Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    Halloween 5:The Revenge of Michael Myers. One of two films, along with the fourth one, that got me into the Halloween series. Lot of nostalgia.

It has its flaws but this movie is so overly criticized. It has a great Michael Myers, Donald Pleasance has gone off the deep end and I love it, Danielle Harris is great as always, the score is haunting, the cinematography is top notch, and there's some extremely tense scenes like the car chase and laundry chute scene. The character of Tina is hated but I've always liked her for some reason.

Only things I'm not fond of are the mask, the obviously different Myers house, the music cue that plays when the cops are onscreen, and the opening with the hermit.

8/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The Magnificent Ambersons

It was enjoyable enough, with a great cast to boot, but I can't help but feel like there was a much, much better film underneath all of this, had Welles been given the opportunity to craft and release the film he wanted, not what the studio was after. Over an hour of footage was lost, which not only extends the runtime, but apparently tweaks the whole feel (and ending) of the film, which is a damn shame. What could've been.
  • Remington wrote: »
    Halloween 5:The Revenge of Michael Myers. One of two films, along with the fourth one, that got me into the Halloween series. Lot of nostalgia.

It has its flaws but this movie is so overly criticized. It has a great Michael Myers, Donald Pleasance has gone off the deep end and I love it, Danielle Harris is great as always, the score is haunting, the cinematography is top notch, and there's some extremely tense scenes like the car chase and laundry chute scene. The character of Tina is hated but I've always liked her for some reason.

Only things I'm not fond of are the mask, the obviously different Myers house, the music cue that plays when the cops are onscreen, and the opening with the hermit.

8/10

BIG Halloween fan here. I have a bit of a soft spot for 5, even though it pissed away the epic ending to part 4....
    Remington wrote: »

8/10

BIG Halloween fan here. I have a bit of a soft spot for 5, even though it pissed away the epic ending to part 4....

I had no desire to see Jamie as a killer so that didn't bother me too much lol.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NOSFERATU A VENEZIA
    MV5BZDNiMWFlZTYtMmRmNS00YTVkLWJmOTctZWNjZmQxMDdhYWRmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjUyNDk2ODc@._V1_SY1000_SX1000_AL_.jpg
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Prince of Darkness (1987)

In my opinion John Carpenter's best film post The Thing.

A barmy script involving physics students, a canister of swirling green liquid, mind controlled homeless vagrants and the return of Satan!

It's a typically tense siege situation Carpenter excels at, and as the students succumb on by one to the evil liquid and escape from the desecrated church seems impossible the tension mounts to a hypnotic pitch. With the climax featuring some of Carpenter's finest ever imagery. The shot of the demonic claw emerging from the mirror is unforgettable.

Carpenter also provides the excellent relentless score. This underrated gem got pretty negative reviews when it was released but I think it stands up well after all this time.

If you've never seen it you could do a lot worse.
    Both NOSFERATU A VENEZIA and PRINCE OF DARKNESS feature Donald Pleasence as a priest.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @LeonardPine
    I completely agree with you.
    Carpenter once again displays a lot of love for Lovecraftian horror, blending cosmic mysteries with traditional gore, not unlike in his masterpiece THE THING. The score keeps pulsating throughout the film, never giving in, never letting go. Alice Cooper as a "zombie"? Love it!

The negative reviews? Look, HALLOWEEN got negative buzz from film critics at first. THE THING was beaten with sticks like a mad dog. PRINCE OF DARKNESS was met with frowned eyebrows. You know what we can deduce from that? Many film critics are intellectually lazy sourpusses who are so in love with their own self-aggrandizing reviews of other people's efforts, they completely fail to notice brilliance when it's staring them in the face!

Carpenter knows that a lot of good people revere his films. I, for one, have sat through all his films many times and I must say, I have yet to see a truly poor Carpenter film! Even some of his lesser efforts aren't all that bad. PRINCE OF DARKNESS, in any case, is a winner!
    I found THE THING to be forgettable, but I loved PRINCE OF DARKNESS.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Halloween (2018)

After all these years, Michael's finally back. I thought it was a more than serviceable entry in the long running series, utilizing a great script by Green and McBride and an insanely good return to form from John Carpenter to make things feel as fresh as they feel familiar. My only issues were an unnecessary twist about 3/4 of the way through the film, and it all feels very light on scares/chills and heavy on the brutality - not as much as the Zombie installments, but still unnecessarily so. I look forward to the inevitable sequel of this one.
    The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)
    Even though I'm a fan of 70's cinema, I've never seen this one before tonight – and it sure delivered! This was a no-nonsense thrilling ride from start to finish, with a dash of humorous elements throughout. Great performances all around, with Robert Shaw again playing a baddie traveling by public transport. A really nice score on top of this as well. What more do you want?

