extreme violence is nice

:-? :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 40,685
    chrisisall wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:
    extreme violence is nice

:-? :))

Perhaps "nice" wasn't the correct word? ;-)

I mean that the film is better with the added violence, because the world is so dark and unique in the movie that I don't want to be sheltered away from bullet wounds and blood when I watch it.

'A Good Day To Die Hard'

I watched the unedited, "extended" cut, which seems to add the f-word a few times and completely cuts out most scenes. I just went into it knowing I shouldn't expect a proper story, set of characters, memorable villains, etc., and focused solely on the action, and it's not too bad. The vehicle chase through Moscow is fantastic.

'Hard Boiled'

Hands down one of the greatest action films I've ever seen. So gritty, intense, and it's like a ballet: everyone has their steps and it's so beautifully choreographed, I love it. I bought another HK Woo film called 'The Killer,' which seems to rank higher on most people's lists in terms of action films, so I can't wait to get to that.

'Hot Fuzz'

Definitely not as good as I remembered it being. The chemistry between Pegg and Frost is great as always and it's pretty good on the comedy. Dalton, of course, is excellent, and it's nice to see some 'Game of Thrones' cast members in it, but I felt like the action sequences were lacking.

'Prometheus'

First time watching it since I saw it in cinemas. Awful movie this go-around. I recall being very disappointed with it when I saw it in theaters, but I don't remember it being this bad. Holy hell. The only good thing about this movie was Michael Fassbender and the visuals, that was it. Awful script, plot, no suspense or horror or action or anything else on the side to keep me interested and diverted from the plot holes and worthless story.

'Commando'

It's your quintessential 80's action flick with the ever-so-ripped Arnold Schwarzenegger. Great intro, love that 80's sax soundtrack, and...well, it's Arnie cutting down hundreds of bad guys to rescue his daughter. What more do you need? Thankfully, 'Hellraiser: Bloodline' arrived in the mail today, so I can do my proper 'Hellraiser' marathon today in blu-ray.

'Hellraiser' and 'Hellbound: Hellraiser II'

Both of these work very nicely when watched back to back. I love the anamatronics, makeup, and effects in both of them, it's really fantastic work. Also, that ending to the second film is so scary. Imagine walking into a room and seeing that...anyway, on to my favorite of the series, 'Hellraiser III: Hell On Earth.'
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Superman III The quest for logic - Remember watching this in the cinema when young, enjoyed it i still do. Maybe because its a reflection of simpler times. Simple being the operative word, the leaps in logic pile stacks up from the start. It is fun to watch and has its moments, notably there attempt at Bizarro, which compared to Quest for peace Bizarro is extremely good.

Pamela Stevenson another good reason to watch Superman III.
    (Watch Quest for peace deleted scenes and witness film making at its absolute worst, even worse than what they kept in.)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    1983 was the bizarro year for more than Superman. Look at ROTJ and OP. Of those three, I prefer Superman III.
    1983 was the bizarro year for more than Superman. Look at ROTJ and OP. Of those three, I prefer Superman III.

Funny i was just thinking of those other two films, watched all of them at the cinema that year. Very much films of there time. :)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited June 2014 Posts: 17,744
    Just watched the "last movie I Purchased" (The International) and wow was it GREAT this time around. Like a Bond film but with serious considerations & ties to real world affairs. Like, a more realistic & timely version of QOS...
    I watched 'The International' once and recall being disappointed by it.

...y'know, this gets me thinking. I really wish I could go back and watch everything that I've seen once just to see if my recalled memory on it is completely different than an up-to-date viewing. Lately, I've gone back to films I remember loving, and then I was sorely disappointed by them, and vice versa. It seems like I've seen so much, but so little of it at the same time. It's always "I remember that being great/good/okay/bad," and that's it. I wish I had a better memory when it comes to films. Some stick with me, others are forgettable.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I watched 'The International' once and recall being disappointed by it.
    I was too at first viewing. It was SO slow and SO talky... but I was measuring it by Bond standards. It's a great spy flick. Just not an ACTION fest. I am so glad I gave this a second try.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited June 2014 Posts: 23,864
    Le Grand Bleu (The Big Blue)

title%20the%20big%20blue.jpg

The year is 1988, the director is Luc Besson, the composer is Eric Serra and Jean-Marc Barr, Jean Reno and a French speaking Rosanna Arquette play the lead parts.

French cinema in the 80s saw the rise of a certain cinematic art form called Cinéma du look which is basically about style over substance. Narrative is inferior to visual excellence, spectacle and exposition. Le Grand Bleu is one of Besson's most famous contributions to this genre.

So what little story is told - a pleasant rivalry between two champion class divers crossing with a fairly amusing tale of love - is outmatched by the beautiful scenery, the delicious score and the fabulous underwater photography.

Besson is not my favourite director but I like several of his films very much, including Nikita, The Fifth Element and of course, my favourite of his, Léon (a.k.a. The Professional). Le Grand Bleu is perhaps the best looking of Besson's films, at least IMO. Plus, I'm always game for a Jean Reno performance and if I can be so bold, Rosanna Arquette is really hot in this film. Serra's famous theme from the movie wraps me up in romantic nostalgia and takes me back to the days when I was a young boy and my mother played a record of synthesiser music, featuring this sensual theme, amongst others.

