Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Might as well throw my list up, too. It's not finalized just yet, I still need to see: 'Youth,' 'Carol,' 'Son of Saul,' 'Room,' 'Spotlight,' and 'Concussion.'

Top 10: (Made this up fairly quick; I'm fairly certain this is my Top 10, and this is a quick write up of what I think the list looks like. Might need to see some of them again and do a little tweaking.)

1.) 'Mad Max: Fury Road'
    2.) 'Star Wars: The Force Awakens'
    3.) 'The Hateful Eight'
    4.) 'Spectre'
    5.) 'Beasts of No Nation'
    6.) 'Sicario'
    7.) 'Ex Machina'
    8.) 'Legend'
    9.) 'Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation'
    10.) 'The Revenant'
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    1. Mad Max: Fury Road
    2. Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    3. Spectre
    4. Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation
    5. Blackhat
    6. Sicario
    7. The Martian
    8. Run All Night
    9. Ex Machina
    10. Chappie
    The top three are definitely staying where they're at in my ranking. 'The Force Awakens' was just so damn fun to me. I'm going to wear my blu-ray copy down from playing it so much.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Has anyone else seen ROOM?

I haven't even seen the trailer in a very long time; is this one of those movies that would be great to go into knowing nothing about it? It's why it's hard for me to get interested in finally sitting down and watching it, I really don't know much about it at all.
    Don't think I've even seen a full trailer for 'Carol,' either, which will be nice for when I finally get around to watching it. If you're a Coen Brother's fan, then you'll love 'Hail, Caesar!' It looks phenomenal.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I know, that is an odd choice. But i had to give it that spot. Despite all else, for the first time in years I felt that STAR WARS giddiness, hints of 1977.
    It was Star Wars + Empire Strikes Back - some happiness with who we lost. But yeah, the feel is back, big time.

• edited January 2016 Posts: 3,336
    Panic Room (2002)

I was really engaged untill there was about 25 minutes left, then the movie ran out of ideas. But still an ok/good movie. This should of been a 1h and 30 min movie as there isn't really that much you could do with a concept like this.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Fincher does mystery/suspense really well. This one had me at the edge of my seat.

Bridge of Spies (2015)

Another very good Spielberg film, with great performances from Hanks and Rylance. I also think that this film did a very good job capturing the late 50's

The Secret of Nimh (1982)

A good and pretty dark animation film.

Jurassic Park (1993)

The first time i saw this, i was a bit dissapointed. This time however i enjoyed it a great deal.

Kingsman: The Secret Service (2014)
    Great film. Matthew Vaughn and his creative team should make the next bond film.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 12,270
    Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) (2014). I had been wanting to see this film for a while, and I'm glad I finally got to. I wouldn't call it a favorite and I don't know if I'll see it again, but I just have to say Michael Keaton was fantastic. He's one of my favorite actors, and he really gave an amazing performance in this film. The other actors did a fine job as well.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy My Secret Lair
    Zombeavers, as bad as it sounds. :))
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Mad Max - Fury Road (2015)

Having just watched the extremely impressive The Revenant in theatres, I wanted to take another look at its Oscar competitor, George Miller's MM-FR. I saw it only once in the theatre when it came out, and was impressed by the sheer audacity of the visuals. I didn't know anything about the characters then (having not seen any of the Gibson films before) or the concept. I wanted to watch this again to see how it compared to The Revenant.

Thoughts:
    My overall experience this time is very similar to how I felt in the theatre. This is a visual feast of a film. It's a splendid visceral, graphic and sonic experience. There's an intensity to the action and the colours (EON take note please) that really grabs you by the cojones and just doesn't let up, apart from a small respite about 2/3 of the way through when it comes to a halt for some reflection.

Essentially, this film is one big chase sequence, on the 'Fury Road' one assumes. Despite this simple premise, Miller and his cinematographer John Seale must be given credit for ensuring that such chase is incredible to behold and never boring. In fact, I'd say it's almost balletic in the way it's conceived and executed, with attackers on giant poles dangling 100's of feet above in fast moving vehicles, explosions all around the chased truck housing our heroes, and the most beautifully filmed desert landscapes this side of Lawrence of Arabia.

Tom Hardy impresses as the mumbling, grunting Max. His performance here is as different from his work in The Revenant as can be, but is still very compelling - the sign of a great actor. It's a physical role, and he's proven before that he can act his pants off with a mask on his head (in TDKR), as he does here for a portion of the film.

