Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I think it's made the movie sadder.

This is also possible. More intense and more emotional. This was me and my first viewing of 'Full Metal Jacket.'
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,249
    Inside Out was great; Pixar's best in years.
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 12,249
    Accidental double post
    Watched Star Wars the Force awakens and really liked it, it is an lesson even for George Lucas how to make a decent Star Wars.

And Spielberg better hurry up with Indy 5, Harrison still got it.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Crows Zero (2007)

Absolutely fantastic Japanese action film. Tons of fighting sequences, a huge band of badass characters, and thrilling directing from Takashi Miike. The movie barely lets you catch your breath between each fight. I didn't see the 2 hours go by.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    <center><font color = red size = 4>DD's 30 GUILTY PLEASURE FILMS</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 4>part 7/30</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance (2012)</font></center>

Ghost-Rider-Spirit-of-Vengance-Starring-Nic-Cage-Review.jpg

Another Marvel movie? Yes, and one that deserves way more recognition than it's gotten so far. The 2007 film Ghost Rider came right before the kick-off of Marvel's biggest enterprise ever: the Avengers initiative, starting with Iron Man in 2008. Nic Cage, who reportedly is a huge GR fan, finally starred in a superhero film. (We all know about Superman Lives I guess, but it would seem that almost every other big superhero role was at one point offered to or desired by Cage.) Despite Ghost Rider being a modest financial success, the sequel kept us waiting for some time. The same year we got The Dark Knight Rises, Marvel's The Avengers and The Amazing Spider-Man, the Rider would return to the big screen under the Marvel Knights label (same as Punisher War Zone). Ghost Rider: Spirit Of Vengeance more or less ignores the events of the previous film. It opens with a prologue, retelling Johnny Blaze's story, how he made a deal with the demon Roarke and turned into the flaming skull. You can watch this movie without having ever seen the first one.

Superdemon Roarke is getting a bit long in the tooth, or at least his current body, property of Ciarán Hinds, is. Luckily, a young boy named Danny will offer him a new physical vessel soon, that is unless an obscure cult of priests with writings all over their faces, led by Highlander Christopher Lambert himself, gets it their way. They send out a restless, perpetually drunk Idris Elba to find the Ghost Rider, the only one capable of fighting the fires of Hell with the fires of the Flaming Skull. Enter Nicholas Cage, who can do a few amazing things on screen like going loony-bin nuts and pissing fire.

Though we have another superhero story written by David S. Goyer, this film really is its own thing. What else did you expect with Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor (N/T) directing? Confession time: I LOVE N/T. These guys gave me the Crank films and Gamer, all of which I have sincere love for. Their crazy, outrageous, heavy metal way of doing things is a blast. Like having some superspicy chilli peppers with twelve cans of Red Bull, your senses will be abused. Loud, fast and weird, a N/T movie is fascinating in every possible way. I wouldn't let these guys anywhere near a Bond film, but for a blazing Ghost Rider film, they were the right choice!

Sadly, Spirit Of Vengeance took a lot of beating from critics who failed to recognise the pure wacko fun this film has to offer. This is the bubble gum equivalent of the more acclaimed Marvel superhero stuff; this is pure caffeine! And I'm riding with it. Funny edits, cool fights and Nic Cage freaking out at one point, this is the GR movie I've been waiting for. Sure, the writing isn't very impressive, the stakes aren't very high and some of the acting could have been better. But a N/T film isn't about that. It's about cranking up the volume to eleven and joining the joyride without seatbelts. And of course this isn't for everyone. Some people prefer the more relaxed and safer-for-work Marvel stuff, including the first GR or basically anything that doesn't have swearing or Cage being let out of the cage. But for me, Spirit Of Vengeance is another great acid trip full of crazy shots, strange CGI madness and some awesome comedy. Insane as the Hell that brings us the Flaming Skull, but deliciously entertaining, I'm a fan of Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance.

MY GUILTY PLEASURE RANKING
    Great because it's actually not bad.
    Last Action Hero

Great because it's the best acid trip you ever had without acid.
    The Avengers (1998)
    Zardoz
    Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance

Great because it's fun to see people go totally off the rails.
    Showgirls
    Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Great because I just happen to like these things and I'm not too proud to admit it.
    G.I. Joe: The Movie
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2015 Posts: 15,690
    @DarthDimi I saw 'Spirit of Vengeance' about a year ago. I thought I was good for a head examination because I had a total blast watching it. Glad to finally meet someone who enjoyed it too! I saw the first Ghost Rider at the cinema and quite liked it, and I even prefer the sequel!
    @DaltonCraig007, glad you like SOV, sir. :) I saw it in theatres in 3D and even though the 3D was poor, I still had a great time with the movie. Saw it today probably for the 5th time. ;-)
    I just watched 'The Hateful Eight', pretty good film, didn't realize until after i finished watching the film online, that the film hasn't actually been released yet. :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I loved the first Ghost Rider, hated the second.
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,524
    mepal1 wrote: »
    I just watched 'The Hateful Eight', pretty good film, didn't realize until after i finished watching the film online, that the film hasn't actually been released yet. :D

@mepal1, seriously? And you look pretty proud about it too. Not cool, man. And for the record, this forum doesn't support piracy.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @mepal1, seriously? And you look pretty proud about it too. Not cool, man.

