Last Movie you Watched?

Comments

• Yesterday I watched Coriolanus starring Ralph Fiennes. It was an excellent movie, with just the right blend of Shakespearean insight with modern sensibilities. The updated setting and battle sequences made it relevant to both politics and modern action movies & video games. The acting was also top-notch, as can be expected in this kind of movie.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Any Day Now (2012)
    As recommended to me by @Creasy47. What a wonderful and tragic film. Very uplifting. 10/10

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 (1993)
    One of the few spoof movie's not starring Leslie Nielsen that I very much enjoyed. It's a great parody of Lethal Weapon with great performances all around. I loved the Bruce Willis cameo. Tim Curry and William Shatner make an interesting team of villains. 10/10
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So happy to hear that you liked it, @Murdock! Beautiful performances, and yes, tragic and upsetting indeed. Alan Cumming blows me away, he's such an underappreciated actor, I feel.
    @Creasy47, yes the film had great performances all around. And yes Alan Cumming is very underrated.
    Murdock wrote:
    @Creasy47, yes the film had great performances all around. And yes Alan Cumming is very underrated.

Did you tear up at all? I'm not sure if films make you cry at all, but I did! Very touching film.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Murdock wrote:

Did you tear up at all? I'm not sure if films make you cry at all, but I did! Very touching film.
    Yes I did when.
    The letter reveals that Marco had died under a bridge looking for Rudy and Paul.
    @Murdock, ahh, that part is so heart-wrenching. I hate it. Marco did an amazing job in the film, though, and Cumming and Dillahunt had amazing chemistry. I'm getting in the mood to watch it again.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)

invasion+trio.jpg

I'm a fan of 70s horror. I'm convinced this decade brought us some of the greatest horror films ever. They are usually very nihilistic, tearing apart traditional comfort zones like the family or Faith; they're bleak and depressing. While these are emotions I try to steer away from in real life, in truth they offer horror films an extra dimension which helps to thicken the fear and gruesomeness one usually seeks in them.

It's probably no surprise then that I prefer one of the ultimate paranoia stories, that of the body snatchers, to be set in this decade. Not only does my viewing experience greatly benefit from the 70s aesthetics, but like the characters I also experience the constant rejection of hope and the struggle with sanity. Morale is at an all time low for me when I watch this film and perhaps that's why I like it so much; the real-life revelation after the film that it's all just a movie, lowers my heart-beat and makes the first smile on my face an extremely pleasant one. However, is it really *just a movie*?

Aided tremendously by Ben Burtt's sound effects, Philip Kaufman's directing and the effective acting by Donald Sutherland, Brooke Adams, Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright and Leonard Nimoy, this powerful version of the body snatchers story keeps getting on my nerves the way it pleases only a true horror fan. Great paranoia films are hard to find. Besides Rosemary's Baby and Invasion Of The Body Snatchers, I know but a minor few worthy of our time. But in an age when your friendly neighbour or best school friend might be plotting against the free world as a member of some terrorist cell, the 1978 version of Invasion Of The Body Snatchers remains dreadfully relevant.

I love this film and if you don't reject 70s cinema, I suggest you watch it. Tomorrow I'm going to watch Abel Ferrara's 1993 version, Body Snatchers.

Film adaptations of Jack Finney's (Invasion Of) The Body Snatchers novel
    1) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
    2) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)

Three fantastic actors!!!
    Death Wish 3 (1985)
    I love cheesy action movies and this one is one of the cheesiest. Full of spoofable lines and memorable. Not a bad movie by any means. Also features a couple of Bond alumni. If you want to shut your brain off and watch bad guys get what's coming with silly quotable lines, then this is the movie for you pallie. ;)
    bronson.jpg
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Murdock wrote:
    Death Wish 3 (1985)
    And Deanna Troi is in it!
    Last movie I watched was The Lion King, and it was excellent!!! Forever my favorite animated film...
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    Murdock wrote:
    Death Wish 3 (1985)

Great movie, just saw it last week myself. If only the world had more Paul Kersey's in it, the trash might finally get cleaned up. Vigilantes for the win!
    Murdock wrote:
    Death Wish 3 (1985)

Great movie, just saw it last week myself. If only the world had more Paul Kersey's in it, the trash might finally get cleaned up. Vigilantes for the win!

