Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Mathis1 wrote: »
    American Animals (2018)

My favourite movie of the year so far. This was funny, exhilarating, dark, thoughtful, and most of all fresh.

So would you have preferred that director for Bond 25 than the one we have? As it nearly was!
    My favourite movie of the year too!

I would prefer even Boyle over this Fukunaga bloke! But yes, Layton would've been ideal. Oh well. :(

Was never happy with Boyle myself. Having just watched True Detective, I was impressed by Fukanagas direction, but not fully sold on the idea he is right for Bond
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,318
    American Animals (2018)

My favourite movie of the year so far. This was funny, exhilarating, dark, thoughtful, and most of all fresh.

So would you have preferred that director for Bond 25 than the one we have? As it nearly was!
    My favourite movie of the year too!

I would prefer even Boyle over this Fukunaga bloke! But yes, Layton would've been ideal. Oh well. :(

Was never happy with Boyle myself. Having just watched True Detective, I was impressed by Fukanagas direction, but not fully sold on the idea he is right for Bond

I like the idea of having Fukunaga directing, in that he's a up-and-coming director who's received acclaim for his projects. Still, I don't know what to expect, in the same way as I wouldn't know what to expect with Boyle.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    mattjoes wrote: »
    The Long Riders (1980)
    Continuing my viewing of Walter Hill movies (in between watching series one of True Detective)
    This was Hills first western. Another retelling of the Jesse James gang, the gimmick here is using real brothers to play the leads. James and Stacey Keach play the main roles, and David and Keith carradine the Younger brothers, plus Dennis and Randy Quaid in smaller roles. The Carradines come off the best, mainly David who is terrific as Cole (he has a great knife fight in a bar). Production standards are of Hills usual high standard, Ric Waite lensing (he worked with Hill again on 48 Hrs) and for the first of man y collaborations, Ry Cooder scores (Hill had to fight the studio to get him) and he does marvellous work. Not Hills best by far, but enjoyable. The finale, the infamous Northfield Minnesota raid, is brilliantly staged, with great sound effects.

I haven't seen the film, but I was jusy reading a bit about its production history. Interesting stuff.

Unfortunately Westerns were out of favour at the time, so it never got the BO it deserved. But it is a well-crafted movie and definitely worth anyone’s time.

The dark Passage (1947) - the third Bacall-Bogart movie and it is an interesting one, also experimenting the first third of the movie with an handheld camera being the first person, so you do not see any face of the main character until after the plastic surgery and then you see Bogarts' face. It works quite well in my opinion. Even if the studio must have been annoyed hiring a major actor and not seeing him on the screen for part of that movie.
    It is a decent enough noir movie but the combination of Lauren Bacall & Humphrey Bogart does deliver movie magic, by now they are married in real life, and you can see the spark and magic that is between them. Interesting camera shot in a satisfying b/w movie.

Beat the Devil (1953) - This was the last film Humphrey Bogart made with John Huston. With as the screenwriter Truman Capote who wrote the script while on the set, working two to three days ahead of the shooting schedule. The whole was shot at the Amalfi coast in Italy and thrown in for good measure was Gina Lollobrigida and a beautiful Jennifer Jones. Peter Lorre shows his face once more in a Bogart movie, even if his own career was impressive enough.
    A funny and camp movie that keeps you guessing what is going on. More the kind of movie Steven Soderbergh would make today. An enjoyable b/w movie that passes the time.
    "Margin Call" - needed reminding just what an outstanding film this is. From a first time write/director with an amazing cast overflowing with acting talent and enough great one liners to last a year of movie watching. Not for those who think SF was slow, this is "just" people talking. (some may find the clip long and boring) But if you like movies like "Glengarry" then you really should check this out.

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    patb wrote: »
    "Margin Call" - needed reminding just what an outstanding film this is. From a first time write/director with an amazing cast overflowing with acting talent and enough great one liners to last a year of movie watching. Not for those who think SF was slow, this is "just" people talking. (some may find the clip long and boring) But if you like movies like "Glengarry" then you really should check this out.

This is an exceptional film which very accurately depicts the kind of culture at these firms and how such motivations and behaviour could eventually lead to a crisis. The problem is nothing has really changed. Jeremy Irons in particular nails his character. I have met guys in these companies who are almost identical to him over the years. Extremely smart, cool under pressure and very good with assessing when to cut losses when things get out of hand.
    Queen of the Damned
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    SharkBait wrote: »
    Queen of the Damned

That was a lousy sequel, but Aaliyah was excellent.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 4,813
    Death Kiss- 2018

death_kiss.jpg

@Murdock you might want to read this one.

Here is that infamous 'Charles Bronson lookalike' movie I've been so excited about. It just showed up on Amazon today, and while I wanted a physical copy (DVD to be released in December) I couldn't wait, so I just rented it for 3 bucks.

This is a direct-to-video release with a tiny budget, which just happens to star a guy who looks a hell of a lot like Charles Bronson, so I took it for what it was, not expecting Spielberg or anything.

