Bond 24 - 23rd Oct/US 6th Nov 2015 - Sam Mendes Back As Director

Comments

• gt007gt007 Station G
    edited July 2013 Posts: 1,182
    Great news! As everyone already said, it's too bad we're not getting it next year, but at least we have some solid news. Let the preproduction news time begin! :)
    well the three year gap worked so well for Brosnan's fourth film.....

or as Q would say (parphrasing in Skyfall) "Time is no guarantee of quality"
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    It was just yesterday or the day before that I posted I had a dream that Mendes was announced as director and we'd be getting this film in 2015....wow.

So, at 28 I have to wait till I'm almost 31 for the next Bond movie. *face palm*
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, but you have to agree that a film has a better chance of not being rushed or terribly inadequate if given more time.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @Risico007, but you have to agree that a film has a better chance of not being rushed or terribly inadequate if given more time.

The length of time holds no guarantees. It's how the time is used that makes a difference. After 4 years, SF was very good but I felt it could have been much better and to be fair Bond 23 would have struggled to be worse than QoS. DAD had a 3 year gap and it's one of the worst movies in the series. TSWLM was 3 years after TMWTGG but Cubby as a solo producer went in hard and made great use of the 3 year gap.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 12,837
    I think Deakins will probably return too, now we know Mendes is coming back. Same with Newman (unfortunately imo).

I am disappointed we're not getting a film in 2014 but I'm fairly confident the film will be worth the wait.
  • I think Deakins will probably return too, now we know Mendes is coming back. Same with Newman (unfortunately imo).

I am disappointed we're not getting a film in 2014 but I'm fairly confident the extra year will be worth it.

Agreed. I'm fairly confident that three years between films will be the norm now but if they're delivered to the quality of CR and SF then I'm just fine with that.

• From Screen International: http://www.screendaily.com/news/production/sam-mendes-returns-for-bond-24/5058249.article?blocktitle=Latest-News&contentID=1846

Sony confirms that Skyfall director will return after some to-ing and fro-ing about his schedule.

Skyfall director Sam Mendes will return for Bond 24, it was today confirmed today by Sony, MGM and EON Productions.

The film is set for release in the UK on October 23, 2015, and in the US on November 6, 2015.

Mendes’ participation had been in doubt after he previously suggested that he would be unable to direct the film due to schedule conflicts.

“I am very pleased that by giving me the time I need to honour all my theatre commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24. I very much look forward to taking up the reins again, and to working with Daniel Craig, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for a second time,” said Mendes.

Commenting on the announcement, producers Michael G Wilson and Barbara Broccoli said: “Following the extraordinary success of Skyfall, we’re really excited to be working once again with Daniel Craig, Sam Mendes and John Logan.”

Skyfall took $1.1bn worldwide and set a new mark as the highest grossing film of all time in the UK.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    Wasn't that high with SF and wished Mendes can bring a better film. But it's great that this is our first director doing consecutive Bond films since John Glen!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Ben wrote:
    From the website:
    Commenting on the announcement, Wilson and Broccoli said, “Following the extraordinary success of SKYFALL, we’re really excited to be working once again with Daniel Craig, Sam Mendes and John Logan.”

Translation : To no one's surprise we are taking the safest route possible and are really hoping to repeat that whole "making a billion dollars thing" again!

And honestly, who can blame them? If Adele sings the theme song again though I will cry foul.

However, it is nice to have a date set and to have the same director doing back to back films for the first time since the 1980's. I'm not sure Mendes is worth it but I will be cheering him on all the way now.
    doubleoego wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

The length of time holds no guarantees. It's how the time is used that makes a difference. After 4 years, SF was very good but I felt it could have been much better and to be fair Bond 23 would have struggled to be worse than QoS. DAD had a 3 year gap and it's one of the worst movies in the series. TSWLM was 3 years after TMWTGG but Cubby as a solo producer went in hard and made great use of the 3 year gap.

Again, it isn't a guarantee, but there's a chance. That's what I'm saying.
    I surely hope that means Roger Deakins will come back!

THEN maybe he'll get his Oscar. ;)
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 388
    Creasy47 wrote:
    doubleoego wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Again, it isn't a guarantee, but there's a chance. That's what I'm saying.

Exactly. Spending extra time revising for an exam won't guarantee that you'll pass, but it will certainly improve your chances
    Not if you're revising the wrong material :p
    Now the next big question: what will it be called?

I reckon either Risico or another original title.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, same. I really, really hope Deakins returns. I will instantly turn into a giddy schoolgirl (which I think I said a while back) if he is confirmed.

AND you have to videotape your reaction! ;)
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Dates could always change, though. It's possible 'Ant-Man' will move or something else might alter things.

Yeah I'd say whatever studio is financing Ant-Man was not too happy about hearing this news.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, that's true! I forgot about that.

@pachazo, I'm sure they weren't, knowing they're up against something this big. Perhaps the 'Ant-Man' date may change?
    Sorry Double but it is what it is.

Creasy you might be right or wrong Die another day had an extra year and well didn't do so well Skyfall had plenty of time and while I admit I am in the minority here I consider it the weakest of the Craig era ( still light years ahead of the late Connery entries the Brosnan era and some of Roger Moore's films) Does this mean Bond 24 will suck of course not for all I know it could be my dream bond film (with yes doing the theme song and The Hildebrand Rarity as the title)

we will know more soon enough I am nervous but am not gonna complain till at least the title or teaser lol.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I'm twice disappointed:
    first because we won't have David Arnold, and second because we'll have Thomas Newman.
    I've written it many-many times on the mi6community boards that there is no way Mendes would return. I'm really happy to be proven wrong. Mendes often said that everything he ever wanted to put into a Bond film he put it into Skyfall. Does that mean 'Bond 24' will be a bit more experimental and more 'Mendesian'? I sure hope so!

I'm really looking forward to a less domestic adventure with no granny M, even though I really liked the Britishness of Skyfall and Judi Dench in it. What I love about the Bond series is that there always is a chance that the next instalment will be the best yet (which is not the case with most franchises) and the prospects have never been better.

Oh and I love the release date!
  • RikRik Southend
    The only negative thing I can draw from this news is that Newman would probably be back to score the film. Now while I liked the Skyfall score, I was hoping for David Arnold to return.
    @Risico007, all I'm saying is that it has a better chance of being better. I'm not saying it's foolproof, or 100%, or guaranteed, or confirmed, or fact, I'm saying it has a better chance. Not sure how many more times I can continue to say this.
  • edited July 2013 Posts: 17,291
    Rik wrote:
    The only negative thing I can draw from this news is that Newman would probably be back to score the film. Now while I liked the Skyfall score, I was hoping for David Arnold to return.

I was hoping for Arnold too, but if Newman finds a way to use the Bond theme differently, I'll be happy.

Also, finally getting some Bond 24 news made my day! :)
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Great news guys. Let the mayhem begin...once again! :D
    Great news guys. Let the mayhem begin...once again! :D

It already has! :D
  • While I'm glad we at least have a date to look forward to, this is disappointing news. I'm a traditionalist and want a film every 2 years, and feel they could still do this if they wanted to. The key word here is "if", it's clear they don't want to continue yet another tradition Bond fans have always expected. As far as I'm concerned, no director is worth this amount of ass kissing.
    I think, there is going more and more thought into Bond now and doing it every 2 years will get harder and harder. Of course, if Sam had committed right away, we would have our 14 release. But this is part of what I am saying. Seems more problematic to get it all under one hat fast.
    with release date in tow when will we hear rumors of title and locations etc
    I'm very interested in where the story takes us.