I stopped caring about critics long ago, as does every true film fan at one point in his or her life.

I'm not suggesting that I spoke to my friends and took their opinion as a general consensus. I didn't even make such a claim. You're now introducing words that was never ever said. However, take the time to read my post again, I said, "from critics, general audiences and hardcore DC fans"don't take my word for it but all you need to do is go anywhere, speak to as many people as you can, read as many reviews as you can and you'll find that the majority give BvS a big thumbs down. I personally don't care for critics when it comes to making my own decision on liking a film because I'm blessed enough to have the mental capacity to make decisions for myself, which is why I still paid to go and see BvS so I can make my own conclusions BUT I also understand the role, effects and influences critics MAY play in the movie industry and to flat out ignore and dismiss their is naieve and hypocritical even more so coming from a place like this, a James Bond community site, where almost everyone here flocked like moths to a flame when reviews came out to find out what the impressions were, this was particularly most apparent for all the movies of the Craig era, especially the last 2.
    And I'm sure we're going to get another update on BvS's "disappointing BO performance" soon since somewhere on the Internet - and who doesn't believe the Internet, right? - it is claimed that BvS has to make more money than God to be even modestly successful.

It's more than obvious you don't have a grasp on this particular matter and how it works, not that it's terribly difficult in the first place but by all means, familiarise yourself first and then maybe this is a point of discussion we can revisit but for now, you don't get it.
    It's a polarizing film; I'm leaning towards the green light, others are leaning towards the red light. Fine with that. But there's this dark aura here that because I did enjoy watching BvS I neither have good taste, nor understand a single thing about Batman; that I pay to see a turd dropped by evil, moustache twirling WB execs out to drain hard-earned money from my wallet and that's I'm a complete moron for allowing them. As an avid Batman comics reader, cartoon and film watcher and video game player, I find the part about not understanding Batman particularly insulting and so I want to defend myself a little since things are getting really personal. Just to be clear, I don't think this film is up there with the Nolans or anything, but I went to see BvS twice, and twice I got some pretty good thrills out of it and in "a" Batman film, that's good enough for me - as long as it's not just that in every Batman film from now on.

First of all, let me just say, I've never insulted anyone for liking what they like. I clearly stated that, "I can appreciate BvS has its fans and good for them" .
    You can defend yourself, list your fan-credentials and support the movie as much as you like but that doesn't change how the majority of people feel nor the fact that this movie is a dud, financially and critically but hey, take solace in that you and some others out there like it. That's all that matters.
    Imagine I'd visit every SPECTRE thread here and say, "yeah yeah, look, SP stopped making money some 200 mill below SF so it's utter BS, a bad film, clearly not living up to expectations and every 'true' Bond fan will agree with me." So much for making friends here, I'd think. ;-)

Again, either learn how budgets for movies and the Box Office works first and then maybe this is a discussion you're able to have or just stick to being a happy member of the audience and enjoy watching the pictures on the screen go by; seriously.

• //Do we know if Civil War or BvS had that May 6th first?//

Marvel had listed the May 6 date originally but hadn't specified what it planned. Warner Bros. then said BvS would debut on May 6 (it was originally slated for July 2015).

After Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a hit, Marvel then said Captain America 3 would come out on May 6. At that point, no hint that Cap 3 would be Civil War or have Iron Man in it.

Then, Warners moved BvS to March.
    Don't know why they moved it because according to Snyder, BvS "goes to the mythological nature of the movies that we’re making; I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man—not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?”

Such statements clearly show a high level of confidence and conviction of the movie they were making and the global iconic status of the characters tge film features. BvS for all intents and purposes is tge wrestlemania, tge superbowl and the world cup of comicbook movies...BUT the reality is, Snyder is a barely aspiring subpar director who of course made a terrible movie in BvS and in doing so knocked out whatever rwmaining teeth WB/DC had left. BvS moving from May 6th was the smartest decision WB/DC made through the this film's entire production process.

BvS wasn't even in the top 5 at Friday's (yesterday) Box Office

1.The Jungle Book $16,380,000
    2.The Huntsman: Winter’s War $7,272,000
    3.Barbershop: The Next Cut $3,105,000
    4.The Boss $1,902,000
    5.Zootopia $1,772,000

...and Zootopia came out before BvS did with a 3 week head start!
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Marvel had listed the May 6 date originally but hadn't specified what it planned. Warner Bros. then said BvS would debut on May 6 (it was originally slated for July 2015).

After Captain America: The Winter Soldier was a hit, Marvel then said Captain America 3 would come out on May 6. At that point, no hint that Cap 3 would be Civil War or have Iron Man in it.

Then, Warners moved BvS to March.
    So they moved BvS to March before knowing Cap 3 would be Civil War?
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Don't know why they moved it because according to Snyder, BvS "goes to the mythological nature of the movies that we’re making; I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavor of the week Ant-Man—not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?”

