Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @mattjoes
    It wasn't terrible but still, sitting through the whole thing was a challenge and I have little intention of watching any of these ever again.
    [quote="DarthDimi;922808"}

Green Room
    Very interesting film, bringing Captain Picard and young Checkov together for a pretty dark and nihilistic thriller.[/quote]

A tough watch but worth it so see Sir Patrick Stewart challenge himself out of his comfort zone.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    A Quiet Place
    Excellent horror flick!

Darkman trilogy
    Oh well... Not exactly good, now is it?

Green Room
    Very interesting film, bringing Captain Picard and young Checkov together for a pretty dark and nihilistic thriller.

@DarthDimi -- I just watched Saulnier's follow up-- HOLD THE DARK.... Deeply disturbing. If you liked the GR...well, after watching HTD, I felt like I needed a shower...
    peter wrote: »
    A Quiet Place
    Excellent horror flick!

Darkman trilogy

Green Room
    Very interesting film, bringing Captain Picard and young Checkov together for a pretty dark and nihilistic thriller.

@DarthDimi -- I just watched Saulnier's follow up-- HOLD THE DARK.... Deeply disturbing. If you liked the GR...well, after watching HTD, I felt like I needed a shower...

There was a follow up ??!!
    @mattjoes
    It wasn't terrible but still, sitting through the whole thing was a challenge and I have little intention of watching any of these ever again.

I see. I enjoy it, myself.
    The Tamarind Seed, a terrific film which I had the pleasure of watching earlier this year, is now free to watch on YouTube courtesy of film channel Retrospective. There are several other interesting films featured on the channel, as well.

• RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    M:I Fallout is excellent.

I like Spectre a lot more.
    Hopefully we all enjoy BOND 25, but it should feel self-assured rather than the non-stop clock is ticking pace of M:I.

Because it's a Bond film?
    Absolutely!

It's more watchable, re-watchable, enjoyable. More engaging for me through the Bond character. Then the locations and other detail. So I clearly like it more.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    @mattjoes

I found them all to be a great experience. Once. They are in my memory. No need for another viewing.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,322
    Watched a couple films since Thursday; French Connection II (1975) and The Ipcress File (1965).

French Connection II was an interesting watch. Hadn't seen it in years, so it was almost like watching a film you haven't seen before. Anyway, I can totally understand why @LeonardPine prefer it to the original. The Marseilles setting makes this a totally different experience, with beautiful locations in one scene and unsettling ones in the other. Don't know if I'd rate it higher than the original, but I wouldn't say it's a lesser film either. Great watch!

The Ipcress File was due a rewatch, and I took the time to do a late night viewing last night. Every time I watch this gritty mid-sixties thriller I'm reminded why I rank it as one of my top-three favourite films. The cinematography, Michael Caine as Harry Palmer and the portrayal of espionage that's the complete opposite of the Bond films, makes this such an enjoyable film to watch.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    barryt007 wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    A Quiet Place
    Excellent horror flick!

Darkman trilogy

Green Room

There was a follow up ??!!

No, not to GR, @barryt007 , but the director's follow up film.... Equally as interesting, bleak, nihilistic, frightening and definitely uncomfortable!!
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,730
    I showed Trainspotting to 5 if my buddies because it’s one of my favorite films and I’m always going on about it, but they all didn’t like it. They said there was no story and it was boring. I was having a hard time explaining the genius of it and why I love it so much. What is it about it that makes it so good?
    Robbery (1967).
    Stumbled across this one on Youtube. Since it's directed by Peter Yates (who also directed one of my favourite films, Bullitt (1968), I just had to watch it. This fictionalised version of the 1963 Great Train Robbery isn't bad at all – topped by a great high-speed chase at the beginning of the film. Steve McQueen did right approving Yates as the director of Bullitt the year after!
    Robbery (1967).
    Stumbled across this one on Youtube. Since it's directed by Peter Yates (who also directed one of my favourite films, Bullitt (1968), I just had to watch it. This fictionalised version of the 1963 Great Train Robbery isn't bad at all – topped by a great high-speed chase at the beginning of the film. Steve McQueen did right approving Yates as the director of Bullitt the year after!

