Bond 24 - 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015 - Sam Mendes Back As Director

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    talos7 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:
    He looked like Fleming's Bond to me. I wish Bond would wear stubble more often. Brosnan's 5:00 Shadow in GoldenEye was a good look for him.
    He had such a baby face at that time that the stubble toughened him up a bit; Craig does not need that. I think it ages him seeing that there is a great deal of salt with that pepper.

In his Remington Steele days he did. But in the 1990's he looked fine. I think Craig's stubble was fine. Both Craig and Fleming's Bond are rough around the edges so why not?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Murdock wrote:
    He looked like Fleming's Bond to me. I wish Bond would wear stubble more often. Brosnan's 5:00 Shadow in GoldenEye was a good look for him.

And Sean's 5 o'clock shadow in GF was badass.
    Murdock wrote:

And Sean's 5 o'clock shadow in GF was badass.
    My gosh I forgot! Best moment in the movie too.

• Great news to have Sam Mendes on board again.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 388
    A longer gap between entries is in line with almost every other comparable film series. A regular 2 year cycle simply isn't the done thing in modern big-budget cinema, and hasn't been since the late 70s.
    Well, off of the top of my head I can name Sherlock Holmes, Resident Evil, Thor, Transformers, Expendables, Fast and Furious, etc. There are more surely, and if some movies had been larger success we'd even had more 2 years sequel.

Fair enough. Although, as I mentioned above, I would consider the likes of Resident Evil and Fast and Furious to be firmly established in the "B Movie" category. Sherlock Holmes 2 was released 2 years after its predecessor but its going to be at least a 3 year gap until Sherlock Holmes 3 - indeed the case in a lot of franchises seems to be that they strike while the iron's hot for the first sequel and then take 3 years + for subsequent entries.

The comparable series I would look at are Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman, Star Trek, Bourne, Iron Man, Star Wars, Spiderman, Terminator, Superman and Indiana Jones. All big-budget tentpole franchises.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I get the feeling that Bond 25 will get a 2017 release date.
    BEST POSSIBLE NEWS. HAPPY DAYS! NOW JUST BRING BACK BLOFELD PLEASE!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2013 Posts: 4,443
    That mean 29 November or 6 December release date in The Netherlands.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJHcn2cAmhyOaTPLmIbQPaL6xT-Lm6QRczRu-RIH2UYDx3pMHmxg
    Earlier on the set of Jardhead (2005) in 2003.. So done: now we have all time in the world.
    doubleoego wrote:
    ThaT will be the 55th anniversary. I hope Bond 24 with Daniel Craig returning as 007 in 2015. That far I hope it goes so I can be still young.
  • TreefingersTreefingers Isthmus City, Republic of Isthmus
    doubleoego wrote:

I think so too, specially since the two movies are supposed to share a story arc. Logan should already have the backbones of B25 sorted out.

BTW, really liked the font they used to write "BOND 24" in. I know that's obviously not the final title card nor is it necessarily allusive to the final artwork/design they'll devise, but it's got this classy vintage style. kind of like an old 1930's-40's film noir.

• edited July 2013 Posts: 2,015
    The comparable series I would look at are Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman, Star Trek, Bourne, Iron Man, Star Wars, Spiderman, Terminator, Superman and Indiana Jones. All big-budget tentpole franchises.

Don't start using Gustav_Graves' method of choosing the facts from the conclusion :)

Because, well, "forgetting" The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc is a bit convenient here. And they are big-budget tentpoles to say the least. Out every year.

Even in your examples, POTC : At World's End was released 1 year after the one before, the Bourne Supremacy after 2 years, Iron man 2 after 2 years, and well Star Wars is planned to be released every 2 years too, Amazing Spiderman 2 also two years after the first, and even Man of Steel 2 is said to happen very fast.

You gave a few old franchises to make your point, and indeed in the 80s, 3 years gap or more was quite the rule (the old Star Wars, the old Batman, Indiana Jones, as you list). An exception is Superman II, which was done in 2 years but the Superman/Superman II development was planned well in advance obviously, it's even surprising they dared to make Superman begin with a scene to prepare audiences to Superman II !.

So that's why I say that the gaps for releasing sequels are getting shorter now, and not longer. If Marvel keeps on piling blokcbusters every 6 months without any flop, we can even expect others to try to have the same "go fast as long as it lasts" approach.

With Bond we have a twisted view because it was one of the rare to be out every two years in the 80s - but that was because at that time Bond was king of the worldwide box office (top #1 or #2 three times in a row in that period !). This infamous meaningless "worldwide dollar adjusted" list makes too much people forget that. Cubby Broccoli was much more in commands as far as money was concerned than Eon is now IMO. And he didn't need so much marketing to survive amongst the competition.

• The comparable series I would look at are Mission Impossible, Pirates of the Caribbean, Batman, Star Trek, Bourne, Iron Man, Star Wars, Spiderman, Terminator, Superman and Indiana Jones. All big-budget tentpole franchises.

Don't start using Gustav_Graves' method of choosing the facts from the conclusion :)

Because, well, "forgetting" The Hobbit, Harry Potter, Hunger Games, etc is a bit convenient here. And they are big-budget tentpoles to say the least. Out every year.

Even in your examples, POTC : At World's End was released 1 year after the one before, the Bourne Supremacy after 2 years, Iron man 2 after 2 years, and well Star Wars is planned to be released every 2 years too, Amazing Spiderman 2 also two years after the first, and even Man of Steel 2 is said to happen very fast.

