Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Superman 3 is genuinely funny, and infinitely better than Quest for Peace of Crap.
    Definitely. At least S3 has production value.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    And Richard Pryor. I prefer him as comic release to Sheriff Pepper in Superman II.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 4,813
    Even as a little kid it annoyed me when Richard Pryor ripped open his shirt, when it made ZERO sense to do so

ff562f_9741a5df9a9a45848f59fd49af334d32.jpg

Um.... did you see Clark Kent do that?? 8-|

But as you said, as bad as the movie is, at least it is funny in parts. And Evil Superman looked like a badass- I was almost disappointed when the bright colored, do-gooder came back!

Angry_Superman.jpg

I'd love a whole movie with just him vandalizing stuff around the world

Another good thing about 3: 1 & 2 were filmed approximately the same time, when Reeve was fit, but not huge-- and by the time part IV came around he probably thought he was done with the role, and looked more 'average joe'. But in III.... damn, he was BUFF.

Part I & II: "I'm Kryptonian, I don't need that much muscle!"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6R46g8G7Tr2fpfhnOyEgBgIkV5gmq02g-aOQQHsImsBg6nzF3

Part IV: "(sigh) They threatened to kill my dog if I didn't do this movie"

sup4_lex.jpg

Part III: "Know why Gene Hackman isn't in this one? Cause he's a scared little BITCH"

c9abcb002f4fcb636748bfe0e27b8a81.jpg

If he didn't already look like the comic book come to life, he sure as hell did in part III
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,269
    Ponyo (2008) and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984). Ponyo, while being the most childish of Miyazaki's films, was still a delight. While not bad, Nausicaa is actually my least favorite of Miyazaki's works; I just felt like it was a little preachy in its anti-war themes. I like the anti-war theme, but I think the film drove it into the ground a little too far. Still a good movie otherwise; Miyazaki can't make a bad movie...
    Birdleson wrote: »
    My favorite film from Gibli Studios is not directed by Miyazaki. It is THE GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES (1988) directed by Isao Takahata. A wonderful movie.

@Birdleson I've heard it's very good. Do you like Miyazaki films? If so which do you like most?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I like them well enough, but to be honest they kind of all blend together for me. And for that reason they don't stay with me. My favorite would probably be PRINCESS MONONOKE.

That's a great pick. My personal second favorite. I'll post a full ranking when I watch Porco Rosso and The Wind Rises.
    Indeed, I'll have to see that one soon. I finished all of Miyazaki's films, now going to rank them with some explanations.

11. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
    I don't dislike this film; it's simply my least favorite Miyazaki film. For some reason it just didn't grip me like his other work. As I said in a previous post, I thought the anti-war theme went a little too far with how often the protagonist spoke about it. I like anti-war films, but this one could be a little gratuitous. I also thought the characters weren't as great as they are in other Miyazaki films. This is still far from a bad movie; most of the other details are pretty solid.
    10. Ponyo (2008)
    Though it's the most childish Miyazaki film, Ponyo is still plenty fun for everyone. Most can agree it belongs near the bottom when ranking his films, but Miyazaki still delivers a nice, fantastical tale here. It's just not as amazing as most of his other work.
    9. Castle in the Sky (1986)
    I might get hate for having this so low; from what I've seen, this one is pretty beloved. I think Castle in the Sky is a magnificent adventure film, and the only main complaint I have is that it felt a little long near the end. Placing a film this good so low goes to show how great of a director Miyazaki is.
    8. The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
    Miyazaki's first film is funny, action-packed, and thrilling the whole way through. This is usually the film I see ranked last, or at least near the bottom, when I find Miyazaki rankings. I really had a good time with this one, and I definitely plan on seeing it again.
    7. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
    It's hard for me to describe why I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle so much. I think the beautiful animation was one part, and so was the voice acting. It is one of the weirdest of Miyazaki's films (that's saying something, too), and the plot isn't the sturdiest of his movies either, but most of it just works out for me really well.
    6. Porco Rosso (1992)
    This one is borderline Top 5 (might be promoted in the future) for me. Porco Rosso is simply a blast; Michael Keaton is perfect as the lead, the other characters are plenty interesting, and the action is simply spectacular! This film is just a lot of fun - a great movie for some pure escapism.
    5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
    Kiki's Delivery Service is extremely simple and doesn't offer a super deep story, but it is one of the most wonderfully executed coming-of-age films I've seen. The characters are all very lively, and the experiences feel very relatable in some way or another. It's also much less weird than many of Miyazaki's films, if you're looking for something more grounded.
    4. The Wind Rises (2013)
    What a fantastic way to cap off an amazing career. The Wind Rises was really the perfect way for Miyazaki to end his run; I love that this film is just a straight-up drama without the fantasy elements of all his other movies. Most kids won't take a lot of pleasure in this film, which is Miyazaki's most adult-geared title. It's a very sweet, sentimental film, and no doubt one of the director's greatest. A shame Frozen won Best Animated Picture over this masterpiece.
    3. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
    It was hard to pick between this and The Wind Rises, but for now I'll give the edge to this iconic classic. My Neighbor Totoro just wonderfully captures early childhood, and it leaves me feeling like a happy kid again. A great film for anyone of any age.
    2. Princess Mononoke (1997)
    Princess Mononoke is an epic fantasy, kind of like the Lord of the Rings of animation. It's also not for younger audiences, featuring the most violent imagery of Miyazaki's catalog. It offers some great environmental and anti-war messages, while still boasting an extremely entertaining story and some amazing characters. This is a must-watch for any film lover.
    1. Spirited Away (2001)
    Call it predictable, call it unoriginal, but Spirited Away is my favorite of all the Miyazaki films, and also one of my favorite films ever. The story is terrific, the music is fantastic, the animation and scenery is incredible, but the greatest aspect is the characters. Every character has so much personality and energy that it makes you interested in everyone. This film is just fantastic; I look forward to watching it many more times in the future.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Indeed, I'll have to see that one soon. I finished all of Miyazaki's films, now going to rank them with some explanations.

11. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)
    I don't dislike this film; it's simply my least favorite Miyazaki film. For some reason it just didn't grip me like his other work. As I said in a previous post, I thought the anti-war theme went a little too far with how often the protagonist spoke about it. I like anti-war films, but this one could be a little gratuitous. I also thought the characters weren't as great as they are in other Miyazaki films. This is still far from a bad movie; most of the other details are pretty solid.
    10. Ponyo (2008)
    Though it's the most childish Miyazaki film, Ponyo is still plenty fun for everyone. Most can agree it belongs near the bottom when ranking his films, but Miyazaki still delivers a nice, fantastical tale here. It's just not as amazing as most of his other work.
    9. Castle in the Sky (1986)
    I might get hate for having this so low; from what I've seen, this one is pretty beloved. I think Castle in the Sky is a magnificent adventure film, and the only main complaint I have is that it felt a little long near the end. Placing a film this good so low goes to show how great of a director Miyazaki is.
    8. The Castle of Cagliostro (1979)
    Miyazaki's first film is funny, action-packed, and thrilling the whole way through. This is usually the film I see ranked last, or at least near the bottom, when I find Miyazaki rankings. I really had a good time with this one, and I definitely plan on seeing it again.
    7. Howl's Moving Castle (2004)
    It's hard for me to describe why I enjoyed Howl's Moving Castle so much. I think the beautiful animation was one part, and so was the voice acting. It is one of the weirdest of Miyazaki's films (that's saying something, too), and the plot isn't the sturdiest of his movies either, but most of it just works out for me really well.
    6. Porco Rosso (1992)
    This one is borderline Top 5 (might be promoted in the future) for me. Porco Rosso is simply a blast; Michael Keaton is perfect as the lead, the other characters are plenty interesting, and the action is simply spectacular! This film is just a lot of fun - a great movie for some pure escapism.
    5. Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)
    Kiki's Delivery Service is extremely simple and doesn't offer a super deep story, but it is one of the most wonderfully executed coming-of-age films I've seen. The characters are all very lively, and the experiences feel very relatable in some way or another. It's also much less weird than many of Miyazaki's films, if you're looking for something more grounded.
    4. The Wind Rises (2013)
    What a fantastic way to cap off an amazing career. The Wind Rises was really the perfect way for Miyazaki to end his run; I love that this film is just a straight-up drama without the fantasy elements of all his other movies. Most kids won't take a lot of pleasure in this film, which is Miyazaki's most adult-geared title. It's a very sweet, sentimental film, and no doubt one of the director's greatest. A shame Frozen won Best Animated Picture over this masterpiece.
    3. My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
    It was hard to pick between this and The Wind Rises, but for now I'll give the edge to this iconic classic. My Neighbor Totoro just wonderfully captures early childhood, and it leaves me feeling like a happy kid again. A great film for anyone of any age.
    2. Princess Mononoke (1997)
    Princess Mononoke is an epic fantasy, kind of like the Lord of the Rings of animation. It's also not for younger audiences, featuring the most violent imagery of Miyazaki's catalog. It offers some great environmental and anti-war messages, while still boasting an extremely entertaining story and some amazing characters. This is a must-watch for any film lover.
    1. Spirited Away (2001)
    Call it predictable, call it unoriginal, but Spirited Away is my favorite of all the Miyazaki films, and also one of my favorite films ever. The story is terrific, the music is fantastic, the animation and scenery is incredible, but the greatest aspect is the characters. Every character has so much personality and energy that it makes you interested in everyone. This film is just fantastic; I look forward to watching it many more times in the future.

