Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• edited October 2019 Posts: 6,677
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they make these films anymore. They had a good movie, one good movie in six. That is not a good statistic, is it? Same with Rambo, I think. They may be iconic movie characters, but they belong in the late 80s and early 90s. They work in that movie making world that, let's be honest, is dead and buried. They only want cash cows now. Same goes for Star Wars. They just don't do it for the sake of art and fun. They do it for the money. And it doesn't work in any other sense other than being money makers.

It's just sad.
    What are you talking about? What´s it got to do with the late 80s/early 90s? Haven´t we got films like Logan and MM Fury Road? It´s not as if all sequels were made for the fun of it in the 80s or 90s.

George Miller and James Mangold do not belong in that cash-cow-milkers-catergory I mentioned. They're outliers, and that's why their films worked. And that's why they refused many other offers.

And you thing TESB was made for the sole consideration of money making? Take one of the nth Disney remakes that are out in the cinemas as we speak, and tell me what purpose does it serve? Money making, that's all.

I do understand that Money was always an issue. It's a Show BUSINESS, I know that. But there were more Millers and Mangolds back then. It irks me when someone compares Spielberg - the king of blockbusters - with JJ Abrams, the king of...lens flares. There are outliers out there. Brilliant new directors and actors and even producers. They just don't have their seats on the front row of the industry any more. That's what I'm saying.

For pete's sake, Scorsese's The Irishman was made by Netflix because the "main, bigger" studios wouldn't touch it.

We do have projects of love, still. But they just don't fill the cinemas. What fills the bloody cinemas are films like Fast and the Furious 11. There's no denying that the love that was infused to films by studios and producers in the past decades has been, well, in decay.

But hurray for outliers. I'm all for outliers. And Logan and MMFR were outliers. So was Joker, this year. And films which are outliers on their own right, like The Favourite or The Lighthouse fortunately still get made every year.

But sequels to action films that had their roots in the 80s and 90s tend to fail, because they thrive on nostalgia, cameos, references, poor CGI and poor scripts.

But hey, all of this is my opinion. And only that.
    35 anniversary T1 :D
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I just don't understand why they make these films anymore. They had a good movie, one good movie in six. That is not a good statistic, is it? Same with Rambo, I think. They may be iconic movie characters, but they belong in the late 80s and early 90s. They work in that movie making world that, let's be honest, is dead and buried. They only want cash cows now. Same goes for Star Wars. They just don't do it for the sake of art and fun. They do it for the money. And it doesn't work in any other sense other than being money makers.

It's just sad.
    What are you talking about? What´s it got to do with the late 80s/early 90s? Haven´t we got films like Logan and MM Fury Road? It´s not as if all sequels were made for the fun of it in the 80s or 90s.

George Miller and James Mangold do not belong in that cash-cow-milkers-catergory I mentioned. They're outliers, and that's why their films worked. And that's why they refused many other offers.

And you thing TESB was made for the sole consideration of money making? Take one of the nth Disney remakes that are out in the cinemas as we speak, and tell me what purpose does it serve? Money making, that's all.

I do understand that Money was always an issue. It's a Show BUSINESS, I know that. But there were more Millers and Mangolds back then. It irks me when someone compares Spielberg - the king of blockbusters - with JJ Abrams, the king of...lens flares. There are outliers out there. Brilliant new directors and actors and even producers. They just don't have their seats on the front row of the industry any more. That's what I'm saying.

For pete's sake, Scorsese's The Irishman was made by Netflix because the "main, bigger" studios wouldn't touch it.

We do have projects of love, still. But they just don't fill the cinemas. What fills the bloody cinemas are films like Fast and the Furious 11. There's no denying that the love that was infused to films by studios and producers in the past decades has been, well, in decay.

But hurray for outliers. I'm all for outliers. And Logan and MMFR were outliers. So was Joker, this year. And films which are outliers on their own right, like The Favourite or The Lighthouse fortunately still get made every year.

But sequels to action films that had their roots in the 80s and 90s tend to fail, because they thrive on nostalgia, cameos, references, poor CGI and poor scripts.

