Batman

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Fire_and_Ice_Returns and @Revelator Thanks for the answers, fellas!
  • Taking a page from SPECTRE much? Why do moviemakers seem to think this is such a good narrative avenue for iconic characters when common sense says it's in fact the stuff of parody?
  • Seven_Point_Six_FiveSeven_Point_Six_Five Southern California
    Risico007 wrote: »
    https://batman-news.com/2018/07/25/the-batman-year-one-harvey-dent/

Sigh really ok igonoring the fact I want a solo Batman Affleck film still year one again god what is dc stuck in the same loop from what was it nightmare on elm street 4

I don’t believe any of this is true but allow me to angrily rant about it anyway:

What the F is going on? We don’t need a Batman reboot. We don’t need a Batman origin story. We don’t need an alternate Batman timeline.

If Affleck is in, then write up a good script and move forward. If Affleck is out, recast then write up a good script and move forward.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I concur.
    Batman animation appears to "get it" so much better at the moment...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Taking a page from SPECTRE much? Why do moviemakers seem to think this is such a good narrative avenue for iconic characters when common sense says it's in fact the stuff of parody?

That was the first thing to cross my mind.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

GOD NO! my interest was luke warm before, if this is true my interest is none existent.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 17,691
    A few bucks on eBay... a lot of enjoyment from me. These are small, but nicely sculpted.

8Fvdau7.jpg

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I still consider Keaton to be the best Batman, Nicholson to be the best Joker, and Batman Begins tied with Batman 1989 as being the best film. This controversial at all?
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,567
    @Remington
    I don't think that's controversial. :) Many feel that way, certainly about Keaton and Nicholson.

Keaton is "my" Batman, the one I grew up with, the one I spent a good 15 years celebrating as the best Batman ever, not including Conroy. Then Bale came, and it's a very close call for me now. Both are great actors, both gave great performances. Keaton was PERFECT for Batman in his days and so was Bale in his. The one thing I can give Bale over Keaton is the awesome energy he brings to the game. I know which of these two I wouldn't want to mess with. Then again, Bale was given scripts that are also, at least in my opinion, more challenging for an actor. He was dealt a better chance to prove his worth if you like. :)

As for Nicholson. "I love that Joker!" And I really do! The only thing I wish people would see is that he's channelling Romero half the time. Nothing wrong with that; he's amazing in Batman '89. But Ledger for example put an entirely new spin on the Joker, as did the likes of Timm, Radomski, Dini and others along with Mark Hamill. If originality counts for something, well, then that's a point I want to make. Just for the sake of argument.

Because Batman '89 is the dark fantasy, an excellent timeless superhero tale; whereas Batman Begins and its sequels are extremely topical comments on contemporary society, naturalistic and allegorical. Donald Trump may not realise it (and probably wouldn't care), but if Nolan had made a Batman film post his election, I'm sure the plot would have reflected heavily on the current madness. The truth is, I love both Batman films.

The major difference is probably where the series went after their first films. Batman '89 was a smashing hit but then Burton took his carnivalesque liberties a nod too far for me and went all goofy and Caligari on Batman Returns. It's a good film, don't get me wrong, but too much Burton is like too much chilli for me: a little can fire a meal up, too much will relocate me to the toilet for half a day. Then Batman Forever and Batman And Robin came, two films I don't nearly hate as much as many other folks, but obviously not the best place to go. I can 'stand' them on the basis of regarding them as unintentional homages to the deliciously crazy Batman '66 camp fest. The time, of course, wasn't right for it--heck, we didn't want it, now did we?--but just like we have recently witnessed this small-scale but effective return of fans to the Adam West series, with a successful comic book title and two hilarious animated films, so may we one day look back on Batman Forever and Batman And Robin with some reserved, guilty appreciation. Still, things went a little "off" after Batman '89 and perhaps that's the primary reason why many of us are so in love with The Animated Series and its films. Not only is it a bloody good series--period--but it also helped us survive the sufferings to which we were subjected with some of those live-action films.

Batman Begins is the opposite story. It barely broke even, if at all, yet Warner allowed more Nolan Batman and suddenly we received the excellent movie called The Dark Knight, which made me, literally, cry tears of joy. The Dark Knight Rises is a great conclusion to this epic trilogy. While 90's Batman struggled to find the proper course and ended up zigzagging amidst a lot of confusion from us, the fans--"wait, so you're saying the animated stuff is better than the Hollywood films?"--Nolan played it cool, smart and elegant, and though slightly polarising, his films have obviously gained a lot of respect.

