The Profession of the villain

Comments

• DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Well they're SPADS aren't they - Special Advisors. I think that legisaltion was put through to limit their powers after the 'sofa government' of the Blair era.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    @4EverBonded, I blame you for making me think about this all day.

A lot of people have been suggesting scientists, researchers, etc. I think the head of a pharmaceutical company could work, an evil genious which spreads a disease only he/she has the cure for. In one strike the villain wants to become incredibly rich and gain admiration from the world (keep your eyes on the Nobel, eyes on the Nobel). This is a very tradicional Bond-villain kind of plan, an evil genious, but could work.

I saw some suggestions for archaeologists. Why not an art collector? Art collection moves millions, it's nasty business. Yes, it brings us a bit to Indy territory but why not? If well done we could have a crazy guy who would sell his mother for an Etruscan vase (if I remember Henry Jones Sr. line from The Last Crusade) or better, his country for a Rembrandt ;)
  • edited April 2013 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    RogueAgent wrote:
    A powerful public figure politically maybe? Quantum have fingers in many pies! >-)

That's another good one. I love your smilie! I've always had a thing for an MP being a minor villain using his political acumen to frustate James Bond at every step of the way - he could be a rogue junior minister in the MoD or some such. I once wrote a (not very good) short story around the idea of a villainous MP. It all seems so fitting now after the 2009 Expenses Scandal here in the UK as well as the general dislike of politicians that resulted in the Hung Parliament Party winning the May 2010 General Election.

Guy Haines was a bit like this, not a politician but an important political advisor. He could of course show up again.

Last time I watched QOS I almost pissed myself when I realised he was the dad from Friday Night Dinner. Not sure I'd be able to take him seriously after that.
    Sandy wrote:

A lot of people have been suggesting scientists, researchers, etc. I think the head of a pharmaceutical company could work, an evil genious which spreads a disease only he/she has the cure for. In one strike the villain wants to become incredibly rich and gain admiration from the world (keep your eyes on the Nobel, eyes on the Nobel). This is a very tradicional Bond-villain kind of plan, an evil genious, but could work.

I saw some suggestions for archaeologists. Why not an art collector? Art collection moves millions, it's nasty business. Yes, it brings us a bit to Indy territory but why not? If well done we could have a crazy guy who would sell his mother for an Etruscan vase (if I remember Henry Jones Sr. line from The Last Crusade) or better, his country for a Rembrandt ;)

I am not too keen on another businessman, not if he is a public figure anyway (it's been done so often). But he could be like I mentioned a WMD guru. We haven't had a reclusive scientist à la Dr. No since... Blofeld in OHMSS? Silva was reclusive, but not exactly a scientist, not like Dr No anyway.

An art collector or any art connoisseur would be a GREAT idea. Not only do they move millions, but many works of art are public properties, stealing them is basically stealing from the state, there would be important financial, cultural and security issues related to it, so it could definitely interest MI6 if the evil art lover was living (and operating from) abroad.
    edited April 2013 Posts: 17,730
    We already have had a jewellery collector in Octopussy in the form of Prince Kamal Khan, and very confusing his caper was, too. But an art collector of course could done very differently - I like the Rembrandt for a coutry bit very much! Very Bondian.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    We already have had a jewellery collector in Octopussy in the form of Prince Kamal Khan, and very confusing his caper was, too. But an art collector of course could done very differently - I like the Rembrandt for a coutry bit very much! Very Bondian.

That was a while ago though, and the Fabergé side of the plot was one aspect of it, so making art the center of a villain's scheme might bring something interesting and different.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Sandy wrote:

Been done - MI2
    Sandy wrote:

I like the idea of art collector or archaeologist but this can only ever be as a background to the main caper. I cant really conceive of a plot where stealing some art or artifact could pose a threat to western civilisation. Unless we go down another low key villains plan a la CR and QOS but I think theres something of a groundswell towards a classic villain and plot for the next film (Silva only went part of the way to being that for me) and suggestions of an MP or a buisnessman are just too dull. We need a larger than life Goldfinger style villain and, crucially, a decent henchman for Dans Bond to pit his wits against.

