Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

talos7 wrote: »
    He was as cool in person as on the screen. It was a thrill.

I am officially jealous of you. That must have been a great experience. The movie is excellent though.
    Young Frankenstein

Yes, i know its an old film, but i don't think i have any watched it all the way through before.
    Like the bit where Frankenstein (G.Wilder), tells Igor (M.Feldman), to go to the lab and get a selected good brain for the creature, but accidently damages it, then substitutes it with another brain from another jar, though the name on the jar says ABNORMAL. :))
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Duel by Spielberg starring Dennis Weaver. This is the first time I've seen the uncut version, and widescreen to boot. Awesome movie. Every little detail is there- all of Spielberg's bag of tricks dumped into his first feature.
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Duel by Spielberg starring Dennis Weaver. This is the first time I've seen the uncut version, and widescreen to boot. Awesome movie. Every little detail is there- all of Spielberg's bag of tricks dumped into his first feature.

I just got that film in the mail. It's so simple but so good; one of the best directorial debuts ever.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Seven Samurai (1954)
    One of my all time favorite movies. 3.5 hours of pure entertainment alongside a bunch of colourful characters. Special mention to Toshiro Mifune, who gives one of the most badass performances caught on film. Stunning film really, not one minute wasted, and the final battle, which lasts almost an hour, is thrilling.
  • quantumofsolacequantumofsolace England
    Last night I re-watched (for about the hundredth time) my all-time favourite Roger Moore film - so obviously I wasn't watching a Bond film! No, it's Peter Hunt's classic 1974 thriller, 'Gold'. It was the first time I'd watched it via my new HD projector. It's not what you'd call a great Blu-Ray transfer - but it still looked wonderful projected 10 feet (or thereabouts) wide. In spite of being so incredibly familiar with every single frame of this marvellous movie I was still amazed at how much detail I noticed for the very first time. Took me back to watching it at the cinema as a kid when it was originally released. And then again a couple of years later when it was re-issued in a double-bill with 'Diamonds Are Forever'. And I can still vividly remember being on holiday with my family at the seaside and being so excited at seeing said double-bill advertised on TV. Oh for those halcyon days when movies had a cinematic life that stretched for years, sometimes decades, before being consigned to the small screen. Bugs me nowadays how the likes of Amazon invite you to pre-order the DVD/BD sometimes before the film has even opened at the flicks. Yeah, hamper a picture's box-office potential why don't you!
    Anyway, back to 'Gold'. I've always felt that Sir Rog came closer to playing Bond when he portrayed the tough, ruthless (yet romantic) Rod Slater in this film than he ever did in any of his actual 007 outings. His co-star Susannah York gave, in my opinion, the finest performance of her career and they were superbly supported by Bradford Dillman, Ray Milland, John Gielgud and OHMSS alumni Bernard Horsfall. There's plenty of familiar names behind the cameras too including John Glen, Syd Cain and Don Black. It's brilliantly directed by Peter Hunt and features a truly breathtaking score by the legendary Elmer Bernstein.
    I'm honestly yearning to watch it again already!
    Seven Years in Tibet (1997). Enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would - provides great drama and humor. I recommend a watch to anyone who hasn't checked it out yet.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,242
    Princess Mononoke (1997). The film features a terrific story, characters, music, and messages. Having now seen this and Spirited Away, I can safely say I've become a Miyazaki fan. Anime isn't normally my thing, but Miyazaki's work is just on its own level - complex, beautiful, captivating, and original. I'm eager to find and watch more of his movies.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Princess Mononoke (1997). The film features a terrific story, characters, music, and messages. Having now seen this and Spirited Away, I can safely say I've become a Miyazaki fan. Anime isn't normally my thing, but Miyazaki's work is just on its own level - complex, beautiful, captivating, and original. I'm eager to find and watch more of his movies.

You started with 2 of the best. Spirited away is my #1 and Monoroke is perhaps my #2 anime.

• Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Horrible Bosses

Still never gets old for me. I still laugh my ass off through the whole thing.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @FoxRox, excellent choices. I agree with @Crazysoul95; they are two of the best. In fact, I'd say they are Myazaki's best - period.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    @FoxRox, excellent choices. I agree with @Crazysoul95; they are two of the best. In fact, I'd say they are Myazaki's best - period.

