Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    00Agent wrote: »
    https://collider.com/james-cameron-terminator-dark-fate-interview/?amp

Sounds like Cameron is now downplaying his role in DF.

The movie pretty definitively reaches an end point of Sarah’s timeline. Were there aspects of the mythology that you created with the first two films that you didn’t have an opportunity to previously explore?

CAMERON: I don’t want to take the position that I was the one driving this. I came in, I said, “Look, guys, I want to be of value to you,” speaking specifically to Tim Miller, as the director of the film. He pre-dated me on the project. I said, “I want to be a resource. You can have the benefit of my thinking on the matter, but you’re going to do your own thing. You’re going to follow your own muse.” David Ellison also was a very passionate voice. So, I think ultimately, the film reflects those things that we all agreed on would be cool. It’s pretty much that simple.

Was there a part of the movie that you guys repeatedly fought over because of different opinions?

CAMERON: I would say many. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that’s the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, “I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.” I was like, “No, you got to make it your movie.” I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I’m like, “Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.” So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.

When the next Terminator film is in production Cameron will no doubt say 'Well this is the real Terminator 3, the other films don't exist in Canon and were not very good, this new film is the start of a new trilogy. We are going back to the feel of the first two films, Robert Patrick will be returning as the T-1000 with the use of de aging technology. We will come up with fresh ideas.'

It would not suprise me :))

There is only one chance, and one chance only i would pay for another Terminator film (and i would have to give it some thought even then) which is if Cameron WROTE and DIRECTED it.

But as it seems he will be occupied with Avatar for the next decades, and i don't think he would care to continue Terminator anyway, judging from most of his comments.

So as far as i am concerned, the franchise is pretty much dead.

If Cameron actually helmed and put effort into a Terminator film I would pay more attention. One thing has crossed my mind recently watching many of his interviews is he either is just going through the motions and could not care less about Terminator sequels or he really has lost it and the Avatar sequels (4 films I think) are going to be a disaster

I think that directing-wise, Cameron is a genius. But producing-wise he is a disaster, especially since he has an ego the size of the known universe.
    I think directing-wise, Cameron made his best films with Terminator, The Abyss and T2.
    I´d be happy if he reached those levels again or even surpassed them.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I think directing-wise, Cameron made his best films with Terminator, The Abyss and T2.

I'd add True Lies on that list @boldfinger. A classic 1990's action flick. And who doesn't enjoy watching Arnie ride a horse in an elevator? ;-)
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    How could you forget Aliens?
  • I haven't watched Dark Fate yet, but a sequel to T2 really deserved the Blade Runner 2049 treatment. By that I mean, actually invest in state of the art visual effects, hire a respected director with a singular vision (like Denis Villeneuve), and make it feel stylistically in the same ballpark as the previous movies.

Unfortunately not a single sequel was treated this way. T3, Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate all have, if you pardon my language, novice or mediocre (at best) directors. None of them came close to setting a high bar for visual effects. None of them came close to having the same atmosphere and unique style of the first two movies.

Just big fat waste of potential.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767

I'd add True Lies on that list @boldfinger. A classic 1990's action flick. And who doesn't enjoy watching Arnie ride a horse in an elevator? ;-)
    Plus the fun with the Harrier jet. On the other hand, the difference between Jamie Lee Curtis glowing through every moment she´s onscreen and Arnold being much more log-like than he is nowadays pulls the film from the soaring hights of the former three. But still a great film! Oh yeah, Paxton!

How could you forget Aliens?
    I didn´t forget it, but, much like the three I mentioned, it´s great but not on that level.
    Ok, splitting hairs ;-).
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185
    I haven't watched Dark Fate yet, but a sequel to T2 really deserved the Blade Runner 2049 treatment. By that I mean, actually invest in state of the art visual effects, hire a respected director with a singular vision (like Denis Villeneuve), and make it feel stylistically in the same ballpark as the previous movies.

Unfortunately not a single sequel was treated this way. T3, Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate all have, if you pardon my language, novice or mediocre (at best) directors. None of them came close to setting a high bar for visual effects. None of them came close to having the same atmosphere and unique style of the first two movies.

Just big fat waste of potential.

Agreed 100%
    The studios keep hiring mediocre nobodies like McG, and Alan Tyler to do the Terminator films because they are cheap, and then expect these films to become big. Lol
    Unfortunately Tim Miller is in the same category.

T2 was revolutionairy in every way, doing mediocre sequels won't cut it.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One would think they'd eventually learn their lesson and go with a respected, visionary director for a more grounded sequel, but alas, that hasn't been the case for a very long time.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    https://collider.com/james-cameron-terminator-dark-fate-interview/?amp

Sounds like Cameron is now downplaying his role in DF.

The movie pretty definitively reaches an end point of Sarah’s timeline. Were there aspects of the mythology that you created with the first two films that you didn’t have an opportunity to previously explore?

