Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Snowpiercer

Watched it earlier this year and loved it. Watched it again and I still do. One of the best post-apocalyptic films ever made.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Rise of the planet of the apes:
    I really enjoyed this film ( loved the older ones too) the effects are amazing
    and totally believable, good story and they even managed to slip in a few lines
    from the original movie " It's a madhouse " and " Get your hands off me you
    Damn dirty ape !" 
    I enjoyed this better than the next movie.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 5,774
    Gamera vs. Gyaos, one of the best entry in the series. All right, we get the annoying kid again, but this time, he has some good ideas about how to defeat the tiular pterodactyl (who in flight looks like a jet plane, curiously enough). Nice movie for Kaiju fans. Too bad we won't see the match of the millennium, Godzilla vs. Gamera. Although everything is possible, isn't it ?

• quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    My final film of 2015 was Woody Allen's masterpiece 'Broadway Danny Rose'. It was also my final film of 2014. And 2013. And 2012. And... Well, you get the picture. Don't know why I always watch this particular Woody classic every New Years Eve - I just do.
    Mad Max: Fury Road (2015)
    One of the best films I've seen this year. I have no familiarity with the Mad Max franchise, having never seen any of the previous films, but that didn't stop me from enjoying this one. A tremendous effort by director George Miller, keeping the excitement and tension up for 2+ hours, almost all of which is a big, continuous action sequence that dwarfs anything else the action genre has put forth this year. My only disappointment with the film, and calling it a disappointment is hardly fair, is that Mel Gibson isn't on hand to continue on with the franchise. Someone needs to give Mel another shot, even if it's just to play a villain so they can capitalize on the (justified) ill will he's generated for himself. Still, Tom Hardy is his usual excellent self in the lead role and he's surrounded by a terrific supporting cast including Charlize Theron and Nicholas Hoult, both of whom are very good in their roles.

American Ultra (2015)
    I was very much looking forward to this one, having thoroughly enjoyed the previous collaboration between Jesse Eisenberg and Kristen Stewart. This one didn't disappoint, even if it doesn't quite reach the level of quality of their previous effort, Adventureland.

Eisenberg is good as a stoner who finds out he's a sleeper agent for the CIA. He, and his girlfriend (Stewart), are targeted for elimination by Topher Grace's insufferable villain who I've already forgotten the name of. They do a good job of getting you to root for Eisenberg and Stewart, because you desperately want to see Grace's character get his in the end, as he's just, as I already said, insufferable, a combination of all of the worst traits of the various Topher Grace characters we've seen on the screen over the years.

As I already said, Eisenberg is good, as he always is. Stewart is fantastic, grounding the film and providing a very good performance, one that shows she's not the one-trick pony that everyone wants to peg her as after the dreadful Twilight films.
    I've seen the Force Awakens today, and I think it's the third Star Wars film after ANH and TESB. Great job overall.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Angels and Demons (2009)

I'm currently watching it on 4K blu ray as I type this. I just love this film and always have. It's a geeky thriller with cerebral people spouting intelligent things in a beautiful location while crazy things happen around them and they try to disarm a 'god particle' which can blow up the Vatican.

Nerdy, attractive heroine, professorial hero, superb supporting cast and acting, wonderful location shooting, and excellent, fast paced direction by Ron Howard. It really captures what I want from a thriller. Fantastic, mature dialogue, beautiful to look at and Hans Zimmer kills it with the score. It reminds me so much of early Bond films because I learned something from it (in this case about Vatican laws, Swiss Guard, the Vatican archives etc. etc. like how I used to learn about the world through early Bonds). Ewan McGregor is brilliant in it, as is everyone else, including Tom Hanks, Ayelet Zurer, Stellan Skarsgard, & Armin Mueller-Stahl

Just an all round amazing film imho and I can't wait for Inferno, the sequel, next year.

PS: I have not read the books and so I judge the film purely as entertainment rather than for its adherence to the novels, where I realize it may have taken liberties.
  • The last movie I watched in 2015 was The Force Awakens.
    Not a bad way to finish off the year!

Last movie of 2015/first of 2016 for me is Stonehearst Asylum (2014). Solid movie so far.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Last movie of 2015/first of 2016 for me is Stonehearst Asylum (2014). Solid movie so far.

This was a strange but effective little film.

talos7 wrote: »

This was a strange but effective little film.

After finishing it I would say the first half was stronger, but collectively still a good movie. Would recommend to anyone seeking out a decent asylum/thriller adventure.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Grass Is Greener

The last film I watched in 2015, was a re watch. But the chance the see Robert Mitchum playing a Cary Grant role, in a film opposite Cary Grant, is too much to pass up again.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    The Rocketeer, I love Dalton in this and he seems to be enjoying himself too.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @bondjames, I'll have you know Inferno was already made by Dario Argento in 1980 as the sequel to Suspiria. ;-) Just look at the cover work. :)

But yeah, I'm looking forward to another Brown adaptation. ;-)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Currently watching Dr.No on ITV.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DarthDimi, I looked up the original Inferno and it looks interesting. I'll try and rent it & Suspira if it's available somewhere (I don't have Netflix). I have a soft spot for pre-Scream 70's/ 80's horror.