So maybe that's how I see it in the end. The Burton / Schumacher films were glamorous and loud and colourful and have, at least some of them, gained our pop culture love; but Nolan's films are the ones that have thrilled and excited and impressed the hell out of me, and they are the ones I profoundly respect. Time will tell which of these series survive the judgements of our ever-changing tastes the best. For me, personally, Batman '89 will always be that film that worked the magic I, as a young boy, was looking for, but Nolan's Batman films are the ones I call my darlings.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @Remington
    I don't think that's controversial. :) Many feel that way, certainly about Keaton and Nicholson.

Keaton is "my" Batman, the one I grew up with, the one I spent a good 15 years celebrating as the best Batman ever, not including Conroy. Then Bale came, and it's a very close call for me now. Both are great actors, both gave great performances. Keaton was PERFECT for Batman in his days and so was Bale in his. The one thing I can give Bale over Keaton is the awesome energy he brings to the game. I know which of these two I wouldn't want to mess with. Then again, Bale was given scripts that are also, at least in my opinion, more challenging for an actor. He was dealt a better chance to prove his worth if you like. :)

As for Nicholson. "I love that Joker!" And I really do! The only thing I wish people would see is that he's channelling Romero half the time. Nothing wrong with that; he's amazing in Batman '89. But Ledger for example put an entirely new spin on the Joker, as did the likes of Timm, Radomski, Dini and others along with Mark Hamill. If originality counts for something, well, then that's a point I want to make. Just for the sake of argument.

Because Batman '89 is the dark fantasy, an excellent timeless superhero tale; whereas Batman Begins and its sequels are extremely topical comments on contemporary society, naturalistic and allegorical. Donald Trump may not realise it (and probably wouldn't care), but if Nolan had made a Batman film post his election, I'm sure the plot would have reflected heavily on the current madness. The truth is, I love both Batman films.

The major difference is probably where the series went after their first films. Batman '89 was a smashing hit but then Burton took his carnivalesque liberties a nod too far for me and went all goofy and Caligari on Batman Returns. It's a good film, don't get me wrong, but too much Burton is like too much chilli for me: a little can fire a meal up, too much will relocate me to the toilet for half a day. Then Batman Forever and Batman And Robin came, two films I don't nearly hate as much as many other folks, but obviously not the best place to go. I can 'stand' them on the basis of regarding them as unintentional homages to the deliciously crazy Batman '66 camp fest. The time, of course, wasn't right for it--heck, we didn't want it, now did we?--but just like we have recently witnessed this small-scale but effective return of fans to the Adam West series, with a successful comic book title and two hilarious animated films, so may we one day look back on Batman Forever and Batman And Robin with some reserved, guilty appreciation. Still, things went a little "off" after Batman '89 and perhaps that's the primary reason why many of us are so in love with The Animated Series and its films. Not only is it a bloody good series--period--but it also helped us survive the sufferings to which we were subjected with some of those live-action films.

Batman Begins is the opposite story. It barely broke even, if at all, yet Warner allowed more Nolan Batman and suddenly we received the excellent movie called The Dark Knight, which made me, literally, cry tears of joy. The Dark Knight Rises is a great conclusion to this epic trilogy. While 90's Batman struggled to find the proper course and ended up zigzagging amidst a lot of confusion from us, the fans--"wait, so you're saying the animated stuff is better than the Hollywood films?"--Nolan played it cool, smart and elegant, and though slightly polarising, his films have obviously gained a lot of respect.

So maybe that's how I see it in the end. The Burton / Schumacher films were glamorous and loud and colourful and have, at least some of them, gained our pop culture love; but Nolan's films are the ones that have thrilled and excited and impressed the hell out of me, and they are the ones I profoundly respect. Time will tell which of these series survive the judgements of our ever-changing tastes the best. For me, personally, Batman '89 will always be that film that worked the magic I, as a young boy, was looking for, but Nolan's Batman films are the ones I call my darlings.

@DarthDimi while I don't agree with everything, that is an excellent post nonetheless.
    @Remington

Thank you, sir. :) Pray tell where our opinions differ. I'd love to have that chat with you. :)
    @Remington

Thank you, sir. :) Pray tell where our opinions differ. I'd love to have that chat with you. :)

Honestly, @DarthDimi, I'm just not much of a fan of TDK and TDKR these days. However, I absolutely love Ledger's Joker. He totally deserved the Oscar. The films are just a little too serious and long for my taste. The reason I like Batman 1989 so much is, while it has its dark moments, it has a lot of humor to it. The nostalgia doesn't hurt. However, I can definitely see the appeal for Nolan's films and I respect your opinion. They might grow on me in the future.

