Taken (2008 - 2015)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    I looks great. Like a worthy sequel though early reviews say otherwise.

The runtime is 91 minutes, so it's two minutes shorter than the first film.

What negativity have the early reviews brought up?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/taken_2_2012/

More of the same but not half as good. Still, we're be able to make up our own mind's soon.

I haven't read all the reviews yet. Only the first three or four.
    Empire gave it 2 stars - which means it's better than the first film!
    TPM007 wrote:
    Empire gave it 2 stars - which means it's better than the first film!

And then said it was worse in their review of it. They don't know what they're talking about.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Empire gave Taken 1 star then? Whaaaaa?!

When it was released. I knooooow rigghhttt?!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

They also say that The Godfather is the single greatest film of all time, so it isn't that shocking. No film should be ranked higher than the other, nonetheless to have that film at the helm.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

They also say that The Godfather is the single greatest film of all time, so it isn't that shocking. No film should be ranked higher than the other, nonetheless to have that film at the helm.

Empire was just posting what they think are the 500 greatest films, I'm sure you have a film you think is the best ever made.
    edited September 2012 Posts: 28,694
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Empire was just posting what they think are the 500 greatest films, I'm sure you have a film you think is the best ever made.

Hell no. As I have said, it is impossible to make such a choice, considering how much in love I am with film and its early starts clear to its thriving present (for some areas of the field). I could pick a top 10 or 20 or 50 or 100, yeah, but I wouldn't be able to order them. Too many masterful films from past to present (especially past), and who knows what great stuff to come in the future? We all watch certain films that fit our mood, and when that mood is always changing we would be hard pressed to nail down one entire film as the greatest of them all. Call Ethan Hunt, because that mission is absolutely impossible.
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I can pick one. I think Rocky is the best film ever made. Like you said though, it's hard, tons of great films.
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Someone on Twitter got on me and said "They used two different reviewers!" but that makes it even more pointless. Why not have the same person review both? Wouldn't that just make sense, and provide the best comparison from the first to the second?
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Someone on Twitter got on me and said "They used two different reviewers!" but that makes it even more pointless. Why not have the same person review both? Wouldn't that just make sense, and provide the best comparison from the first to the second?
    Also considering that a review is subjective, so is it super subjective if two opinions are combined? But then how can it be subjective if it encompasses two views? Oh the paradox of it all. But yeah, they're thick.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I never go off of reviewers anyway. I usually end up liking a movie they say is bad.
    I will probably be seeing this film on Saturday, so I shall let you all know how it is.
    I saw it last night, and as sad as I am to say it - though as obvious as my former point may seem - it was nowhere near as good as the first, and the action wasn't that great. I don't know if it's because they switched directors or what have you, but the fight scenes were incredibly choppy, ala 'Unknown,' so it was almost impossible to follow what was going on. The score they picked for said fight scenes, along with the sound effects, just didn't give me a thrill when watching Neeson fight. It was almost as if he was in almost no danger, even if he was taking damage. A final nitpick was the glaringly obvious/horrendous CGI they used at times.

It was still entertaining to see Mills back, but I feel like his methods for finding out what he wants exceeded his role and went in to the realm of 'Sherlock.' For example:
    When he and Lenore are kidnapped, he pulls a RDJ Sherlock and starts counting: seven seconds to a turn, a man playing a violin, the sound of hammers, canaries chirping, and he uses this later to return to the building. He also calls Kim on a small GPS device and has her detonating grenades all throughout the city so he can count down the time to the aftershock to pinpoint his location, using a large map and circles. Smart, but it just seemed to exceed what I would expect.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 12,837
    I saw it and it was fun, but it wasn't as good as the first film.

The drop down from an 18 to a 12 hurts it. It was much less violent (and one of the great things about the first was how brutal it was), and the action wasn't as good.
    I saw it and it was fun, but it wasn't as good as the first film.

The drop down from an 18 to a 12 hurts it. It was much less violent (and one of the great things about the first was how brutal it was), and the action wasn't as good.

My thoughts exactly. The first one trumped it in so many aspects.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Went to see the film today. It was good... but slightly below my expectations which, to be fair, were shaped by the brutal excellence of the first film. Neeson does, however, keep impressing me more and more time and again. Besson, on the other hand, failed me occasionally in his screen writing. I have nothing against simplicity or even against predictability but this film takes both a stretch too far at times. That said, the cool factor still runs high enough for me to like Taken 2 very much.
    Hoping to see this shortly, would be surprised if it was better than the first? As that was a fantastic movie.
    Do you think, word of mouth will have this flop after a great opening?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited October 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Germanlady wrote:
    Do you think, word of mouth will have this flop after a great opening?

It will go a way to not matching the first film but that was to be expected, maybe it will do even worse now the reviews are in. We'll have to wait until next week to find out.
    I just feel like the film was a lot worse than it really was because my main draw for it was the entertaining action, and it just disappointed in every possible aspect.
  • edited October 2012 Posts: 74
    Liam Neeson can see the future. That is why he asked George Lucas to kill off Qui-Gon Jinn before the next two prequels.

:D

Quoted for brilliance.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Taken 2. With the first film I was taken by surprise..as happens with those related to Bryan Mills.

• M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited October 2012 Posts: 4,443
    I think there already can buld on one thing for Taken 3. In the first movie Liam Neeson his chacter said
    his daughter should not travel alone
    to his Ex-wife, what if in the third one it is no longer his Ex-wife and all 3 together and litle dog travel for a sing contest in Austria.

First there take his daughter, then there take him and his wife and now there wil take the whole family. Starring Liam Neeson, Famke Jansen and now the whole family is taken there can only trust one guy to safe them: Kiefer Sutherland returns as Jack Bauer. At the end we wil meet Kim Bauer again who be classmate of the daughter.

I'm now curious to see how the box office for the film is after all of the bad reviews and word of mouth circulates further.
  • I don't get why people think bad reviews=bad box office. Transformers manages to make money year after year.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I'm now curious to see how the box office for the film is after all of the bad reviews and word of mouth circulates further.

It made 50mil it's opening wkend. The studio will surely push T3 but I doubt they'll go through with it.
    I don't get why people think bad reviews=bad box office. Transformers manages to make money year after year.
    I agree. And because of that, Michael Bay will plague the once honorable profession of directors.
  • I don't get why people think bad reviews=bad box office. Transformers manages to make money year after year.
    I agree. And because of that, Michael Bay will plague the once honorable profession of directors.

I used to like Micheal Bay. I really enjoyed Bad Boys and The Rock, and I thought he was a skilled action director. But crap like Pearl Harbour and Transformers has really made me dislike him. I don't think he'll ever do a film now that isn't overloaded with CGI.