RE: the Howard adaptation of Dan Brown's Inferno, when I did a wiki search I was surprised to learn that they were planning to release this in December 2015 but unfortunately the TFA juggernaut caused a change in plans - to almost a year later - it's now set for an Oct 2016 release.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited January 2016 Posts: 4,416
    Movies i give 8 in 2015:

Men in Black 3. More serious MIB movie with good humor and good action. Looking forward to MIB 4.
    Avatar (3D Bluray) Over-rated yes. Also i think movie have start up problems.

7.5:

Chronicle. (Directers Cut on BD)

7:

Taken (Re-watch on BD )
    Jack Reacher
    Green Lantern (Later i bought the 3DBD)
    G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (Re-watch on tv)
    G.I. Joe: Retaliation
    Safe Haven
    The Host
    London Boulevard (Bluray)
    Snitch
    Deadfall
    Super 8. Good, but les then i expect.
    Oom Henk. Dutch movie.
    The Rebound
    Parker
    Sergio Herman, Fucking Perfect. Documentry about a Dutch Chef. 1 of 2 movies from 2015 i have seen.
    In the Name of the Father
    Real Steel. Not like the to quike ending.
    The Master
    Black Gold
    Red 2
    Animal Kingdom
    Stolen (Bluray) Underrated. Nice reference to Live and Let Die.
    Trolljegeren (DVD)

Valentino. Dutch movie. - 1,0 for casting choose i don't like.
    Now You See Me (Extented Cut on BD)

6:

Skyfall (Tv premiere. My 3th view)
    Taken 2 (Later i bought BD/DVD) I hope Extented on BD is better.
    Contraband. Panama as Panama this time.
    Quantum of Solace (TV. My 5th view)
    Premium Rush. Disapointed movie and that from the writer of Spider-Man (2002)
    Solitary Man
    Welcome to the Punch
    Afblijven (DVD) Dutch movie. Created setup about chacter who you expect going to be blind, but what complete vergot at the end. Not my choose to watch. It whas in my vacation to Italy.
    Attack the Block. I won 2 cinema tickets, but never go to movie. Now i watched on tv and mabey i expect to much.

Not ranked:

Mamma Mia. (DVD) I haven't seen everthing, because in Switserland the tv go off. It was very Skyfall / rainy day.

Spectre. Stil bissy with my review.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Took my little niece to see animation movie SOLAN & LUDVIG-HERFRA TIL FLÅKLYPA today. It is apparently bigger than Star Wars. It was surprisingly amusing.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    The Grass Is Greener

The last film I watched in 2015, was a re watch. But the chance the see Robert Mitchum playing a Cary Grant role, in a film opposite Cary Grant, is too much to pass up again.

Is that the film in which Maurice Binder provided the main titles?

It is.
    Ah. Cool. That's the film that got Binder the Bond gig. (if memory serves me correctly)
    I read that, too. Haven t seen the film personally.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    The Ten Commandments. I am in no way religious, probably the least of anyone I know, but I appreciate a great movie when I see it.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    royale65 wrote: »
    The Grass Is Greener

Is that the film in which Maurice Binder provided the main titles?

Maurice Binder did indeed provide the titles sequence.
    Thanks Major. If it stars Robert Mitchum and Cary Grant, I may have to check the film out.
    royale65 wrote: »
    Thanks Major. If it stars Robert Mitchum and Cary Grant, I may have to check the film out.

Mitchum & Grant have a dueling scene with pistols, I won't say what happens, but that scene alone is worth watching the film for.
    The Wedding Ringer (2015) Funny film.
    Furious 7 for the second time.

The first time i saw, i left the cinema a bit dissapointed, this time i at least enjoyed it a bit more

• edited January 2016 Posts: 12,243
    Lost in Translation (2003). An effective, low-key drama film with some tremendous acting - particularly by Bill Murray. I especially enjoyed the entire setting of Japan. It's a slow-paced film though, so for those who find that boring, you won't like it as much. Personally, I was interested the whole time for what was going to happen next.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Lost in Translation (2003). An effective, low-key drama film with some tremendous acting - particularly by Bill Murray. I especially enjoyed the entire setting of Japan. It's a slow-paced film though, so for those who find that boring, you won't like it as much. Personally, I was interested the whole time for what was going to happen next.
    Yes, I quite liked it. How about our Japan operative @4EverBonded?