Wouldn't be surprising; I was floored by both, particularly Spirited Away - one of my favorite movies ever now. I'll be binge-watching some of his films here with my free time and see his other works.
  • GOODNIGHTMOMMY_3.jpg
    Goodnight Mommy
    Wow, it's been quite a while since I've been as disappointed in a movie as this one...
    The trailer looked very promising and very creepy- and several reviews boasted 'it'll give you nightmares for weeks'.
    I've never been so bored in my life- it was almost as if the movie forgot what it was trying to do. It started out a little creepy (the moms bandaged face was unsettling) but it quickly became obvious that it was NOT the movie the trailer made it out to be (horror). I hate when trailers do that!!
    Don't bother wasting your time with this one- it sucks
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Princess Mononoke (1997)
    Spirited Away
    It's so odd that I've never really been able to get into Princess Mononoke, yet Spirited Away is one of my favorites ever. I'm such a weirdo, lol

The Sweeney (2012) -a movie that cost 3 million pound and its car chases and actionscenes looked better than a recent blockbuster. With the chase budget of 24 million they could have done at least 3 sequels. PS I quite liked this English actioner movie. Hayley Atwell looked 007 lady material.

Nordwand 2008) - a German climbing movie about the Northface of the Eiger, set in 1936 about various groups climbing the Northface of that unconquered mountainface. A very gripping movie that leaves you on the edge of your seat for the last 30 minutes. A brilliant and must-see movie.
    Watched My Neighbor Totoro (1988) and Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - two more great classics from Miyazaki. If the four films I've seen are any indicator, he can do no wrong with his movies. I'll eventually get around to seeing all of them; he has easily skyrocketed as one of my all-time favorite film directors. Every time one of his movies finishes, I'm left extremely satisfied and happy.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @SaintMark, 'The Sweeney' was a hidden little gem for me, felt the same way about the action scenes: for such a small budget, they made it all really, really work.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Night Of The Hunter

I finally got around to watching this (shameful for someone who claims to be a Mitchum fan, I know). For such a gripping film, the ending was a let down. I was expecting Rachel to receive news that some police officers had been found murdered, and Powell would make his way back to the house for one last attempt on John and Pearl's lives. He wouldn't have the money, but by that point he's unspooled, so it wouldn't matter.
    Hostel 1-3

What i learnt from these films.

1/ Don't go back packing.
    2/ Don't go to a hostel in East Europe or the USA.
    @mepal1

Hostel was great! Hostel 2 a bit on the less terrifying side. Hostel 3 was an abomination. Eli Roth needs to return to the series.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 1,098
    @mepal1

Hostel was great! Hostel 2 a bit on the less terrifying side. Hostel 3 was an abomination. Eli Roth needs to return to the series.

Hostel 1 & 2 are the best
    . I think the people of Slovakia though were taken aback by the films, as the films suggested you would meet a horrific end to your life if you ever traveled there.
    Hostel 3, i didn't mind it too much, but it was a different take on the franchise, and having the setting in Las Vegas?, felt a bit unusual to say the least.

@mepal1

Hostel was great!
    It was sick.
    @-)
    chrisisall wrote: »
    @mepal1

Hostel was great!
    It was sick.
    @-)

I didn't know until recently that the film 'Hostel' was produced by Quentin Tarantino.

RED - a grand spy actioner that is really over the top, but Helen Mirren looks hot. And those oldies do have all the fun.
    @mepal1, Of course. He and Roth are best buddies.
    Prometheus (2012)

Weak story, weak characters and i really don't care for all that gore.
    Mission: Impossible. A DePalma masterpiece like The Untouchables (but not as stellar). It shared a lot with Skyfall for me in that it was a 'wow, we're f**ked' film, and even my Son said that all these films seem to be blaming the agents & targeting them as rogues by their governments....
    Still, MI:2 is my favourite because Hunt is sent to FIX a problem, not hunted whilst trying to clear his name!! Plus, John Woo & Zimmer.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Woman of straw.

Bloody hell, Connery was on top form in this. This man was the definition of manly charm and excessive sex appeal. Turned out to be a complete bastard though. His uncle though, one of the most vile characters committed in cinema.
    Prometheus (2012)

Weak story, weak characters and i really don't care for all that gore.

Beautiful movie, visually stunning and I loved that I did not have a clue what Scott is up to. Looking really forward to the next Alien movie.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Prometheus was great! And the 3d was good, too. That is a rarity.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Woman of straw.

Bloody hell, Connery was on top form in this. This man was the definition of manly charm and excessive sex appeal. Turned out to be a complete bastard though. His uncle though, one of the most vile characters committed in cinema.

Yes, I watched this for the first time about a month ago after seeing it mentioned on the boards. It is a great film and Connery is at the top of his game. The director, and Connery, do a beautiful job of using his immense charm and appeal to make him a real bastard.