Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    @Creasy47 Glad you were able to check out The house that Jack built. Easily my favorite film of 2018. Can’t say I’ve seen anything like it.

Hereditary

Didn’t care for it. Didn’t scare me much, didn’t make sense, seemed pretentious, seemed like a ripoff of rosemarys baby and killing of a sacred deer. Some good moments and a great overall feeling but the pieces were fundamentally missing

3/10
    Alien 3 (1992). This was a really mixed bag of a film. Obviously, it is weaker than the first two, but it is also a little better than I expected (having heard mostly bad things going in). It has some good characters and some bold moves, which one can argue do or don’t pay off, and while much of the film’s execution is questionable, it did hold my interest almost all the way.
    Birdbox (2018)

Great potential but rather a let down. As with many sc-fi movies, the ending was pretty poor.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    patb wrote: »
    Birdbox (2018)

Great potential but rather a let down. As with many sc-fi movies, the ending was pretty poor.

I watched it over the New Year break and expected alot more. I didn't mind the ending as it was sorta like a poor man's M. Night esque ending. I would like to have seen
    How the whole thing escalated or a way to rid of the wind demons all together.
    My first movies of 2019 are ;

Fistful of Dollars
    Hitch
    For a Few Dollars More
    Solo - A Star Wars Story (had to give this one a second chance)
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

So, Minus 2 movies, my year started with Eastwood - Leone collaborations and with three of my all time favorite spaghetti westers. I like it. I like it A LOT!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,730
    The Favourite

This film was fantastic. Best performances of the year, excellent cinematography, excellent production design, music, costumes, make up, and above all, it had the best screen play of this year by a mile. If you like period pieces, satires, or good dramas, this is a must see

9/10
    The Favourite is indeed very good, and it makes other period films look stilted and stuffy. That said, Queen Anne was a more stoic, religious, and capable monarch than the she was in this film, which also ignored the fact that she was happily married and probably not a lesbian.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,747
    The Most Dangerous Game (1932) and Bride of Frankenstein.

Good fun. Leslie Banks was quite terrific in the former, as was Thesiger in the latter.

Edit: the maid in Bride was alright comic relief at first, but grew annoying. The drunk guy in Game was a bit better. Plus
    he died so any annoyance he might have caused had a payoff.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Didn't that one form the basis of Hard Target, @mattjoes?
    Didn't that one form the basis of Hard Target, @mattjoes?

It did, @ClarkDevlin. Or the short story it was based on, anyway.

It also inspired the jungle chase in OP.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2019 Posts: 40,492
    Thief (1981)

I never tire of Mann's first film as a director, and this one has no business being as great as it is, but it manages it with precision. It's a wonderful crime caper elevated by the neon-drenched, rain-soaked streets of Los Angeles and the unforgettable score by Tangerine Dream. In between this, Heat and Public Enemies, Mann knows what he's doing when it comes to a proper robbery sequence.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Thief (1981)

I never tire of Mann's first film as a director, and this one has no business being as great as it is, but it manages it with precision. It's a wonderful crime caper elevated by the neon-drenched, rain-soaked streets of Los Angeles and the unforgettable score by Tangerine Dream. In between this, Heat and Public Enemies, Mann knows what he's doing when it comes to a proper robbery sequence.

Manhunter and Heat will always be my favourites, but this was a pretty good movie.
    Seven (1995). A great film, and a much more proper debut for David Fincher than Alien 3. The cast/acting, story, atmosphere are all top notch. It’s very easy to get immersed into this film, and I consider it a modern classic.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. Alien 3
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    edited January 2019 Posts: 3,985
    Thief (1981)

Love Thief

Brilliant crime thriller with all of Mann's traits that have appeared in all his movies since. James Caan is just superb in this. Also good is a young James Belushi.
    Another vote for Thief, often overlooked, a hidden gem.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    Another vote for Thief, often overlooked, a hidden gem.