I give this one 8/10 easily, and will probably watch it again soon!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Even though I'm a fan of 70's cinema, I've never seen this one before tonight – and it sure delivered! This was a no-nonsense thrilling ride from start to finish, with a dash of humorous elements throughout. Great performances all around, with Robert Shaw again playing a baddie traveling by public transport. A really nice score on top of this as well. What more do you want?

Thanks for this. I've seen the remake with Denzel and Travolta and really liked it, but have never seen the original. I'll be sure to seek it out now.
    Our Souls at Night
    The Old Man & the Gun

Robert Redford is still The Man. Brilliant performances. Perfect films.
    Halloween 6:The Curse of Michael Myers - the Producers Cut. This is the version I consider canon. I think the ending of the theatrical cut is more exciting but it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. When it comes to Halloween, I prefer suspense and atmosphere over a ton of blood and gore which is what the theatrical cut was. Therefore, I prefer this version. I'm a pretty big fan of the Thorn trilogy even though a lot of fans hate that angle. Understandable but it beats the white trash aspect of Zombie's Halloween.

This movie has a lot of things going for it. With the exception of the Rob Zombie films, this is Michael at his most brutal and scary. George P. Wilbur, while a little chubby at this point, is terrific. Donald Pleasence gives one of his best performances as Loomis, Paul Rudd, while over the top, shows promise as Tommy Doyle, and I absolutely love Marianne Hagen as Kara Strode. To top it off, it has possibly the best Halloween atmosphere of the series, callbacks to the earlier films, a good minimalist score, beautiful cinematography, and the entire sequence at the Myers before the climax is great. The film moves at a slow pace, reminiscent of the first film.

I have three problems with it. The first is Mitch Ryan as Wynn. He's not terrible but he's pretty hokey. I found out that this role was meant for Christopher Lee...holy shit what could've been. Pleasence and Lee. Two Bond villains in a Halloween film? Yes please. He could have made those lines work.

The second is the recasting of Jamie Lloyd. Jamie is my second favorite character of the series and I think it's a crime that the studio refused to pay Danielle Harris the 5K she wanted. Oh come on. If it was my first movie, I'd ask for at least twice that.

The third is the climax. The ritual scene looks good on paper but it comes off very made for TV. And don't get me started on the way Tommy stops Michael. I do like the actual ending though.

I think if Christopher Lee played Wynn, Danielle Harris returned, and the climax been better, this could have been the best sequel so far.

8.5/10
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Bird Box several friends recommended this film to me, I don't get the hype it's awful.

@Fire_and_Ice_Returns
    Isn't that the case with most Netflix movies these days? I remember Annihilation being suggested to me by two colleagues as twice Arrival and three times 2001. I watched the film that very same night. The next day, I told my two colleagues that they neither understood film in general nor Arrivial and 2001 in particular; that Annihilation is decent enough but hardly a revelatory experience for those of us who are trained in hard sci-fi; and that they should probably stick to Netflix movies since the likes of Arrival and 2001 are clearly above their intellectual capacities.

There is indeed a chasm regarding quality with Netflix films and genuinely good Sci Fi cinema.

@bondjames I just felt Bird Box was TV movie standard, it certainly looked it in 4K. Many of the idea's were half baked. Admittedly I am not a fan of Bullock as an actress, Bullock irritated me in Gravity also. Generally I felt the performances from the actors in Bird Box not particularly good, the film felt like a diversity tick box.

Great movie I often listen to the awesome soundtrack.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Fair enough @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, and I can understand that. I thought it was quite overhyped but perhaps despite this my expectations were reasonably low as it was a Netflix film - so I enjoyed it well enough. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone though.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,395
    bondjames wrote: »
    Fair enough @Fire_and_Ice_Returns, and I can understand that. I thought it was quite overhyped but perhaps despite this my expectations were reasonably low as it was a Netflix film - so I enjoyed it well enough. I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it to anyone though.

It had the germination of some good ideas I am perhaps being too harsh on it, I watched it early hours. I think TV and Film in today's world is often over hyped and the quality bar is lower than it once was, I am probably getting old lol and have seen too many genuinely great films and TV.
  • Remington wrote: »
    Halloween 6:The Curse of Michael Myers - the Producers Cut.

Christopher Lee as Dr Wynn, hell yes. I’ve said that for years!

The most frustrating thing about Halloween 6 is the Thorn cult, and how it literally ruins all the previous movies; we’re supposed to take a step back and think ‘so he killed his sister in the first movie because he was controlled by Thorn, ok! All these years we thought he was just crazy.... nope, all Thorn.’ What BS.
    It would have been so much better if Thorn was just in this movie, like not responsible for Michael’s origin, but rather just a cult that tried to control him.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,297
    bondjames wrote: »

Thanks for this. I've seen the remake with Denzel and Travolta and really liked it, but have never seen the original. I'll be sure to seek it out now.