Such statements clearly show a high level of confidence and conviction of the movie they were making and the global iconic status of the characters tge film features. BvS for all intents and purposes is the wrestlemania, the superbowl and the world cup of comicbook movies...BUT the reality is, Snyder is a barely aspiring subpar director who of course made a terrible movie in BvS and in doing so knocked out whatever rwmaining teeth WB/DC had left. BvS moving from May 6th was the smartest decision WB/DC made through the this film's entire production process.
    Like you said, they probably wouldn't had to move it if they were confident in what they were putting out. I think I would have prefer to see BvS back in July 2015 instead of waiting another 8 months, time in which they could have improved the film. Besides Age of Ultron would have already been out and they other competition would have been Ant-Man and Fantastic Four that month.
    BvS wasn't even in the top 5 at Friday's (yesterday) Box Office

1.The Jungle Book $16,380,000
    2.The Huntsman: Winter’s War $7,272,000
    3.Barbershop: The Next Cut $3,105,000
    4.The Boss $1,902,000
    5.Zootopia $1,772,000

...and Zootopia came out before BvS did with a 3 week head start!
    Zootopia is a much better movie and it's a family film that appeals to everyone. Same goes for Jungle Book. Family movies tend to have legs.

Zootopia is a much better movie but BvS, had it been a good movie at least would have had better legs than it has/had. This is a movie that was supposed to rival the Avengers in terms of spectacle and appeal but like I've said before, this is a terribly made film that was ill-conceived from the get go and clearly does not have the mass appeal it should have. I don't even know what they plan to do with the justice league because adding the likes of aquaman, cyborg and flash isn't going to do much if anything at all, when WB/DC creatively/critically flopped and leaked their load with the trinity and will just about trickle their way to breaking-even (if they're lucky).
  • //So they moved BvS to March before knowing Cap 3 would be Civil War?//

That's right.
    Captain America 3 was initially given the title of Serpents Society. I cant remember if the reveal of Civil War title was before or after DC moving BvS release date.
    Serpent's society as a title was a decoy and was literally used for less than 10 minutes as at the same event in which it was announced Feige revealed the true title to be Civil War.
    I have the french box-office, and let's just say the results are... interesting :

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_France_2016

After four weeks, BvS is at 2 317 940 seats filled, which put it at fifth place, behind Les Tuches 2, Zootopia, The Revenant and Deadpool. However, it should be noted that each of those movies have been showing for longer (from 9 to 10 weeks. But when you look at the box-office per week, it tells a different story. In its first week, BvS managed to get 1 251 205 viewers. Which is fewer than Les Tuches 2, Zootopia, The Revenant and Deadpool (and The Jungle Book). So, what can we conclude from that ? I don't know. Don't french people like super-heroes ? Avengers : AOU did more than that in its first week (and slightly less in its second). Did the Brussels bombings had an impact ? Doubtful, given that Spectre, which started its career in the same week as the Paris attacks managed to put 2 203 549 people in seats, despite the bombings and the fact that the theaters were closed on saturday that week.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_France_2015

Still, the results are not that bad, but they're not what we would have expected with Batman and Superman in the same movie either.
  • edited April 2016 Posts: 2,115
    Serpent's society as a title was a decoy and was literally used for less than 10 minutes as at the same event in which it was announced Feige revealed the true title to be Civil War.

Not the best video, but you can see it here:

Not the best video, but you can see it here:

Marvel certainly know how to put on a show.
    I saw BvS for the second time last nigt, and again thorroughly enjoyed it. I find the amount of criticism this film gets totally unjustifiable.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    This is the Year To Date chart for Germany in ticket sales:

1. 3.238.473 Zoomania
    2. 2.775.049 The Revenant
    3. 2.671.492 Deadpool
    4. 1.909.893 Bibi&Tina (German movie for teens)
    5. 1.617.571 Der geilste Tag (German movie, comedy)
    6. 1.434.784 Batman v Superman

Sorry to say, BvS crashed and burned in Europe. Only because of the insane US BO it was saved from being a financial disaster, profit wise.

For comparison:
    Ticket sales numbers for 2015 Blockbusters:

7.045.948 SPECTRE
    4.144.067 Jurassic World
    4.409.177 Fifty Shades Of Grey
    4.081.542 Mockingjay Part II

I'm not bashing BvS here, just stating numbers to show how badly BvS did at the cinema in relationship to the cost of the movie and compared to other movies.

I would have showed those numbers either way, as I did for Spectre.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I saw BvS for the second time last nigt, and again thorroughly enjoyed it. I find the amount of criticism this film gets totally unjustifiable.

