Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Much better trailer this time round. Got me excited again to see this movie.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,977
    I saw the original Terminator on the night it opened and was blown away; the same is true for the outstanding Terminator 2.
    James Cameron is a genius who has made some iconic films.
    With that said, this looks awful...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    buujx7wghij31.jpg
    Here's the Red Band version of the new trailer:

• Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    I have extremely low expectations for this film.
    I have extremely low expectations for this film.

Feels like we've seen it ALL before. And I hate the lazy re-working of "I'll be back."

Better trailer than the first, but the new Terminator model is very dull looking.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Still less than enthusiastic about this. It just doesn't feel like it's being made with a love for the franchise.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    One or two really cool shots in the trailer, but overall, this movie looks terrible. I might see it out of morbid curiosity eventually.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Here's the Red Band version of the new trailer:

Looks friggin awesome. Way better than the first trailer. Can't wait.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    I will watch it for Arnie, though aspects of the trailer are reminding me of the last three films. If this bombs they need to leave these films alone for a long time
  • edited August 2019 Posts: 5,767
    I´m kind of getting boring by watching that trailer. I´m not sure I see any sense in having this film.

talos7 wrote: »
    I saw the original Terminator on the night it opened and was blown away; the same is true for the outstanding Terminator 2.
    You don´t think Cameron would make a better film these days, do you ;-)?

boldfinger wrote: »
    I´m kind of getting boring by watching that trailer. I´m not sure I see any sense in having this film.

Not after the overrated Avatar...

• JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome

That and he's full of himself.

I hope all the Avatar sequels flop. And hard.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited August 2019 Posts: 3,157
    JamesCraig wrote: »

+1

I also want the new Terminator movie to flop because of Miller and Cameron blatantly lying and insulting the fans
    because John Connor dies at the beginning of the movie and when that led to a massive backlash by the fans Cameron and Miller not only denied that Connor dies and even stated that "Edward Furlong is in the movie" (but he's not, they're just CGIing his likeness over young Connor) but even called the fans "misogynsts" for not going to give this movie a chance
    edited August 2019 Posts: 7,977
    Walecs wrote: »

+1

I also want the new Terminator movie to flop because of Miller and Cameron blatantly lying and insulting the fans
    because John Connor dies at the beginning of the movie and when that led to a massive backlash by the fans Cameron and Miller not only denied that Connor dies and even stated that "Edward Furlong is in the movie" (but he's not, they're just CGIing his likeness over young Connor) but even called the fans "mysoginsts" for not going to give this movie a chance
    Then why did the overwhelming majority of these ""misogynists" completely embrace one of the most badass, strong women ever to appear on film, Ellen Ripley?
    Women, specifically strong women are not the problem.
    As I had said before I wished they had continued the Bale entry from a few years ago.
    edited August 2019 Posts: 8,034

+1

because John Connor dies at the beginning of the movie and when that led to a massive backlash by the fans Cameron and Miller not only denied that Connor dies and even stated that "Edward Furlong is in the movie" (but he's not, they're just CGIing his likeness over young Connor) but even called the fans "mysoginsts" for not going to give this movie a chance

The John Connor thread is a massive misjudgment on their part, I feel.

If they want a new saviour then that's fine, because I buy the idea that the actions of T2 created a splintered timeline - whereby an alternate version of Skynet was created by different means - and that means a new set of previously uninvolved people must now be involved. Cool. I don't see much point in repeatedly attempting to continue the series, but if they insist on doing so that is at least a novel way of doing it.

But, instead of simply removing a previous pivotal character that everyone loves, why not use him? An adult John (forget Furlong, he just wouldn't cut it now) who grew up thinking he was mankind's White Knight - but then didn't need to become that figure - must now become a soldier like his mother to protect another young person who was a lot like him.

They could have used this an opportunity to both develop old human characters and introduce new ones, keeping it consistent and giving themselves some space to explore new stuff.

But instead, Connor will barely be in it seemingly.

