Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I had the DVD of Kill List in my hands recently, I couldn't decide whether to buy it or not, I choose not. It sounds like the 1990's Stallone film, Assassins, via the horror genre. So I might just buy it and see for myself afterall.
    Watched 'the Avengers' again last night. Will go and see it again for a third time soon. Really want it to beat Avatar at the box office. If anyone hasn't seen it, it's totally worth it, definitely go and see it. Absolutely amazing.
  • edited June 2012 Posts: 2,341
    At theaters
    MEN IN BLACK 3[/b

]At home:
    Dusted off my old VHS of PREDATOR and watched it. I always loved that movie and IMO it is Arnold's best film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @OHMSS69, how was MIB3? I heard it had a lot of plot holes.
    OHMSS69 wrote:
    At theaters
    MEN IN BLACK 3[/b

]At home:
    Dusted off my old VHS of PREDATOR and watched it. I always loved that movie and IMO it is Arnold's best film.

Predator is great, and the sequel they did in 1990 was terrible, they should of stayed with the jungle environment, having the Predator in an urban setting just didn't work for me, and with all due respect to Danny Glover, he was the wrong choice also, but I guess Schwarzenegger was busy with other work that year such as Total Recall etc, the original was best and will always be. Check out Commando too if you've never seen it, it is a Schwarzenegger classic

Almost finishing up the original Die Hard; such a classic, always a joy to watch. Bruce Willis, under the odds, taking out German baddies in an LA office building. Can't beat that kind of entertainment.
    Actually you can - it's called Die Hard II ; - )
    Actually you can - it's called Die Hard II ; - )

The first one will always be my favorite. The second is good, but Alan Rickman is such an excellent villain, and there are a couple of Bond villains in the first one: Necros from TLD and Franz Sanchez from LTK.
    Yes, Andreas Nisweiwski, can't remember the character name, but he broke his neck down the flight of stairs with the tussle with McClane and Davi (agent Johnson from the FBI - along with Grand L Bush from License to Kill, who played a DEA agent) Not the thread for it I know, but just while we're at it, I think Die Hard III is also my second best of the series, Willis and Jackson at each others throats around NYC, and Jeremy Irons as the brother of Gruber out to steal some gold, it was a great release
    Andreas also plays the contact for The Fog - the blonde haired guy atop the yacht, looking just like he did in Die Hard and TLD - in MI:GP. He was also in MI.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,696
    'The Raid : Redemption'

in one word : awesome !! \:D/

10/10
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Andreas also plays the contact for The Fog - the blonde haired guy atop the yacht, looking just like he did in Die Hard and TLD - in MI:GP. He was also in MI.

Watched MI:GP today (best of the series by far, would love a Bond movie similar to that). I thought I recognised him!
    @DC007, great to hear! I'm really, really looking forward to getting a chance to watch it.

@Volante, he did look strikingly familiar, and it seemed like there was a nod to him, the way Hunt stares at him.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited June 2012 Posts: 15,696
    tonight I think I'll watch 'Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call : New Orleans' with Nicholas Cage.... I really love Cage as an actor, he is really cool !! apparently this is his best performance in years !! :) I hope it will be as good as 'Lord of War' !
    tonight I think I'll watch 'Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call : New Orleans' with Nicholas Cage.... I really love Cage as an actor, he is really cool !! apparently this is his best performance in years !! :)

I really enjoyed Bad Lieutenant. Cage is very crazy in the role - not a surprise - but he embraces it and plays it well as a dirty cop.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    Volante wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Watched MI:GP today (best of the series by far, would love a Bond movie similar to that). I thought I recognised him!

What character did he play? Wistrom?
    Creasy47 wrote:
    tonight I think I'll watch 'Bad Lieutenant - Port of Call : New Orleans' with Nicholas Cage.... I really love Cage as an actor, he is really cool !! apparently this is his best performance in years !! :)

I really enjoyed Bad Lieutenant. Cage is very crazy in the role - not a surprise - but he embraces it and plays it well as a dirty cop.

I have seen it too. His character is nuts, but it works for him. Those seem to be his greatest roles.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, IMDB just has him listed as 'The Fog's Contact'. This is the scene he's in, from my recollection:
    After the botched job at the Burj, Ethan and the team are in the room, when they talk about who Brandt really is. Ethan says he is going to see a friend, and we see him walking along the docks. When he gets to the top of the yacht, there is a tall, blonde-haired man standing there that hands him a blindfold (if I recall correctly). That's him.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, IMDB just has him listed as 'The Fog's Contact'. This is the scene he's in, from my recollection:
    After the botched job at the Burj, Ethan and the team are in the room, when they talk about who Brandt really is. Ethan says he is going to see a friend, and we see him walking along the docks. When he gets to the top of the yacht, there is a tall, blonde-haired man standing there that hands him a blindfold (if I recall correctly). That's him.

Really? Ok, I have seen him.
    He played a great villain in TLD, if my memory serves me correct. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the scenes he was in.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    He played a great villain in TLD, if my memory serves me correct. I haven't seen it in a while, but I remember the scenes he was in.