But hey, all of this is my opinion. And only that.
    I understand now, @Univex.
    And I agree to a certain extent. On the other hand, I´d say that there has been a diversification. There´s probably more crap now then there was back then, mostly CGI vehicles, which pains me endlessly, but it´s not like the 80s/90s didn´t bring forth crappy movies also. I wasn´t talking at all about TESB, but look at all the action flics with Chuck Norris, Schwarzenegger, or Seagal. I wouldn´t put FF above those films, but FF does have some really nice action setpieces, and a playfulness I appreciate.
    I do miss films like Heat, or The Untouchables. But to be fair, those were exceptional films even in their respective times. Think about Jaws, or Raiders, or the original SW films, they were far beyond the average in those years too.
    Making a Mad Max film that stays true to its roots and at the same time is a mainstream blockbuster is thing I don´t remember from the 80s/90s. The same goes for films like Joker, or Logan, mainstream films with an R rating. And yes again, The Road Warrior not being a mainstream film only enhances the magic.
    There was this film by Robert Altman in the early 90s, that complained about Hollywood always trying to press film projects into molds. It´s an old phenomenon.
    I think it´s a bit like every generation saying that the following generation is more degenerated like the past ones. Maybe it´s just that there´s a constant change, and filmmakers as well as audiences have to learn to adapt.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Terminator: Dark Fate bombs and is expected to lose up to $130 million:

https://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-to-lose-130-million-sequels-cancelled/
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    I've been reading a few reviews and YouTube videos about Dark Fate, and Yes
    It seem to be heading to be a major failure at the box office.
    It was as generic, unoriginal and forgettable as most of the other sequels post-Judgment Day. They also didn't learn their lesson with Genisys, focusing on a trilogy instead of making a killer film that warrants another two installments.
  • I'm guessing the next step will be to let the IP cool off for 2-3 years and then produce a full on reboot of the original film.
    I'm guessing the next step will be to let the IP cool off for 2-3 years and then produce a full on reboot of the original film.

I'm fine with another film akin to the first two so long as it manages to be exciting, engaging and not feel like a complete retread. I saw someone mention the other day on Reddit that a cool idea would be Skynet sending a Terminator back in time to protect one of their key employees while the Resistance sends back a human/a reprogrammed Terminator to stop him and assassinate the employee.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited November 2019 Posts: 23,447
    Creasy47 wrote: »

https://collider.com/terminator-dark-fate-to-lose-130-million-sequels-cancelled/

This is no surprise at all, I think most of us knew this would happen.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

i was casually optimistic and thought that bringing Cameron on board would help...
    But his influence is barely noticable, if at all.

Absolutely. I thought it might end up faring a bit better due to the return of Linda Hamilton's Connor, but alas, it seems to have started out with the same box office returns as Genisys, which makes for a huge bomb. All that money lost, there's no chance it gets a sequel.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

Absolutely. I thought it might end up faring a bit better due to the return of Linda Hamilton's Connor, but alas, it seems to have started out with the same box office returns as Genisys, which makes for a huge bomb. All that money lost, there's no chance it gets a sequel.

It was inevitable, no matter how good or bad the film turned out to be.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    00Agent wrote: »

i was casually optimistic and thought that bringing Cameron on board would help...

Unfortunately I have little faith in Cameron regarding the recent Terminator films, he basically applauded Dark Fate in the same way he did Genysis. Now if Cameron outright directed another film himself I would be certainly interested though that won't happen with the multitude Avatar films ongoing.
    edited November 2019 Posts: 40,500

Unfortunately I have little faith in Cameron regarding the recent Terminator films, he basically applauded Dark Fate in the same way he did Genysis. Now if Cameron outright directed another film himself I would be certainly interested though that won't happen with the multitude Avatar films ongoing.

I semi-understood it with Dark Fate since he had a proper hands on role this time around, but still, the trailers did nothing to instill any confidence or optimism and I figured it'd be more of the same. I'd certainly love to see another installment, though, with him writing and directing and having complete control.

Cameron distancing himself from the film immediately after release speaks volumes. Then again, he was apparently responsible for some of the worst ideas in the film, such as:
    Deciding to open the film up by killing off John Connor, only to introduce a new "savior" for the Resistance.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

*shocking*

I heard people saying it's even worse than Genisys.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I'm guessing the next step will be to let the IP cool off for 2-3 years and then produce a full on reboot of the original film.

I'm fine with another film akin to the first two so long as it manages to be exciting, engaging and not feel like a complete retread. I saw someone mention the other day on Reddit that a cool idea would be Skynet sending a Terminator back in time to protect one of their key employees while the Resistance sends back a human/a reprogrammed Terminator to stop him and assassinate the employee.

