Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Five years after its release, I finally have come to see Dream House, yes the one with Daniel Craig. What I cannot comprehend is how critically it's panned. Why? It's not a perfect film, but it's more than just an average thriller. Craig's acting was brilliant as well as the rest of the cast.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Woman of straw.

Bloody hell, Connery was on top form in this. This man was the definition of manly charm and excessive sex appeal. Turned out to be a complete bastard though. His uncle though, one of the most vile characters committed in cinema.

Yes, I watched this for the first time about a month ago after seeing it mentioned on the boards. It is a great film and Connery is at the top of his game. The director, and Connery, do a beautiful job of using his immense charm and appeal to make him a real bastard.

As I was watching this film, I was both amazed at the supreme effortlessness and undeniable credibility Connery brought as an actor and was also full of regret that the Bond films began to fail Connery by stuffing his movies with gadgets and OTT silliness when they should have relied on story and character because that was one hell of a captivating performance. One thing's for sure they don't make films like these anymore.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    45 Years

Superb performances by Rampling and Courtney (especially the former). As a huge fan of Charlotte Rampling, I have thoroughly enjoyed all the award talks surrounding her performance. Shame about the BAFTA nomination, but there is still the Oscars.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Experiment In Terror
    Blake Edwards

003.jpg

Excellent suspense thriller, released in 1962. Glenn Ford and Ross Martin are excellent. Lee Remick, beautiful as ever, gives a very convincing portrayal. I love this movie.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Experiment In Terror
    Blake Edwards

003.jpg

Excellent suspense thriller, released in 1962. Glenn Ford and Ross Martin are excellent. Lee Remick, beautiful as ever, gives a very convincing portrayal. I love this movie.

Loved Glenn Ford in The Big Heat (1953) and Gilda (1946).

The Lobster 2015

Some bond people in this one, Lea Seydoux, Ben Wishaw and Mrs Bond herself, Raquel Welch. Very interesting at the start, but as the movie went on it ran out of ideas.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Experiment In Terror
    Blake Edwards

003.jpg

I saw that on TV when I was a kid! Yeah, it was creepin' me out I remember. I have to see it again NOW!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You should, @chrisisall. It's a very good film. Clifton James is in it too. :)
    When I think Blake Edwards, I usually think Peter Sellers, comedy and Mancini. This time, it's only Mancini. Ford reminds me a lot of Robert Forster in Jackie Brown. He has this soothing aura around him.
    Blind Date was freakin' hilarious.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I rented Experiment in Terror on VHS some time late 80s or early 90s. Excellent film, and if I remember correctly unexpected ending.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I've got the Hateful Eight booked for Wednesday with my Wife, it will be the standard cinema version and I can't wait.

My vinyl soundtrack for the film arrived a few days ago and I gave it a spin yesterday. I have to say I've been anticipating this coming out for sometime like all QT soundtracks but this one was that more because it was not only his first proper commissioned score but the fact it was Ennio Morirconie.

EM is responsible for one of my all time favourite scores Once Upon A Time In America (which I also have on vinyl) and the thought of him working with Tarantino was always going to be a treat and I have to say he doesn't disappoint.

It has been said though this isn't your usual EM western sound like say the dollars trilogy this actually shares more in common with segments of his Untouchables score and of course The Thing which Ennio incorporated some of the work Carpenter didn't use in his film as part of his H8 score.

I can't wait to hear this with the film and it's got such a tense feel to it and reoccurring motif is classic Morriconie.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Duel by Spielberg starring Dennis Weaver. This is the first time I've seen the uncut version, and widescreen to boot. Awesome movie. Every little detail is there- all of Spielberg's bag of tricks dumped into his first feature.

I love that film.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 5,809
    At the time I watched this movie, I didn't realize that the villain was played by Ross Martin. Who knew that Artemus Gordon could be such a chilling villain ?

Just watched Gamera vs. Viras. The start of the badass decay for the big friendly (to children) turtle. Lots of stock footage from the first three movies. Although the two kid heores are not as annoying as in other movies of this kind, it's still obvious that Gamera vs. Viras was intended to be watched by children. One interesting thing, though : in the Gojira series (well, the movies that I've seen), the American occupation troops are notably absent, it's not the case in the Gamera series which, although understandably putting the focus on japanese heroes, at least aknowledges the US contribution, going so far as to have an american boy-scout from a US troop (truth in television : there were american, british and french scouts and guides in Germany for close to fifty years after World War II). Of course, he's a bit stereotyped (his expertise with a lasso comes in handy near the end).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE

I thought this was a girls movie, but surprisingly I liked it. So it is not.

It is the excellent cast that really sells this film.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    CRAZY, STUPID, LOVE

I thought this was a girls movie, but surprisingly I liked it. So it is not.

It is the excellent cast that really sells this film.

That film has a great soundtrack.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I've got the Hateful Eight booked for Wednesday with my Wife, it will be the standard cinema version and I can't wait.

