Taken (2008 - 2015)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, as upsetting as it is, I'm glad someone agrees. And now, we're in an age where some of the most excellent actors to ever grace the screen are at an even older age, and their unfortunate passings will happen soon. Very dark to think about, but they should be appreciated as much as possible while they're here.
    Just leave as it is. I don't think it's a movie to have a sequel
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,473
    SKYFALL23 wrote:
    Just leave as it is. I don't think it's a movie to have a sequel

It's a bit late now. Oh well, I'll still see it in theaters and try to enjoy myself as much as I can. Who knows, it could surprise all of us (as the first one did) and we love it just as much.
    The first Taken is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Let's face it, the film's crap but short, sharp and entertaining.

BUT...how's a sequel gonna work? I heard HE'S the one who is "taken" this time round?

Plus if Famke is in it then I'm willing to stay "Onatopp" of developements.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    The first Taken is a bit of a guilty pleasure for me. Let's face it, the film's crap but short, sharp and entertaining.

BUT...how's a sequel gonna work? I heard HE'S the one who is "taken" this time round?

Taken isn't crap. It has a great story, drama, and action. And it has Liam FREAKING Neeson in it!
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 11,189
    BAIN123 wrote:

Taken isn't crap. It has a great story, drama, and action. And it has Liam FREAKING Neeson in it!

Common it is crap really (I was watching it recently with my mum and she was laughing at it)...but the entertaining kind of crap.

Liam Neeson was also in The Phantom Menace too...what's your point?
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Common it is crap really (I was watching it recently with my mum and she was laughing at it)...but the entertaining kind of crap.

Liam Neeson was also in The Phantom Menace too...what's your point?
    Don't think we saw the same film mate.
    I don't mind Taken but it is kind of...ridiculous shall we say.

Still, as I said, a bit of a guilty pleasure.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I don't mind Taken but it is kind of...ridiculous shall we say.

Still, as I said, a bit of a guilty pleasure.

Ridiculous?
    Well...a father who JUST HAPPENS to have special skills and JUST HAPPENS to overhear his daughter and slutty friend get kidnapped and JUST HAPPENS to come across her camera.

Also, what about the end? Other than not having any bother with customs/the US police no emotional reprecussions are mentioned. Her friend died and all we saw was her going to see Holly Valance :))

Taken is good but it's simply an inferior version of 24 (which is probably just as proposterious).
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Well...a father who JUST HAPPENS to have special skills and JUST HAPPENS to overhear his daughter and slutty friend get kidnapped and JUST HAPPENS to come across her camera.

Also, what about the end? Other than not having any bother with customs/the US police no emotional reprecussions are mentioned. Her friend died and all we saw was her going to see Holly Valance :))

Taken is good but it's simply an inferior version of 24 (which is probably just as proposterious).
    How is that ridiculous? Bryan is highly trained with decades of experience. And it was lucky that he caught Kimmy before she was taken. And we don't really know what happens with Kimmy and how she feels about Amanda's death. She is sickened at the resolution to the film, and we see her for what could have been weeks later. Maybe we'll get more information in the sequel.

If you find that ridiculous I don't know how you're a Bond fan.
    BAIN123 wrote:

How is that ridiculous? Bryan is highly trained with decades of experience. And it was lucky that he caught Kimmy before she was taken. And we don't really know what happens with Kimmy and how she feels about Amanda's death. She is sickened at the resolution to the film, and we see her for what could have been weeks later. Maybe we'll get more information in the sequel.

If you find that ridiculous I don't know how you're a Bond fan.

Haha, you've got me there.

This always makes me laugh:

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,690
    Taken has a 7.9/10 score on IMDB....
    Kermode is great. I am glad you posted this, because on his YouTube channel the video isn't offered here over the pond, and the same with his review for The Dark Knight, which I am dying to see.