Nice list, really like your top 3
    And i was also very dissapointed with Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,151
    Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

Oh dear. From the wonderful start in Superman: The Movie and followed greatly by Superman 2, the quality really dropped from then on, all the way to this monstrosity. A movie from the Cannon Film Group, who had bought the franchise following the disappointing Superman 3. Destined to fail from the beginning, poorly executed opening credits, where they tried to bring back the feel of the original credits and failed miserably, to the duplicated scenes of Superman flying “towards the camera” and the low budget location to be used as Metropolis (an industrial estate in Milton Keynes far from the best location and a discreetly placed fire hydrant does not make it any better). To be fair, getting Gene Hackman, Margot Kidder, Jackie Cooper and Mark McClure back for this was an achievement I guess (can’t say Reeve as he co-wrote the movie) and the casting of the lovely Mariel Hemingway was quite welcome but they don’t save this movie. A disaster from start to finish really and I am struggling to think of anything of note that I enjoyed about it. Reeve was always great as Superman so there is one saving grace.

It’s a shame that the franchise went this way and I am still waiting for that next, great Superman movie as the “……. Returns” and “Man of Steel” don’t give great confidence.
    Saw the first 30 minutes of Mission Impossible Rogue Nation and was reminded again how amazing Mcquarrie is and how every shot seems to be filled with Drama Action and Excitement and is my personal favorite film of 2015 (I haven't seen Run All Night or Taken 3 but I highly doubt either of those will knock rogue nation off) Seeing one more 2015 released film Sisters tonight with my wife. Not thrilled but seeing as I know I am dragging my wife to Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice in March I think I can suffer through a Tina Fey Amy Poeher Comedy (and I use that term loosely)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Risico007, I've yet to see 'Run All Night,' but I saw some snippets of 'Taken 3' and I can assure you, it won't knock RN off your list, that's for sure.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47's opinion of me will greatly diminish when he learns I very much enjoy all 3 'Taken' and 3 'Expendables' films. :(
    @DaltonCraig007, I loved the first 'Taken,' it's a very solid movie and one of my go-to action flicks. 'Taken 2' was garbage (mostly due to the rather outlandish story and the horribly awful and unforgivable directing and editing). Thankfully, they brought the same director back for the third (for reasons unknown - I suppose it's because reviews are irrelevant and the second movie made a ton of cash) and he ruined it with more of his awful editing. Didn't even see the whole thing, sat through a fight between Neeson and a cop, I believe, and it told me all I needed to know.

I really enjoy the first two 'Expendables' movies, they're also very entertaining. The third one, however, was also ruined by the PG-13 rating, and thus, the post-editing they had to do. Plus, the 'new' and 'younger' cast they tried to assimilate into the group was a horrible misstep, when it should've been about the Expendables the whole time. Hopefully the fourth one is a real hard R with Jackie Chan and/or Pierce Brosnan in it somehow, as previously rumored.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Creasy47 I agree that Taken 1 is far above the 2 sequels, and Expendables 3 far below the other 2 outings, but they manage to entertain me, somehow. I think I'm an easy guy to please. :D
    Last night I watched Orson Welles' "The Lady From Shanghai" from 1947, a very nice thriller. The end has similiarities with the Scaramanga's Fun House sequence. Interesting.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Ant-Man

Actually pretty enjoyable/entertaining. Paul Rudd as a superhero seemed odd but I thought it was done pretty well.

