Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

Saw Emma Thompson and Pierce Brosnan in the movie, "The Love Punch". Damn, Emma is good, in anything she does. I know she has won an Oscar. But, I still think she is underrated. I LUV that woman.

Ellis

PS. Sorry for the mistake, boys.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 40,474
    @Ellis, no worries!

It seemed a little goofy to me, but I'd like to get around to watching it.

'12 Years A Slave'

So THAT'S why it won those awards. Just an unbelievably powerful film. One of the most chilling, realistic, moving films I've ever seen in my life. I can't recall the last time a movie made me cry that much. Unbelievable. Fantastic acting all around with a lot of very surprising, award-worthy performances.

'21 Jump Street'

I love the chemistry and supporting cast, and it's pretty funny. Some of the funnier sequences are growing old with the more I see it, unfortunately, but it's typically entertaining enough for a rewatch. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

'Alien'

One of the best horror/sci-fi films out there that does it right: build up the suspense and unveil a horrifically terrifying monster with some very tense, suspenseful, and incredibly frightening scenes. This is Ridley Scott at his finest.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Total Recall (1990)

Nearly forgot how silly and cheesy this film is having not seen it for a while. Michael Ironside and Ronnie Cox are fun, over-the-top villains, Arnold is his usual wooden-yet-entertaining self and the dialogue is bloomin' corny sometimes ("what if this is all a dream? Well then kiss me quick before you wake up") . The old-style special effects give the film some charm and there are a few standout dramatic scenes like when the doctor almost manages to convince Quaid he's still at Recall.

I don't think its one of Arnold's very best but still enjoyable nonsense.

6/10

I like the bit when Ironside meets his death. That really was a Farewell to Arms :D
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I used to love Total Recall, but a rewatch brought me back to reality. It is an awful film. The new version is miles and miles better.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    It is pretty rubbish but I still enjoyed it. Maybe a bit of a guilty pleasure, if anything for Sharon Stone and Ironside.

(Changed my verdict from a 7 to a 6).
    One can enjoy rubbish when in the right mood, so with you there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,894
    FRANKENSTEIN_MUST_BE_DESTROYED_POSTER.jpg

The rape scene... why? Frankenstein was already blackmailing Karl and Anna, and he would end up stabbing and killing Anna (which only add insult to injury) anyway. It's not as if Frankenstein was that sort of criminal, blackmail and theft were the only crimes he'd commit. That scene ruins the film for me, remove it and it would be higher up my list. Cutting the scene would be possible, as no further mention is made. Yes, Anna looks uneasy around Frankenstein, but that could be chalked up to his blackmail of them and/or her not being used to the sight of a dead body.

On a lighter note, wasn't Veronica Carlson one of Hammer's most beautiful actresses? I think it's a toss up between Carlson and Susan Denberg.

Hammer: Frankenstein
    1. Revenge Of Frankenstein (1958)
    2. Curse Of Frankenstein (1957)
    3. Evil Of Frankenstein (1964)
    4. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
    ***5. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)***
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    You keep surprising me, @MajorDSmythe. Your 4 and 5 are my 1 and 2. ;-)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Once upon a time in the West. (1968)
    6668060_f520.jpg
    Pretty good revenge western through and through. It's full of slow buildups with great payoffs. Charles Bronson is very good as usual, doesn't say much. Does most of the acting with his eyes and expressions. The supporting cast is also very good. If you like slow paced westerns this one's for you. 8/10
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    edited May 2014 Posts: 1,812
    Fast & Furious 6 8/10

I missed seeing this in the theater and I'm really sad about that. I'm not sure why I haven't seen it until now but it was a great film with pretty intense action scenes. While it was a little over the top at times I still had a blast watching this. You may not enjoy it as much as me if you're not a fan of the pervious films. The Fast & The Furious movies are in my top three movie franchises, next to Bond and Star Wars.
    I was really sad when I heard the news about Paul Walker and now even more so after seeing Fast & Furious 6. I'm looking forward to his finale performance in Fast & Furious 7, which I won't be missing out on in theaters. I heard they are giving Brian a happy ending at the end of it, which I think is for the best.
    Walker was the reason I got into the first movie as a teenager. The franchise won't be the same without him but it can and will go on. I'm very much looking forward to them.

