The Profession of the villain

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Let's base it on a real life event a CIA agent who works in Moscow and hires a Russian agent from the FSB but Felix Leiter killed his parents for working with the KGB in the Cold War and Bond and Leiter track them down as the Russian and the rogue CIA agent try to bring down the CIA and then they join Quantum to help bring down MI6 too but the russian get's captured but escapes before he reaches custody and then they chase them all over the world and meet Yusef but Yusef gets captured and again escapes on his way to jail. This would go on for 3 films the FSB agent get's captured in the first one then the rogue CIA agent get's captured in Bond 25 and in Bond 26 Yusef get's captured and killed. Just explained my idea for the next 3 films - panting - can I have a link for future Bond film ideas.

It's gone on for one paragraph and that's already more than enough.

http://m.quickmeme.com/meme/3rlekg/
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Reading Djibouti, I am more and more convinced that a pirate for a Bond villain would work so well.

Is there any military or paramilitary position that has not been used, or rarely used, in Bond movies or elsewhere, for a villain's background?

Elmore Leonard for next Bond continuation author?

They could do a lot worse.

Plus, I like the idea of a set of pirates as contemporary villains - rather exotic like the LALD villains or the black villains in CR.

Elmore Leonard is too independent to do Bond, I think. If that makes any sense. But for the pirate as a villain, unless they go for Quantum again, which I would love, I say hell yes.

I think they'll have to go back to Quantum though. Skyfall was the modern version of Goldfinger, with Thunderball being a return to SPECTRE.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Reading Djibouti, I am more and more convinced that a pirate for a Bond villain would work so well.

Is there any military or paramilitary position that has not been used, or rarely used, in Bond movies or elsewhere, for a villain's background?

Plus, I like the idea of a set of pirates as contemporary villains - rather exotic like the LALD villains or the black villains in CR.

Elmore Leonard is too independent to do Bond, I think. If that makes any sense. But for the pirate as a villain, unless they go for Quantum again, which I would love, I say hell yes.

I think they'll have to go back to Quantum though. Skyfall was the modern version of Goldfinger, with Thunderball being a return to SPECTRE.

I do hope that this is what we are going to see, a TB-like movie for Bond 24, with a return of Quantum. Maybe with a Blofeld-like villain? So the big baddie's profession would be something akin to Blofeld's, a spy of some sort.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I do hope that this is what we are going to see, a TB-like movie for Bond 24, with a return of Quantum. Maybe with a Blofeld-like villain? So the big baddie's profession would be something akin to Blofeld's, a spy of some sort.

Yes, I think that this is likely what will happen in Bond 24.
    Darnit, not sure where to put this comment, but reading Djibouti Leonard pretty much had the same idea than me for a villain's scheme. I wonder how legal it would be to take it from the book and adapt it in a Bond movie.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Darnit, not sure where to put this comment, but reading Djibouti Leonard pretty much had the same idea than me for a villain's scheme. I wonder how legal it would be to take it from the book and adapt it in a Bond movie.

I'll have to get that novel. I'd like to see Elmore Leonard write the next Bond continuation novel.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I'll have to get that novel. I'd like to see Elmore Leonard write the next Bond continuation novel.

I wouldn't like it actually. So far Djibouti is not so great, it's a lot of people talking watching the stuff they filmed about pirates on their laptop. I think Elmore Leonard might be getting old and it is showing. But the scheme of the villain, or what one of the characters suspects to be the scheme, is very Bondian.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I wouldn't like it actually. So far Djibouti is not so great, it's a lot of people talking watching the stuff they filmed about pirates on their laptop. I think Elmore Leonard might be getting old and it is showing. But the scheme of the villain, or what one of the characters suspects to be the scheme, is very Bondian.

Yes, I've seen bad reviews on Amazon and elsewhere for that novel, but the guy's nearly 90 so one dud won't sink him, I'm sure! I do agree, though, that the pirate idea is exciting and relevant in done properly for a future James Bond film, if not perhaps Bond 24.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, I've seen bad reviews on Amazon and elsewhere for that novel, but the guy's nearly 90 so one dud won't sink him, I'm sure! I do agree, though, that the pirate idea is exciting and relevant in done properly for a future James Bond film, if not perhaps Bond 24.

I will forgive him because he is getting old and because he is Elmore Leonard, but it is far from his best. But there are good ideas.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

I will forgive him because he is getting old and because he is Elmore Leonard, but it is far from his best. But there are good ideas.

