The Profession of the villain

Comments

Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I would like to see a rogue CIA or American officer, some scumbag like Oliver North or some character like the one John Goodman played in the fourth season of Damages. A wealthy right wing defense contractor.

Well I suppose that Brad Whitaker from The Living Daylights filled the Oliver North role already. He was a dropout with "military pretensions".

It didn't quite work though. I think mainly because the role was miscast.
  • Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    I would like to see a rogue CIA or American officer, some scumbag like Oliver North or some character like the one John Goodman played in the fourth season of Damages. A wealthy right wing defense contractor.

Well I suppose that Brad Whitaker from The Living Daylights filled the Oliver North role already. He was a dropout with "military pretensions".

And underwritten, and too hammy, and given a terrible name (Ernst Stavro Blofeld -> Brad Whitaker(!))

Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

And underwritten, and too hammy, and given a terrible name (Ernst Stavro Blofeld -> Brad Whitaker(!))

Yes that too. But I don't know if a better actor could have salvaged some of it. Koskov was not exactly well written either, but Krabbe does give weight to the role.
  • edited May 2013 Posts: 3,236
    Ludovico wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Yes that too. But I don't know if a better actor could have salvaged some of it. Koskov was not exactly well written either, but Krabbe does give weight to the role.

Krabbe makes him memorable and certainly does a better job than Joe Don Baker, but doesn't quite give him weight. He's a bit too hammy for that. Koskov comes off as a wacky goof rather than a villain. The general silliness of Koskov and Whitaker was without a doubt TLD's greatest weakness.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Krabbe makes him memorable and certainly does a better job than Joe Don Baker, but doesn't quite give him weight. He's a bit too hammy for that. Koskov comes off as a wacky goof rather than a villain. The general silliness of Koskov and Whitaker was without a doubt TLD's greatest weakness.
    What? Realism in fiction is lost on people clearly.... peeps IRL are freakin' dopey. Reagan? Thatcher?
    Please. :))
  • chrisisall wrote:

What? Realism in fiction is lost on people clearly.... peeps IRL are freakin' dopey. Reagan? Thatcher?

It's James Bond. The series with hollowed-out volcano lairs. Ridiculous villains are par for the course.

• edited May 2013 Posts: 14,830
    chrisisall wrote:

It's James Bond. The series with hollowed-out volcano lairs. Ridiculous villains are par for the course.

The villains still have to be menacing. Anyway that is off topic.
    I have a idea for the villain for bond 24.
    He is a intelligent terrorist who is advanced at hand to hand combat and is advanced at weaponry. He wants revenge on England
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    LWN56 wrote:
    He is a intelligent terrorist who is advanced at hand to hand combat and is advanced at weaponry. He wants revenge on England

Sounds like an update of Sir Hugo Drax, only more physical.
    Dragonpol wrote:
    LWN56 wrote:

Sounds like Trevelyan, Silva, Renard, etc. Next movie should not be with a villain motivated by revenge. A terrorist? Yes absolutely, if different from the recent ones. But with different motivations.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Dragonpol wrote:
    LWN56 wrote:

Sounds like Trevelyan, Silva, Renard, etc. Next movie should not be with a villain motivated by revenge. A terrorist? Yes absolutely, if different from the recent ones. But with different motivations.

Yes, I think that the revenge aspect for villain motivation was well enough covered in Skyfall. I doubt that we'll see that again for a while.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    LWN56 wrote:

Stunning originality. Suggest you e-mail EON post haste as they will surely want you on board as a scriptwriter.

Perhaps there could also be a beautiful girl who Bond shags and a car with gadgets? =D>
    LWN56 wrote:

Stunning originality. Suggest you e-mail EON post haste as they will surely want you on board as a scriptwriter.

Perhaps there could also be a beautiful girl who Bond shags and a car with gadgets? =D>

The Great Sarcasmo strikes again!!! :))
    LWN56 wrote:

I had an idea for a stupid terrorist, but not so sure.;-) I don't want to be cruel, but "advanced at" sounds like a video game character.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited May 2013 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote:
    LWN56 wrote:

Well I mean really....?
    Dragonpol wrote:
    LWN56 wrote:

Well I mean really....?

As if you didn't know...!
    I would love the idea of a professional assassin like Scaramanga, actually based on the novel's Scaramanga, and like in the novel have him be the henchman yet the main villain. That said, not for Bond 24, for Bond 24 I would rather see the head of Quantum.

Which makes me wonder: what would be the profession of the head of Quantum? The ruling members seem to come from the highest circles of politics and espionage (mixed of course with international businessmen), so what should the head of Quantum, if indeed there is a leader, be by trade?
  • edited June 2013 Posts: 14,830
    Reviving this thread...