It is the so-called hardcore fans that generally should be ignored as they suck the fun out of most movies and series. And I thought that Doctor Who fans were vicious.
    Gerard wrote: »
    I have the french box-office, and let's just say the results are... interesting :

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_France_2016

After four weeks, BvS is at 2 317 940 seats filled, which put it at fifth place, behind Les Tuches 2, Zootopia, The Revenant and Deadpool. However, it should be noted that each of those movies have been showing for longer (from 9 to 10 weeks. But when you look at the box-office per week, it tells a different story. In its first week, BvS managed to get 1 251 205 viewers. Which is fewer than Les Tuches 2, Zootopia, The Revenant and Deadpool (and The Jungle Book). So, what can we conclude from that ? I don't know. Don't french people like super-heroes ? Avengers : AOU did more than that in its first week (and slightly less in its second). Did the Brussels bombings had an impact ? Doubtful, given that Spectre, which started its career in the same week as the Paris attacks managed to put 2 203 549 people in seats, despite the bombings and the fact that the theaters were closed on saturday that week.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-office_France_2015

Still, the results are not that bad, but they're not what we would have expected with Batman and Superman in the same movie either.

From variety:

"The second-week decline in the global box office of “Batman v Superman: The Dawn of Justice” was an unpleasant surprise for Warner Bros. But its vertiginous drop in China, the world’s second-biggest movie market, was even more brutal, and may mark a rude awakening for not only the Burbank studio but for Hollywood in the Middle Kingdom.

The dueling-superheroes movie appeared to have a lot going for it, including a Friday day-and-date release on half the screens in the nation. But after suffering an 85% drop on its second Friday — placing fourth behind a trio of Chinese movies and “Zootopia” — the film was unsentimentally dumped by China’s exhibitors. At $94.9 million after 19 days of release, it is certain to finish below the $100 million mark, cuming less than last year’s clunky “Terminator: Genisys” ($113 million).

In sorting through the debris to find out what went wrong, it’s easy to blame the film itself; after all, “Batman v Superman” was savaged by the critics. But there are other factors at play. In 2015, despite a sensational spring during which “Jurassic World” ($229 million), “Avengers: Age of Ultron” ($240 million) and “Furious 7” ($380 million) dominated the Chinese box office, Hollywood films’ gross revenue in China grew by only 26%, while that of Chinese films improved by 67%. Local movies wound up with a 61% market share in 2015, while the year before, Hollywood films had the majority share, also at 61%.

There are many reasons for the trend in a territory where box office is routinely manipulated by the government, with practices that include blackout periods for foreign films; simultaneous releases of major titles, with an eye toward cannibalization; and official ticket-buying schemes to boost local titles.

Yet the Chinese box office is growing so fast — by 49% last year and by 50% in the first quarter of 2016 — that every major release should be breaking some kind of record. But there’s still debate as to whether “Star Wars: The Force Awakens,” at $125 million, was a hit or a miss. And Hollywood-China co-production “Kung Fu Panda” was a clear disappointment in the popular animation category, taking in $147 million. Only Disney Animation’s “Zootopia,” which has minted more than $230 million and established a new Chinese box office record for an animated feature, seems to have fulfilled the market’s growing promise. The title is showing such good legs that regulators have granted it an extra month of release."

There's so much evidence and growing evidence that Hollywood itself isn't losing any clout in the Chinese market but the films that did badly, namely BvS were just trash movies and audiences spoke with their wallets and not just in China. The tracking for CW in China alone is highly favourable so that's that. Furthermore; and this is so sad, embarrassingly sad, BvS won't even beat deadpool's domestic intake and although BvS has grossed more world wide, it's important to know that is only because BvS had a China release - China Box office = $741m. Deadpool without China = $759m.

Deadpool only loses to BvS due to not being released in China. Take China's BO away and BvS is at $700million. Deadpool as it stands is at $700million. Sorry, it doesn't matter how anyone slices is it, when audiences and critics pan a movie that has the novelty of 2 of comicbook's most iconic heroes and it makes money in the ballpark of an R-rated comparatively obscure comic book character. Something is clearly wrong.

Lastly, does anyone remember when a few outlets especially moviepilot were bragging about how BvS will make more money than star wars? Star Wars??? Let that sink in...