Yes, respect old age and talent. I'm shamed to say that I've not read anything of his, though I'd be interested in this one, strangely.
    He wrote many great novels, I have only read a few. This one is the first I am unable to like.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    Bumping this thread because I just read a story that sounded just like a movie plot, except it is real. I had already hear some of it, but today's Forbes just increased my appetite for the story. Sounds like a good sketch for a female villainess.
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kerryadolan/2013/08/14/how-isabel-dos-santos-took-the-short-route-to-become-africas-richest-woman/
    Interesting article. Reminds me a bit of Private Wars by Greg Rucka. We had a rich heiress in TWINE, but it was often poorly executed. A merry widow as a villainess could work fine too.
    edited August 2013 Posts: 17,804
    I meant to add to this thread by saying that I'd like to see a bent MP as the villain or a minor villain and also an author as the villain. With the 2009 Expenses Scandal in the UK, an MP seems like a good choice and they are also close to the seat of power and they could therefore help out the villain. QoS had elements on this, too. Having said that Dr Kananga was presumably an MP and was Prime Minister of San Monique. Prince Kamal Khan was described by Vijay as a marginal politician also.
    A UK MP would be a bit too small potatoes for Bond I think, and to close to home. Maybe a politician in the fictitious country of Nambutu seen in CR? Well, not the country itself but its embassy. Although I'm not a big fan of fictitious countries.
    Ludovico wrote:
    A UK MP would be a bit too small potatoes for Bond I think, and to close to home. Maybe a politician in the fictitious country of Nambutu seen in CR? Well, not the country itself but its embassy. Although I'm not a big fan of fictitious countries.

Yes, well I suppose so, but I'd still like to see an MP revisited at some stage. I'm no big fan of fictitious countries either although we've had them in both LALD and LTK. In LTK there is also the President Hector Lopez, another politician "for life".
    What worked about Guy Haines is that he was a power behind the throne. More interesting imo than an mp, more sinister too. And not partisan, thus avoiding risks of controversy.
    Ludovico wrote:
    What worked about Guy Haines is that he was a power behind the throne. More interesting imo than an mp, more sinister too. And not partisan, thus avoiding risks of controversy.

Yes, true. The murky goings-on in Whitehall or wherever. I'd like to see this angle followed up somewhat in Bond 24.
  • edited December 2013 Posts: 14,824
    Bumping this one again... When was the last time we had a villain with a PhD? We covered mainly military, secret intelligence and political world, how about academia? I know we mentioned it before, still.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,804
    Ludovico wrote:
    Bumping this one again... When was the last time we had a villain with a PhD? We covered mainly military, secret intelligence and political world, how about academia? I know we mentioned it before, still.

Well the villain in The Facts of Death (1998) - Konstantine Romanos - had a doctorate in mathematics I believe. Then there was the false doctorate of Dr No and (in the films) Dr Kananga MP.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Well the villain in The Facts of Death (1998) - Konstantine Romanos - had a doctorate in mathematics I believe. Then there was the false doctorate of Dr No and (in the films) Dr Kananga MP.

Oh, I forgot Kananga was a doctor. I wonder if it was a fake one. Was the movie's Dr No a real doctor? I probably mentioned it before on this very thread, but a chemist, a biochemist or (obviously) a physicist would make a great villain. Professor instead of doctor, to change the title.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited December 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

And of course we can't forget the iconic Professor James Moriarty, who is a celebrated mathematician with a PhD in non-Euclidean geometries.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

And of course we can't forget the iconic Professor James Moriarty, who is a celebrated mathematician with a PhD in non-Euclidean geometries.

I'm surprised they didn't use a mathematician yet. Well, Le Chiffre in the movie was, a bit, but not quite.
    edited December 2013 Posts: 17,804
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Oh, I forgot Kananga was a doctor. I wonder if it was a fake one. Was the movie's Dr No a real doctor? I probably mentioned it before on this very thread, but a chemist, a biochemist or (obviously) a physicist would make a great villain. Professor instead of doctor, to change the title.

Yes, I think Dr No in the film version was a real doctor as he was a scientist, but of course in the novel he was not. Who knows about Dr Kananga? He probably faked his Ph.D, but that is just guesswork. I think that Romanos from The Facts of Death may have been a professor, but to be honest I can't remember as I've not read the novel in yonks! I suppose that in terms of the films, we've not had a professor since Professor Dent in the very first Bond film, Dr. No, so I suppose you could say that we are overdue one! As for mathematicians, again Romanos was one, as was Le Chiffre in the novel if you read his dossier.
    And Dent was a minor villain, almost an amateur. Great character but not the main villain.
    Ludovico wrote:
    And Dent was a minor villain, almost an amateur. Great character but not the main villain.

Agreed - we didn't see an amateur again until Dominic Greene in QoS, although W.G. Howe, Zorin's "yes-man" in AVTAK might count too?
    Greene was no amateur: he was a Quantum field commander and in the game since quite a while. He had already played a role in the fall of Aristide and was very influential in south America and the Caribbean.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Greene was no amateur: he was a Quantum field commander and in the game since quite a while. He had already played a role in the fall of Aristide and was very influential in south America and the Caribbean.

Sorry, perhaps I should have better clarified what I meant by "amateur" - Greene seems to have been an amateur when it came to fighting - I mean he stuck a fire axe through his own foot!
    Oh by amateur I meant foreign to espionage. I'd say the last true amateur was maybe Elliot Carver.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Oh by amateur I meant foreign to espionage. I'd say the last true amateur was maybe Elliot Carver.

although I loved him, he was so gleefully insane, but he looked so dumb holding a gun