No, it was just by accident, as i was looking for a good film to watch, and i came across this film. It was also a pristine copy online as well. It was only when i finished watching the film, that i wanted to find out more about it, that when i went to IMDB, i found that the film doesn't actually get released into the cinemas until January 2016.
    Usually, if a new film is shown online, its at least a few days after the official film has been released, and usually the initial online copy is somewhat not of the best quality.

The accidental pirate.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    The accidental pirate.

Hey, it can happen to the best of us. Just a pity it funds criminality and terrorism worldwide.
    I bet the Illuminati are behind it. Or worse... Spectre. :(
    I won't name it here, but there is a very well known website that shows films and TV shows for free, and its legal, apparently.
    Hmmm... is this site legal, by the way?
  • edited December 2015 Posts: 1,098

Well i live in the UK, and i have discussed this with other people who know about this site, and we do believe the people that run this site have some sort of deal, as there are quite a few sponsors and adverts on the site.They do now actually have SWTFA on their site now, but a poor copy, as they themselves mention to anyone wanting to see the film.

I shall resist, as i'am wanting to see the film in IMAX in London this xmas. :)

btw:- the site has been running on the internet for quite a while now, at least a year i would say, and is very popular for people who want to catch up with episodes of their favourite TV shows.

@Thunderfinger, our admins are involved in drug traff - oh, you weren't talking about THIS site?

I said nothing.

Please delete my post. It has nothing to do with...anything.
    Tonight I did a double feature of Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

Absolutely spectacular way to spend 4 hours. 'Winter Soldier' is my favorite MCU film, great story with some very intense action scenes that are up there with the best Hollywood can produce. And 'Ghost Protocol' is just awesome, Cruise at his best doing insane stunts (the Dubai tower scene still scares me despite having seen the movie a dozen times already).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2015 Posts: 23,883
    The Eiger Sanction (1975) - blu ray

This is a Bondian style thriller with a bit of 70's pacing (for that, read slow and pensive). Clint Eastwood is Jonathon Hemlock, a college professor by day, and retired assassin by night. He is called into action one last time by his former employers (a sort of secret organization within the US Govt that conducts assassinations) to dispatch a few baddies who killed a fellow agent and absconded with some secret chemical formula.

Hemlock traces one baddie to Zurich and takes care of him rather easily. The 2nd one is more difficult however, and coincidentally (for Hemlock) happens to be climbing a treacherous mountain (the Eiger), which is something Hemlock is perfectly trained to do (being a part time top mountaineer himself). The rest of the film focuses on Hemlock infiltrating the climbing team in Switzerland, after training first in Arizona, and then attempting to track and kill the baddie - the only description he has of him is that he has a limp.

The film is notable for a great, hard-assed, manly performance from Clint like only he can give, and excellent supporting turns from the always reliable George Kennedy and the late, charismatic Jack Cassidy. Unabashedly sexist, it also has some absolutely phenomenal cinematography and mountain climbing scenes (many of which Clint did himself). The film makes me realize how much I miss genuine stunt scenes as opposed to garbage CGI. This film makes you feel the fear up on that mountain, on account of the great camera work. I can see now where Tom Cruise gets his inspiration - Clint Eastwood is as good a role model as any, and is impressively lean and fit even at 45 in this film. Eastwood directed this and it also features an early John Williams score.

What amazed me when watching this film is how many other films have cribbed and been inspired by it, namely:

1. For Your Eyes Only - mountain climbing climax
    2. Mi2 - opening scene of Cruise mountain climbing
    3. Shoot to Kill, aka Deadly Pursuit - Poitier tracking a murderer in the mountains
    4. Bourne Identity - European scenes as well as Bourne climbing down the wall from the US Embassy

The pacing is a little slow, in that 70's plodding way, but it's worth a watch.
    119934094.jpg
    Super 8 (2011)

After watching the new Star Wars last week, I had an sudden urge to rewatch the previous works by J.J. Abrams. The man just doesn't disappoint. This was a great homage to Spielberg's work on 'E.T.' and 'Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind'. I really enjoy the great mystery concerning the events of the flm, and the kids slowly finding out what is really happening. I saw this in the cinema when it was released, and it hasn't lost its magic since then.
  • JNOJNO Finland
    Star Wars Episode 7: The Force Awakens.
    <center><font color = red size = 4>DD's 30 GUILTY PLEASURE FILMS</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 4>part 8/30</font></center>

<center><font color = darkblue size = 6>Dagon (2001)</font></center>

43944551.jpg?1600

Director Stuart Gordon and producer Brian Yuzna are big names in my book. They are responsible for such films as the Re-Animator trilogy, From Beyond, Necronomicon (1 segment), Castle Freak and Dagon. All of these films are based on horror stories written by perhaps my favourite horror writer of all time: H.P. Lovecraft.