You gave a few old franchises to make your point, and indeed in the 80s, 3 years gap or more was quite the rule (the old Star Wars, the old Batman, the old Superman, Indiana Jones, as you list).

So that's why I say that the gaps for releasing sequels are getting shorter now, and not longer. If Marvel keeps on piling blokcbusters every 6 months without any flop, we can even expect others to try to have the same "go fast as long as it lasts" approach.

With Bond we have a twisted view because it was one of the rare to be out every two years in the 80s - but that was because at that time Bond was king of the worldwide box office (top #1 or #2 three times in a row in that period !). Cubby Broccoli was much more in commands as far as money was concerned than Eon is now IMO.

Ha. I actually mentioned Harry Potter, Hunger Games and the Hobbit (and Twilight!) and then edited my post to delete them as I worried I was just confusing things and just responded to the points you raised. My argument was that they're quite different as (a) they're direct adaptations as children's / YA novels and (b) they're "finite franchises" i.e. there are a limited number of books and there was not an intention to continue the series indefinitely (as with Bond, Mission Impossible, Star Trek etc. which will basically go on as long as they're profitable).

The POTC film you mention, like The Hobbit, Lord of the Rings, the last two Matrix films and Back to the Future pts 2 & 3, are unusual as they were filmed back-to-back.

Marvel is a new interesting model but the franchises are separate from a production POV but unusual in that they are part of the same fictional "universe". The equivalent of the failed Jinx series taking off and being released in between Bond films.

Should have left my post as it was!

It's going to be a long wait - but brilliant news all the same..
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    A wait indeed but on the flip side we have UNCLE, MI5, the November man, taken 3 and Matt Vaugn's secret service to tie us over until Bond 24 is released.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    I doubt Newman will be back, unless everyone involved has a short memory.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    JamesPage wrote:

He got an Oscar nomination and Mendes likes working with him. I don't want him back but I don't see why him returning wouldn't be likely.

Or is there something you're not telling us?
    God forbid we should have an Oscar nominee return to compose for B24. Particularly when Micolli could bring back that British Beethoven, David Arnold.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Interesting thoughts about Newman. I am happy with Arnold returning or Newman (if he ups his game). I hope Mendes isn't completely locked into working with former colleagues. (Although I sincerely hope Deakins is on board for sure.) But I figured he would have Newman join him again. So now I am curious ...
    If they want Arnold back, they will ask him back. I doubt, Mendes will get into a fight over this. i hope, DA does 24.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I think I'd prefer Arnold to come back with a great effort, instead of Newman. We shall see what shakes out in the next few months; there should be rumors flying around on that one during the next 6 months or so, don't you think?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @4EverBonded, yes, alongside more rumors along the likes of Penelope Cruz being the next Bond girl. One or two of them may be right in the end - such as Adele doing the theme song for 'Bond 23' - but most will be ridiculous and false.
    Newman will be back. Mendes gets whatever he wants from the Bond bosses, and wherever Sam goes Newman goes. Newman's score won plaudits, it just didn't please the general consensus of Bond fans.

I think out of Newman and Deakins we are most likely to loose the latter. Deakins spoke of how Bond was an interesting experience for him but not one he'd like to repeat, he usually sticks strictly to arthouse fair.
    There will be so much gossip and rumour now until we have the official press conference? Lets see how they handle the whole DOMAIN name this time round? Especially seeing how it all leaked out and was the worst kept secret ever! X_X :)) Was a little cringe worthy the day that Babs and MGW revealed what the whole world already knew!
    The word "extraordinary" was mentioned three times in that announcement.
    At least they titled it the worst kept secret and got a laugh out of it.
    Not that we're close to that point yet, but I think it's fair to remind everyone of the spoiler tag feature when it comes to revealing secret plot points of Bond 24. A couple things got ruined for me in Skyfall because they were mentioned here first with no warning or tag. I almost didn't forgive this site for that. If I had to do it over again, I would've avoided this site for the last few months before Skyfall. Would rather not have to do that this time.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    This is splendid news! I actually screamed out of pure happiness when i read the news. My friend that i was with at the time must have thought i were crazy...

But to get Mendes and a confirmed premiere date is absolutely great, now we can just wait and enjoy the upcoming two years!
    Quarrel wrote:
    Not that we're close to that point yet, but I think it's fair to remind everyone of the spoiler tag feature when it comes to revealing secret plot points of Bond 24. A couple things got ruined for me in Skyfall because they were mentioned here first with no warning or tag. I almost didn't forgive this site for that. If I had to do it over again, I would've avoided this site for the last few months before Skyfall. Would rather not have to do that this time.

I concur. I did read some spoilers on purpose, but some of the things (like Ms death) were brought up in other parts of the forum thus ruin it for us who didn't want to know a big thing like that.
    JamesPage wrote:

He will be back. Mendes will obviously want to work with him again and it seems like the producers really want to keep Mendes happy. Which is great, Newman made an amazing score, the Oscar nomination was well deserved.
  • OnlyManWhoCanOnlyManWhoCan Greater London
    Did I miss something when I was away? Why are so many people cussing Newman's brilliant score? It was a mix of modern and traditional and blew out the cobwebs that had collected during Arnold's tenure. I've enjoyed a lot of Arnold's music but was excited to see someone else take the reigns. I wasn't disappointed, and would love Newman to return. If Arnold comes back than a rest will have done him good!
    edited July 2013 Posts: 16,330
    Newman's score wasn't that great. And the fact they used snippets of Arnolds CR score says a lot.