To put it to rest, at its heart Taken isn't ridiculous. If men took my daughter from men and had the intention to send her into a business where she would have to unwillingly sell herself for profit, you bet your arse I would be hightailing it to take whatever actions needed to insure that I got her back.
    Most importantly, Taken is a film. Bryan is a very highly trained veteran who, through the use of what he has learned through decades of experience, goes to Paris and uses clues to kill those responsible and retrieve his daughter. How can you say that is ridiculous, but not find it ridiculous that James Bond has been in over twenty films, killed hundreds of bad guys, and not been killed yet?

Because they're films.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:

I agree it's sort of ridiculous but like others have already said, so are most films.

The idea of an advanced alien creature being sent to earth simply to swing from trees and skin US soldiers (not to mention he fights Arny hand to hand instead of shooting him with his giant shoulder laser), is ridiculous, but Predator is one of my favourite films. Also, as others have pointed out already, Bond is pretty ridiculous (even in the more realistic films like the Craig/Dalton/early Connery).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The poster has premiered on empireonline.com

only to be removed due to studio request.

wtf ?? don't they want people to see the poster, talk about it and get the buzz going ?

found it :

taken_2_poster-620x465.jpg
  • As long as his daughter gets her kit off I'm ok with the direction of the film....

His wolf survival film was cracking - Taken 2 does indeed sound a mess - it was like the last Bourne film they brought it to the states and it lost its European cool. But hey the big man (in more ways than one) killing baddies without a second thought is going to be good.

^:)^ ^:)^
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    At last. The tag line is clear, that's always good.

I hope a trailer is forthcoming.
    Very nice poster. Neeson is taking no prisoners, once again. Now, when shall we receive that trailer?
  • BAIN123 wrote:

I agree it's sort of ridiculous but like others have already said, so are most films.

The idea of an advanced alien creature being sent to earth simply to swing from trees and skin US soldiers (not to mention he fights Arny hand to hand instead of shooting him with his giant shoulder laser), is ridiculous, but Predator is one of my favourite films. Also, as others have pointed out already, Bond is pretty ridiculous (even in the more realistic films like the Craig/Dalton/early Connery).

Predator is sci-fi so you can excuse the alien thing - 'run...get to da choppa' classic.

Bond is pure escapism and that gives you an open script to create what you want.

the tagline reminds me of the Skyfall teaser : 'some men are coming to kill us.... we're going to kill them first'.

'now they're coming for him... but he'll get them first'
  • the tagline reminds me of the Skyfall teaser : 'some men are coming to kill us.... we're going to kill them first'.

'they took his pocket money and now's he's going to make them pay'

As long as his daughter gets her kit off I'm ok with the direction of the film....

His wolf survival film was cracking - Taken 2 does indeed sound a mess - it was like the last Bourne film they brought it to the states and it lost its European cool. But hey the big man (in more ways than one) killing baddies without a second thought is going to be good.

^:)^ ^:)^

The Grey was brilliant @forgotmyusername!
    Once more into the fray
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know
    Live and die on this day
    Live and die on this day
    the tagline reminds me of the Skyfall teaser : 'some men are coming to kill us.... we're going to kill them first'.

I wonder if its a direct follow on from the first movie? As it kind of suggests that from the tagline?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think it's that direct a sequel. If Kim is to save Bryan & Lenora, she's going to need some trainig. And those skills can't be taught in a few days (it took Bryan a career to hone his skills). I think it's going to be set 4 years later.

Nice poster, but i'm still not sold on this film.
  • 'they took his loo paper and now he's going to make them wipe'
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    RogueAgent wrote:

I wonder if its a direct follow on from the first movie? As it kind of suggests that from the tagline?

Yes, the father of one of the men Bryan killed in the first film comes back for revenge. We've known that ever since the film was announced.
    RogueAgent wrote:

Yes, the father of one of the men Bryan killed in the first film comes back for revenge. We've known that ever since the film was announced.

Wasn't aware of that? Thanks for the info though.
    TAKEN 2 TEASER TRAILER TO BE RELEASED TODAY AT 5PM (french time)