Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    bondjames wrote: »
    mattjoes wrote: »
    Regarding Jack Warden, you might be thinking of ...And Justice for All.
    I haven't seen that one. It just came to me a few minutes ago - it's Guilty As Sin, which is also a Lumet directed film. Warden plays a very similar character.
    Oh, I see. In fact I now realize I was looking up that film about a month ago. I haven't seen but know how it ends!

Edit: My experience has been somewhat mixed with Sidney Lumet-directed films. This is very good, as is The Hill. But The Anderson Tapes is just okay, and Network is a grating film.
    I'm not altogether familiar with his output and haven't seen The Hill or The Anderson Tapes. I did like Network a lot although the characters are very ambitious. Murder On The Orient Express is one of my favourite films from the 70s and I also really like Deathtrap, which was also released in 1982.
    Oh, I forgot those two! That tilts the scale towards "positive" then. I liked Murder and loved Deathtrap. In my opinion the latter is much better than its sibling film, Sleuth '72. Christopher Reeve is terrific in it.

Network has an interesting subject matter and story, but the characters are irritating to me. However I don't think irritating characters are necessarily a problem in a film. Here, however, they take me out of the film somehow. It's as if I'm not given enough of an excuse to want to watch them, annoying as they might be.

Lumet's Q&A looks interesting too.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Regarding Jack Warden, you might be thinking of ...And Justice for All.
    I haven't seen that one. It just came to me a few minutes ago - it's Guilty As Sin, which is also a Lumet directed film. Warden plays a very similar character.
    Oh, I see. In fact I now realize I was looking up that film about a month ago. I haven't seen but know how it ends!
    I always thought that film was a bit of a Jagged Edge rip off in the past, but having seen The Verdict, I suppose Lumet was also channeling a bit of his prior work in it. Not a bad thriller, but quite predictable and hammy.
    Edit: My experience has been somewhat mixed with Sidney Lumet-directed films. This is very good, as is The Hill. But The Anderson Tapes is just okay, and Network is a grating film.
    I'm not altogether familiar with his output and haven't seen The Hill or The Anderson Tapes. I did like Network a lot although the characters are very ambitious. Murder On The Orient Express is one of my favourite films from the 70s and I also really like Deathtrap, which was also released in 1982.
    Oh, I forgot those two! That tilts the scale towards "positive" then. I liked Murder and loved Deathtrap. In my opinion the latter is much better than its sibling film, Sleuth '72. Christopher Reeve is terrific in it.

Network has an interesting subject matter and story, but the characters are irritating to me. However I don't think irritating characters are necessarily a problem in a film. Here, however, they take me out of the film somehow. It's as if I'm not given enough of an excuse to want to watch them, annoying as they might be.

Lumet's Q&A looks interesting too.
    Yes, Reeve was superb, as was Caine. I came across Sleuth on tv a few years back and was surprised that it seemed similar to Deathtrap with Caine in a leading role too. I didn't see it fully because I had to step out for the evening and have always meant to get to it again. Thanks for mentioning Q&A. I did a quick google search and it may be worth a viewing.

I know exactly what you mean re: the characters in Network. There isn't too much to like about them except Max. The main drawing point for me is how it foresaw to a degree the polarized and exaggerated profit driven media landscape we have now, where viewer's emotions are manipulated for ratings.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 12,284
    Fight Club (1999). I really like this film! It has a lot of great dark humor and intense acting moments. Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and Helena Bonham Carter are all excellent. I hate to rank it so low for the time being, but I do slightly prefer my Top 2 picks. So far though, almost all excellent films, save for Alien 3. My first full watch of Panic Room is up next.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Alien 3
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Fight Club (1999). I really like this film! It has a lot of great dark humor and intense acting moments. Brad Pitt, Edward Norton, and Helena Bonham Carter are all excellent. I hate to rank it so low for the time being, but I do slightly prefer my Top 2 picks. So far though, almost all excellent films, save for Alien 3. My first full watch of Panic Room is up next.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Alien 3

Great movie. Love Brad Pitt in it.
    Remington wrote: »

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Alien 3

Same. It’s my favorite performance from him. Don’t imagine anyone else could have pulled it off as well.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Alien 3

Same. It’s my favorite performance from him. Don’t imagine anyone else could have pulled it off as well.

