Taken (2008 - 2015)

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited October 2011 Posts: 13,894
    True, Kim may have leard how to fight. But Bryan had a whole career of skill and methods behind him.

Somehow I doubt Taken 2 will match the old skool badassness (if it had been made in the late 1970's, it'd be a brilliant Mitchum film) of Taken. I'll still watch it to see for myself, but still...
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Somehow I doubt Taken 2 will match the old skool badassness (if it had been made in the late 1970's, it'd be a brilliant Mitchum film) of Taken. I'll still watch it to see for myself, but still...
    My thoughts exactly. There's a fair chance they will pull off a decent enough film but Taken had the benefit of surprise. Now, my expectations run very high, to the point where I'm not so sure they can be met. The Major is correct about the retro style of Taken being one of its strong points - one almost wishes more films would adapt this back-to-the-70s style (thank you, House Of The Devil, I worship thee).

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I hope Neeson gets better sequels with Unknown 2 and The A-Team 2, if they are made one day,
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope Neeson gets better sequels with Unknown 2 and The A-Team 2, if they are made one day,
    There's potential in both for sequels, I can't agree more. Anyway, Neeson is one of the greatest actors we have today. He deserves good films, period.

And with that, I'm glad to have you with us again, @DC! :) Welcome back, friend.

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Thank you Dimi, my friend ! :)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    This is very cool: Fox has sent out a 'Taken 2' Father's Day card:

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=91527
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    That's nice and very clever though I'd much rather Fox sent out a Taken 2 trailer or even poster. At this rate, it will just be one each. Under four months until it's released.
    I'm still surprised that we have yet to receive a trailer, only a few stills. I'm sure we'll have one by the end of next month, probably earlier.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited June 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Posters always come first. I'm expecting that soon. This Father's Day card could be the beginning of the film's marketing...one hopes.
    I do hope so. Would be a nice way to get it kicked off, that's for sure.
    Neeson is awesome! Will most definately go see Taken 2!
    I am a big fan of "Taken" but I don't see the reason for the sequel. I mean here we go again, some Hollywood mogul wants to guarantee his job by putting out another focking sequel or remake. Shyyytt.
    I won't be lining up to see this damned movie.
    @OHMSS69, I'll be seeing it because I really loved the first, and Neeson is one of my favorite actors. But, I do agree that a sequel was truly unnecessary, and they should have just left it at what it was.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @OHMSS69, I'll be seeing it because I really loved the first, and Neeson is one of my favorite actors. But, I do agree that a sequel was truly unnecessary, and they should have just left it at what it was.
    Seconded. Taken reminds me of Disturbia, a brilliant film I love, and one that didn't have a stupid sequel. Just a single gem of a film that has all the suspense every time you watch it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, are you talking about the Shia LaBeouf film? If so, that is an excellent, tense thriller that I really enjoyed. I just wish I had viewed it at a different viewing than the opening night in theaters: full of teenagers who screamed, laughed, and talked at every instance of the running time. Still, I managed to fight through and enjoy it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, are you talking about the Shia LaBeouf film? If so, that is an excellent, tense thriller that I really enjoyed. I just wish I had viewed it at a different viewing than the opening night in theaters: full of teenagers who screamed, laughed, and talked at every instance of the running time. Still, I managed to fight through and enjoy it.

Yes, one of my favorites. But I haven't seen Rear Window yet! I need to be hung.
    Nor have I, no worries there. I'm hoping you have seen some of Hitchcock's other work, though? 'Psycho,' at least?
    I have dabbled, and loved North By Northwest, but have watched so many other films I have been dying to see that his have fallen to the bottom of the barrel. In good time, all will be seen.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 40,474
    I think one of my favorite Hitchcock films is 'To Catch A Thief,' with the always amazing Grant and Kelly. Give that one a viewing when you get around to it.

It's actually referenced in the Brosnan flick 'After the Sunset,' and now that I look at the plot and what they say about the film, it does draw from the plot of Hitchcock's film, in a slight way.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think one of my favorite Hitchcock films is 'To Catch A Thief,' with the always amazing Grant and Kelly. Give that one a viewing when you get around to it.

It's actually referenced in the Brosnan flick 'After the Sunset,' and now that I look at the plot and what they say about the film, it does draw from the plot of Hitchcock's film, in a slight way.

It's on my list, and I love Cary. Strangely enough, while filming Cary and Grace we driving along the road she would later crash on and die from, and he said something to her along the lines of "you have to be careful driving here or you'll die". Spooky. I heard that on a documentary talking about her death around the time she was Princess of Monaco.
    Wow, that is very eerie. I read an article on Cracked a few months ago that talked about quite a few celebrities who seemed to predict their own death, some down to how they would die (like John Lennon) or even a day (I believe Jimi Hendrix did, not sure).
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    Always loved Hitchcock. Used to have fun trying to spot his famous cameos in his films.
    Ironically the one I saw the most, "Psycho" I could never find him. Only after reading an article that told where he is, did I finaaly see him in this film.
    some little known Hitchcock gems:
    "Rope" lots of suspense and intrigue and thought provoking
    "The Trouble with Harry" a dark comedy and quite funny
    "Family Plot" suspense with a comedic twist. Fun movie.

Creasy47 wrote:
    Wow, that is very eerie. I read an article on Cracked a few months ago that talked about quite a few celebrities who seemed to predict their own death, some down to how they would die (like John Lennon) or even a day (I believe Jimi Hendrix did, not sure).
    Tupac, and Bob Marley death is spooky too. Bob would read palms as a kid, and many of his prediction came true, as well as his own prediction that he would die young.
    I think Bob Marley was the one I was thinking of, then. Quite creepy. Cracked, while remaining a comedy site, has a lot of great articles like that that will really make you think and sit in awe over crazy stuff like that.
    Nothing spooky about it. You can drink like a fish and drive then one day say to your friends: I'm gonna catch a DUI. Then it happens...nothing spooky about that. Just plain stupidy and mathematical odds catching up.
    thoughts do attract the circumstances which is why we never talk about a plane crash while flying.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I think Bob Marley was the one I was thinking of, then. Quite creepy. Cracked, while remaining a comedy site, has a lot of great articles like that that will really make you think and sit in awe over crazy stuff like that.

And Tupac always thought he would die, and discussed it frequently. He would record more songs in the studio than he had to because he didn't know if he would survive the day. He gave his friends/family things to keep to release to the public after he was dead and gone.
    @OHMSS69, okay, but we're talking about predicting or alluding to your own death, something even more exact. Even if they aren't, it's a line in the music that can be compared to a unique death or timing that makes it odd.

Jeff Buckley's "Dream Brother" has a line that reads "Asleep in the sand with the ocean washing over." He drowned less than three years later.

Hendrix's "The Ballad of Jimi" was dedicated to his friend, but one of the lines goes "Five years, this he said. He's not gone, he's just dead," and almost five years to the day after this, he died via asphyxiation.

So perhaps they aren't pointing out "Hey, this is where and when and how I'll die," but it's odd to me how the two are closely related: a lyric and the singer's death.
    And then there is the infamous age of 27, which has take numerous artists/actors/entertainers away in that year of their life.
    And then there is the infamous age of 27, which has take numerous artists/actors/entertainers away in that year of their life.

Yep, they call the 'The 27 Club.' The biggest star to be the latest member, unfortunately, was Amy Winehouse.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Yep, they call the 'The 27 Club.' The biggest star to be the latest member, unfortunately, was Amy Winehouse.

Yes, so much talent eerily taken away.