Was he one of Koskov's boys? One of the enemies coming to the MI6 country house, or one of the guys in Afghanistan in the huge plane scene? Any of those at all?
    He played Necros, no ? with the exploding milk bottles ?
    Game Change

Very good political movie about the 2008 US Presidential Campaing, with great performances by Julianne Moore and Ed Harris. It focuses on Palin, the Republican strategy and the new competition dynamics that Obama lauched.
    If you like to study politics as I do, you will enjoy, otherwise, I don't know.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Prometheus

It was alright but um I think I need to watch it again to really clarify what type of film it is. However, it's not as epic or as ground breaking as expected.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    doubleoego wrote:
    Prometheus

It was alright but um I think I need to watch it again to really clarify what type of film it is. However, it's not as epic or as ground breaking as expected.

Upon second viewing, you might get more into the film. I know I absolutely loved it the second time. ;-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I've just had a double-bill. Two very different films, first up...

Fertile Ground (2011)

fground.jpg

I knew nothing about this film, other than it being a horror film. After suffering a miscarriage, married couple Nate and Emily Weaver move into a secluded house Nate has just inherited. When a human skulll is found under the house, a series of events is triggerd that doesn't end well.
    More than anything about the film, I was impressed with the performance of Leisha Hailey whom carries the film from start to finish. I'd like to see more of her, a Ti West film prehaps? I spent a good portion of the film trying to think where i'd seen her before, then it hit me, it's not where i'd seen her, but the uncanny resemblance she has to a young Genevieve Bujold.
    It may not be likely to go down as a favourite on many horror fans lists, but still worth a watch.

And...

The Artist (2011)

1205-LRAINER-The-Artist_full_600.jpg

This was a good film, but I did have one gripe. I didn't see this film because of the hype, but because I knew that Penelope Ann Miller was in it, so I did feel a bit let down to find that she really didn't have much screentime. Also, that little Jack Russell, Uggie, was wonderfull, he stole every scene he was in.

Penelope Ann Miller
    1. The Shadow (1994)
    2. The Relic (1997)
    3. The Gun In Betty Lou's Handbag (1992)
    4. Adventures In Babysitting (1987)
    **5. The Artist (2011) NE**
    6. The Deal (2006)
    7. Killing Moon (2000)
    8. Personal Effects (2005)
    9. The Messengers (2007)
    10. Kindergarten Cop (1990)
    11. Scared Silent (2002)
    12. Blonde Ambition (2007)
    edited June 2012 Posts: 28,694
    To commemorate the wonderful birthday of Marilyn Monroe, I watched Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Some Like It Hot, How To Marry A Millionaire, and Niagara, and also watched Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Marilyn lights up the screen, and I have a smile on my face every single time I see her, no matter what she is doing in the scene. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is a great comedy, with Marilyn showing off just how great her singing and dancing is, and Jane Russell as a brilliant on-screen partner in crime to her. Some Like It Hot is an absolute comedy classic, and everyone is on their top game. The film is one of the most hilarious films I have seen, and it is amazing how dark some of the events surrounding the comedy is, but the film pulls it all off without a hitch. How To Marry A Millionaire was the stinker of the pack, and I just felt underwhelmed by it. That may be because a good portion of the former films I watched involved women chasing men for their money, and at this point it went sour, who knows. Lauren Bacall is great, and is really the lead in this one, with Marilyn sadly being demoted to much smaller on-screen appearance. I don't enjoy it like the others simply because Marilyn is once again put in the place of a dumb blonde, which I never enjoy seeing, because I know just how brilliant she was behind all of her dumb-blonde roles. Niagara is very impressive, and one of my favorite Marilyn pictures due to the simple fact that she plays a much darker role than she was accustomed to. The first shots of her barely covered up in bed, lips ruby red, just shows how incredibly beautiful she was, and a great noir tone flows throughout the film that has many surprises. The only major fault isn't even with any of the actors. It's the music. This film seems like a Hitchcock tribute, with really suspenseful shots, but when tensions are highest, there is no music playing to really build tension in the scene. The rarity in this film is that
    Marilyn's character, Rose, actually dies.
    All in all, what a beauty, what a talent, and she will never failed to please me. My favorite classic actress, and it isn't hard to see why. I love the person she was behind all the fame, and that is where her true brilliance comes. So, Happy Birthday to you Marilyn, I wish they made women like you these days.

Now on to Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol, which I thought about putting in, shrugged my shoulders, said "well, I already watched a bunch of films today", so I popped it in. I still love it, but I see more and more faults when I put it in. Some things don't add up in the film, and I scratch my head wondering why the character did this or that, or why an event had to happen. I will learn more about it as time goes on and I get numerous more re-watches in, but the real Achille's heel of this one is the villain, who had potential. If there would have been better explanation and presentation of his plot and some more background accompanied with some scenes demonstrating his evil disposition and I'd be sold, but there is simply too little here to satisfy me regarding Hendricks.

5 films, 24 hours, fun times.
    Just watched 28 Weeks later. Not a bad sequel, but the original was better. Robert Carlyle and Jeremy Renner are in it.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I really love Robert Carlyle: Can anyone recommend more of his films for me? I have only seen him in The Full Monty (great!) and TWINE; I do not think I have seen him in much else.
    @4EverBonded I totally suggest 'Trainspotting' !! Carlyle is absolutly hilarious in that one !!

And I watched Cage's 'Bad Lieutenant' tonight.... very good film ! Cage was epic !!
    @4EverBonded I totally suggest 'Trainspotting' !! Carlyle is absolutly hilarious in that one !!

And I watched Cage's 'Bad Lieutenant' tonight.... very good film ! Cage was epic !!

Nic can pull off any role where he is an absolute crazy maniac, and those are his best performances. Coincidence? I think not! Case in point: