The Profession of the villain

Comments

Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    I miss a physical match for Bond too. I could see a villain physically modeled after say, Blackbeard. Or some other pirate, only modernised (obviously).

And I have just started Djibouti by Elmore Leonard, which is about modern day pirates. I think the time may be up for a contemporary pirates story for the big screen.

Indeed. John Gardner's already been there as I indicated above.

But that was airline pirates, not "proper" sea pirates. I find it strange that elements of pirate fiction (is that a term?) were rarely used in the Bond movies, except in TB. Where else? FYEO and TSWLM maybe?
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol2 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    I miss a physical match for Bond too. I could see a villain physically modeled after say, Blackbeard. Or some other pirate, only modernised (obviously).

And I have just started Djibouti by Elmore Leonard, which is about modern day pirates. I think the time may be up for a contemporary pirates story for the big screen.

Indeed. John Gardner's already been there as I indicated above.

But that was airline pirates, not "proper" sea pirates. I find it strange that elements of pirate fiction (is that a term?) were rarely used in the Bond movies, except in TB. Where else? FYEO and TSWLM maybe?

Yes, well I suppose that they were the main aquatic James Bond films. I'd like to see something like this, too, of course. Though it'd need to be more than just sea pirates - you'd need a bit of a twist on that.
    How about of rogue ethnic-Hungarian Romanian general from Cluj, named General Otto Szász. A former officer in Romanian Departamentul Securității Statului who has acquired his wealth from spying on both the West and his Russian master? Stealing stock and banking secrets from the West; nuclear and weapons technology from the East.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Perdogg wrote:
    How about of rogue ethnic-Hungarian Romanian general from Cluj, named General Otto Szász. A former officer in Romanian Departamentul Securității Statului who has acquired his wealth from spying on both the West and his Russian master? Stealing stock and banking secrets from the West; nuclear and weapons technology from the East.

And with a name taken from Fleming's notebook, too.

Dragonpol2 wrote:
    And with a name taken from Fleming's notebook, too.

That is no accident.
    Perdogg wrote:

Funny, I always wanted a Romanian badguy with a background linked to the old Ceaucescu regime. Maybe now the Cold War is too far gone, but a Hungarian or a Romanian baddie, former high ranking spy would work wonders I think.
    The kicker is going to be his philosophy, he is a Satanist.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Perdogg wrote:
    The kicker is going to be his philosophy, he is a Satanist.

Good. That's the sort of original and bizarre kick that we need here nowadays.
    He not going to be the Anton LeVay type, his type is going to be more calm, intellectual nihilist who has become bored and jaded over the years.
  • How about the head of a smuggling gang? They could be smuggling anything, from black-market organs, to drugs, to arms - whatever. There's definitely a lot of potential.

Alternatively, how about a hardcore Pokémon fan who is planning on using a nuclear bomb to destroy the world so that he can transform the entire planet into the Kanto region?
    Maybe they should consider having the villains members of the La Costra Nostra.
    Perdogg wrote:

That is for crime fiction I think, a bit below Bond. Yes, the novel DAF had mobsters as main villains, but I can't see it working on a contemporary setting. Russian mafia yes, but Italian mafia unless they twist it hugely no.
  • hullcityfanhullcityfan Banned
    Let's base it on a real life event a CIA agent who works in Moscow and hires a Russian agent from the FSB but Felix Leiter killed his parents for working with the KGB in the Cold War and Bond and Leiter track them down as the Russian and the rogue CIA agent try to bring down the CIA and then they join Quantum to help bring down MI6 too but the russian get's captured but escapes before he reaches custody and then they chase them all over the world and meet Yusef but Yusef gets captured and again escapes on his way to jail. This would go on for 3 films the FSB agent get's captured in the first one then the rogue CIA agent get's captured in Bond 25 and in Bond 26 Yusef get's captured and killed. Just explained my idea for the next 3 films - panting - can I have a link for future Bond film ideas.
    I
    Let's base it on a real life event a CIA agent who works in Moscow and hires a Russian agent from the FSB but Felix Leiter killed his parents for working with the KGB in the Cold War and Bond and Leiter track them down as the Russian and the rogue CIA agent try to bring down the CIA and then they join Quantum to help bring down MI6 too but the russian get's captured but escapes before he reaches custody and then they chase them all over the world and meet Yusef but Yusef gets captured and again escapes on his way to jail. This would go on for 3 films the FSB agent get's captured in the first one then the rogue CIA agent get's captured in Bond 25 and in Bond 26 Yusef get's captured and killed. Just explained my idea for the next 3 films - panting - can I have a link for future Bond film ideas.