Indeed, I am a Lovecraft fan and that makes me part of an almost cult-like group of people who are very much into that Cthulhu / Dream Cycle stuff that most have heard of but hardly know. Yet Lovecraft's influence can be felt in a lot of fantasy / horror stuff. Monsters, ancient worlds, ghost houses, ... Lovecraft's troubled and often delirious mind created some of the wildest fantasies one can have. Inspiring board, role playing and video games, expanded universe books and comics, heavy metal music and quite a lot of (lesser known) movies, Lovecraftian horror is still very much alive. People like del Toro, Raimi and Carpenter have cited Lovecraft as a big influence on their work. Cthulhu, Arkham Asylum (yes, the one you know from Batman), Miskatonic university, the Necronomicon... if you've heard of those, from now on you know that they were thought up by H.P. Lovecraft. But only few filmmakers have actually dived into the rich well of Lovecraft. Critics say it's difficult to make sense out of a Lovecraft story and that the absence of female characters and romantic plots renders the Lovecraft universe unfit for movie adaptations. That, however, didn't stop people like Gordon and Yuzna from making a few pretty decent Lovecraft films that not only deliver some impressive female characters but often a lot of T&A as well.

Dagon is one of their less playful but perhaps more creepy achievements. Though sharing its title with one of Lovecraft's shortest stories, the film is actually based on one of his four 'short novels', The Shadow Over Innsmouth, possibly his most atmospheric tale and my favourite of the bunch. Updated to fit a slightly more modern setting, Dagon tells the story of an American couple, Paul and Barbara, stranded near the Spanish coast after their boat is "attacked" by an unexpected change of the weather. Hoping to find some help in the nearest town, Paul swiftly realises that he's trapped in a strange place. Everything smells like fish, people have gills and suddenly everyone wants him dead. It rains non-stop, houses are partially flooded and running the show in town is a beautiful yet devious mermaid. When Paul discovers the truth about the town and its frightening devotion to the sea god Dagon, little time is left to try to escape.

It's tempting to think that madness reigns supreme in a cheap film like Dagon but the result is surprisingly coherent and, well, intriguing. From the first few moments, the tone is set. Perpetual darkness and rainfall, a town's conspiracy and cultist worshipping of an ancient creature, resulting in an actual alteration of the town folks' biology, create a truly strange mood. I also love horror stories in which we're confined by the elements. Water is the ever present motif in the film. The violent ocean waves and the aggressive precipitation practically imprison Paul. The water inside the houses where he tries to hide doesn't make it any easier. Such a peculiar environment creates a unique atmosphere for the film.

The only truly weak spot in the script is that the history of the town has to be told to us, in a lengthy flash-back, by a barely comprehensible old drunk, played by Francisco Rabal in his final role before his death. To be fair though, the drunk's tale is also an integral part of the source novel and was even used for the video game adaptation of the novel (surprisingly called The Call Of Cthulhu). Besides, it's not a bad flashback. I remember when first seeing the film that I was rather upset by it, by how a Christian town can be taken in by the Esoteric Order of Dagon.

Some rather poor CGI shots at the end of the film aren't enough to keep me from loving Dagon. But I admit, it helps to be a Lovecraft devotee. Nevertheless, Dagon holds up rather well in terms of imdb and RT ratings, but it's mostly Lovecraft fans like myself who keep the score high enough. Other people have called me crazy for loving the film so much. A town of fish people? Seriously? Well, this is a guilty pleasure then, but it really is a personnel pleasure. I'm not saying this is the best horror film out there, mind you, nor am I saying you will like it as much as I do. It's just one of those surprisingly interesting golden gems you might find in the B section of your local DVD store. I'm still waiting for a big, expensive, high-profile Lovecraft film with modern CGI finally bringing the Cthulhu to the big screen in all of its majesty, but until we find someone brave enough to make that film, I'll happily settle for respectable efforts like Dagon.

MY GUILTY PLEASURE RANKING
    Great because it's actually not bad.
    Last Action Hero
    Dagon

Great because it's the best acid trip you ever had without acid.
    The Avengers (1998)
    Zardoz
    Ghost Rider Spirit Of Vengeance

Great because it's fun to see people go totally off the rails.
    Showgirls
    Nick Fury: Agent of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Great because I just happen to like these things and I'm not too proud to admit it.
    G.I. Joe: The Movie
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I own The Dunwich Horror, a weird little film starring Sandra Dee... based on Lovecraft.
    @chrisisall, I actually like that one a lot. :-)
    Scared the crap outta me when I was a kid...
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Galaxy Quest, haven't watched it in years. Still a fun, affectionate
    Satire on Star Trek. :)
    Galaxy Quest, haven't watched it in years. Still a fun, affectionate
    Satire on Star Trek. :)
    It's a go to fun film full or laughs & adventure. You can never go wrong with this one.