I think my favorite performance of his was in Kalifornia but this is a close second.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,333
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @Torgeirtrap, that's a great idea. I rewatched North by Northwest in the last year or so, but it's been ages since I last saw To Catch A Thief, so I'll have to bump that one up the list.

It's been a year and a half since I watched a Hitchcock film (if I remember correctly), so it's about time to get back to watching a few. Can't do better than a Cary Grant marathon then!

(I do like everything Hitch made with James Stewart too, but that's another marathon.)
    Charade

This is one of those films that no matter how long it's been since I last saw it, I somehow forget JUST how great it is until I watch it again, and this viewing was no exception. Equal parts funny and exciting, this thrilling and twisty noir mystery with a brilliant cast that almost feels like a long lost Hitchcock film is always a pleasure to watch. Again, the twists make for a real proper mystery, going down every 15 or 20 minutes to constantly shake up what you think is really going on.

Also, a little detail I picked up on this time that I loved: when Dyle and Reggie are on the boat, despite it obviously all being rear projection/green screen, their voices become echoed when you see them passing underneath a bridge and through a tunnel. I love this film.

Great movie. The Henry Mancini score is superb, particularly when used in the foot chase finale!
    Have you seen 'Arabesque'?
    It's in a similar vein, with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren, with again Stanley Donen helming. Not as good as Charade, but enjoyable!
    Mary Poppins Returns : I loved it very much. In fact, it was practically perfect in every way : the cast, the musical numbers (from the raucuous "A Cover is not a Book" to "The Place Where Lost Things Go" which put a few tears in my eyes), to the references to the classic movie (Dick Van Dyke still has it !). Practically perfect in every way. Plus : 2D animation !!! I really missed that in recent years.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Charade

This is one of those films that no matter how long it's been since I last saw it, I somehow forget JUST how great it is until I watch it again, and this viewing was no exception. Equal parts funny and exciting, this thrilling and twisty noir mystery with a brilliant cast that almost feels like a long lost Hitchcock film is always a pleasure to watch. Again, the twists make for a real proper mystery, going down every 15 or 20 minutes to constantly shake up what you think is really going on.

Also, a little detail I picked up on this time that I loved: when Dyle and Reggie are on the boat, despite it obviously all being rear projection/green screen, their voices become echoed when you see them passing underneath a bridge and through a tunnel. I love this film.

Great movie. The Henry Mancini score is superb, particularly when used in the foot chase finale!
    It's in a similar vein, with Gregory Peck and Sophia Loren, with again Stanley Donen helming. Not as good as Charade, but enjoyable!
    Arabesque is pretty amusing. You're right that's it's not up to the same level but it's a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Loren is magnetic in it.
    Charade

Arabesque is pretty amusing. You're right that's it's not up to the same level but it's a fun way to spend a couple of hours. Loren is magnetic in it.

Really need to watch Arabesque again. It's probably been ten years since the last time, but I remember it being quite entertaining.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Charade

I've not seen it sadly, but I'll have to add it to the list with such a cast and crew like that.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Alien 3

Brad Pitt and Edward Norton comment on the DVD commentary that it will probably be the best film they'll ever be in.
    Charade

I've not seen it sadly, but I'll have to add it to the list with such a cast and crew like that.

Whatever you do, do not miss the shower scene ;)
    Panic Room (2002). Yet another hit from Fincher. I had seen bits and pieces of the film before, but never the whole thing. It had great acting and suspense the whole way! It wowed me a little less than Fincher’s previous three films, but it’s still pretty darn good. Definitely 4 for 5 so far in success.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Seven
    2. The Game
    3. Fight Club
    4. Panic Room
    5. Alien 3
    Wild at Heart (1990). Whoa. You can tell David Lynch directed this lol. Weird but entertaining.
    Wild at Heart (1990). Whoa. You can tell David Lynch directed this lol. Weird but entertaining.

Love the performances in this. Nicholas Cage doing a mental Elvis, Laura Dern is really sexy as Lula, Willem Dafoe is seriously nasty as Bobby Peru and Diane Ladd outdoes everyone as the unhinged Marietta.

Cool film with an even cooler soundtrack.

Love the performances in this. Nicholas Cage doing a mental Elvis, Laura Dern is really sexy as Lula, Willem Dafoe is seriously nasty as Bobby Peru and Diane Ladd outdoes everyone as the unhinged Marietta.

Its weird that the only things I remember from this film is Nicolas Cages jacket...and Willem Dafoes unfortunate encounter...with a shotgun!!