7 out of 10
    I thought the opening to the third 'Expendables' was a really awesome idea: from what I remember, isn't it some high speed armored train that the guys assault on foot/with guns and via helicopter, just to rescue a prisoner and then they smash the train into a castle or something wild like that? I also remember the finale being promising, too, it's just that the editing killed me. Now that it's out on blu-ray, is there some director's/unrated cut that fixes the editing and lack of damage/gore?
    'Straight Outta Compton'

Terrific movie; I love the fact that Ice Cube's actual son played him in the movie, helped with the likeness and voice and whatnot. The rest of the acting and directing was phenomenal, with pacing that was very well done for a three hour movie.
    Despicable Me (2010). This movie is really a treat for everyone; for me, one of the best animated films of the decade by far.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Birdleson, what exactly about the film do you find heavy? I haven't seen Room yet but I always appreciate your opinion so I don't mind learning a bit about the film from you before I give it a try myself.
    Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1956). First time watch. Excellent...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Invasion Of The Bodysnatchers (1956). First time watch. Excellent...
    So much better than the remakes.
    It really is.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Thunderfinger, @Shark_Of_Largo

While I truly like the Don Diegel original, I don't think any of the Body Snatcher films is better than the Phillip Kaufman 1978 remake. That film is so much darker and scarier than the '56 film IMO.

@Birdleson

Ok, thank you. :)
    Super 8 (2011) Not what i expected it to be, suddenly turned in to a monster movie.

Trick 'r treat (2007) Fairly enjoyable, but i really didn't care for the last 20 minutes.

The Game (1997) Very engaging, but ruined a bit by the ending, for me at least

Legend (2015) Good performance by Hardy, the story however not so interesting

Black Mass (2015) Once again good performances, but a bit of a messy story (hard to keep track on all the characters)

Con Air (1997) Enjoyed this one quite a bit, stupid fun action

Escape from New York (1981) Entertaining enough, but it felt a bit dated and cheap.

Big trouble in little China (1986) Not my cup of tea.

They Live (1988) "Chew bubblegum and kick ass" Very silly story, but lots of fun!
  • Escape from New York (1981) Entertaining enough, but it felt a bit dated and cheap.

Big trouble in little China (1986) Not my cup of tea.
    Give Escape from LA a chance- the plot is literally identical and the budget is enormous compared to NY. I'm in the minority (because EFNY is considered a cult classic) but I found EFLA much more enjoyable.

We're on the exact same page on Big Trouble in Little China. I saw it for the first time ever last year, after hearing how 'great' it was from everyone I know. Maybe I should have seen it as a kid, and had the nostalgia to help, but seeing it as an adult for the first time, I thought it was just about the dumbest movie ever!
    Sisters sadly the film was a bland comedy and not very funny at all.

I might see joy this weekend however I am near positive I will be seeing Risen in febuary (as stated before I am a Christian) and in March Batman v Superman. Dead pool is a maybe for me
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, interesting film for its historic value, art direction and have fun with interpretations.
    IMHO, to make a long story short and judging from the ending scenes, they're all crazy, from the unreliable narrator who turns the presumably harmless Cesare into a mind-controlled maniac to Dr. Caligari himself: a madman running a madhouse. My personal theory is that both the protagonist and Cesare are shellshocked veterans of war, judging for the screenwriter,s background story.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Blind Date was freakin' hilarious.
    Sadly underrated movie from master Blake Edwards: John Larroquette steals the spotlight in every scene he's in, and Kim Basinger was starting to show she was more than a mannequin. Bruce Willis is an excellent comical actor, no secret, but many people still watches him as simple action hero.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Give Escape from LA a chance- the plot is literally identical and the budget is enormous compared to NY. I'm in the minority (because EFNY is considered a cult classic) but I found EFLA much more enjoyable.
    I'm with you there, sir!
    =D>
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,009
    chrisisall wrote: »
    I'm with you there, sir!
    =D>
    Make that two.