Time travel films are a pain in the hoop to write, I'm sure, but that's why the first two films were so good; the time travel wasn't the focus. The people were.
    Furlong is a wreck.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service

+1

If they want a new saviour then that's fine, because I buy the idea that the actions of T2 created a splintered timeline - whereby an alternate version of Skynet was created by different means - and that means a new set of previously uninvolved people must now be involved. Cool. I don't see much point in repeatedly attempting to continue the series, but if they insist on doing so that is at least a novel way of doing it.

But, instead of simply removing a previous pivotal character that everyone loves, why not use him? An adult John (forget Furlong, he just wouldn't cut it now) who grew up thinking he was mankind's White Knight - but then didn't need to become that figure - must now become a soldier like his mother to protect another young person who was a lot like him.

They could have used this an opportunity to both develop old human characters and introduce new ones, keeping it consistent and giving themselves some space to explore new stuff.

Time travel films are a pain in the hoop to write, I'm sure, but that's why the first two films were so good; the time travel wasn't the focus. The people were.

+ 1 (again)

+1

Then why did the overwhelming majority of these ""misogynists" completely embrace one of the most badass, strong women ever to appear on film, Ellen Ripley?
    Women, specifically strong women is not the problem.

Exactly, thank you!
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    edited August 2019 Posts: 6,724
    This trailer is much better than the first one. The "I'll be back" isn't really necessary.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    mattjoes wrote: »
    This trailer is much better than the first one. The "I'll be back" isn't really necessary.

Contractual obligation.
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 1,661
    I feel 50:50 on the new trailer. On the positive side it looks loaded with action and they haven't given anything away about why/how the future didn't end up peaceful. No sign of John Connor which suggests he won't play a big part in the storyline. The John Connor rumours are online if you want potential spoilers. We'll have to see if they're accurate or not. On the slightly negative side it does feel a bit of a copy and paste of T2 and Terminator Salvation (hybrid human/Terminator).

Perhaps the biggest problem with the franchise is it's very restrictive. It's basically Terminator chases humans. It's a cool concept but there's only so many times you can redo that before it gets a bit repetitive. James Bond is basically Bond saving the world 24 times but there's so many ways to tell the same sort of story but, I dunno, Terminator feels limited in how you tell the same story. Dark Fate is meant to be part one of a new trilogy so the writers/producers feel confident there is enough new/different material for three films. I wouldn't mind a massive plot twist in part 2 to really play with people's expectations rather than another truck chase through LA or New Mexico!
  • edited September 2019 Posts: 5,767
    A good truck chase goes a long way. I´m just not sure this film has it.

+1

Interesting idea. I like it.

Removing John Connor from a Terminator film seems like merely changing his face, name and gender, but that´s it.

If John Connor dies in the Dark Fate timeline it does throw a continuity spanner into the franchise. No adult John Connor means he didn't lead the resistance which means he didn't pose a threat to Skynet. It kind of cancels out the entire plot of T2 which creates a time paradox. Well, kinda. Depends how deep you wanna think about it.

Personally, I think killing John Connor is a bad idea. Perhaps it's an interesting "ah, see you never expected that!" moment, fair enough, but if it undermines the plot of T2 it's not such a cool idea. But let's see how Dark Fate pans out. It's possible Connor's death creates an alternative future timeline. In one timeline John Connor did lead the resistance hence the events of 1995 T2 time period, but in another timeline John Connor died before he could lead the resistance hence the events of Dark Fate's 2019 time period.

But yeah, it's a bit confusing!

fanbond123 wrote: »
    If John Connor dies in the Dark Fate timeline it does throw a continuity spanner into the franchise. No adult John Connor means he didn't lead the resistance which means he didn't pose a threat to Skynet. It kind of cancels out the entire plot of T2 which creates a time paradox. Well, kinda. Depends how deep you wanna think about it.

Personally, I think killing John Connor is a bad idea. Perhaps it's an interesting "ah, see you never expected that!" moment, fair enough, but if it undermines the plot of T2 it's not such a cool idea. But let's see how Dark Fate pans out. It's possible Connor's death creates an alternative future timeline. In one timeline John Connor did lead the resistance hence the events of 1995 T2 time period, but in another timeline John Connor died before he could lead the resistance hence the events of Dark Fate's 2019 time period.