Indeed, Le Grand Bleu isn't so much about what happens as it is about what can be seen. But that really is enough, even in 160 minute film. I was happy to visit this marvel again and I recommend it to everyone with a taste for cinematic beauty.
    Memento

Pretty good but seriously overrated.
    Memento

I couldn't even finish it. I saw where it was going and the twist seemed obvious from the start, definitely one of my least favorites of Nolan's. I didn't see what the fuss was all about.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Memento

I couldn't even finish it. I saw where it was going and the twist seemed obvious from the start, definitely one of my least favorites of Nolan's. I didn't see what the fuss was all about.

I absolutely loved it. I didn't see the twist coming at all.
    Maybe I had the twist spoiled for me, and it was just buried in my subconscious at some point. Either way, it felt obvious and I didn't like all the backtracking and whatnot, it got monotonous after a while. I think another thing with films with 'great twists' is that I amp myself up for something that's really going to blow me away (like 'Oldboy' or 'The Sixth Sense' or that mind-exploding ending to 'The Mist'), and sometimes it just doesn't deliver the way I think it is going to.
    I liked Memento. Have you seen Insomnia with Robin Williams @Creasy47?
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I liked Memento. Have you seen Insomnia with Robin Williams @Creasy47?

That I have. I think it's pretty creepy and Williams is excellent in it.
    I only saw it once a few years ago now but really enjoyed it.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I only saw it once a few years ago now but really enjoyed it.

I don't really care for the ending, but it's a nice little mystery that gets the job done. Another great 'mystery' film of his is 'The Prestige.' I loved that movie.

'Dead Man Down'

Fantastic cast, thrilling plot, excellent pacing, and one action-packed ending, on top of some really dark shots that help set the mood. I feel like this movie flew under the radar, and I love it. Criminally underrated.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I like Memento but I too think it's far from Nolan's greatest. Insomnia is much more effective IMO and The Prestige is simply awesome. Nolan keeps improving himself so as for Interstellar...

clever science fiction + Nolan = DD is already geeking out!!!!! :P
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Still Nolan's best film followed by The Prestige.

One of the most original and audacious thrillers of all time.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Bad Blood (AKA Wicked Blood in the US, 2014)
    1393094713_1000359_602471526455628_286910767_n_zpsa61eab07.jpg

Following her unenviable role in The Call, Breslin looks to be crossing that tricky threshold with grace.

And don't ask what happens to Bean, because you already know what happens.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote:
    I like Memento but I too think it's far from Nolan's greatest. Insomnia is much more effective IMO and The Prestige is simply awesome. Nolan keeps improving himself so as for Interstellar...

clever science fiction + Nolan = DD is already geeking out!!!!! :P

Memento is pure genious, but I had to see it twice to appreciate that. Insomnia is originally a Norwegian film, by the way. Not sure which version I like more, they both bring something to the table.
  • edited June 2014 Posts: 6,432
    There is a Easter egg on Memento depending which version you have, where you can watch the films scenes in chronological order.

Time Machine 1960 - Remarkable this film cost a mere $750 000 to make. Testament to the charm of the film, always captured my imagination when young, and still does. Any film that has heart i think tends to fit into that category of being a classic.
    'Seraphim Falls'

Lovely western with a great cast. It drags on and gets a little odd towards the end, but I still love watching the events unfold throughout. Great scenery, it looks amazing on blu-ray, and I love all the tense moments and traps set throughout the film.

'Unforgiven'

Phenomenal acting and a very good plot, but the pacing is just off for me and for a two-hour plus film, nothing really happens. I also fail to see the motivation in Eastwood's character: he spent his younger years murdering women and children, but now he's going to pick up a gun after 10+ years and leave his kids alone for weeks just to track down two guys who apparently murdered some woman? Seems very far-fetched to me. It's a bit of a letdown, but it's not the worst film I've seen.

'3 Days To Kill'

Very forgettable movie. Horribly shot action sequences, terrible cast, mediocre and unanswered ending. Skip this one, it isn't worth your time.
    THE LONGEST DAY simply because it is almost 70 years ago that the invasion of Normandy took place.

A fine movie with great names doing a little part while remembering the hero's of that day. A movie one should have seen at least once in their lifetime.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    The Longest Day must have starred almost every actor working at the time.
    The Longest Day must have starred almost every actor working at the time.

That is a bit of an exaggeration, but they must have had all the really big stars in it for sure, German and French as well.
    edited June 2014 Posts: 13,970
    I did say almost, there were a lot of big names in it.

---

fid13238.jpg

A decent low key British thriller about a group of passengers that find themselves trapped on a speeding train.
    @MajorDSmythe, is that worth a watch? I love Dougray Scott.
    Bear in mind that it's a low budget british thriller, set entirely on the train, keep your expectations low, and you might enjoy it. I don't know if this is of any use to you @Creasy47, but in the UK, it's showing on Sky Movies Premiere all week.

http://www.locatetv.com/movie/last-passenger/7975202
    I don't have Sky Movies Premiere, unfortunately, but I'm sure I could find myself a version of it online somewhere. ;-)

EDIT: 'Non-Stop'

This actually surprised me. It was very tense, and while Serra should never, ever be allowed to be involved in the shooting of any action sequences (due to horribly poor editing), he did a great job at making everyone look as suspicious as the next person, and it kept you guessing through to the end. This was a pretty entertaining film.

'RoboCop' (2014)

Well, I commend the film for actually spicing it up and not making it a shot for shot remake. A lot of things happen very differently. The visuals/CGI surprisingly looks good, the action scenes aren't terribly bad, but the cast is lacking and the pacing is awful. Kinnaman is nowhere near as good in the role as Weller was, and it's yet another movie that fails to set up a villain we want to root against. The main villain has maybe two or three scenes until the finale, and that's it. I absolutely loathed the villain in the original because of how personal it was and how much he appeared throughout.