My vinyl soundtrack for the film arrived a few days ago and I gave it a spin yesterday. I have to say I've been anticipating this coming out for sometime like all QT soundtracks but this one was that more because it was not only his first proper commissioned score but the fact it was Ennio Morirconie.

EM is responsible for one of my all time favourite scores Once Upon A Time In America (which I also have on vinyl) and the thought of him working with Tarantino was always going to be a treat and I have to say he doesn't disappoint.

It has been said though this isn't your usual EM western sound like say the dollars trilogy this actually shares more in common with segments of his Untouchables score and of course The Thing which Ennio incorporated some of the work Carpenter didn't use in his film as part of his H8 score.

I can't wait to hear this with the film and it's got such a tense feel to it and reoccurring motif is classic Morriconie.

I bet that vinyl is beautiful, and the unused work from 'The Thing' being incorporated into parts of the score was brilliant.
    Just came back from Hateful 8 and really enjoyed it. Great performances and genuinely kept my attention. Be prepared though as its another long one (in the screening I attended there was an interval).
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Just came back from Hateful 8 and really enjoyed it. Great performances and genuinely kept my attention. Be prepared though as its another long one (in the screening I attended there was an interval).

I take it you saw the 70MM version, then? If so, what're your thoughts, and tell me some of your favorite scenes in spoilers! I'm in love with this movie and I haven't had the chance to talk to too many people about it yet.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Sam Jackson's speech about what happened to the old man's son was a definite highlight.
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    @mepal1

Hostel was great!
    It was sick.
    @-)
    I'll never forget seeing Hostel opening night in college- my roommate and I brought a female friend of ours, who I wouldn't go so far as to call her sheltered, but was definitely more on the 'innocent' end of the typical college girl.
    We both figured it would be a typical run of the mill scary movie- man were we wrong... So many naked women; so much gore.
    We felt, SO bad, for bringing her X_X

Fortunately she had a good sense of humor about it, and found our guilt more entertaining than the movie, lol
    Valley girl cause my wife loves the film it's not bad.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    The Man From Nowhere (2010)

This became one of my all time favorite movies from the first time I saw it. It never fails to make my heart pump at 300 beats per minute. Won Bin as the main character gives a physical and badass performance that most actors from Hollywood would only dream of giving. The action scenes just blow out of the water and into Mars' orbit anything that came outside of South Korea in recent decades. The final battle is amongst the top 5 best scenes I've had the pleasure of witnessing. Few movies are worth a 11/10 rating. This is one of them.
    The Man From Nowhere (2010)

This became one of my all time favorite movies from the first time I saw it. It never fails to make my heart pump at 300 beats per minute. Won Bin as the main character gives a physical and badass performance that most actors from Hollywood would only dream of giving. The action scenes just blow out of the water and into Mars' orbit anything that came outside of South Korea in recent decades. The final battle is amongst the top 5 best scenes I've had the pleasure of witnessing. Few movies are worth a 11/10 rating. This is one of them.

Great, great movie, this one. I loved it.

You know what I've been in the mood for lately, @DaltonCraig007? 'I Saw The Devil.' I have it on blu-ray, and it's fantastic.
    @Creasy47 I rewatched 'I Saw The Devil' a few weeks ago. That film is insane. Lee Byung Hun is one of favorite actors ever since I discovered him in 'The Good, The Bad, The Weird'. That guy is a force of nature, he is 45 years old and has the body of a fit 25 years old guy.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 11,189
    Hmm...favourite scenes. Well off the top of my head:
    The scene when Jackson talks about No, dogs, No Mexicans" was a good one for me

and..
    anything with Tim Roth putting on that laughably bad English accent

...and
    the scene when Kurt Russell dies. I didn't think he'd go quite as early as that.

Birdleson wrote: »
    The funny thing is, until I read your post I didn't realize hat was Tim Roth. I got it in my head that that was Christoph Waltz in heavy make-up.

He did seem to be doing a bit of a Christoph Waltz thing at first.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    Birdleson wrote: »
    The funny thing is, until I read your post I didn't realize hat was Tim Roth. I got it in my head that that was Christoph Waltz in heavy make-up.

He did seem to be doing a bit of a Christoph Waltz thing at first.

He heavily mirrored Waltz's Dr. Schultz for me: the facial hair, the attire, the overly giddy, slightly flamboyant attitude at times.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,269
    More Miyazaki: Howl's Moving Castle (2004) and The Castle of Cagliostro (1979). Although they're not his greatest works, these are still two very entertaining, well-done films. His film debut, Cagliostro, is funny, action-packed, and remarkably different from all his work with Studio Ghibli. Howl's Moving Castle is a sweeping fantasy, packed with colorful characters and an interesting romance. I've now seen 6 of Miyazaki's 11 films, and have been impressed or blown away by them all.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Superman: The Movie and Superman 2. Both brilliant and superhero movies that others are yet to match.
    Superman: The Movie and Superman 2. Both brilliant and superhero movies that others are yet to match.
    For sheer entertainment I don't think they ever will be matched. But Batman (1989), Iron Man & Captain America: Winter Soldier come reasonably close for me.