Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Aliens - Director's Cut

My favorite in the Alien franchise. I'm a sci-fi nerd and I feel Aliens is the one that is the most sci-fi out of the franchise. I like all the added scenes for the Director's Cut except the ones that show Hadley's Hope before it was overrun with Xenomorphes. I felt that part slowed the movie down too much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited May 2014 Posts: 16,331
    Blade Runner: The Final Cut. I needed a distraction last night so I watched Blade Runner. I had attempted to watch it once before but turned it off at the half hour point. I think I was tired or something, but in any case, I watched it in full this time and really enjoyed it. My opinions are pretty much the same as @StirredNotShaken, so thanks for influencing me to watch the film. Great mix of Sci-fi and film noir. 10/10. :-bd
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    As others have done this week I too stuck on the DVD of the original Alien. It felt like a real treat after not seeing it for about five years or so and it deserves its reputation. The production design is truly incredible and ensures that a claustrophobic, isolated feeling remains throughout - especially within the maze-like environment of the Nostromo.

Also, this film really piles on the jump-scares. I'm not sure quite how many there were but all were perfectly timed (John Glen should have taken note).

As with the set design some of the individual shots are very iconic. Particularly those of Ripley in that astronaut helmet during the climax.

There are a couple of minor quibbles. Some of the effects are a little cheesy now (the shot of the Nostromo blowing up as well as the obvious model alien falling into space), however a piece of cinema this remains a must for film fans.

Just found this on Youtube haha:

• QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition 9/10
    I've never read the comic but with the new image of Affleck in the bat suite, and it being based off the Miller comic, I had to check out the movie. It was really good! It was basically four mini movies rolled into one big plot. I bought it before I watched it and I wasn't disappointed!

Ender's Game 7.5/10
    I kept putting this one off, mostly because it involves kids as the heroes, but finally got around to seeing it. It was much better than I expected and it made me want to read the books. I hope the sequels get made. Best part of the movie? ... Harrison Ford in space!
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    edited May 2014 Posts: 7,314
    Man Of Steel

Yeah, I know, I just got around to watching this. I had avoided it until now because of all the negative things that I had heard and read about it but curiosity got the best of me. I'm actually glad that I did because going in with such low expectations definitely helped me to not be disappointed. It was everything that they said it was with a few moments here and there that I enjoyed.

What a mess. It's a shame too because I think that the cast was really good. In the right hands this had the potential to be something special. I quite liked Cavill. I truly believe that he did the best he could with what he had to work with. Unfortunately, the whole thing was very jumbled and incoherent. Just another shallow, whiz-bang special effects loaded summer blockbuster.

I didn't care for all of the flashbacks. It just made the film convoluted. Also, the beginning of the film felt like the Star Wars prequels with the CGI overload. Russel Crowe was great as always though. The worst part is that I didn't buy the romance between Supes and Lois. It felt very forced. It just wasn't right that they weren't working together at the Daily Planet.

Cavill lacks the charm of Christopher Reeve but he is physically convincing and provided an emotional depth that was both surprising and refreshing. Michael Shannon was okay as Zod but has nothing on Terence Stamp. Yes, I'm biased. In the end I don't think that this film knew what it wanted to be. Perhaps it tried to appeal to everyone but left everyone feeling alienated instead. Like a child from Krypton in a spaceship.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Batman: The Dark Knight Returns Deluxe Edition 9/10
    I've never read the comic but with the new image of Affleck in the bat suite, and it being based off the Miller comic, I had to check out the movie. It was really good! It was basically four mini movies rolled into one big plot. I bought it before I watched it and I wasn't disappointed!

You should definitely check out the graphic novel, mate. It's a piece of art.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-The-Dark-Knight-Returns/dp/1563893428
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,551
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

Invasion-Of-The-Body-Snatchers.jpg

This is the first, the 'original' film adaptation of Jack Finney's Sci-Fi novel, directed by Don Siegel. Witness 50s paranoia at its absolute height. Fear of communism slowly invading the USA, McCarthyism, fear of the feminine, ... it's all here. And the real threat is closer to you than you might like. Four years before Psycho, this low budget film already addressed issues of people not being quite who they appear to be. But unfortunately, Siegel's film was at first hilariously overlooked by critics. In the many years after its release, however, the film correctly gained more praise and finally reached the status of a to be preserved classic.