Charlize Theron is her usual emotional yet strong self, in another signature role for her. I was amazed at how she managed to appear quite attractive to my eyes even with her skinhead hair, missing arm and in relatively unkept attire.

The remaining supporting cast, including Nicholas Hoult, Riley Keough (she certainly has her grandad's charisma) and Hugh Keays-Byrne are all very solid.

Overall this is a must see 2015 film. Even if you don't like the violence, blood and gore, it's still epic film making and a supremely well executed premise. The plot is quite thin, but that's not the point - the point is to be blown away by the visuals, action and pacing, which this film delivers in spades. Very confident work here.

I think The Revenant is the better film and deserves to win across the board, but MM-FR has made me a Mad Max fan. I will definitely be watching this film again soon, and can't wait for the sequel.
    I am sorry but just cannot join in with love fest for Mad Max Fury Road. For me it was by far the biggest disappointment of 2015. Where was the lean, mean, adrenaline fuelled action of Road Warrior? Well certainly not herd. This was more Beyond Thunderdome than Road Warrior and that's never a good thing. Firstly there is the opening 20 minutes which look like some dated 80s Duran Duran video. Not helped by the chanting of war boys which just sounds like Lebon singing Wild Boys. Then there's the action. Well the problem is CGI is now so good that sometimes its hard to see where real action ends and CGI begins and I think an awful lot of stuff in here has been augmented by the computer. In Road Warrior you knew it was all for real. But the biggest fault is that its not even a Mad Max movie. Its a furiosa movie. Yes Max is a supporting character in his own movie and that's unforgivable. How the hell this has fooled so many people into thinking this is a great movie I don't know including the Oscar Academy. Die Hard, Matrix, Raiders of the lost ark. Any one of those action movies could easily have been given nominations for best film , all were ignored but this movie gets nominated. Unbelievable.
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    I am sorry but just cannot join in with love fest for Mad Max Fury Road. For me it was by far the biggest disappointment of 2015. Where was the lean, mean, adrenaline fuelled action of Road Warrior?
    I haven't seen the earlier films so can't compare
    Firstly there is the opening 20 minutes which look like some dated 80s Duran Duran video. Not helped by the chanting of war boys which just sounds like Lebon singing Wild Boys.
    I happen to like LeBon and Duran Duran, as well as Wild Boys. Their greatest hits is currently in my car. I agree there are similarities... indeed.
    Then there's the action. Well the problem is CGI is now so good that sometimes its hard to see where real action ends and CGI begins and I think an awful lot of stuff in here has been augmented by the computer. In Road Warrior you knew it was all for real.
    That's true. I could tell it was far more 'CGI infested' than The Revenant, which is why I'd prefer that film to win against this one.
    But the biggest fault is that its not even a Mad Max movie. Its a furiosa movie. Yes Max is a supporting character in his own movie and that's unforgivable.
    Again, I was not aware of this, not being all that acquainted with the source material.
    Die Hard, Matrix, Raiders of the lost ark. Any one of those action movies could easily have been given nominations for best film , all were ignored but this movie gets nominated. Unbelievable.
    I agree. Die Hard, Matrix & Raiders of the Lost Ark should all have been nominated in their respective years. Truly unforgiveable that.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    Raiders of the Lost Ark was nominated at the Oscars for Best Picture and Best Director, ultimately winning 4 other Oscars.
    I enjoyed "The Revenant"... Back in the 70s when it was called "Man in the Wilderness" ::

my top 7 films

1. Mission Impossible Rogue Nation
    2. Love and Mercy (it was so well done that as a Huge yes fan I wish a film could be made about my favorite band)
    3. Spectre
    4. Star Wars the Force Awakens
    5. Avengers age of ultron
    6. Sisters
    7. Ant Man

Now this will likely change when i finally see Terminator Genesys, Man From Uncle, Taken 3, and Run all night
    OH! Meant to ask those of you who saw 'The Revenant' this: did you think the dubbing was way off for the Arikara? I'm not sure why they were dubbed so heavily, but the words don't match their mouths a lot of the time and it's quite noticeable.

@cooperman2, how wrong you are: CG was used in 'Fury Road' for impossibilities such as stretching the landscape past where it went in real life, but the vehicles were all really built and driven and the stunts were real, including the "Witness me!" leap from the War Rig toward the beginning of the movie and the work of the pole cats.
    @Creasy47, I noticed the CGI quite clearly during the chase, when the men were falling off the poles, and during the night scenes. I also felt it during the water scene, when all the inhabitants of Citadel were waiting for the water. It didn't bother me all that much, because I expect it these days (sadly), but I had the opposite feeling with The Revenant. Even the bear scene felt so real to me.

