Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    E.T.

ET_Bandaids_560x330_MSDETTT_EC038_H-thumb-560xauto-28715.jpg

So, how often have I seen this film by now? Twenty times? Thirty? I can't say for sure but I do know I absolutely love it! 30 years 'old' by now, and still this one hasn't lost a single bit of its charm. Leave it to Spielberg to turn an ugly pile of molten plastic into the cutest creature in the universe.

5/5
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,351
    @DarthDimi my childhood memories of E.T. come from the BT adverts from 1999 shown in the UK. I saw them before I'd even heard of the film but boy I loved E.T. - so cute!

He even helped Comic Relief:

A completely pointless post but I love to film too DD, just a slightly different introduction to him.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    E.T.

ET_Bandaids_560x330_MSDETTT_EC038_H-thumb-560xauto-28715.jpg

So, how often have I seen this film by now? Twenty times? Thirty? I can't say for sure but I do know I absolutely love it! 30 years 'old' by now, and still this one hasn't lost a single bit of its charm. Leave it to Spielberg to turn an ugly pile of molten plastic into the cutest creature in the universe.

5/5

Great movie and completely agree with the above DD! :-bd
    Alien 1979
    9/10
    I still have trouble watching that bit where the Alien bursts out from Kane's stomach, no matter how many times I see it, I always look away or switch channels when they are around the table eating and you know what's going to happen, feel a bit embarrassed maybe, and I think the second one in 1986 was better too. Apart from that, too busy the last few days to have been watching any movies
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Men In Black 3 (in 3D)

It was actually great fun. As fun as I remember this franchise being. Hour and 50 minutes flew like that and I didn't find myself a least bit bored. I'm not sure how I'd rank it within the franchise because I haven't seen either of the previous movies in years. From back of my memory, I'd say the humor was there added with a little bit of personal drama like in the second movie. Brolin made a great impression of Jones and Will Smith was like has always been. Looking at this movie, I'm left to wonder if Will Smith is a daylight vampire. On film, he looks like he has not aged...at all. Anyway, saw it in 3D and I'm kind of glad I did. There were some scenes where 3D added some dept and in a movie like this it doesn't really break it. Shoot me, but few scenes made me think what Bond movie would look like with 3D adding dept to some breath taking scenarios. And it didn't have anything to do with me seeing the attached trailer for Skyfall.

3/5 Not bad. Good fun.
    I'll be quick but had some free time and managed to sneak in a Seagal movie, On Deadly Ground,, well worth a watch if you haven't seen it, you'll either collapse from fits of humor, pass out by boredom, or end up throwing objects at the screen, either way it's not a bad 85 minutes or so, sort of like the Moonraker of Seagal movies, dumb, stupid implausible fun but keeps the interest and lots to get involved in etc

3677.jpg
    poster2%20Matt%20Helm%20Lounge%20The%20Silencers%20Murderers%20Row%20The%20Ambushers%20The%20Wrecking%20Crew.jpg

HELM17.jpg

One description fits to all Matt Helm films ; Beautiful girls, Dean Martin and hippy soundtrack. Nothing else really. Pales in comparison with the Bond movies. No wonder, because they are just spoofs made in the height of the Bond mania.

Cracking-Up--a-k-a-Smorgasbord---1982.jpg

I watched this one repeatably as a child. Jerry Lewis is still funny in this. Funniest comedian of the last century in fact. But this movie is a collection of random jokes that either miss their mark or get a laughter out of you. Still, very average movie as a whole.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    SharkBait wrote:
    poster2%20Matt%20Helm%20Lounge%20The%20Silencers%20Murderers%20Row%20The%20Ambushers%20The%20Wrecking%20Crew.jpg

HELM17.jpg

One description fits to all Matt Helm films ; Beautiful girls, Dean Martin and hippy soundtrack. Nothing else really. Pales in comparison with the Bond movies. No wonder, because they are just spoofs made in the height of the Bond mania.

Not the best of the Helm series(I would give that title to The Silencers) but TWC does benefit from the most impressive female cast in that series(Elke Sommer, Tina Louise, Sharon Tate and best of all, Nancy Kwan). I'm sure Dino enjoyed that. If you like the Elke Sommer/Nigel Green villainy combo, I highly recommend the 1967 Bond spoof Deadlier Than The Male.