CAMERON: I don’t want to take the position that I was the one driving this. I came in, I said, “Look, guys, I want to be of value to you,” speaking specifically to Tim Miller, as the director of the film. He pre-dated me on the project. I said, “I want to be a resource. You can have the benefit of my thinking on the matter, but you’re going to do your own thing. You’re going to follow your own muse.” David Ellison also was a very passionate voice. So, I think ultimately, the film reflects those things that we all agreed on would be cool. It’s pretty much that simple.

Was there a part of the movie that you guys repeatedly fought over because of different opinions?

CAMERON: I would say many. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that’s the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, “I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.” I was like, “No, you got to make it your movie.” I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I’m like, “Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.” So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.

When the next Terminator film is in production Cameron will no doubt say 'Well this is the real Terminator 3, the other films don't exist in Canon and were not very good, this new film is the start of a new trilogy. We are going back to the feel of the first two films, Robert Patrick will be returning as the T-1000 with the use of de aging technology. We will come up with fresh ideas.'

It would not suprise me :))

There is only one chance, and one chance only i would pay for another Terminator film (and i would have to give it some thought even then) which is if Cameron WROTE and DIRECTED it.

But as it seems he will be occupied with Avatar for the next decades, and i don't think he would care to continue Terminator anyway, judging from most of his comments.

So as far as i am concerned, the franchise is pretty much dead.

If Cameron actually helmed and put effort into a Terminator film I would pay more attention. One thing has crossed my mind recently watching many of his interviews is he either is just going through the motions and could not care less about Terminator sequels or he really has lost it and the Avatar sequels (4 films I think) are going to be a disaster

I think that directing-wise, Cameron is a genius. But producing-wise he is a disaster, especially since he has an ego the size of the known universe.

His earlier films are great and some of the best in the genre, I was not keen on the CGI heavy Titanic and Avatar though I recognise there technical accomplishments. Thinking back other than the first Terminator film and Piranha 2 I have watched all the other Cameron films at the cinema, I vividly remember watching T2 it was a really big deal at the time.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    I agree with all this talk about directors.

So on one side, Cameron just wanted to give his opinions to Tim Miller, but Miller was going to do his own thing, and on the other side, the film reflects those things that they all agreed on would be cool. Who was in charge of things, then? Miller alone, with suggestions of Cameron (and Ellison), or Miller together with Cameron and Ellison?
    mattjoes wrote: »
    I agree with all this talk about directors.

So on one side, Cameron just wanted to give his opinions to Tim Miller, but Miller was going to do his own thing, and on the other side, the film reflects those things that they all agreed on would be cool. Who was in charge of things, then? Miller alone, with suggestions of Cameron (and Ellison), or Miller together with Cameron and Ellison?

Now that the movie tanked horribly i guess everyone will blame the other party :D

"Look, i was barely there... what, the film is out already? No one told me, see?"
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    One would think they'd eventually learn their lesson and go with a respected, visionary director for a more grounded sequel, but alas, that hasn't been the case for a very long time.

The choice of Director's has come across as flavour of the month or not even that in some cases

The choice of Director's has come across as flavour of the month or not even that in some cases

It's almost like it got worse and worse at some point, going from the guy who did the Charlies Angels films to a TV Director who did arguably the worst looking Marvel film at that time? What the hell.

Needless to say, all these guys had their career*... terminated.

*using that word lightly here.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited November 2019 Posts: 40,472

Too right. The directors they pick don't have any semblance of consistency to their work in terms of justifying them leading a big franchise (and one that they continuously plan failed trilogies around).

As for Cameron, he can backpedal all he wants but he was responsible for:

Opening the film with John Connor.

Which is more than enough reason for me to not trust his word on these films anymore.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

Too right. The directors they pick don't have any semblance of consistency to their work in terms of justifying them leading a big franchise (and one that they continuously plan failed trilogies around).

As for Cameron, he can backpedal all he wants but he was responsible for:

Opening the film with John Connor.

Which is more than enough reason for me to not trust his word on these films anymore.

+1
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,337
    Jonathon Mostow at the time I thought was an OK choice, Breakdown staring Kurt Russel is a good film that Mostow directed pre Rise of the Machines, if only T3 tone was not so daft in parts
    Jonathon Mostow at the time I thought was an OK choice, Breakdown staring Kurt Russel is a good film that Mostow directed pre Rise of the Machines, if only T3 tone was not so daft in parts
    I thought Mostow was a great choice before T3 came out, but I think T3 reflects nothing whatsoever of the fantastic tension that characterises Breakdown.

I thought Mostow was a great choice before T3 came out, but I think T3 reflects nothing whatsoever of the fantastic tension that characterises Breakdown.

Agree if the tone of Breakdown was replecated T3 would have been good, though admittedly T3 script was not great either
    T3 is possibly still my favorite sequel.
    Even though it's not a good Terminator film by any means. But it had a lot more elements from the first 2, and Mostow understood a couple things better than his successors. Mainly using as many practical effects for action scenes as possible. Here the Terminators feel legitimately like they weight 400 pounds.

What he got completely wrong was the tone unfortunately. It went too much into camp territory. Which is odd as they could have written a very dark and intense film, similar to the first two, as they had the perfect ending to pull it off.