Or the production company sends people back in time to prevent most of these films from being made, so they have a clean sheet.
    Walecs wrote: »

*shocking*

I'd say it was slightly better than Genisys, but that's really not saying much.

I semi-understood it with Dark Fate since he had a proper hands on role this time around, but still, the trailers did nothing to instill any confidence or optimism and I figured it'd be more of the same. I'd certainly love to see another installment, though, with him writing and directing and having complete control.

Cameron distancing himself from the film immediately after release speaks volumes. Then again, he was apparently responsible for some of the worst ideas in the film, such as:
    Deciding to open the film up by killing off John Connor, only to introduce a new "savior" for the Resistance.

That opening has put many off for sure and undermines the first two films which is dumb, the amount of writers involved was more than CR67 which tells you a lot.

Funnily enough just watched a clip with Cameron being very negative toward the films in between T2 and DF, he changes his tune quicker than my MP3 player.
  • MinionMinion Don't Hassle the Bond
    edited November 2019 Posts: 1,165

That opening has put many off for sure and undermines the first two films which is dumb, the amount of writers involved was more than CR67 which tells you a lot.

Funnily enough just watched a clip with Cameron being very negative toward the films in between T2 and DF, he changes his tune quicker than my MP3 player.
    James Cameron will say whatever studios want him to as long as he gets to keep working on Avatar sequels.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    James Cameron even criticised the opening of Alien 3 for
    killing off the protagonists of previous movies yet it was his idea to kill off John Connor
    The major problem with all the sequels post T2 are that they didn’t bother to advance the mythology or story forward.
    The reason T2 works so well is that they expanded upon the storylines introduced in the first movie and expanded the characters. All sequels since then, including Datk Fate just rehash T2. It’s made audiences numb to the franchise.
    TR007 wrote: »
    The major problem with all the sequels post T2 are that they didn’t bother to advance the mythology or story forward.
    The reason T2 works so well is that they expanded upon the storylines introduced in the first movie and expanded the characters. All sequels since then, including Datk Fate just rehash T2. It’s made audiences numb to the franchise.

Could not agree more, they should have continued the Bale storyline.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's far, far better than Genisys. But most things are.

I've seen it twice now. It's entertaining - with good action (though very CG heavy in the final third), a strong performance from Hamilton and a good villain. Davis is also pretty great in it.

But it has some baffling story choices and ultimately doesn't justify its existence, so I guess it should be seen as a failure in that regard - even though it's enjoyable enough in its own right.
  • edited November 2019 Posts: 5,767

*shocking*

I can´t say, because I walked out after an hour or so ;-).

James Cameron even criticised the opening of Alien 3 for
    killing off the protagonists of previous movies yet it was his idea to kill off John Connor
    Perhaps, after some 25 years to think about it, he thought, ah f*** it, not such a bad idea after all :-)).

I don´t give a **** about what Cameron says, since I heard him praise that Alita movie.

Minion wrote: »
    James Cameron will say whatever studios want him to as long as he gets to keep working on Avatar sequels.
    +1

TR007 wrote: »
    I must jump in and defend T4 here. T4 certainly didn´t rehash anything much. Quite the opposite, the film tried to do what Cameron himself said after T2, that he wanted to make a third film that´s set in the future. Unfortunately the film has a look as if they couldn´t fulfill their ambitions, wether creatively or financially I don´t know. But I love the FX, and the indie feel the film has. And those sounds those early Terminators make :-)!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,450
    Interview i have seen with Arnold and Linda, get idea she don't whant to be there and she not longer liked Arnold. Linda returns should have been lead in interviews, not Arnold.

Also there should contuned with sequels. Not liked 4th movie, but i stl hoped there make a fifth with better explanation. I was confused too because i also watched 1,5 of tv series before channel quite. Genisys was on tv last weak and wil give it a try and try to vergot i think it is t2 remake. So far from Dark Fate i get idea it is t3 prequel. Earlier before it be confirmd other way around, i was expecting to see 3 age difrent Sarah.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited November 2019 Posts: 4,450
    9200000123303020_1.jpg

Dvd get difrent color

9200000123303002_1.jpg

The covers possible can change, inspecialy because on those pictures are producer/directer text in German. Or Fox must have choosen to at text in German and Dutch on back insteed of normal French and Dutch. Not big problem, better then having French title on front too. I hope of course it not a sign France release get bonus we don't get.. The fifth whas released by Paramount and both 3D and 2D not get the bonus disc. But with fox moost of time all releases are same and bonus disc wil possible not credit even it is there. And from releases like Kingsman but also from last X-men Phoenix movie we know there can make good bonusmaterial releases with DTS-HD MA 7.1 when it be one disc. Whyle stil a shame there quite with slipcovers with there 3D releases before there quite with 3D and there not move over slipcover too 2D . It be good signal the movie is not released under Disney. If Dark Fate is released in 3D too, then it be confirmd there wil no 3D release. Only Dvd, BD and 4K Bluray (4K+BD).