Make it three fellas. James Caan was a legit bad ass.
    Glad you boys seemed to enjoy it as much as I do. Caan is THE definition of cool and calculated in this, and I feel like a lot of motifs and some bits of dialogue made their way into Heat, which is my favorite of Mann's.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,400
    Dark Crystal 4K this is a visual treat, it's a bizzare one of a kind film that showcases Jim Hensons genius.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Glad you boys seemed to enjoy it as much as I do. Caan is THE definition of cool and calculated in this, and I feel like a lot of motifs and some bits of dialogue made their way into Heat, which is my favorite of Mann's.

I agree with you, sir... a lot of Mann's work here gets re-visited in his best work later on.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    peter wrote: »

I agree with you, sir... a lot of Mann's work here gets re-visited in his best work later on.

I recently rewatched THIEF for the first time in many years and it holds up very well. Very slick, very economical storytelling with a very cool Caan leading it all. An underappreciated entry in a fine filmography.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Bird Box several friends recommended this film to me, I don't get the hype it's awful.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 12,273
    The Game (1997). I really enjoy this film. I saw it somewhat recently, but still loved rewatching it again for my Fincher marathon. It’s very entertaining and features a great journey for the protagonist. It’s a second straight big hit from Fincher in the early days - about par with Seven for pure enjoyment level. Both are must-sees.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Alien 3
  • How can you guys talk about THIEF and not mention Robert Prosky!!?? Pure evil personified, made all the more frightening because the guy is basically like a grandpa to Caan and his family. He’s like Santa Claus and Satan rolled into one.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Bird Box several friends recommended this film to me, I don't get the hype it's awful.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Isn't that the case with most Netflix movies these days? I remember Annihilation being suggested to me by two colleagues as twice Arrival and three times 2001. I watched the film that very same night. The next day, I told my two colleagues that they neither understood film in general nor Arrivial and 2001 in particular; that Annihilation is decent enough but hardly a revelatory experience for those of us who are trained in hard sci-fi; and that they should probably stick to Netflix movies since the likes of Arrival and 2001 are clearly above their intellectual capacities.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    The Empire Strikes Back

One of the greatest fantasy films ever made in my opinion. The best Star Wars film by a mile. A film that built on the first film but being a completely different kettle of fish.

The imagination on show here is just breathtaking. Those giant AT-AT walkers never fail to impress and that entire battle is incredibly well done. To go from that straight into the Asteroid chase is just genius. The film doesn't let you catch your breath until the Dagobah scenes.

Splitting the main characters up works well and the way Vader's plan all comes together at Cloud City is well plotted. The double climax of Leia, Chewie and Lando escaping Cloud City and Luke's battle with Vader is just intense. And that plot twist/reveal still sends a shiver down this viewers spine.

This is a more mature and intelligent Star Wars film and Lucas had the guts to move the story in a progressive direction instead of just repeating the formula of the first film. Something he tragically did with ROTJ. A film so full of bad ideas and silliness I can barely watch it anymore.

But then it just reinforces just how good Empire really is. A film I never tire of experiencing.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    I'd never even heard of this film before, so thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'll be sure to check it out shortly.
    --
    FoxRox wrote: »
    The Game (1997). I really enjoy this film. I saw it somewhat recently, but still loved rewatching it again for my Fincher marathon. It’s very entertaining and features a great journey for the protagonist. It’s a second straight big hit from Fincher in the early days - about par with Seven for pure enjoyment level. Both are must-sees.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Alien 3
    Seven and The Game are outstanding films. I can never tire of them. I don't like Alien 3 though. I realize the film has its fans but I think it was a major come down from the first two. I agree with you that the first one is by far the best as well. It holds up really well even today.
    --
    I didn't mind it personally, but agree that it is severely overhyped. Bullock is excellent in it and the actress who plays her daughter punched above her age. Not a bad way to spend a few hours.
    --
    The Empire Strikes Back

One of the greatest fantasy films ever made in my opinion. The best Star Wars film by a mile. A film that built on the first film but being a completely different kettle of fish.

