Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    My dear friend, compared to SNDN, the Hellraiser series is Shakespeare at his best. ;-)

Yes, Inferno let me down too, the first time that is, until I learned to appreciate the different tone of the made-for-video films. Now, I hold Inferno in a somewhat higher esteem, though I'm still not a huge fan. That said, I think you might find the general atmosphere in Hellseeker and Deader surprisingly interesting. Plus, there's a little treat hidden in Hellseeker but I leave it to you, sir, to find out. ;-)

That brings us to Hellworld, which many seem to think is just out-of-this-world bad. I can honestly say I prefer it to all Hellraiser films except the first two. It's basically a slasher film with a couple of lovely twists. Also, we get Lance Henrikson. ;-) That helps.

Revelations... Well, let's just say that it's not the same without Doug...

Huge Hellraiser fan here. Read the Barker material, the comic books and Paul Kane's very elaborate The Hellraiser Films And Their Legacy book multiple times. If only I found a less unpleasant way to beat those pins in my head... But then, pain's what this is all about ultimately, isn't it? ;-)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe: This film gets a pass from me BUT I must urge you to stay away from number 2. I repulsed me to the point where I decided never to touch parts 3, 4 and 5. I should perhaps clarify that the repulsion comes from it being just insultingly bad. ;-)

I saw all of them. The 1st one is decent enough but from there it just gets worse and worse (although the 2nd has the "garbage day!" line)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 12,837
    Just watched Bruce Lee's The Big Boss (or Fists Of Fury, whatever you wanna call it). Classic martial arts action, I like it but for me his best is Enter The Dragon.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Picked up a couple movies from my local rental store: watched Shame, with Michael Fassbender, which was incredibly rich and unique, but it does have an NC-17 rating, so be prepared for lots of heavy sexual scenes, then I watched Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings; pretty mediocre film, but you should already be aware of this before you watch it. Working on Warrior right now, and then The Innkeepers.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I saw all of them. The 1st one is decent enough but from there it just gets worse and worse (although the 2nd has the "garbage day!" line)

So that's where the garbage day thing comes from. I've seen pics and gifs of it, but I wasn't sure of the origins.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Picked up a couple movies from my local rental store: watched Shame, with Michael Fassbender, which was incredibly rich and unique, but it does have an NC-17 rating, so be prepared for lots of heavy sexual scenes, then I watched Wrong Turn 4: Bloody Beginnings; pretty mediocre film, but you should already be aware of this before you watch it. Working on Warrior right now, and then The Innkeepers.

Have you seen The House Of The Devil?

Last film I watched:

Bite+the+Bullet.jpg

Good film, i'm not a fan of westerns, but still a good film.

Gene Hackman
    1. The French Connection (1971)
    2. Narrow Margin (1990)
    3. Night Moves (1975)
    4. Bat*21 (1988)
    5. Mississippi Burning (1988)
    6. Company Business (1991)
    7. The Conversation (1974)
    **8. Bite The Bullet (1975) NE**
    9. Uncommon Valour (1983)
    10. Unforgiven (1992)
    11. The Package (1989)
    12. Runaway Jury (2003)
    13. The French Connection 2 (1975)
    14. Enemy Of The State (1998)
    15. Crimson Tide (1995)
    16. No Way Out (1987)
    17. Target (1985)
    18. The Chamber (1996)
    19. A Bridge Too Far (1977)
    20. Behind Enemy Lines (2001)
    21. Heist (2001)
    22. The Quick And The Dead (1995)
    23. The Poseiden Adventure (1972)
    24. The Birdcage (1996)
    25. Wyatt Earp (1994)
    26. Downhill Racer (1969)
    27. Welcome To Mooseport (2003)
    edited May 2012 Posts: 23,612
    Were does Superman: The Movie rank in that list, @MajorDSmythe? ;-)

(and incidentally Superman IV: the Quest for Peace?)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2012 Posts: 13,901
    I don't think i've seen that. Or I have, but it's been erased from my memory. ;) In fact, I need to rewatch the first two and add them to the ranking as well.
    I don't think i've seen that. Or I have, but it's been erased from my memory. ;) In fact, I need to rewatch the first two and add them to the ranking as well.

Please do and when you're at it, why don't you watch both cuts of S2? The Donner cut is often neglected while IMO it's the superior one.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    A couple of nights ago I did a double feature.

haywire.jpg

I actually love this film. It's a Bourne-like movie but with slightly better fight scenes. Highly recommend.

contraband-poster_354_500_80_s.jpg

Decent film but nothing special and slow at parts. Good for a rental.
    edited May 2012 Posts: 40,537
    @QsAssistant, glad to see someone else that loved and recommended Haywire. I instantly went out and purchased it after renting it from Redbox.