I will tell you- there is one fatal flaw in this movie that you just can't get past: the dude playing 'Charles Bronson', is DUBBED. BADLY dubbed.
    I got a hint of it in the trailer, but holy cow, is it bad. Not only does the voice not sound like it should be him, but it actually sounds dubbed, you know?? Like, him and another character could be having a conversation and the one guy sounds normal, but when 'Bronson' talks, the audio literally sounds like it doesn't belong.... like it was inserted over top the regular audio (because it was). It's insanely distracting and will take you completely out of the movie every time he opens his mouth.

I saw an interview on this very forum where I got to hear his real voice, and yes, you could tell English wasn't his first language, and yes, the whole movie was build solely on his resemblance to Charles Bronson, but I promise, the movie would have been way better if they just let the guy use his own voice.

Now, having said that, fortunately he has about as many lines as Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator, so that's a relief.

As for the movie itself, it's pretty bad, but awesomely bad! The musical score is all synthesizer too and it really feels like you're watching a 70's Bronson movie. It's also really bloody!

It was also kind of fun how this could very loosely be a sequel to Death Wish- this character has no name, but when pressed, (the woman says something to the effect of 'at least give me your initials') he simply replies "K" (Kersey). That's what I like to believe, anyway.

For what it was, this movie was better than average, no doubt. I'd give it a 5 out of 10, easily. It's definitely watchable, but if not for that awful dubbing of the lead character, it could have been a 7 even. It's a shame they decided to do that....
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Master_Dahark, I'm looking forward to checking it out. :D
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    What place is this?!

The Comedy of Terrors (1963) dir. Jacques Tourneur, written by Richard Matheson. Arrow Video dual format. Not seen this before and really enjoyed this old-fashioned black comedy with horror stars Peter Lorre, Vincent Price, Boris Karloff and Basil Rathbone.
    Did laugh out loud several times, but what accent was Joe E Brown going for? Think he’s meant to be Irish but sounds more Jamaican!
    Again a top release from Arrow with the film on both blu-ray and DVD (and it looks pretty darn good), a raft of special features, booklet and lovely newly commissioned cover art.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Venom I was pleasantly surprised by this. The initial reviews weren’t great, but I really enjoyed it. It’s a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously and has a decent amount of humor.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,318
    Death Kiss- 2018

death_kiss.jpg

@Murdock you might want to read this one.

Here is that infamous 'Charles Bronson lookalike' movie I've been so excited about. It just showed up on Amazon today, and while I wanted a physical copy (DVD to be released in December) I couldn't wait, so I just rented it for 3 bucks.

This is a direct-to-video release with a tiny budget, which just happens to star a guy who looks a hell of a lot like Charles Bronson, so I took it for what it was, not expecting Spielberg or anything.

I will tell you- there is one fatal flaw in this movie that you just can't get past: the dude playing 'Charles Bronson', is DUBBED. BADLY dubbed.
    I got a hint of it in the trailer, but holy cow, is it bad. Not only does the voice not sound like it should be him, but it actually sounds dubbed, you know?? Like, him and another character could be having a conversation and the one guy sounds normal, but when 'Bronson' talks, the audio literally sounds like it doesn't belong.... like it was inserted over top the regular audio (because it was). It's insanely distracting and will take you completely out of the movie every time he opens his mouth.

I saw an interview on this very forum where I got to hear his real voice, and yes, you could tell English wasn't his first language, and yes, the whole movie was build solely on his resemblance to Charles Bronson, but I promise, the movie would have been way better if they just let the guy use his own voice.

Now, having said that, fortunately he has about as many lines as Arnold Schwarzenegger in the first Terminator, so that's a relief.

As for the movie itself, it's pretty bad, but awesomely bad! The musical score is all synthesizer too and it really feels like you're watching a 70's Bronson movie. It's also really bloody!

It was also kind of fun how this could very loosely be a sequel to Death Wish- this character has no name, but when pressed, (the woman says something to the effect of 'at least give me your initials') he simply replies "K" (Kersey). That's what I like to believe, anyway.

For what it was, this movie was better than average, no doubt. I'd give it a 5 out of 10, easily. It's definitely watchable, but if not for that awful dubbing of the lead character, it could have been a 7 even. It's a shame they decided to do that....

Wonder if Charles Bronson traveled to Hungary at some point, because the likeness between Bronson and Kovacs is incredible!
    Must have..
    Venom I was pleasantly surprised by this. The initial reviews weren’t great, but I really enjoyed it. It’s a movie that doesn’t take itself too seriously and has a decent amount of humor.

Agree. The reviews have been very harsh. Went to see it yesterday and quite enjoyed it. Certainly got more out of it than Black Panther, which got staggering positive reviews. I thought it was awful!
    The humour is a bit off in places (lobster tank
    scene!) But it has good action and Tom Hardy is
    very good most of the time!!
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Interstellar one of my Favourite Science Fiction movies. Bought it on 4K Bluray recently, first time watch tonight... WOW!
  • Interstellar one of my Favourite Science Fiction movies. Bought it on 4K Bluray recently, first time watch tonight... WOW!

You and me both. Love that film. Must be incredible in 4K.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @peter

I want to say thank you from the bottom of my movie-loving heart.