The Fast & The Furious
    Fast Five
    2 Fast 2 Furious
    Fast & Furious 6
    The Fast & The Furious: Tokyo Drift
    Fast & Furious
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Zardoz (1974)

All I can say is...what the hell did I just watch? :))
    'Aliens'

I loved it even more than my last viewing, and I loved it a lot then. I'm a huge fan of 'Alien' for the creeping suspense and the scares, and I love 'Aliens' for the thrilling action and fights.

'Alien 3'

I think I would say my only big complaint is how they handled the Xenomorph. I know it's not technically CGI, but some after-effect they used to place it into the movie. Half of the time it's an actor in a costume - looks great, no complaints - but when they use the VFX version or whatever it is, it gives off this horribly greenish hue and it looks so incredibly fake, it takes me right out of the movie. Having said that, I know the film went through numerous scripts and directors before - even filming when the script wasn't finished - and a rookie David Fincher handled it well, bringing a form of his darker tone to the movie. I love that he took it and made it his own. The setting is cool, the characters are alright (they don't even come close to matching the cast in the first two films, as this one is filled with dull criminals that we really don't know much about). The gore and the death scenes were handled incredibly well, too. A lot of the deaths looked fantastic.

Surprised I had this much to say about it. I'll save 'Alien: Resurrection' for tomorrow, then 'All The President's Men' after that, I think.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues

I think it was trying too hard. Sure, it had me laughing in some places, but for the majority of the film, well...it just felt a bit meh.
    I really liked Christina Applegate's character, and Brick has an infectious laugh. But overall, I wasn't too impressed.

4/10
    The Invasion (2007)

the-invasion-movie-review3.jpg

I'm not going to diss the cast. Nicole Kidman, Daniel Craig, Jeremy Northam, Jeffrey Wright and Veronica Cartwright are fine actors. But why yet another Body Snatchers film? Exactly, I wouldn't know either.

Granted, the paranoia theme of Finney's novel is flexible enough to suit more contemporary fears, like the fear of some virus spreading through spit, blood, ... That said, with no pods or space seed around, only little of what made the first two incarnations of Body Snatchers work, is left. Some bits they kept, most of them were thrown out. New rules are invented and there are moments, sparse though they are, when The Invasion comes close to achieving its own level of creative tension building. But overall, it's an incoherent mishmash of the things that worked so well in Siegel's and Kaufman's film. It's a surprise to me that the Wachowski's, whom I like, did a rewrite of Dave Kajganich's original screenplay and came no further than this.

Oliver Hirschbiegel's directing, however, isn't too bad. We know him as the great mind behind Das Experiment. He manages to deliver something of an entertaining film, as long as we keep our expectations low enough. But I'm nevertheless disappointed. If you want to re-invent the Body Snatchers story, by all means do so, make it something that addresses modern fears and scares us out of wits. But I'm still a lot more frightened by Kaufman's 70s film than I am by The Invasion. It's too simple and too unrewarding in the end. A missed opportunity.

Film adaptations of Jack Finney's (Invasion Of) The Body Snatchers novel
    1) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
    2) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
    3) Body Snatchers (1993)
    4) The Invasion (2007)
    'American Beauty'

Excellent film, excellent cast (with one of Spacey's best performances), some great dramatic and comedic moments, and it's an all around beautiful movie. It's also directed by Sam Mendes, and there's two nice Bond references in the movie, in a sense.

'Blade Runner'

Words can't describe the beauty of the film I just watched. Absolutely unbelievable. This is hands-down one of the greatest, most unique, thought-provoking sci-fi films I've ever seen in my life. Incredible. It just ended moments ago and I'm ready to watch it again. The visuals, the cast, the set pieces, the story, the ending, the theories, the action, all of it was so so good. Well, it appears this Collector's Edition was worth the blind buy, and I'm looking forward to checking out the other versions of it.

EDIT: I can't get this film off of my mind. It truly blew me away. I think I might go as far as saying that it's my favorite sci-fi film I've ever seen. The atmosphere and ambiance of it really sucks you in, the whole viewing of the movie gave me a feeling that's hard to describe. It's something about the set pieces and environment that completely draws me into it like it's a second reality. It's simply fantastic.