Funny you should say that. I'm working on a little film right now in the same kind of vain. ;)
    bruce_murdock__agents_of_illusion__final_poster___by_comandercool22-d7du6lr.jpg
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    X-Men: Days Of Future Past

X_Men_Days_Future_Past_13838031569087.jpg

Wow! About an hour ago I left the theatre and I'm still in awe. I can't say much by now except that I am overtaken with joy and excitement. I LOVE THIS FILM! Bryan Singer did it, guys! With countless references to the previous films, to all of them in fact, and to the original comic miniseries as well, Days Of Future Past is a real treat for an X-Men fan like myself. Any attempt at ranking the X-Men films would be clumsy right now, drunk as I am with fan love for the film, but I expect this one will sit well between in X2 and First Class in my top 3 of favourite X-Men films.

Just one thing: if you haven't seen any of the previous films or read any of the comics, Days Of Future Past will be incomprehensible. It's a film made for the fans. Preferably, you have seen all previous films and it helps to have read a couple of the original Claremont comics too, though that last part isn't mandatory. Either way, having seen X-Men, X2, The Last Stand and First Class may suffice. ;-)
  • Apocalypse Now

For some reason, I've been on a Heart of Darkness kick in recent months, having read that novel and Things Fall Apart, played "Spec Ops: The Line" and finally watched the movie, the most famous of all of them. It's based on Joseph Conrad's novella, but it changes the setting from the Belgian Congo to Vietnam, and with it changes the target of its criticism from European imperialism to American interventionism, along with a few other slight changes to the plot, while keeping the basic spirit. In any event, the movie captures the hellish nature of war and its ruinous effects on the people who fight it, along with Conrad's original observations about the darkness inside everyone that can be revealed at a moment's notice. The acting and cinematography are two of the movie's best aspects, and they do more than their share in capturing the insanity of the Vietnam War.
    Murdock wrote:
    Any Day Now (2012)
    As recommended to me by @Creasy47. What a wonderful and tragic film. Very uplifting. 10/10

National Lampoon's Loaded Weapon 1 (1993)
    One of the few spoof movie's not starring Leslie Nielsen that I very much enjoyed. It's a great parody of Lethal Weapon with great performances all around. I loved the Bruce Willis cameo. Tim Curry and William Shatner make an interesting team of villains. 10/10

Loaded weapon 1 is great fun watched it again recently, very funny film.
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 11,189
    Alien 3 - Directors Cut

What a shame this franchise deteriorated so quickly.

I remember after watching the original theatrical version I really disliked Alien 3 so never watched it again until this week. However I decided to stick the directors cut on as I'd heard it was better. Well it was...at least up until the last hour.

The notion of the tough but relatable Ripley being put amongst a lot of male degenerates and taking lead is decent enough, as we don't know whether we can rely on them or not. Likewise, Ripley's reaction at the deaths of Newt and Hicks feels genuine and powerful, as is the "does she/doesn't she have an alien inside her" scenario. However the film's mistake is killing off the most interesting character other than Ripley prematurely. Charles Dance gives the character of Clemens some gravitas as well as a sense of mystery and you realise how bland and un-engaging most of the other prisoners are once he goes. The majority of them are just weak English tough-guy stereotypes. Soon after Clemens's death you can feel the film start to fall apart. The climax is a mess with the unconvincing alien darting around, cheap speeding up of the camera and bad dialogue mostly consisting of the F-word.

The big dramatic final of Ripley's death salvages things a little, but by that time its too late. Also the human Bishop looks so untrustworthy we're never really in much doubt of the decision Ripley will make.

As others have said they should really have stopped at number 2. You get the feeling Sigourney Weaver herself knows the film isn't up to scratch and is trying to to make the best of poor material.

I'm not going to bother with Resurrection.

5/10
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Alien 3 - Directors Cut

What a shame this franchise deteriorated so quickly.