5 reasons why BvS will beat Star Wars...http://moviepilot.com/posts/3692086

XLDY6C0.png

Incredible. Honestly this whole BvS campaign has just been a massive embarrassment.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    In 2015, despite a sensational spring during which “Jurassic World” ($229 million), “Avengers: Age of Ultron” ($240 million) and “Furious 7” ($380 million) dominated the Chinese box office, Hollywood films’ gross revenue in China grew by only 26%, while that of Chinese films improved by 67%.
    The bolded item remains the biggest shocker of 2015 for me. If that is the kind of banal garbage that the Chinese want to see, then I suggest Hollywood work the budget numbers in other ways to not focus so much on that market. I can appreciate the criticism of BvS, but I certainly hope our blockbusters (including Bond) are not increasingly targeted to the whims of the Chinese or the Indians for that matter.
    Lastly, does anyone remember when a few outlets especially moviepilot were bragging about how BvS will make more money than star wars? Star Wars??? Let that sink in...
    The embarrassment here is more on moviepilot for making such an idiotic prediction. Targeted staff dismissals wouldn't be out of order here.
    ----

Once again, I can't understand how anyone (including the brass at WB) expected BvS to be a box office juggernaut when MoS was no where near the levels of Marvel's best. I still think they got what they should have expected, based on the fact that this was essentially an MoS sequel, and superhero sequels have failed to do as well as the 'intro' predecessors of late. The uptick in both US & global box office in comparison to MoS can be attributed squarely to Batman's star power.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames, I think that will always be the case as Superman, like Hulk, isn't strong enough - or maybe too strong - to raise enough interest for a solo-act in this day and age. Clearly, Batman is the more appealing character in BvS, with Wonder Woman possibly being the bigger surprise of BvS. I heard a lot of people say that rather than a solo Bat film, they want a solo Wonder Woman film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2016 Posts: 23,883
    @DarthDimi, I agree. Actually it's interesting you mention Hulk, because that was exactly my thinking as I typed my previous message, but I forgot to mention him. Like Hulk, Supes hasn't exactly set the box office on fire or been a critical hit lately. That's despite both of these characters arguably being at their biggest during about the same time in the 70's/80's (Hulk with the tv show starring Ferrigno and Supes with the Reeves films).

So, yes, I think both these characters are best in ensemble pieces for the time being.

In a way I think WB did what they had to do, by using the established but weak (imho) Superman reimagination as the intro vehicle for Batman and Wonder Woman (who I also agree was the standout in BvS). Now they can only get better from here, and the Superman character as reimagined in MoS also lives to fight another day (even if only as part of Justice League). If they had just made it a straight sequel without Batman or Wonder Woman, I'm quite certain it would have failed miserably, as I don't remember anyone clamouring for a sequel.
    Except me.
    This was leaked on 4Chan. Make of it what you will:

ORk7s4d.png

"producing the hobbit taught us that even a giant tentpole movie with no script, story or previs can be finished on time if enough money is thrown at it. justice league 1 has been meticulously planned to the point where we've already seen the movie and nothing's even been shot yet. we can get the effects in by june."

"We like zach. the bvs project would have killed a lesser filmmaker. terrio was supposed to make sure the story worked (obviously) and affleck is there because we want him to make a batman. chris was supposed to be the "leash" and he failed. we have advisers from comics like johns to help zach but since he did all the legwork to make the dceu himself he gets to run it. suicide squad is proof that he's on the right track as far as running the show. the main issue with justice league 1 is taking this state of the universe we kind of forced him into and turning it into something that will appeal to people without betraying the artifice of it. as i said, people will still probably dislike it because of the decisions we made leading up to it, but by the end of the movie you will have had a fun time (not in an avengers way, by the way- more like how the dark knight was involving and thrilling) and will see the clear direction we are going."

Justice League Plot (Fully written by Terrio):

"Batman is trying to assemble the Justice League to protect the Earth from Darkseid, while the government, represented by Amanda Waller and Wade Eiling, is trying to capture them.

Darkseid is a "force of nature", and is impending arrival is described as "apocalyptic" with biblical undertones. He's also being redesigned, though they'll try to keep his classic look in mind.

Superman's rebirth is somehow connected to Darkseid, and includes Darkseid attempting to corrupt him in some sort of astral plane. Lois will be important to this subplot.

Darkseid will have some sort of ability to force the League members to handle their own dark sides and go through psychological trials. It appears to be capacity for good remains a theme of the movie, with the League members all being shown to be dysfunctional, angry people that could have tipped over to the dark side easily if circumstances were a little different.

The focus is on the six mains and Lois. Everyone else is just minor."

I really hope this isn't true and where have we seen something very similar before? Hmmm

Sounds terrific.
    Justice League a new frontier?

Which came out before avengers?
  • RC7RC7
    Sounds terrific.

+1
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    RC7 wrote: »
    Sounds terrific.

+1
    As long as no Snyder.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    edited April 2016 Posts: 543
    Justice League Plot (Fully written by Terrio):
    You know as long as it is well written, there's awesome action, characters have good stories and a good editor, it can be great movie. Although I don't think I like Lois having such an important role.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    As long as no Snyder.
    I wouldn't mind having Snyder back, he just needs someone else to review the film with him and point out what works and what doesn't.