I used to own the DVD. But I found it a hard slog the last time I watched it, and it was one of a clutch of movies I chucked in a clear out. The chase is good though but Yates did much better work on Bullitt, which I never get tired of watching!
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Robbery (1967).

I used to own the DVD. But I found it a hard slog the last time I watched it, and it was one of a clutch of movies I chucked in a clear out. The chase is good though but Yates did much better work on Bullitt, which I never get tired of watching!

Have to agree with that; it's no Bullitt, but I still found it interesting. Don't know how it will hold up on a second viewing, but I might try to get it on DVD or Blu-ray. Shame I didn't watch it sooner - I could have bought that copy of yours!

In the middle of a clear out myself now. Got rid of somewhere between 60-70 DVD's only days ago, and downsizing many of the films I'm keeping in sleeves with space for the cover art, rather than in cases. So far that's two shelves downsized to two shoebox sized wooden crates.
    French Connection II was an interesting watch. Hadn't seen it in years, so it was almost like watching a film you haven't seen before. Anyway, I can totally understand why @LeonardPine prefer it to the original. The Marseilles setting makes this a totally different experience, with beautiful locations in one scene and unsettling ones in the other. Don't know if I'd rate it higher than the original, but I wouldn't say it's a lesser film either. Great watch!

I prefer the sequel, too.

The scenario is highly compelling:
    Doyle, a tough, street smart NY cop, now in a foreign country in which nobody gives a damn about him and he can't speak the language. He can't interrogate suspects, cab drivers rip him off, the police are using him as bait. So he just wanders the streets without much to do, drinking with funny barmen whom he can't talk with, and getting laid, until he finally stumbles into trouble. It's just passing the time. Then he is turned into a junkie and it's the same story all over again, passing the time without much to do but tell baseball stories until he gets the drugs off the system. Like its predecessor, this movie makes an art and an entertainment out of waiting. Then the physically grueling climactic foot chase and the sudden cut to black at the very end, not a second after an outcome has been reached. Great stuff.

And then there's the music. The music, oh yes.

I enjoy the original, but find the sequel much more interesting. There's also Bernard Fresson. I like to think Barthélémy and Doyle eventually develop some begrudging respect for each other.
    mattjoes wrote: »

Doyle, a tough, street smart NY cop, now in a foreign country in which nobody gives a damn about him and he can't speak the language. He can't interrogate suspects, cab drivers rip him off, the police are using him as bait. So he just wanders the streets without much to do, drinking with funny barmen whom he can't talk with, and getting laid, until he finally stumbles into trouble. It's just passing the time. Then he is turned into a junkie and it's the same story all over again, passing the time without much to do but tell baseball stories until he gets the drugs off the system. Like its predecessor, this movie makes an art and an entertainment out of waiting. Then the physically grueling climactic foot chase and the sudden cut to black at the very end, not a second after an outcome has been reached. Great stuff.

I enjoy the original, but find the sequel much more interesting. There's also Bernard Fresson. I like to think Barthélémy and Doyle eventually develop some begrudging respect for each other.

Agree on the compelling scenario. Placing Doyle in Marseilles sure gave them lot to play with (yet they kept things very tight and downbeat), and Gene Hackman and Bernard Fresson made a great pairing – from their first scene together, actually. I often find that actors need a few scenes together to make things work out, but not in this film.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    mattjoes wrote: »

Good to know there's someone else who prefers the sequel, @mattjoes !

Much as i also like the original French Connection, i really hate that scene where they take a whole car apart looking for the drugs and then someone mentions 'the rocker panels' the most obvious place where they could be hidden!

I know its more dramatic to take the whole car apart, but come on!
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,828
    That's because it was the most obvious place, and thus the one people wouldn't think of looking at, that the smugglers used them to hide the dope. A bit of Edgar Allan Poe here (The Purloined Letter to be precise).