I remember after watching the original theatrical version I really disliked this film so never watched it again until this week. However I decided to stick the directors cut on as I'd heard it was better. Well it was...at least up until the last hour.

The notion of the tough but relatable Ripley being put amongst a lot of male degenerates and taking lead is decent enough, as we don't know whether we can rely on them or not. Likewise, Ripley's reaction at the deaths of Newt and Higgs feels genuine and powerful, as is the "does she/doesn't she have an alien inside her" scenario. However the film's mistake is killing off the most interesting character other than Ripley prematurely. Charles Dance gives the character of Clemens some gravitas as well as a sense of mystery and you realise how bland and un-engaging most of the other prisoners are once he goes. The majority of them are just weak English tough-guy stereotypes. Soon after Clemens's death you can feel the film start to fall apart. The climax is a mess with the poorly CG'd alien darting around, cheap speeding up of the camera and bad dialogue mostly consisting of the F-word.

The big dramatic final of Ripley's death salvages things a little, but by that time its too late. Also the human Bishop looks so untrustworthy we're never really in much doubt of the decision Ripley will make.

As others have said they should really have stopped at number 2. You get the feeling Sigourney Weaver herself knows the film isn't up to scratch and is trying to to make the best of poor material.

I'm not going to bother with Resurrection.

5/10

Bought the Anthology earlier in the year, Resurrection is not great by any stretch though the directors cut improves it slightly the last scene is a improvement.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Apocalypse Now

For some reason, I've been on a Heart of Darkness kick in recent months, having read that novel and Things Fall Apart, played "Spec Ops: The Line" and finally watched the movie, the most famous of all of them. It's based on Joseph Conrad's novella, but it changes the setting from the Belgian Congo to Vietnam, and with it changes the target of its criticism from European imperialism to American interventionism, along with a few other slight changes to the plot, while keeping the basic spirit. In any event, the movie captures the hellish nature of war and its ruinous effects on the people who fight it, along with Conrad's original observations about the darkness inside everyone that can be revealed at a moment's notice. The acting and cinematography are two of the movie's best aspects, and they do more than their share in capturing the insanity of the Vietnam War.

One of my all time favorite films. I need to watch that again soon; it has been too long.
  • @0Brady: You can get it on Amazon Prime, if you have that and don't own the movie; that's how I saw it. Amazon Prime has a lot of great stuff on it, especially considering their new partnership with HBO (Sopranos and The Wire, here I come!).
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    DarthDimi wrote:

Wow! About an hour ago I left the theatre and I'm still in awe. I can't say much by now except that I am overtaken with joy and excitement. I LOVE THIS FILM! Bryan Singer did it, guys!

Great to hear!!! I can't wait!!!!!
    edited May 2014 Posts: 16,331
    Dirty Harry 5: The Dead Pool. (1988)

Not too bad. It's the weakest in the series in my opinion, but all in all it wasn't a bad movie. I could see they were trying to recapture the feel of the original film with a crazy psychopathic villain but it just didn't work. Rook is nothing compared to Scorpio. I enjoyed the one liners but they felt very restrained in this one and the acting was quite good. Really surprised to see Jim Carrey in the movie. All the Dirty Harry films were pretty good. Of all the movie series to get a fifth film, this one ended on a rather good note. 6/10
  • edited May 2014 Posts: 2,491
    DarthDimi wrote:

Wow! About an hour ago I left the theatre and I'm still in awe. I can't say much by now except that I am overtaken with joy and excitement. I LOVE THIS FILM! Bryan Singer did it, guys! With countless references to the previous films, to all of them in fact, and to the original comic miniseries as well, Days Of Future Past is a real treat for an X-Men fan like myself. Any attempt at ranking the X-Men films would be clumsy right now, drunk as I am with fan love for the film, but I expect this one will sit well between in X2 and First Class in my top 3 of favourite X-Men films.