I would love to see a pirate kind of villain, maybe freely modeled after Captain Nemo. Although for Bond 24 I want a villain motivated by something else than revenge.
    Ludovico wrote:
    Reviving this thread...

I would love to see a pirate kind of villain, maybe freely modeled after Captain Nemo. Although for Bond 24 I want a villain motivated by something else than revenge.

I think we got the Captain Nemo with Stromberg in TSWLM. after half a century Bond has covered the whole spectrum of bad guys...maybe not.
    Mr. White is still out there...waiting...and waiting....
    I would like to see them use the villians they had originally envisioned for TSWLM...a group of young Turks from every known terrorist group of the late sixties and seventies who take over SPECTRE, kill the old guard and decide to destroy civilization and start all over.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    Ludovico wrote:
    Reviving this thread...

I think we got the Captain Nemo with Stromberg in TSWLM. after half a century Bond has covered the whole spectrum of bad guys...maybe not.
    Mr. White is still out there...waiting...and waiting....
    I would like to see them use the villians they had originally envisioned for TSWLM...a group of young Turks from every known terrorist group of the late sixties and seventies who take over SPECTRE, kill the old guard and decide to destroy civilization and start all over.

But Stromberg belonged to scifi territory. I would have someone more believable. I love the idea of a modern day pirate in a Bond movie. After all, piracy is still a problem.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    That would make the villain probably a Somali warlord. Which would be fine by me. One that would specifically target English shipping with relentless violence and sadism would call for somebody like Bond to be send in. The good thing about that would be that Bond finally wouldn't be on a personal level involved. Nor M. Just plain old agent send to investigate and stop piracy.

Obviously such a rich warlord could have a proper lair, and even some grander scheme in which the attacks on specifically British shipping would be a 'personal' twist against England, leaving room for some backstory as simple as 'once was humiliated by some Brit'.
    Idris Elba as Buonaparte Ignace Gallia, modern day pirate? One can dream. It could certainly work.
    edited June 2013 Posts: 17,805
    Well, piracy is still very relevant both in ship hijacks and plane hijacks and it is of course covered by international law, meaning that James Bond could get involved in it anywhere in the world, really. John Gardner wrote a Boysie Oakes spy novel called The Airlines Pirates, so Bond has sort of some form in this area too.

Plus, how about an actor or a magician as a profession of a future villain. I'm thinking here of David Dragonpol from John Gardner's Never Send Flowers specifically. He was an ex-actor turned serial killer. All I can say is: inspired!
    I would prefer a sea pirate than an air pirate. We haven't had many sea based adventures for Bond in recent memory and it has all this historical and cultural connotation that would work so well. Imagine a modern pirate island for a villain's lair. Okay, we had an island recently in SF, but something more luxurious (à la Crab Key?) would not be repetitive.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Bond on board on a submarine would be good for story ideas and present a lot of opportunities. Perhaps, like in the Thunderball novel.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Bond on board on a submarine would be good for story ideas and present a lot of opportunities. Perhaps, like in the Thunderball novel.

Yes it could. Are there any pirates using any sort of submarine? I know modern day pirates often use small boats. Still, a pirate with more resources and better equipment could be a great starting point for a plot.
    I've always had an idea for Bond being involved in the logging business and all that goes on there. I've had this idea since the late 1990s. Just thought I would throw that curve ball in there!
    Ludovico wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:

Yes it could. Are there any pirates using any sort of submarine? I know modern day pirates often use small boats. Still, a pirate with more resources and better equipment could be a great starting point for a plot.

That would be a good way to start off a new story. I think that there would be some interesting things that they could do with such a setup that could be a bit different from what we've seen in the previous films.

I'd like to see Bond square off against someone that can match him both physically and mentally. The last few villains we've had have been more of the cerebral type. I think it's time for Bond to come across a main villain that actually poses a physical danger to him and who might actually have the upper hand on him if they engaged in hand-to-hand combat.

I miss a physical match for Bond too. I could see a villain physically modeled after say, Blackbeard. Or some other pirate, only modernised (obviously).

And I have just started Djibouti by Elmore Leonard, which is about modern day pirates. I think the time may be up for a contemporary pirates story for the big screen.
  • Dragonpol2Dragonpol2 The Crazy World of Daniel Dragonpol
    Ludovico wrote:
    I miss a physical match for Bond too. I could see a villain physically modeled after say, Blackbeard. Or some other pirate, only modernised (obviously).

And I have just started Djibouti by Elmore Leonard, which is about modern day pirates. I think the time may be up for a contemporary pirates story for the big screen.

Indeed. John Gardner's already been there as I indicated above.