Some people may be cautious about 50s cinema. It neither looks nor feels like anything we see today. It usually moves more slowly and is filmed more statically; its content is often pulled from contemporary morale and family values, which often alienate people who were born decades later. But I really think IOTBS deserves some credit. The pacing is quite satisfying and the camera work, subtly blending cinema noir and common sci-fi elements, doesn't disappoint. The acting is good enough and in the end, it's not a particularly long movie so you'll be fine. ;-)

Though this version still isn't my favourite of the Body Snatchers collection, I nonetheless think it holds up well today and remains relevant both aesthetically and in terms of content. You won't be scared, if I may hazard a guess, but you might find the story interesting, perhaps even interesting enough to go and see the 1978 remake. And that's precisely where I'm going now. See you in two hours! :-)
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Frankenstein_created_woman.jpg

If I were Hans, I would have leaped from the balcony, and given those foul minions of the upper class a sound thrashing, never mind just sitting there and letting them finish their cruel song.

Hammer: Frankenstein
    1. Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958)
    2. Curse Of Frankenstein (1957)
    3. Evil Of Frankenstein (1964)
    4. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Assassination (1987)

I never thought I'd ever be disappointed or bored watching a Charles Bronson movie, Directed by Peter Hunt no less. The plot is predictable and some of the editing makes it feel like I'm watching a sequel to something. No development on the villains. nothing. I have to say skip it, Death Wish 4 and 5 are way better.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,551
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

invasion+trio.jpg

I'm a fan of 70s horror. I'm convinced this decade brought us some of the greatest horror films ever. They are usually very nihilistic, tearing apart traditional comfort zones like the family or Faith; they're bleak and depressing. While these are emotions I try to steer away from in real life, in truth they offer horror films an extra dimension which helps to thicken the fear and gruesomeness one usually seeks in them.

It's probably no surprise then that I prefer one of the ultimate paranoia stories, that of the body snatchers, to be set in this decade. Not only does my viewing experience greatly benefit from the 70s aesthetics, but like the characters I also experience the constant rejection of hope and the struggle with sanity. Morale is at an all time low for me when I watch this film and perhaps that's why I like it so much; the real-life revelation after the film that it's all just a movie, lowers my heart-beat and makes the first smile on my face an extremely pleasant one. However, is it really *just a movie*?

Aided tremendously by Ben Burtt's sound effects, Philip Kaufman's directing and the effective acting by Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright and Leonard Nimoy, this powerful version of the body snatchers story keeps getting on my nerves the way it pleases only a true horror fan. Great paranoia films are hard to find. Besides Rosemary's Baby and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, I know but a minor few worthy of our time. But in an age when your friendly neighbour or best school friend might be plotting against the free world as a member of some terrorist cell, the 1978 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers remains dreadfully relevant.

I love this film and if you don't reject 70s cinema, I suggest you watch it. Tomorrow I'm going to watch Abel Ferrara's 1993 version, Body Snatchers.

Film adaptations of Jack Finney's (Invasion Of) The Body Snatchers novel
    1) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
    2) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What??? The 56 version is alot better than the 78 version. Ehm... IMO of course, you are the mod.
    What??? The 56 version is alot better than the 78 version. Ehm... IMO of course, you are the mod.

That only means I get all the beautiful girls, @Thunderfinger.
    As for film related opinions, everyone is entirely free to have their own. :)>-

Seriously though, yeah I recognise the fact that Siegel's film is a lot closer to the source novel but IMO the Kaufman version is simply scarier and better acted and I guess that's where my priorities lie. :)
    I'm with @Dimi. The '78 version is fantastic. Far superior to the '56.
    As a mod, you decide. ;) But to be serious, the 78 film is way preferable to the 93 film. Maybe it is because I saw the 56 version as a kid, not sure. But it is just such a classic, the remakes cannot be called that. IMHO of course, venerable mod.
    Your view does not count. You are not a mod, and not me, either.