Re: Arikara - yes, now that you mention it, I did notice it for sure. I thought nothing of it because I only caught it at the very start, and I was so wrapped up in the film at that point, but yes, now that you bring it back I recall being surprised by that.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,474
    Oh yeah, the water scene is most certainly CG, but it'd be hard to notice the pole cat CG when the stunt was fully realized and practical. Of course, perhaps there's a snippet or two where CG was used due to a certain shot or the landscape needing to be stretched out further, but it would be something slight amidst the practicality of the rest of the stunt. I wouldn't say the CG for that was too noticeable, but the avalanche/bear scene in 'The Revenant' wasn't, when it was. Still, both are terrific movies to me. Still thinking about 'The Revenant,' what an intense journey that is.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say the CG for that was too noticeable, but the avalanche/bear scene in 'The Revenant' wasn't, when it was. Still, both are terrific movies to me. Still thinking about 'The Revenant,' what an intense journey that is.
    I agree. The CGI is not too noticeable at all. Overall, it was brilliantly done in both MM-FR & in The Revenant. Both outstanding cinematic experiences.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 40,474
    'Pulp Fiction'

One of my favorites overall, and the second movie I've come across during my first proper Tarantino marathon. The cast of characters is great, the jarred sense of story-telling is unique, the dialogue is spot on as usual, and actors like Samuel L. Jackson, Ving Rhames, John Travolta (not something I usually say), and Uma Thurman really, really shine in this. Now I've started up 'Jackie Brown,' and am ashamed to say that this is only my second viewing of it, so it's definitely my least-viewed Tarantino entry.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 15,690
    @Creasy47 you make me want to do a Tarantino marathon of my own, as I've seen 'Pulp Fiction' and 'Reservoir Dogs' only once, and never saw the 'Kill Bill' duology or 'Jackie Brown'.
    Both are a most; just re-watched 'Jackie Brown,' it's so underrated. After I watch this hockey game I'm going to start up 'Kill Bill.' Knowing you, you'll love it.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    just re-watched 'Jackie Brown,' it's so underrated.
    I need to watch my DVD of it soon... been SO long.
    That you do!

Speaking of, I loved 'Jackie Brown.' It has a great cast of characters, and I felt that the pacing was much better this time around (I remember it dragging at certain parts, but had no issues with it this time). Jackson shines in this one, as well. Looking forward to watching 'Kill Bill Vol. 1' here in a little while.
    'Kill Bill: Vol 1'

One of my favorites of Tarantino's, an absolute revenge-driven bloodbath that never ceases to impress or excite. QT plays lovely tribute to the samurai genre with this, with some wonderful nods to past classics, especially 'Lady Snowblood.'
  • AnthraxAnthrax Sweden
    I watched The Last Unicorn (1982) yesterday, and it is now my favorite 2D animated film. The late Christopher Lee played the role of King Haggard in the film. I've also found some interesting facts about the film by searching on IMDB, TV Tropes and Lee's obituary by the author of the book:

Christopher Lee dubbed himself in the German version. Christopher Lee was also a huge fan of the book, to the point of bringing his own copy of the book to his recording and pointing out lines that he felt had to stay in the story.

From the obituary: He never failed to mention The Last Unicorn as one of his very favorite books, and as one of the movies he was most proud of having made. Indeed, he left me whopperjawed—as Mark Twain would have put it—when we were being interviewed together on Austrian television, and he announced, “Oh, yes, I simply couldn’t resist a chance to play King Haggard one more time, even in another language. “After all—“ and he looked straight into the camera—“it’s the closest they’ll ever let me get to playing King Lear.”

According to Beagle's obituary for Lee, Lee had given his blessing for an adaptation to be made after his death.
    Christopher Lee: ...if, by the time you come to make your live-action version of your movie, I have passed on, do not let it concern you. I have risen from the dead several times. I know how it’s done.
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Robocop (1987) - great movie from the 80's and one I can always go back to time and again and enjoy.
    Talking of Tarantino, the last movie I watched was his latest The Hateful Eight. Typical Tarantino really, great characters, superb dialogue, actors performing at the top of their game. Standout performances for me being Kurt Russell, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Walton Higgins( not an actor I had heard of to be honest but he's brilliant) and a barnstorming performance from Samuel L.Jackson. His best acting role in a decade. A little to long maybe but if u love QT you'll love this.
    Slight mistake in last post. I did of course mean to spell Walton Goggins. Apologies