I do like Bale's portrayal by the way. He's a fine actor. I like Ben Affleck but I just cannot see him as Bruce Wayne.
    I can see where you're going, @Remington, and I fully accept that, really. Look at the comics. Some of those are dead serious with political overtones and whatnot, others are tastefully humorous, some are craaaaaaazy in a psychological way almost, and then there are others still. Tonally, it's a very rich universe and I for one would never try to demand seriousness from Batman all the time. I completely understand that "having a good time with a Batman film" can fall under a vastly different tonal configuration for different people. And if, indeed, a decidedly serious Batman flick isn't your thing, then yes, TDK and TDKR are to be avoided. It certainly won't help that they occupy the better part of an entire evening either. Nolan clearly chose to go one way with these films rather than play the middle field as much as possible, and I can absolutely see how that may cause friction with fans whose tastes don't align with Nolan's. Above all, I know that it's not because I really love those films, everyone will. In fact, that both TDK and TDKR generated such grand BO returns, caught me by surprise. If you had asked for my prediction in early 2008, I would have guessed that Iron Man was going to kick Batman's butt in absolute numbers. ;-)
    I can see where you're going, @Remington, and I fully accept that, really. Look at the comics. Some of those are dead serious with political overtones and whatnot, others are tastefully humorous, some are craaaaaaazy in a psychological way almost, and then there are others still. Tonally, it's a very rich universe and I for one would never try to demand seriousness from Batman all the time. I completely understand that "having a good time with a Batman film" can fall under a vastly different tonal configuration for different people. And if, indeed, a decidedly serious Batman flick isn't your thing, then yes, TDK and TDKR are to be avoided. It certainly won't help that they occupy the better part of an entire evening either. Nolan clearly chose to go one way with these films rather than play the middle field as much as possible, and I can absolutely see how that may cause friction with fans whose tastes don't align with Nolan's. Above all, I know that it's not because I really love those films, everyone will. In fact, that both TDK and TDKR generated such grand BO returns, caught me by surprise. If you had asked for my prediction in early 2008, I would have guessed that Iron Man was going to kick Batman's butt in absolute numbers. ;-)

Well congratulations @DarthDimi. I'm almost in the mood to rewatch the Nolan films now. I actually quite enjoyed them when I was younger. I'm just overly critical at times.
    edited August 2018 Posts: 23,567
    Don't worry, I have that all the time, @Remington. Don't we all go through that phase of singling out our darlings when we are younger, only to "rebel" against some of them later in life, only to then fondly rediscover them and never let them go? :)

I can feed you tons of examples, including THE GOONIES, several of the Bonds, STAR TREK, even BEVERLY HILLS COP, ... :)
    Don't worry, I have that all the time, @Remington. Don't we all go through that phase of singling out our darlings when we are younger, only to "rebel" against some of them later in life, only to then fondly rediscover them and never let them go? :)

I can feed you tons of examples, including THE GOONIES, several of the Bonds, STAR TREK, even BEVERLY HILLS COP, ... :)

Very true, my friend, very true.
    @Remington

One last note here for me is that the Burton Batman existed in a specific world created to tell that tale (similar to the Donner Superman, in a way), whereas Nolan achieved the impossible by successfully placing his Batman in a more or less real world setting. That alone is a monumental achievement IMO...
    Another thing- no matter how much I love Michelle's Catwoman in Batman Returns, Anne's in TDKR was the cat's whiskers.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Another thing- no matter how much I love Michelle's Catwoman in Batman Returns, Anne's in TDKR was the cat's whiskers.

Couldn't agree more.

Of course, none of them (Pfeiffer, Hathaway, Barbeau, ...) comes close to Julie Newmar. ;-)
    chrisisall wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.

Of course, none of them (Pfeiffer, Hathaway, Barbeau, ...) comes close to Julie Newmar. ;-)
    Well yeah, because Julie Newmar...
    ;)
    Catwoman came today. Now they are a pair. Yeah, I'm just a big kid.
    peNQM1k.jpg
    Love it also off topic but what was your thoughts on Indiana Jones and the dinosaur eggs I thought it was kind of cool
    Max is a pretty good writer IMO.
    Batman upgrade:
    yzHMicG.jpg
    Happy Batman Day!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    michael-keaton-batman-christian-bale-ben-affleck-response.gif?fit=500%2C281&quality=100&ssl=1

DnIZCPMX0AEeup5.jpg
  • Yes, Happy Batman Day everyone!

funny-picture-batman-job-dress.jpg
    Yes, Happy Batman Day everyone!

funny-picture-batman-job-dress.jpg

:))