Its weird that the only things I remember from this film is Nicolas Cages jacket...and Willem Dafoes unfortunate encounter...with a shotgun!!

Well they are the more memorable things!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,153
    2001, a Space Odessey

(First viewing)

I enjoyed the opening with the apes, that was very effective. I enjoyed the mission to Jupiter, a sort of B movie plot with a crazy killer robot. But the rest of the movie didn't really have a reason to be there, I felt. There are lots of great visuals and futuristic camera tricks, to simulate no gravity, but theres a lot of discussion and not a lot of action. Plenty of build up, without satisfying payoff.

Neat visuals and music, light on story.

6/10.

*EDIT*

I did find a plot hole on my viewing. HAL is apparently able to control the Pods they fly around in, as he uses one to kill one of the astronauts, yet he is unable to take control of the one Dave is piloting for some reason.

*EDIT*

I did find a plot hole on my viewing. HAL is apparently able to control the Pods they fly around in, as he uses one to kill one of the astronauts, yet he is unable to take control of the one Dave is piloting for some reason.

The first one was on autopilot, thus easy to control. The second was on manual, thus cut off from its influence. Easy solve.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,153
    Gerard wrote: »

*EDIT*

The first one was on autopilot, thus easy to control. The second was on manual, thus cut off from its influence. Easy solve.

They definitely should have made mention of that in the movie. I thought it was way too easy how he outsmarts such a state of the art robot.
    Bought, among other things, the complete DVD set of the Sherlock Holmes movies starring Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce. So I decided this evening to watch The Hound of the Baskervilles. Good movie, even if one character was changed from the book. But I prefer the Hammer version, with Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee. Note that my copy has kept the infamous last line, censored in the United States. Next : The Adventures of Sherock Holmes.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 2,896
    I don't think the last line is censored anymore. It's retained in the MPI DVD/Blu-Rays of the Rathbone The Hound of the Baskervilles. The Hammer version actually monkeys more with the book and its characters. And despite being a Hammer film, it's not as spooky as it should be. For those reasons, I prefer the Rathbone film, which is more atmospheric.

Perhaps the most atmospheric version of The Hound is probably the 1929 silent Der Hund Von Baskerville, which was filmed in German Expressionist-Gothic style.
    Zodiac (2007). Masterpiece. Love everything about this film, and I think it’s Fincher’s most impressive achievement.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Zodiac
    2. Seven
    3. The Game
    4. Fight Club
    5. Panic Room
    6. Alien 3
    Pacific Rim "Uprising".

Got a thing for big robots it appears a the minute! Lol! Good fun but certainly would not watch it again.
    The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008). I've seen people gripe about this film being too "Oscar-baity" or overly sentimental, but on a personal level I was bowled over by it. Despite the fantasy aspect of the reverse aging, much of the story spoke to me on a personal level and it was a hard emotional punch to take at times. Certainly the most of an outlier to David Fincher's other films, but in the best way possible. Great story and acting, and another big success from Fincher for me.

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Zodiac
    2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    3. Seven
    4. The Game
    5. Fight Club
    6. Panic Room
    7. Alien 3
    The Social Network (2010). Pretty good film here - quite different from the last Fincher film I just saw! Fincher proves again he has great versatility and delivers another solid movie. Doesn't quite rank among my favorites from the director, but I'm still quite happy with it. Just two more to go now. I've been having a blast with his filmography!

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Zodiac
    3. Seven
    4. The Game
    5. Fight Club
    6. The Social Network
    7. Panic Room
    8. Alien 3
    The Social Network (2010). Pretty good film here - quite different from the last Fincher film I just saw! Fincher proves again he has great versatility and delivers another solid movie. Doesn't quite rank among my favorites from the director, but I'm still quite happy with it. Just two more to go now. I've been having a blast with his filmography!

David Fincher Ranking:
    1. Zodiac
    3. Seven
    4. The Game
    5. Fight Club
    6. The Social Network
    7. Panic Room
    8. Alien 3

David Fincher is one my favourite directors. I specially like his suspense movies. Only Fincher movie i don't like is Alien 3.
    My ranking of his work would be like this:

1. Seven
    2. Gone Girl
    3. The Social Network
    4. Fight Club
    5. Zoodiac
    6. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
    7. The Game
    8. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    9. Panic Room
    10. Alien 3