@MajorDSmythe, I did, and it was fantastic. So eerie, especially when:
    The main character's friend is shot while sitting in her car. So quick and violent, and, if I remember correctly, the score gets really shrill and high when the shot is fired. Scared the hell out of me.

I watched half of The Innkeepers last night, and plan on finishing it any minute now, but I love how the first 1/3 of the film is just set up so you can learn more about the characters, and you would have no idea that it would be a horror movie if you went into it absolutely blind.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I watched half of The Innkeepers last night, and plan on finishing it any minute now, but I love how the first 1/3 of the film is just set up so you can learn more about the characters, and you would have no idea that it would be a horror movie if you went into it absolutely blind.

With all respect, I can't believe you stopped watching but then, you probably have a good reason. ;-) All I'm saying is, it takes you out of the mood of the film, does it not? A film like The Innkeepers is about building layer upon layer so when the real mayhem starts, you're all ready for it. I doubt that, well at least speaking for myself, I'd be able to get going with it after a pause of more than 5 minutes. ;-)

Anyway, I saw The Cabin In The Woods today and man, I had so much fun with it!

CabinintheWoods.jpg

It's the best fun a meta film can offer! See it.

edited May 2012 Posts: 40,537
    @DarthDimi, I really, really wanted to keep watching it, but I was hit with being tired like a train wreck. Don't get me wrong, the film was far from boring, it's just that I instantly felt my eyes get heavy and I didn't want to pass out, wake up towards the end, and spoil anything. I surmise it was a mixture of having a long day, on top of having all of the lights off at night. Really added to the creepiness, ;).

As for The Cabin In The Woods, I haven't been excited to see a horror movie like this one in a long, long time. I love getting amped when it comes to horror movies, and sadly, I missed out on the chance of seeing this one in theaters, and everywhere I look, it's out. Looks like I have to wait for the home format release.
    Raw Iron - Making of Pumping Iron 4.5/6......pretty good
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @MajorDSmythe, I did, and it was fantastic. So eerie, especially when:
    The main character's friend is shot while sitting in her car. So quick and violent, and, if I remember correctly, the score gets really shrill and high when the shot is fired. Scared the hell out of me.

I'm interested to hear your thoughts on The Inkeepers when you've seen it all, and how you think it compares to The House Of The Devil.
    @MajorDSmythe, will do. Had to go to town for a bit - just turned 21 and could use a drink - but I returned, so I'm starting it up as I type this.
    DarthDimi wrote:

Anyway, I saw The Cabin In The Woods today and man, I had so much fun with it!

CabinintheWoods.jpg

It's the best fun a meta film can offer! See it.

Glad you enjoyed it, saw it at the cinema not long ago, really good, fun horror flick.
    @MajorDSmythe, what an excellent, thrilling film. The thing I love about Ti West films is how, at any given moment, something creepy or scary could happen, so you just never know when to expect what might come next. And the score of The Innkeepers? Made it 1,000x eerier. Very, very entertaining film. I don't know if you noticed that, during the ending shot, that:
    The ghost of Claire can be subtly seen in front of the right curtain, staring out the window. She turns to the camera, and that's when the door slams.
    I did not notice that. I'm going to have to see that part again, and have a look for myself.

I liked it, overall I thought The House Of The Devil was better. But based on lead performance, i'd give it to The Innkeepers.
    I did not notice that. I'm going to have to see that part again, and have a look for myself.

I liked it, overall I thought The House Of The Devil was better. But based on lead performance, i'd give it to The Innkeepers.

Yeah, the way they set up Claire's character was really interesting - getting to know the backstory of the hotel, getting to know the characters, the layout of the hotel, the other guests, etc., then they start throwing the eerie scares in my face. Great movie, but I, too, think I enjoyed The House of the Devil a bit more.
    I was looking for this

Shouldn't really admit to it but last movie I saw was The Blair Witch Project about an hour ago or a bit later even. This Fckn nonsense was made for shirt buttons and pulled in millions of dollars at the box office, simply out of curiosity if nothing else and a lot of promotion at the time, even went to see in 1999 amid all the hype and I remember too how frustrated I was back then

I feel embarrassed whenever I watch this, especially as a native of Maryland, anyone watching this must think the people around there have room temperature IQ's, so dumb are the kids presented on film, it was a bit of a rough ride tonight

If you want to see an hour and a half of stupid annoying kids swearing, screaming and endless shots of feet, twigs, leaves and branches, and enough camera shaking to make you vomit then this could well be right up your alley

This crap makes Diamonds are Forever look like The Third Man or something

Apart from a few minutes at the very end in the abandoned house, there is absolutely nothing worth seeing here. I felt more threatened at a Dolly Parton concert