I am not sure QOS's scheme was so low key, but I see what you mean Wizard. I was not thinking about an art collector for Bond 24 necessarily, only in the future. Bond 24 should maybe have a military, paramilitary or spy villain, exceptional nature of course, who gets his hands on a WMD (a MOAB, or maybe a FOAB?). Or maybe a bomb would be too conventional, I don't know. For the henchman, this should be relatively easy to provide.
  • samainsysamainsy Suspended
    Ludovico wrote:
    What should be the profession(s) of the villain in Bond 24 and in subsequent movies? Quite often, too often IMO, they are businessmen, which gets repetitive very quickly. We have recently seen spies of various kinds and terrorists, which I think is a nice trend. We have not seen many villains from the military, except secondary villains like Medrano. It would be interesting to have say a rogue Russian general as a badguy.
    Raoul Silva was a bit like that if you think about it.

samainsy wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    What should be the profession(s) of the villain in Bond 24 and in subsequent movies? Quite often, too often IMO, they are businessmen, which gets repetitive very quickly. We have recently seen spies of various kinds and terrorists, which I think is a nice trend. We have not seen many villains from the military, except secondary villains like Medrano. It would be interesting to have say a rogue Russian general as a badguy.

Well he was a rogue secret agent, certainly.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    samainsy wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Well he was a rogue secret agent, certainly.

But there are many kinds of agents, what made Silva special was that he was a computer expert (and that's why I always thought it was more fitting that he was killed by a single knife thrown in the back instead of a long mano a mano fight with Bond, as he was no operative). Different rogues and deserters are from different professions, so bring different kinds of threat. It is also true, to a lesser extend, of military officers: being a colonel or a general is a rank, different officers have different specialties. We mentioned before the overused rogue Russian general. How about a rogue admiral turned pirate? Like a modernised, utterly evil Captain Nemo.
  • JRRJRR
    Wait for it…. You will need to bear with me, while I explain. “An Architect”

I can guess what you are thinking. WHY?

If you can imagine a character with an excessive desire to create his/her own blueprint design on a country, where the only consideration is the fact that the politics can be purchased for shameless bribery and achieving his/her aim is the single and paramount factor driving his/her sole ambition.

The basis for such a character would be born out of a past, filled with angered frustration, where others have frequently hampered the progress of his/her personal aspirations, creating a drive combined with a vengeful desire to express themselves in the most selfish and calculating of ways.

Their mindset would accept no failure in themselves or others, meaning whoever becomes an obstacle to them or their objectives is simply removed from their projects or on a more disconcerting note, this world, permanently!

Their schemes would be financed by a multitude of organised crimes, which he/she would orchestrate form a safe distance with an anything goes attitude, so long as their villainous schemes have no visible or suspected connections to the source of their ill gotten wealth or them personally, in order to keep their reputation cleansed and continue financing the will of their desire, and eventually accomplish the realisation of an ultimate dream.

In the backdrop of the manipulated and now developing country, with its new cities staging an impressive and seducing allure to the indigenous people, there would be an even greater evil simmering underneath; the grand plan to shape a human race who would be encouraged to live in this so called “perfect environment” and be educated or more appropriately brainwashed into believing only the propaganda sold to them by their self imposed dictating ruler.

This kind of story would be a nice throwback to some of the earlier James Bond films, with a colourful villain, illustrating an impressively forged public persona, offering respectability and influence as a face value, cloaking the concealed supreme wicked genius inside.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    edited April 2013 Posts: 4,012
    I like that idea @JRR. I would have a lot of potential, especially if they used African locations where cities are being constructed from scratch.
    The idea of an architect is interesting, but the idea of building a new human race is way too scifi and too close to Moonraker and TSWLM.
  • JRRJRR
    Ludovico wrote:
    The idea of an architect is interesting, but the idea of building a new human race is way too scifi and too close to Moonraker and TSWLM.

This idea is to give this ambitious villains mind a greater objective, and thinking that some of the old-school fans may enjoy the sheer audacity of such an outlandish and arrogant proposal.

To create an advanced set of new cities, and in the thoughts of “wicked genius”, a civilisation of humans intent on only progress without arguing over the present politics, religion and the usual world affairs, which at times cause sad and unnecessarily painful conflicts.

This new James Bond nemesis would be a character so consumed and convinced by his/her own vision of a "Perfect world", he/she would be able to advertise and sell their inspiration and influence by the sheer wonder of their past achievements and future proposals, their magnetism would easily generate an atmosphere of overwhelming accomplishment and confidence in their potential to be the answers to a struggling country’s problems.

The darker truth if exposed to the world, would lead to a consuming inner fear and the urgency to end to this villains grasp over a county and its people before he/she is permitted, to pursue a world domination.

Bonds investigations would lead him on a journey around the globe collecting the pieces of a terrifying jigsaw, with the increasing realisation of carefully planned events, leading to the existing human race being overtaken by the villains new breed of intelligent humans abandoning the idea’s of the past.

The plot would feed the audiences anticipation illustrating the potential damage of a human race with an almost robotic and soulless existence trying to eradicate the sometimes-tolerant world.