Just about a week ago you pointed me in the direction of Jeremy Saulnier. Well, I've seen all four of his films now: Murder Party, Blue Ruin, Green Room and Hold The Dark. I must admit that I have become a fan of the man's work almost instantly. All four films, including his Tarantino-esque début, range from good to excellent. Blue Ruin especially is perhaps my favourite film of his, though Hold The Dark is arguably his best made film.

I'm curious to see where he will go next. Something tells me he could become the next Villeneuve or even Nolan, depending on his aspirations.

Either way, I wouldn't even have known the man had it not been for your recommendation, so thank you once again, Peter.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    No problem @DarthDimi ...!! Not surprised that JS caught your attention... He's certainly an interesting director, a visionary that walks to his own tune...
    To drop that shootout in the middle of HTD was a stroke of genius...

I love how he twists and plays with genres. It keeps the viewer slightly off balance (which makes watching his films that much more exciting-- I wasn't sure what to expect next (other than doom)). In lesser hands, his genre switches could be seen as pretentious.

He does certainly have the vision of a Villeneuve/Nolan...

Happy you enjoyed!!
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @peter, my jaw stayed dropped for a good 20 seconds once that moment in Hold the Dark kicked off. I love how I was questioning the genre throughout the entire film, it had a whiff of the supernatural about it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @peter, my jaw stayed dropped for a good 20 seconds once that moment in Hold the Dark kicked off. I love how I was questioning the genre throughout the entire film, it had a whiff of the supernatural about it.

lol, me too, @Creasy47 !! And it just kept going and going-- a relentless storm-- and the more it went on, the sicker i felt...!
    peter wrote: »

lol, me too, @Creasy47 !! And it just kept going and going-- a relentless storm-- and the more it went on, the sicker i felt...!

I thought nobody was walking away the longer and longer it went - wildly unrelenting.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »

I thought nobody was walking away the longer and longer it went - wildly unrelenting.

Exactly!! And that's when I checked the time on the film and realized we had a whole second part of a film to go...! What an amazing sequence!
    @peter, @Creasy47

I equate that moment to the iconic bank heist in HEAT. It's one of those unforgettable moments people drop right in the middle of the film where you least expect it. Seeing how this is a smaller-scale film than HEAT, the scene we're speaking of is smaller-scale than the bank heist scene too, but its impact on my viewing experience is similar all the same.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @peter, @Creasy47

I equate that moment to the iconic bank heist in HEAT. It's one of those unforgettable moments people drop right in the middle of the film where you least expect it. Seeing how this is a smaller-scale film than HEAT, the scene we're speaking of is smaller-scale than the bank heist scene too, but its impact on my viewing experience is similar all the same.

yes, @DarthDimi -- agree one hundred per cent. It was a wallop to the gut. Same chaotic energy as HEAT. Smaller scale, as equal in impact. Just such a wonderful decision to drop it there, as you say, so unexpectedly.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited October 2018 Posts: 7,995
    I had never heard of Hold the Dark until the above mention; the comments make it sound intriguing and I will seek it out.
    With that said , I was surprised to see how, for the most part, poorly received and reviewed
    it’s been, any theories as to why?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »
    I had never heard of Hold the Dark until the above mention; the comments make it sound intriguing and I will seek it out.
    With that said , I was surprised to see how, for the most part, poorly received and reviewed

I would say it would be a frustrating view if one went in with certain presumptions of what the film is about. The director takes chances and bends and switches genres; it’s also not a typical three act structure (which could also wear a viewer down).

Personally I found it a mesmerizing nightmare, and, as I said before, in lesser hands, would be a pretentious trainwreck.

It was based off of a novel (which I have not read), and the adaptation breaks the rules of film, I would think, to share a certain rhythm with the original source.

It is a deeply disturbed and disturbing story. And I felt quite filthy afterwards.

Actually, @talos7, I was under the impression that it is a rather well-received film.
    I submit the hypothesis that negative reviews mostly come from people looking for warmth, a satisfying conclusion and conventional filmmaking. Hold The Dark, in contrast, is pretty nihilistic, with very few, if any, likeable characters and a few bold narrative moves. I'd throw something like Nolan's remake of Insomnia in the mix and argue that we're dealing with a similar problem there. Not too many likeable characters in that film and absolutely not a pleasureful experience overall. Saulnier's Blue Ruin is another fine example. I for one love that particular brand of films, but I accept the fact that some people are looking for other things in a movie.
  • peterpeter Toronto

I forgot to respond to your note on the supernatural, @Creasy47 .

I agree with you and thought that the
    burial of the son (with the blood ritual), and the taking of the coffin at the end, all leads to speculation that the son will be resurrected again
    edited October 2018 Posts: 40,513

Lots of Netflix movies get awful reviews, for some reason - I also enjoyed Mute and The Outsider despite them being torn to shreds by critics. That's why I never pay heed or mind to any critics reviews. Utterly pointless.

@peter, same here. I was honestly awaiting the reveal of:
    Them being werewolves - thought I had that twist pegged from the start but apparently not.