TheAvengers2012Poster.jpg
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I still need to see The Wrecking Crew. I don't think it's available on DVD on it's own.
    THOR still an entertaining movie whose 12 years label is one of total bewilderment for me.
    MIB 3. Really fun, entertaining film, just like the last two. Smith and Jones were as great as always and Brolin was really good too. And as an added bonous, I saw the SF trailer on the big screen. I hope they make a 4th one.
    Stargate and Sphere IMO two under rated movies. Arnolds soundtrack for Stargate is excellent, may be his best work.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I loved the movie Sphere ! :)
    I loved the movie Sphere ! :)

bought it yesterday not seen it for several years. excellent script and acting. its not your typical effects laden sci fi blockbuster and all the better for it.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,693
    Prometheus

Prom2.jpg

Being the huge Alien fan that I am, anticipation for this film left me with a case of insomnia last night. I do consider myself privileged, however, to have seen it in its world première exactly 3 hours ago.

I will of course refrain from blowing people's experience, so I will cut my 'review' in two halves and with spoiler warnings.

A couple of things about the film (including plot and fan service):
    This film shows what a lesser film would tell. It's an intelligent ride towards the mysterious background on which Alien was built. It teaches us about the origin of mankind (without upsetting religious folks) and reveals a dangerous threat at the same time. References to Alien and our *beloved* alien species come in small doses and aren't insultingly obvious or blatantly simple, but they're there all right, that is if you must find them. This film does not, however, require you to know every detail from Alien in order to fully enjoy it. It's its own thing, deliberately vague and ambiguous in several departments, and it certainly leaves room for possible sequels that could be entirely disconnected, or so I predict, from the Alien franchise of old. That said, the alien ship and the space jockey, both infamous images - and remember, this is all about images first, story second - from the movie Alien, are featured excessively and in fact remain the focal point of this film for the most part.
    Acting is good, but there's a 2001 kind of quality to it. This means that one could occasionally argue that human characters are insignificant to the surroundings and the ominous threats they (and we) are faced with.
    The visuals are stunningly beautiful ("best CGI ever" lists will need some internal shifting), the music's great (with a tiny nod to the Alien score by Jerry Goldsmith) and the sound effects are impressive.
    Sexual subtext, with exhausting eagerness exposed by film theoreticians as omnipresent in Alien, is slightly less subtle in this film but also much less frequent, IMO at least. The film's critical emphasis is more on the existential rather than on the sexual, which is a good thing by the way. Repeating the things that have kept us contemplating Alien for the past three decades, would have been this film's worst enemy.
    Overall though, one doesn't even need to view this film as a philosophical thesis. It's at least as enjoyable as a straight but great Sci-Fi film.

My recommendation:
    This film is a 5/5 for me. I recommend it only to a certain group of people though. If you think Aliens beat Alien in every respect, this might not be the right film for you. Even if you hold Alien in the highest esteem possible, it is still unclear to me as to whether or not you'll enjoy this film for it is not a direct prequel to Alien in the sense that most people nowadays would imagine. In terms of aesthetics, I think it does go back to Alien (bringing the Giger images back with maximum effect.) In terms of pacing though, it's a lot like Blade Runner and Alien, and some folks today will simply be bored by that. When hard science fiction with a little mysticism in it, presented in the style of the great Arthur C. Clarke's works, is your cup of tee, by all means see this film: I implore you. But, if you're looking for the next Avatar, the next Aliens, the next Battleship or the next Star Trek, this is none of those. To support my case, my theatre was crowded but I failed to notice anyone younger than 30 (besides my girlfriend, that is). Seriously, this isn't a popcorn film and so if you can't handle films that breathe, that raise several questions which need not necessarily be satisfyingly answered by the end of the film, films that daringly defy conventional filmmaking in some crucial respects, you might not find the same amount of pleasure in it like I do. However, if you're not afraid of intelligent Sci-Fi that works on a cerebral level and forces you to think, wonder and devise your own hypotheses, you may love this film. I know I do. I'm a fan of Prometheus, though not as a film in the Alien canon, but as its own thing.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2,107
    Glad you liked it Dimi :-bd

I must see it ASAP. Which is on 1st of June in here I think.