Never seen the Denzel and Travolta one (there's a 1998 remake too, apparently). It's strange really, as me and a few friends were planning on going to the cinema to watch it back in 2009, but the plans got cancelled, and I've never come as far as watching it since. Will probably have to give it a watch sometime soon.
    Great movie I often listen to the awesome soundtrack.
    Me too! I've listened to some of it over the years, but only got around to watching the film tonight.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,533

The most frustrating thing about Halloween 6 is the Thorn cult, and how it literally ruins all the previous movies; we’re supposed to take a step back and think ‘so he killed his sister in the first movie because he was controlled by Thorn, ok! All these years we thought he was just crazy.... nope, all Thorn.’ What BS.
    It would have been so much better if Thorn was just in this movie, like not responsible for Michael’s origin, but rather just a cult that tried to control him.

@Master_Dahark According to Daniel Farrands, the writer, Michael wasn't really controlled by the cult. He was mainly using them to his advantage. There might be a curse but he's just as evil without it, as shown at the ends of both cuts.

Lol I've actually considered getting a Thorn tattoo on my wrist. Just a really cool symbol.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

I really despised these supernatural elements. Not because of their concept, but how they were handled. H5 and H6 are simply awful films, I think. There's a few cool kills littered here and there, but it was drawn out so badly that it didn't matter. A lot of people talk of 2018's Myers or Zombie's Myers not being the 'real Michael Myers' but they're leagues above the Myers presented in these films. He was reduced to a gag or a pawn, rather than a force of nature.

As you say, anytime a film has a twist where the antagonist is revealed as a mere footsoldier or henchmen, it's diluted.

I really despised these supernatural elements. Not because of their concept, but how they were handled. H5 and H6 are simply awful films, I think. There's a few cool kills littered here and there, but it was drawn out so badly that it didn't matter. A lot of people talk of 2018's Myers or Zombie's Myers not being the 'real Michael Myers' but they're leagues above the Myers presented in these films. He was reduced to a gag or a pawn, rather than a force of nature.

As you say, anytime a film has a twist where the antagonist is revealed as a mere footsoldier or henchmen, it's diluted.

Lol I think gag/pawn is a bit of a stretch.
  • I wish that scene, along with the asshole dads head exploding, were inserted into the Producers Cut....
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,040

Not really. As I said, some neat kills. That's a cool scene with nice cinematography, especially. But Myers is still reduced to a supernatural meathead under the control of a cult. He's less intimidating when you know he's not really thinking for himself. By that point of the story I'd already checked out.

I appreciate that you enjoy it and each to their own, but the clip above actually proves my point for me. It just ain't for me.
    I wish that scene, along with the asshole dads head exploding, were inserted into the Producers Cut....

Agreed. Like some have said, the best version of H6 is a combination of both cuts. I'd also insert "And Fools Shine On" into the movie. Love that song.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,533

Not really. As I said, some neat kills. That's a cool scene with nice cinematography, especially. But Myers is still reduced to a supernatural meathead under the control of a cult. He's less intimidating when you know he's not really thinking for himself. By that point of the story I'd already checked out.

I appreciate that you enjoy it and each to their own, but the clip above actually proves my point for me. It just ain't for me.

He's actually killing the cult though. Lol not really worth arguing about. At the end of the day, they're just movies. Respect to you.

He's actually killing the cult though. Lol not really worth arguing about. At the end of the day, they're just movies. Respect to you.

Respect to you, too @Remington. I'd still rather watch it than have to sit through Resurrection ever again, lol.

• You know I actually watched Resurrection not too long ago, and if there’s one positive thing to say about it, it’s this: the dude playing Michael Myers was good. I wish he did H2O in fact.

Ok maybe a second thing I liked: I thought it was so cool how he handed his knife to that mental patient after killing Laurie. And then he just goes home like ‘I’m all done now’. If only the movie ended right there.....
    You know I actually watched Resurrection not too long ago, and if there’s one positive thing to say about it, it’s this: the dude playing Michael Myers was good. I wish he did H2O in fact.

Ok maybe a second thing I liked: I thought it was so cool how he handed his knife to that mental patient after killing Laurie. And then he just goes home like ‘I’m all done now’. If only the movie ended right there.....

The opening was good. And as a former photographer turned filmmaker I do appreciate (maybe the wrong word to use?) that someone was killed with a tripod. Those things can be dangerous in the wrong hands!

Respect to you, too @Remington. I'd still rather watch it than have to sit through Resurrection ever again, lol.

Haha amen to that. Only positives I can think of for that one is the score and Brad Loree as Michael.