Also i never bought Nick Stahl as JC. That casting was and always will be off to me.
    T3 is my favourite also I like Kristina Lokum and Arnie is good when ignoring the stupid moments that are not his fault. The chase scene is great IMO and some of the ending is good
    T3 is my favourite also I like Kristina Lokum and Arnie is good when ignoring the stupid moments that are not his fault. The chase scene is great IMO and some of the ending is good

Kristina was the best thing about T3 hands down.
    I liked her a lot… like a lot lot… (i was 19, come on)

She was flawless and possibly the deadliest and most effective evil Terminator in the series.

I wish she had been a Femme Fatale in a Brosnan Bond, that would have been legitimately scary. Unfortunately she only made it to a TV Commercial with him (playing off of her Terminatrix even then).

Better than nothing i guess.

I think her Terminatrix was so iconic at that time that it overshadowed her career sadly, and she wasn‘t able to land roles in anything else, similar to Robert Patrick.

PS:
    Also i think she was a WAY better example of female empowerment, without being preachy or on the nose about it, than the clumsy and hamfisted DF.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767

Also i never bought Nick Stahl as JC. That casting was and always will be off to me.
    It´s weird how good an actor he seems to be in some other films, but as JC he left the blandest impression on me.

That´s a nice spot there with Brosnan and Loken, never saw that before.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,337

Kristina was the best thing about T3 hands down.
    I liked her a lot… like a lot lot… (i was 19, come on)

She was flawless and possibly the deadliest and most effective evil Terminator in the series.

I wish she had been a Femme Fatale in a Brosnan Bond, that would have been legitimately scary. Unfortunately she only made it to a TV Commercial with him (playing off of her Terminatrix even then).

Better than nothing i guess.

I think her Terminatrix was so iconic at that time that it overshadowed her career sadly, and she wasn‘t able to land roles in anything else, similar to Robert Patrick.

PS:
    Also i think she was a WAY better example of female empowerment, without being preachy or on the nose about it, than the clumsy and hamfisted DF.

I have seen Kristina in a few things gorgeous woman, in fact I was browsing Amazon Prime movies the other day and added a film Kristina is in which I have not seen called Bloodrayne.
    71f7CIpwjiL._SY445_.jpg

Kristina is just bad ass without none of the preachy nonsense.

I have never seen that advert before
    Shouldn´t we call her by her official name, Kristanna? It even says that name on that film cover.
    My spelling is generally atrocious
    My spelling is generally atrocious

And you still write better than whoever wrote the last few Terminator sequels. ;-)
    I

The reason they can’t get a big name talent attached to the franchise is because they story ended back in 1991. There hasn’t been any need for a Terminator sequel since John and Sarah put a stop to Judgement Day.
    TR007 wrote: »
    I

The reason they can’t get a big name talent attached to the franchise is because they story ended back in 1991. There hasn’t been any need for a Terminator sequel since John and Sarah put a stop to Judgement Day.

Valid point.

There were two attemptes already to reverse that, with T3 and now DF.

Though i would argue, and I think Cameron would agree, that Skynet really is inevitable, at least in the Terminator universe. We are only at the start of artifficial intelligence taking off, and there is no way that at least half a dozen companies would attempt what Cyberdyne was doing. Google is todays Cyberdyne.

I think T3 did the best job in exploring that by showing that John (and Sarah) were very much aware of that fact and could never find peace again.

But they did it half assedly so many times by now that there is really nothing to explore here anymore. They alreay started Recycling their recycled Material in DF, they should let it rest.
  • RyanRyan Canada
    edited November 2019 Posts: 692
    I finally saw this last night. I enjoyed it a lot actually. I was pleasantly surprised. That said, my biggest problem with the film is it lacked emotional weight. I suppose we get a bit of that with Grace and her background but so much of the film is so derivative of the previous failed sequels that it feels too much like we've seen it already.

It essentially takes the best of the worst and retells it. So yes, by default it's better than the other post-T2 films. I didn't hate the opening (although I wish we could have seen a bit more in the way of flashbacks), and as a CGI fest it's a fun ride in the cinema. Linda and Arnold are fantastic, as were Davis and Reyes. Tim Miller seems capable of getting good performances from his actors but the action, while fun, was just too comic book.

Never did I feel the true danger. Had none of the other post-T2 sequels existed this might have worked fine for a change in tone. However, it really just feels like a slightly better T3.

Enjoyable, but when people are saying "it's better than the other sequels" instead of saying "it's as good as the first two" then it's easy to see why audiences are tired of it. I'm not surprised it's tanking.
    I hated rise of the machines when it came out I haven’t seen it since I may rewatch it

Honestly if I was gonna pitch a 3-6 for the terminator series
    Terminator 3 I would make it set in the post apocalyptic and instead of some random plot it would be a horror time bender with John Connor and Kyle Reese in a race against time to get Kyle into the time portal to save John.. (I picture like john’s health deteriorating throughout the film but no one can figure out why as that time line disappears
    Terminator 4 a film where they capture and reprogram the t-800
    Terminator 5 ok for sheer b movie thrills the idea of a guardian fighting a younger t-800 and t-1000 would be so cool but set the full film in 1984

And there you go