But yeah, it's a bit confusing!

This isn't entirely true. The ending of T2 is a paradox in itself. If the war is prevented, then nobody ever goes back in time in the T2 timeline. So, whether Dark Fate is good or bad is one thing, but it doesn't cancel out anything that the ending of T2 hadn't already. If anything, it just shows that time travel as a concept is inevitable in these films even if the war isn't.
    You make an interesting point. Okay, if the end of T2 means Judgement Day doesn't happen then Skynet can't send back the T800 (from the first film) and the T1000 (in the second). You could argue the ending of T2 cancels out the original Terminator film. ;) Wow, it's too complicated. I can't decide if it makes sense or not!

One theory of time travel is when you change the past it splits off into a new timeline. The original timeline still exists 'unchanged' whereas the other timeline takes a new course.

Another thing to ponder or get confused about it:
    Alternate ending
    The alternate ending for Terminator 2: Judgment Day available on the Ultimate Edition DVD and the Skynet Edition Blu-ray shows Sarah alive and well on August 29, 2029. She is an elderly grandmother and John is a Senator in a world in which Skynet was never able to start its war on humanity.

If John Connor dies in Dark Fate that contradicts the above! According to that video, the alternative ending was Cameron's preferred way to close the film suggesting there wasn't meant to be a third film? Perhaps. James Cameron didn't seem sure. He lost the rights to Terminator and other people made the sequels.
    edited September 2019 Posts: 8,034
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    You make an interesting point. Okay, if the end of T2 means Judgement Day doesn't happen then Skynet can't send back the T800 (from the first film) and the T1000 (in the second). You could argue the ending of T2 cancels out the original Terminator film. ;) Wow, it's too complicated. I can't decide if it makes sense or not!

One theory of time travel is when you change the past it splits off into a new timeline. The original timeline still exists 'unchanged' whereas the other timeline takes a new course.

Another thing to ponder or get confused about it:
    Alternate ending
    The alternate ending for Terminator 2: Judgment Day available on the Ultimate Edition DVD and the Skynet Edition Blu-ray shows Sarah alive and well on August 29, 2029. She is an elderly grandmother and John is a Senator in a world in which Skynet was never able to start its war on humanity.

If John Connor dies in Dark Fate that contradicts the above! According to that video, the alternative ending was Cameron's preferred way to close the film suggesting there wasn't meant to be a third film? Perhaps. James Cameron didn't seem sure. He lost the rights to Terminator and other people made the sequels.

The above is not canon. Cameron said he didn't want to tie it up in a bow - not for sequels, just thematically - because the idea of "there is no fate but what we make for ourselves" doesn't just apply to any one individual. The battle for the future is being fought all the time on many different fronts and there will always be good vs. evil. It's thematic.

Everything to do with the future war has fate as a less malleable concept. The first Terminator film revolves around this bootstrap paradox of Kyle being John's father and his younger and closest advisor in the future. Essentially, it was his destiny to go back in time and become John's father, which he unwittingly fulfilled. Same goes for the T-800 which Skynet is built from.

T2 embraces the idea that you can change things (but, importantly, you're not the only one that can change things!) and they succeed in that, too. However, you can't change everything ("it is in your nature to destroy yourselves") and it means John Connor is an anomaly in time, physically fatherless but still present. Kind of like a few other saviours we know.

It is complicated but it only serves to bolster the view I presented above; the time travel was not the focus of the first two films. The characters were. The time travel was just a backdrop. And that's why they worked so much better than anything since, and why GENISYS was such a massive creative failure to me. It focused on all the wrong things and ultimately tripped over itself at nearly every turn.

Whatever way they treat John Connor as a character (it likely won't be good), DARK FATE at least seems to be attempting to be consistent with the ideas in the first two films. Hopefully they do enough to warrant extending the ideological loop that Cameron has effectively closed and that the sequels mostly failed to enhance.

It's not necessarily supposed to make 100% sense, it's just supposed to make you think.