Blair_Witch_Project.jpg

edited May 2012 Posts: 23,612
    TBWP was the new kind of horror back in the day. It boosted the 'found footage' film to unseen heights of success and righteously so IMO. It was all about creating a hype using the Internet, trapping kids in being convinced it was real. That by itself was enough to lure thousands of them to the theatre in '99. I myself enjoyed its frightening mood for I was seduced' by its realistic feel, obviously created by the simple trick of the video cam recordings. Nowadays our understanding of this horror subgenre and its fairly simple rules goes a lot further, what with all the Blair Witch clones and copycats that came after it. Still, I to this day applaud its impressive achievements. It reminded us that original ideas can result in massive returns at the BO and it demonstrates that once you launch something new and hot, dozens will use it for their own benefit. Think about JJ Abrams' Cloverfield or Romero's Diary Of The Dead. But think of some surprisingly strong films like Rec as well. And then there's the 'new' batch of Found Footage horror in the Paranormal Activity series... to which I must admit I'm fairly indifferent, borderline negative. But the one thing that I love and hate about TBWP at the same time, is constantly thinking: why the hell didn't I come up with this? I bet a lot of folks have thought the same thoughts. Would I recommend this film to anyone though? Meh, not sure I would. In the end, I prefer Cannibal Holocaust to this one any day.
    Watched The Vow with my girlfriend last night, and it was just as you'd expect from these sappy Nicholas Sparks novel-to-film adaptations: love, tragedy, heartbreak. When the credits rolled, all she could talk about was how much the film sucked, and I just said "...really? You made me sit through all of that, and you, personally, hated the film? You couldn't have just lied to me like women are renown for?"
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Watched The Vow with my girlfriend last night, and it was just as you'd expect from these sappy Nicholas Sparks novel-to-film adaptations: love, tragedy, heartbreak. When the credits rolled, all she could talk about was how much the film sucked, and I just said "...really? You made me sit through all of that, and you, personally, hated the film? You couldn't have just lied to me like women are renown for?"
    Beware the danger zone of an angry female @Creasy47. They take no prisoners.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, they sure don't. It's a lose-lose battle trying to argue with them. I just give in anymore.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, they sure don't. It's a lose-lose battle trying to argue with them. I just give in anymore.

That's why I am never eager to get into any relationships. I hate drama and the stupidity of my current generation who believes that you have to be "Facebook approved" as a couple, and update yourself as "dating so and so". It pains me to see how little people my age care for intelligent conversation and are so dependent on social networking sites and a peaking addiction to their stupid cell phones, which I refuse to have. But, I don't mean to get off topic, so I apologize.
    That's a very good point and fair thing to say, the state of todays education is nothing like I remember it, It's good for sure I was educated going back far enough and with subsequent learning, that there was nothing like all that social networking crap like today, most kids today can't hold a conversation or just abbreviate everything or are unable to string together a coherent sentence, I feel sorry for them to a certain extent, people spending 16 hours a day with little else to do but fraternize with 'pals' and other anonymous individuals on a computer or device, with little else in their miserable lives. By god, I wouldn't fancy that kind of existence, you only get one shot at life and some people really are wasting their time out there.

In any event, Goodnight I-)
    Creasy47 wrote:

That's why I am never eager to get into any relationships. I hate drama and the stupidity of my current generation who believes that you have to be "Facebook approved" as a couple, and update yourself as "dating so and so". It pains me to see how little people my age care for intelligent conversation and are so dependent on social networking sites and a peaking addiction to their stupid cell phones, which I refuse to have. But, I don't mean to get off topic, so I apologize.

Nope, trust me, I agree: relationships aren't a huge craze in my life - I love the woman I'm with now, but it won't be the end of my days if things crumbled - and Facebook is the BIGGEST joke I've ever seen. I have never been happier to delete something; I deleted my page years ago, and have not once regretted it. But, that's for another topic.

I've picked up a few blu-rays lately that I have yet to open: should I give MI:GP a watch soon, Saving Private Ryan, or Shawshank Redemption?
    @Creasy47, I'd love to hear what you think of MI:GP after viewing it with fresh eyes. I may watch it again myself this weekend.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2012 Posts: 15,692
    I went to see 'The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel' last night.... Excellent !! The cinematography was wonderful, the story was great, with many good hearted moments... the actors.... oh my !! Judi Dench, Maggie Smith, Bill Nighy, Tom Wilkinson... the crème de la crème of british actors !! I had a huge smile on my face from the first second to the last second of the film !! 10/10.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 371
    I watched MI:GP on Bluray last weekend, I found I was really up and down with it, some spectacular set pieces, likeable cast, I just wasn't very convinced by the bad guys, the plot was full of holes, but.. Tom Cruise does these so well now, brilliant action, looked great, I think it's one of those I'd enjoy more second time around, though I did enjoy it.

(Off topic, I've just finished yet another Jack Reacher novel, seriously, Tom Cruise, wtf!)