Oh, and BTW, it's "Marseille", not "Marseilles". Where that superfluous S comes from, I have no idea.
    Spider-Man 1, 2 & 3
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Gerard wrote: »
    That's because it was the most obvious place, and thus the one people wouldn't think of looking at, that the smugglers used them to hide the dope. A bit of Edgar Allan Poe here (The Purloined Letter to be precise).

Oh, and BTW, it's "Marseille", not "Marseilles". Where that superfluous S comes from, I have no idea.

Nice try, but that's not how the scene is played out. I think you're giving the filmmakers a little too much credit there to be fair.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Inception first time watch in 4K, I am a huge fan of Nolan and this film and think he would make a world class Bond film. This film looks amazing in this format though its the sound that has blown my mind its incredible.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Inception first time watch in 4K, I am a huge fan of Nolan and this film and think he would make a world class Bond film. This film looks amazing in this format though its the sound that has blown my mind its incredible.
    I have to get this, Interstellar and The Prestige on 4K. I'm sure they will all be great. Glad you enjoyed it and I agree with you that Nolan would ace Bond if he ever got a crack at it.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    bondjames wrote: »
    I have to get this, Interstellar and The Prestige on 4K. I'm sure they will all be great. Glad you enjoyed it and I agree with you that Nolan would ace Bond if he ever got a crack at it.

This past week I bought Inception and Interstellar on 4K Nolan is ahead of the curve as a film maker, I think he is a genius that will get better.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

This past week I bought Inception and Interstellar on 4K Nolan is ahead of the curve as a film maker, I think he is a genius that will get better.
    I can't disagree. He has an amazing knack for taking complex narratives and ideas and putting them on film in a fashion that is commercially and critically successful. He's one of the best out there at present, and worthy of his fame and reputation.

I can't disagree. He has an amazing knack for taking complex narratives and ideas and putting them on film in a fashion that is commercially and critically successful. He's one of the best out there at present, and worthy of his fame and reputation.

Agreed also his appreciation for old school film making, Nolan rarely wastes a shot he has finite precision. I think in years to come he will be regarded as a master.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,495
    Inception amazing film watched the last hour again, alot of the themes resonate.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,848
    Streets of Fire (1984)
    Continuing my Walter Hill movie watch.
    To a punchy drumbeat, after the title, come's the words A Rock and Roll fable....Another Time, Another Place! Hills stylish action flick is simplcity itself. Ellen Aim, rock star in a small town, is kidnapped by biker villain, Raven, and her ex boyfriend, Tom Cody, is summoned by his sister to rescue her!!
    Dazzlingly photographed by Andrew Laszlo, it's Hills ode to music videos of the time. Fast cutting and exaggerated sound effects, with great action set pieces, from a rumble in a diner where Cody takes on a 5 man gang armed with a hatstand to the terrific climactic sledgehammer duel between Raven and Cody.
    It's hard to figure why it was a flop.
    Coming after Hills biggest success, 48 Hrs, it was meant to be the start of a trilogy.
    Meant to be Michael Pares (Cody) breakout role,
    It was also the debut of Willem Dafoe (Raven) who at least went onto a career! The music, by Ry Cooder and Dan Hartman among others is great, and when I first saw it in the cinema, I was blown away by it. It's waned over the years, but this was a good viewing of it, my first on blu ray, and it looks, and sounds great!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,135
    American Animals (2018)

My favourite movie of the year so far. This was funny, exhilarating, dark, thoughtful, and most of all fresh.
    American Animals (2018)

My favourite movie of the year so far. This was funny, exhilarating, dark, thoughtful, and most of all fresh.

So would you have preferred that director for Bond 25 than the one we have? As it nearly was!
    My favourite movie of the year too!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited October 2018 Posts: 8,135
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    American Animals (2018)

So would you have preferred that director for Bond 25 than the one we have? As it nearly was!
    My favourite movie of the year too!

I would prefer even Boyle over this Fukunaga bloke! But yes, Layton would've been ideal. Oh well. :(