Just one thing: if you haven't seen any of the previous films or read any of the comics, Days Of Future Past will be incomprehensible. It's a film made for the fans. Preferably, you have seen all previous films and it helps to have read a couple of the original Claremont comics too, though that last part isn't mandatory. Either way, having seen X-Men, X2, The Last Stand and First Class may suffice. ;-)

I saw this tomorrow but I forgot to write here.

I totally agree with everything you said. Amazing movie. One of the best blockbusters of all time.

I personally liked every X-Men movie (bar last years The Wolverine which isn't a X-Men movie but a Logan movie and as such is good) and DOFP is #1 at my X-Men list. First Class is second. If I have to pick #3 I will go with Origins:Wolverine (yes, I said I liked every X-Men movie :D )

The things I didn't liked about this movie was that it was too..normal.. battle at start, set up, action,set up,action, set up, action and it kinda lacked one great battle at the end.

Also I wanted the "other" muntants to be showcased more in this movie. We've seen Magnetto,Prof.X,Wolverine and Mystique so much already.

I think Lawrence is overrated and that they should stop pushing Mystique so much altough she is interesting character but not that much.

Fassbender as Magneto is swearing removed by mod BRILLIANT ! Get this man for a Bond movie already !

Mcavoy's Xavier is totally different than Stewart's. It seemed kinda random at first but his "druggy, I lost faith in humanity" portrayal was great.

Mcavoy and Hugh had one of the best on screen chemistry I've seen in a while.

Quicksilver was great.

The comedy was great.

The action was great.

The references and nods to the past movies were amazing.

I loved this movie, I might even see it a second time.
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Murdock wrote:
    bruce_murdock__agents_of_illusion__final_poster___by_comandercool22-d7du6lr.jpg

I'm...speechless :-/
    dragonsky wrote:

You should teach me that trick, @dragonsky. ;-)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. "Why aren't you getting paid to show off your magical skills in Vegas or something?"
    edited May 2014 Posts: 23,551
    Body Snatchers (1993)

bsnatc93rev.jpg

It would be easy to criticise Abel Ferrara's militarised version of Finney's classic story. A third Body Snatchers film? Who needs that? And what's with this army theme popping in out of nowhere?

However, I quite like this film. I praise its bold departure from where the previous two films had been. This very different take on the paranoia tale is original and, in 1993, very topical too. With the Gulf War still fresh in people's minds, the merits of US military action on the other side of the globe were under fierce debate. The plot of Body Snatchers serves as a metaphor for how soldiers are nothing but brainless pawns who follow orders without thinking for themselves, whose apparent lack of emotions makes them "un-human", like the aliens that we see in the film. Whether one agrees with this point of view or not, it is IMO a clever update of the Red Scare motif from the original film.

Abel Ferrara knows how to confine us on the army base and how to use this location with rather limited possibilities very well as the background for the story. I like the emphasis on dark, reddish colouring and there are some interesting performances to be found in this film too. But every now and then the acting and the story-writing slip into soap series mode, and therein lies perhaps the only serious flaw I can give the film.

Overall, I believe that Body Snatchers exists in the shadows of the previous two films, which were vastly superior in almost every regard, but that doesn't mean this one isn't good. It's an interesting enough horror film with cool transformation effects, albeit a different kind of "organics" versus those of the pods in Kaufman's film. Purists may feel inclined to attack Body Snatchers on the simple element of it being just too different from Finney's novel, but I'm of another opinion. I honestly believe that trying to be something else is a good thing and for what it's worth, the military metaphor actually works quite well.

Film adaptations of Jack Finney's (Invasion Of) The Body Snatchers novel
    1) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1978)
    2) The Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1956)
    3) Body Snatchers (1993)
    DarthDimi wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

:-)) Ellen Page sent my conscience through time :-))

I meant to write yesterday. Stupid typo.

But hey after all the movie is the Days of Future past so it seems relevant lol
    GODZILLA 2014, saw it with my eleven year old daughter and we both really enjoyed the movie. The movie takes its time to build up but the overall pay-off is excellent. Well worth your time and viewing pleasure.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DarthDimi wrote:
    dragonsky wrote:

Did you not learn it watching the film? Will see it last week myself.