I would prefer to get away from a Realpolitik Bond. We have too much of this in Bourne and the MI movies. I would like for EON, also, to get away from Marvel and DC comics and make Bond movies again.
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

I would prefer to get away from a Realpolitik Bond. We have too much of this in Bourne and the MI movies. I would like for EON, also, to get away from Marvel and DC comics and make Bond movies again.

Problem with hullcityfan idea is that 1)it is too akin to what we have seen recently before in Bond and other movies, 2)belongs to a TV series, and 3)pretty much off topic.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Problem with hullcityfan idea is that 1)it is too akin to what we have seen recently before in Bond and other movies, 2)belongs to a TV series, and 3)pretty much off topic.

Yes but I explained what the villain is I didn't get this off tv I don't watch tv that much and who commented it?
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

That is for crime fiction I think, a bit below Bond. Yes, the novel DAF had mobsters as main villains, but I can't see it working on a contemporary setting. Russian mafia yes, but Italian mafia unless they twist it hugely no.

What about the Hong Kong Mafia? Plenty of avenues there that they could explore.
    How about the head of a smuggling gang? They could be smuggling anything, from black-market organs, to drugs, to arms - whatever. There's definitely a lot of potential.

Alternatively, how about a hardcore Pokémon fan who is planning on using a nuclear bomb to destroy the world so that he can transform the entire planet into the Kanto region?

I read what you wrote there and it would be remiss of me not to hit you in the face with a cricket bat. BOOF!

I feel better now.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Yes but I explained what the villain is I didn't get this off tv I don't watch tv that much and who commented it?

You are thinking of a plot for two or three movies ahead, this is more like a TV series, regardless of the quality of the idea, which is at best a rewriting and a repeat of QOS.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

What about the Hong Kong Mafia? Plenty of avenues there that they could explore.

Maybe. What matters is that they represent a danger to national security, thus triggering the interest of secret services.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

You are thinking of a plot for two or three movies ahead, this is more like a TV series, regardless of the quality of the idea, which is at best a rewriting and a repeat of QOS.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Maybe. What matters is that they represent a danger to national security, thus triggering the interest of secret services.

Black-market organs, people smuggling...plenty to be explored.

For instance, the Hong Kong Mafia could be smuggling illegal aliens into the West so that they can expand their criminal operations.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 26
    Unfortunate DP.

I think the real shame here is that I doubt EON makes this effort to come up with something original.

We have probably put more effort in the next Bond than EON will.
    Perdogg wrote:
    I think the real shame here is that I doubt EON makes this effort to come up with something original.

We have probably put more effort in the next Bond than EON will.

I suppose that only time will tell though...let's not right them off just yet. They may surprise you and deliver for Bond 24.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

They should bring back James Bond jr. as a real person and do this. Back on topic. :D
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

They should bring back James Bond jr. as a real person and do this. Back on topic. :D

I read what you wrote there and it would be remiss of me not to hit you in the face with a cricket bat. BOOF!

Peace descends over me.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Peace descends over me.

Or make it a comedy and turn it into a tv series?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:
    I

Ludovico wrote:
    Perdogg wrote:

Peace descends over me.

Or make it a comedy and turn it into a tv series?

Where's the port? I need a stiff drink!
    Reading Djibouti, I am more and more convinced that a pirate for a Bond villain would work so well.

Is there any military or paramilitary position that has not been used, or rarely used, in Bond movies or elsewhere, for a villain's background?
    Ludovico wrote:
    Reading Djibouti, I am more and more convinced that a pirate for a Bond villain would work so well.

Is there any military or paramilitary position that has not been used, or rarely used, in Bond movies or elsewhere, for a villain's background?

Elmore Leonard for next Bond continuation author?

They could do a lot worse.

Plus, I like the idea of a set of pirates as contemporary villains - rather exotic like the LALD villains or the black villains in CR.
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 14,800
    Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Elmore Leonard for next Bond continuation author?

They could do a lot worse.

Plus, I like the idea of a set of pirates as contemporary villains - rather exotic like the LALD villains or the black villains in CR.

Elmore Leonard is too independent to do Bond, I think. If that makes any sense. But for the pirate as a villain, unless they go for Quantum again, which I would love, I say hell yes.