As a mod, you decide. ;) But to be serious, the 78 film is way preferable to the 93 film. Maybe it is because I saw the 56 version as a kid, not sure. But it is just such a classic, the remakes cannot be called that. IMHO of course, venerable mod.
    Your view does not count. You are not a mod, and not me, either.

My view ALWAYS counts. ;-)
    Need for Speed

Fun popcorn movie. I actually liked the movie. Thumbs up for NFS :-bd
    Watching Aliens. That Bill Paxton likes to overact doesn't he :))
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Watching Aliens. That Bill Paxton likes to overact doesn't he :))

bill-paxton-freaks-out-o.gif
    He should be in the next Expendables film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    BAIN123 wrote:
    He should be in the next Expendables film.

Much better choice than Kelsey Grammer, that's for sure.
    I think the first Alien is better overall but Aliens is nonetheless great entertainment. If Newt screams one more time.... :-$

The first Alien can be used a study on how to create intense suspense onscreen - a real artistic achievement as @DarthDimi described. The second has more of a "blockbuster" feel but is still very enjoyable.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @BAIN123, that's what I love about 'Alien,' how absolutely suspenseful and scary it still is to me to this day. The second one is great for action-packed entertainment sakes.
    The second one has quite a few cheesy moments and doesn't have the nail biting feel of the original.

I'm not sure whether to stick on the Directors Cut of Alien 3. I remember hating the theatrical release when I first saw it though I've heard the DC is better.
    Decided to start the directors cut of #3. Thankfully it's not too bad. It's similar to the first one in terms of the emphasis on horror.
    Bourne Identity - Still my favourite from the trilogy. Felt it was more cinematic than the other two movies. The sequels served the on going story well, though the excessive jerky camera took me out of the latter films too much.
    12 Years A Slave

Quite wonderful.

10/10
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I think the first Alien is better overall but Aliens is nonetheless great entertainment. If Newt screams one more time.... :-$

The first Alien can be used a study on how to create intense suspense onscreen - a real artistic achievement as @DarthDimi described. The second has more of a "blockbuster" feel but is still very enjoyable.

Alien is a masterclass in suspense, set design and art direction, Ridley Scott shows his talent and creates a franchise. Suddenly Star Wars / Star Trek looked like childrens' entertainment.

Aliens is still a brilliant blockbuster movie that stands up to time and gives us Ridley Scotts world and then adds a large dosis of speed. JC did start creating his "strong women" parts and with Ripley he did create a larger than life female heroine. The movie does remain exciting untill the last second.

Alien3 was a daring step back from the blockbusting Alens but did return to the smaller scenario. Both version are different and yet give us a brilliant ending that was bound to happen. This movie could have been great but when studios and director fail to see the same way the viewers end up with shyte.

Alien Ressurection was an attempt to restart the franchise and while "the fans" complain about the monster they forget the brilliant crew and Ripley rebooted that made this movie quite good actually. The story does not follow the usual Hollywood monster sequels but goes into a different direction with a new monster that is more a hybrid between men and the alien. Love the Directors cut ending with that view on Paris. A good moody and Alien chase movie with some nice thrills.

Prometheus is a beautiful shot new infusion of life in the franchise happening before Alien. And while the movie does not answer any question posed by Alien the movie it shows that the story might be bigger and scarier than we did know. God how I long for the sequel by Ridley Scott.
    My alienating ranking

1 Prometheus
    2 Alien
    3 Alien 3
    4 Alien Resurrection
    5 Aliens

(Never cared to watch the predator crossover.)
    My alienating ranking

1 Prometheus
    2 Alien
    3 Alien 3
    4 Alien Resurrection
    5 Aliens

I think you've been out in the sun too long. ;-)
    My alienating ranking

1 Prometheus
    2 Alien
    3 Alien 3
    4 Alien Resurrection
    5 Aliens

I think you've been out in the sun too long. ;-)

It is raining here today. No, not men.