Of course there mabey should have considerd to make BD BD/DVD combo again or release BD/DVD steelbook release as other release.
    https://collider.com/james-cameron-terminator-dark-fate-interview/?amp

Sounds like Cameron is now downplaying his role in DF.

The movie pretty definitively reaches an end point of Sarah’s timeline. Were there aspects of the mythology that you created with the first two films that you didn’t have an opportunity to previously explore?

CAMERON: I don’t want to take the position that I was the one driving this. I came in, I said, “Look, guys, I want to be of value to you,” speaking specifically to Tim Miller, as the director of the film. He pre-dated me on the project. I said, “I want to be a resource. You can have the benefit of my thinking on the matter, but you’re going to do your own thing. You’re going to follow your own muse.” David Ellison also was a very passionate voice. So, I think ultimately, the film reflects those things that we all agreed on would be cool. It’s pretty much that simple.

Was there a part of the movie that you guys repeatedly fought over because of different opinions?

CAMERON: I would say many. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that’s the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, “I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.” I was like, “No, you got to make it your movie.” I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I’m like, “Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.” So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.

The movie pretty definitively reaches an end point of Sarah’s timeline. Were there aspects of the mythology that you created with the first two films that you didn’t have an opportunity to previously explore?

CAMERON: I don’t want to take the position that I was the one driving this. I came in, I said, “Look, guys, I want to be of value to you,” speaking specifically to Tim Miller, as the director of the film. He pre-dated me on the project. I said, “I want to be a resource. You can have the benefit of my thinking on the matter, but you’re going to do your own thing. You’re going to follow your own muse.” David Ellison also was a very passionate voice. So, I think ultimately, the film reflects those things that we all agreed on would be cool. It’s pretty much that simple.

Was there a part of the movie that you guys repeatedly fought over because of different opinions?

CAMERON: I would say many. And the blood is still being scrubbed off the walls from those creative battles. This is a film that was forged in fire. But that’s the creative process, right? I mean, my work with Robert on Alita was very different. Robert loved the script, loved everything, said, “I just want to make this movie. I want to make the movie the way you see it.” I was like, “No, you got to make it your movie.” I had the reverse experience with Tim, which is Tim wanted to make it his movie. And I’m like, “Yeah, but I kind of know a little about this world.” So I had the matter and the anti-matter version of that producorial experience.

When the next Terminator film is in production Cameron will no doubt say 'Well this is the real Terminator 3, the other films don't exist in Canon and were not very good, this new film is the start of a new trilogy. We are going back to the feel of the first two films, Robert Patrick will be returning as the T-1000 with the use of de aging technology. We will come up with fresh ideas.'
    edited November 2019 Posts: 5,185

When the next Terminator film is in production Cameron will no doubt say 'Well this is the real Terminator 3, the other films don't exist in Canon and were not very good, this new film is the start of a new trilogy. We are going back to the feel of the first two films, Robert Patrick will be returning as the T-1000 with the use of de aging technology. We will come up with fresh ideas.'

It would not suprise me :))

There is one chance, and one chance only i would pay for another Terminator film (and i would have to give it some thought even then) which is if Cameron WROTE and DIRECTED it.

But as it seems he will be occupied with Avatar for the next decades, and i don't think he would care to continue Terminator anyway, judging from most of his comments.

So as far as i am concerned, the franchise is pretty much dead.

It would not suprise me :))

There is only one chance, and one chance only i would pay for another Terminator film (and i would have to give it some thought even then) which is if Cameron WROTE and DIRECTED it.

But as it seems he will be occupied with Avatar for the next decades, and i don't think he would care to continue Terminator anyway, judging from most of his comments.

So as far as i am concerned, the franchise is pretty much dead.

If Cameron actually helmed and put effort into a Terminator film I would pay more attention. One thing has crossed my mind recently watching many of his interviews is he either is just going through the motions and could not care less about Terminator sequels or he really has lost it and the Avatar sequels (4 films I think) are going to be a disaster