BTW, did you see it in 3D or in 2D?
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    DD, many reviews seem to be thinking along those lines too. I think this should be a great ride but some see it as a bit of a blunder. Either way, I'm glad that at last, Prometheus has landed.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,693
    SharkBait wrote:
    Glad you liked it Dimi :-bd

I must see it ASAP. Which is on 1st of June in here I think.

BTW, did you see it in 3D or in 2D?

2D, sir, but with a VIP-treatment. Anyway, for the life of me I can't imagine how 3D could add to this visually impressive film. I say leave it. The 3D might help to get bored teens through it though. ;-)

Samuel001 wrote:
    DD, many reviews seem to be thinking along those lines too. I think this should be a great ride but some see it as a bit of a blunder. Either way, I'm glad that at last, Prometheus has landed.

Well, I think we're back to the old discussions. Some love Blade Runner, some think it's a flawed film. Some love Alien, some think it's nothing compared to Aliens. I'm a Blade Runner and Alien fan and this film felt like it was made for me. This isn't War Of The Worlds or Avatar. You need to understand that this isn't a Sci-Fi spectacle full of action beats, quick cuts and loaded with explosions. It offers the goods, don't worry, but in sufficiently small doses to effectively cut off a certain group of people. Either way, I like a film that understands the long-term dangers of excessive exposition and appreciates the combination of wonderful images and the time we need to inspect them thoroughly. Even now, as we speak, I'm getting prepared to see it again for there's still stuff that I haven't been able to fully see or understand. Dense in its details, healthily balanced in its spectacle, that's the type of film I crave, that's what Prometheus gave me.
    Get Smart , Again! (would you believe it?)

For a tv movie released in -89, I felt this second Get Smart movie captured most of the feel and humor of the original sixties serial. I haven't seen The Nude Bomb, so I can't compare these 80's efforts. Still, it was fun for an hour and a half.
    Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (2010)
    Good film. 8/10 Gemma is great in this.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    has anyone seen 'Kill List' ?
    Not yet, DC. Worth checking out?
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I re-watched the Korean horror/thriller 'I Saw The Devil' last night, starring Kyung-chul from 'Oldboy' as the antagonist. Excellent, brutal film; highly recommended. It's on Netflix Play Now, clocks in around 2h24m, and it just doesn't let up.

I have to reiterate that it is very brutal and gruesome, so if that's your thing, you'll certainly enjoy this.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,696
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Not yet, DC. Worth checking out?

that's what I'm asking ;) I DL'ed it, and want to know if it's good before I sit down and watch it..... apparently it's a very, very disturbing film.

@Creasy47 I saw 'I Saw the Devil' in cinemas a year ago..... this film will be a cult classic in a few years :)

if you like asian cinema, I suggest 'Attack the gas station !' (1999)... a completly absurd, yet utterly amazing film.

and I cannot not suggest the master of gangter/crime films, Hong-Kong's Johnnie TO, who directed the masterpieces 'PTU', 'The Mission' (1999) and 'Breaking News'.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Who's in "Kill List", and what's it about @DC007? I'm intrigued.
    @DaltonCraig007, are you talking about the one directed by Ben Wheatley? If so, I've heard some good things about it.

And yes, it will be. I loved it. Brutal and nasty from start to finish.
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,696
    Who's in "Kill List", and what's it about @DC007? I'm intrigued.

apparently the plot is a bit 'out there' and hard to follow, but it's one of the most disturbing horror film in recent years.....

@Creasy have you seen 'The Chaser' ? IMO one of the finest korean films ever made...

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @DC007, have you ever seen Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer? Not a horror film, but so disturbing. It is basically about a man taken under the wing of another man who is a murderer, and a master/protege relationship forms. The two go out and kill, as sort of a practice, and it is rather sickening. There is one moment where
    they record the murder of a family, and all you see in the shot is the video of the family being assaulted, and the camera pans out to show that the two are constantly rewinding the footage, wanting to see it over and over again.
    It isn't a film to watch with a weak stomach.
    @DC007, I've seen 'The Chaser'. Crazy film. Nice little twist to the characters, too, as they aren't just normal, every day people - like the protagonist.