The imagination on show here is just breathtaking. Those giant AT-AT walkers never fail to impress and that entire battle is incredibly well done. To go from that straight into the Asteroid chase is just genius. The film doesn't let you catch your breath until the Dagobah scenes.

Splitting the main characters up works well and the way Vader's plan all comes together at Cloud City is well plotted. The double climax of Leia, Chewie and Lando escaping Cloud City and Luke's battle with Vader is just intense. And that plot twist/reveal still sends a shiver down this viewers spine.

This is a more mature and intelligent Star Wars film and Lucas had the guts to move the story in a progressive direction instead of just repeating the formula of the first film. Something he tragically did with ROTJ. A film so full of bad ideas and silliness I can barely watch it anymore.

But then it just reinforces just how good Empire really is. A film I never tire of experiencing.
    I agree. It's easily the best SW film for me too. You're right that it was a brave move to go in this direction, especially as a follow up to a phenomenon. I never thought about it that way. The public's expectations must have been off the charts for this and I'm sure many may have been disappointed at the time.
    --

Face/Off (1997)
    OUSTYzd.jpg
    I came across this mid 90's John Woo thriller on the telly and had a blast. It's been ages since I've seen it. Woo's trademark cheesiness is on display here, but so is his expertise in crafting the action sequences, which are excellent. The premise is ridiculous (face swapping to prevent a crime, hence the name) but somehow it all works, thanks to the incredible scene chewing skills of John Travolta and Nicholas Cage. You can't cast any better than these two if you want overacting combined with magnetic screen charisma, and they both deliver to the hilt. The film sort of feels Asian (Indian or Chinese) to me due to the melodrama that infiltrates it from time to time, but it's very entertaining nevertheless. I'd say it also has a bit of 80's flavour in it, despite being made a decade later. Finally, it also reminds me of the Bruckheimer/Bay films of that era. It's a case of a film being so bad that it's good.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Alien 3 (1992). This was a really mixed bag of a film. Obviously, it is weaker than the first two, but it is also a little better than I expected (having heard mostly bad things going in). It has some good characters and some bold moves, which one can argue do or don’t pay off, and while much of the film’s execution is questionable, it did hold my interest almost all

The history behind it, when director Vincent Ward was going to helm it, is more interesting than the finished movie!
    Fincher went on to better things after this!
    How can you guys talk about THIEF and not mention Robert Prosky!!?? Pure evil personified, made all the more frightening because the guy is basically like a grandpa to Caan and his family. He’s like Santa Claus and Satan rolled into one.

It was his first official film role, too, I believe, and he really knocks it out of the park. He's completely evil and narcissistic in this one.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    I've received tickets for a big screen showing of a restored copy of Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, next Friday (January 4th)! Really excited, as in the next few months they'll do the same near me for Full Metal Jacket, Back to the Future and The Shining.

The showing for E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) was tonight, finally. I really loved it. I was 10 or 11 years old the last time I saw this film, so I didn't remember the entire of it, but I had the same sense of wonder and awe at the magic of Spielberg, despite a more adult understanding of the film as I am closing in on being 30 years old now. One thing that particularly hit me was John Williams' score, IMO one of his that I don't listen to a lot, and after tonight I should rectify this error of mine.

My local cinema has already offered me tickets for their next special showing, which will be a restored copy of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket (1987). Its a film I've been meaning to watch for years, so I can't believe I'll be able to discover it on the big screen in a few weeks time.
    How can you guys talk about THIEF and not mention Robert Prosky!!?? Pure evil personified, made all the more frightening because the guy is basically like a grandpa to Caan and his family. He’s like Santa Claus and Satan rolled into one.

Absolutely right. I love how Caan and him are kidding around in the bar after Prosky promises to help Caan with the child, as if they were the best of friends. And later in the film Prosky is delivering that sinister speech to Caan lying on the ground. Santa Claus and Satan rolled into one indeed.