It sounds like an interesting plot, but to a scifi movie, not a James Bond movie. I am all for a large-scale scheme for the villain, but something contemporary. This is futuristic distopia.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited May 2013 Posts: 4,416
    Sandy wrote:

You first part is close to what i think will happend in Bond 24 and Bond 25, but in the legacy of Eliot Carver and OHMSS Blofeld.

On the old forums people who more in to the novels of Ian Fleming be in discussion about elements of the Yolt, TMWTGG gun novels. Possible John Logan idea and intresting things from the Everthing or Nothing documentry, all this mixup with the rise of Bond (See The Tiger Tanaka scene's from Yolt!), more violence style of Eliot Carver, who whas based on real events and element of weakness from people he used: Trust (Dench M ) and that wil be the case again. Live and Let Die over and over again.

It is shame the line about chinees sea from Skyfall is removed from the final movie.

Scientists, researcher, doctor. Twister http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=denwZMYjJAw meet Harry Potter 5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQAX-YwX6iM

Quantum is back, a flash of the past is repeat in the present. Again! deeply embedded in the days of our lives. Daniel Craig returns for the 4th time as James Bond in 007 in New York. Yesterday is history, Today is a memory, but what it be tomorrow ? The Lies of yesterday are the future of tomorrow.

Balje, I have no idea what you are talking about.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:

I never do either, but that is his charm. ;)
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, but I'd like to stay on topic. Or is he on topic?;-)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

It is difficult to ascertain for sure. Historians have pondered for centuries the great mystery behind Balje, but no concrete results have arisen thus far, I'm afraid.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

It is difficult to ascertain for sure. Historians have pondered for centuries the great mystery behind Balje, but no concrete results have arisen thus far, I'm afraid.

A plot for Indy V perchance?

Indiana Jones And The Mystery Of The Balje Scrolls?

All that can be said for sure is that the boards would be a worse place without the Balje. Mad as a bicycle.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

A plot for Indy V perchance?

Indiana Jones And The Mystery Of The Balje Scrolls?

All that can be said for sure is that the boards would be a worse place without the Balje. Mad as a bicycle.

Agreed. Mad as a lorry. That's why we love him and MI6.
    I was thinking about it, and it occured to me that there is a difference between a line of work and a profession. Both Trevelyan an Silva were MI6 spies turned traitors, they were both very different professionals: one was an operative, the other a computer expert doing desk job. If a villain comes from the military, he should be more than a rank.
    Ludovico wrote:
    I was thinking about it, and it occured to me that there is a difference between a line of work and a profession. Both Trevelyan an Silva were MI6 spies turned traitors, they were both very different professionals: one was an operative, the other a computer expert doing desk job. If a villain comes from the military, he should be more than a rank.

Yes, I think that this is an interesting dual approach to the villain's status - a bit more complex. Always good in modern James Bond films, I think.

Dragonpol wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:

Yes, I think that this is an interesting dual approach to the villain's status - a bit more complex. Always good in modern James Bond films, I think.

Like I said a few posts above, having say the rogue military officer from one section of the army instead of another, or even from one special trade instead of another, and you have a very specific character with very specific M.O.s. A deposed general, wannabe dictator like Medrano is not the same as a former army officer turned terrorist because he is good at making bombs, or my hypothetical admiral turned pirate.
    I would like to see a rogue CIA or American officer, some scumbag like Oliver North or some character like the one John Goodman played in the fourth season of Damages. A wealthy right wing defense contractor.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2013 Posts: 16,328
    Bond needs to fight some gangsters like in the DAF Novel. Somebody call Michael Madsen and James Gandolfini and make them the Spang Brothers.
    Murdock wrote:
    Bond needs to fight some gangsters like in the DAF Novel. Somebody call Michael Madsen and James Gandolfini and make them the Spang Brothers.

The thing is gangsters are the concern of the police, not secret services. I am not saying it should not be done, and organized crime can be a serious threat to national security, but it would need a twist. Gangsters from Russian mob selling nuclear material or WMD? Something like that.

I am all for the Spangs being featured in a film. Madsen played in DAD, so not sure he should play in a future Bond movies. Yes, some played different roles in different Bonds, but still. I always pictured Jack Spang being played by Paul Ben-Victor.

That said this is not a casting thread.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I would like to see a rogue CIA or American officer, some scumbag like Oliver North or some character like the one John Goodman played in the fourth season of Damages. A wealthy right wing defense contractor.

Well I suppose that Brad Whitaker from The Living Daylights filled the Oliver North role already. He was a dropout with "military pretensions".