@MayDayDiVicenzo, I thought 'Anchorman 2' was okay, so I found it for about $6 and decided to finally get around to re-watching it tonight, only I went with the Super-Sized R-rated Cut instead. Wow. I got about 15 minutes in and it's just cringe-worthy. The jokes fall flat and you can tell it's just them ad-libbing random trash and they throw it into the film. Yet another movie I regret purchasing.
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    Saving Private Ryan

Had to watch it yesterday, with it being Memorial Day here in the states. My favorite WWII movie.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,551
    Creasy47 wrote:
    'Blade Runner'

Words can't describe the beauty of the film I just watched. Absolutely unbelievable. This is hands-down one of the greatest, most unique, thought-provoking sci-fi films I've ever seen in my life. Incredible. It just ended moments ago and I'm ready to watch it again. The visuals, the cast, the set pieces, the story, the ending, the theories, the action, all of it was so so good. Well, it appears this Collector's Edition was worth the blind buy, and I'm looking forward to checking out the other versions of it.

EDIT: I can't get this film off of my mind. It truly blew me away. I think I might go as far as saying that it's my favorite sci-fi film I've ever seen. The atmosphere and ambiance of it really sucks you in, the whole viewing of the movie gave me a feeling that's hard to describe. It's something about the set pieces and environment that completely draws me into it like it's a second reality. It's simply fantastic.

You're one of us now, @Creasy47!

I have 5 different versions of the film and I always watch all five of them one after the other without growing tired even one moment. The pure magnetic power this film holds over me is second only to 2001's. Vangelis' score is mind blowing. Epic film.

Yes I am! I woke up this morning and decided: it's the best sci-fi film I've ever seen. I, too, own the Collector's Edition with all five versions. My introduction to the movie was the 'Final Cut,' which a lot of people seem to hate because of how it's Ridley's vision on the ending and lacks ambiguity or anything of the sort, but frankly, I loved it. Literally everything about it was perfect, and as you said, that score? Just fantastic, incredible work. Which cut would you recommend?
    Watch all cuts, it is worth it, and gives you no disappointment. Best sci-fi ever along with 2001. And Flash Gordon on Mars.
    I still want to get around to '2001,' if anything just to say I've at least seen it. I hear it's definitely not a film for everyone, as some people say it can get boring when it's ten minutes of nothingness, but I still want to see it and see what I think of it. I might re-watch 'Blade Runner' tonight, it was that good. Any recommendation on what cut I should watch next if I watched the 'Final Cut' last night? I hear that:
    Some of the cuts are the same, only with added violence, and I hear the original versions have a happy ending instead of the ambiguous 'Deckard may be a replicant' ending. I also read that some of the cuts have narrating from Deckard, which can really take away from the tears in the rain scene.
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,551
    I prefer the Final Cut. It doesn't have the voice-over and it's got some of the best colouring going on. I suggest you watch the original Theatrical Cut next.

I also recommend you read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Future-Noir-Making-Blade-Runner/dp/0061053147/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1401216650&sr=8-10&keywords=blade+runner
    That's the main reason I watched it, because of the coloring restoration and that it was Scott's favorite version of the movie. I think I'll watch the Theatrical Cut tonight and see how I feel about it.

I also heard if you loved the film you have to read that book, so I might have to pick it up soon. :-)
    The book is excellent, but quite different from the film. I can recommend it,though.
    @Thunderfinger, you are talking about Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. But @Creasy47 and myself were talking about the book about the making of the film. ;-)
    Well I wanted to dive into my other films tonight because I'm trying to decide what's worth keeping and what I should just trade in for cash, but I don't believe I'll make it to another movie tonight. I just might watch the Theatrical Cut. I know a film is excellent if I can't stop thinking about it and all I want to do is immediately rewatch it.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    @Thunderfinger, you are talking about Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick. But @Creasy47 and myself were talking about the book about the making of the film. ;-)

My bad. But read the dickbook nonetheless, @Creasy47 if you have not.
    I haven't read either of them, so perhaps I'll pick up both at the same time and check them out. I also want to read his short story "We Can Remember It For You Wholesale."
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited May 2014 Posts: 13,894
    Drive Hard (2014)
    Drive-Hard.jpg

Not to me confused wit Drive Angry or Die Hard. It's not one of my top 10 John Cusack films, of which I just so happen to have made a list of, which can be seen <a href="http://www.listal.com/list/my-top-10-films-john">here</a>. If you have 90 minutes to spare, and are in the mood for a goofy action comedy, I guess you could do worse.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited May 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I just might watch the Theatrical Cut.
    The theatrical cut is my favourite (Just showed to my 15 year-old son two nights ago- he loved it and said it was a REAL science fiction film, not just another 'hero' action film, and he appreciated the 'film noir' narration as well ), but I always end up with the international theatrical cut because I can personally handle the extreme violence.
    I think the extreme violence is nice, so I want to watch a cut that doesn't lack that.