Feedback and Suggestions

Comments

• LudsLuds MIA
    It's the way it's build Sam, new software of all types do this now, set a bunch of options on the side as the main pane is used for your report, document or discussion. That's the trend.

I doubt polls and who's online will ever be placed anywhere else, it would be a big change.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,182
    username" appears in the text box where you're writing. It would be a handy feature, ensuring no misspelled replies are made.
    Quoting Samuel001: Will the poll options and "who is online list" be moved to the top and bottom of the screen at some stage? At the moment it feels as if everything important has just been shoved in the right hand side, suggesting the site is low on space though it's not.
    Quoting Luds: It's the way it's build Sam, new software of all types do this now, set a bunch of options on the side as the main pane is used for your report, document or discussion. That's the trend.

I doubt polls and who's online will ever be placed anywhere else, it would be a big change.
    I understand why polls can't go to the top of the page. Maybe they could be above the In this Discussion list. Or even above the Categories list. Because the most important thing in a poll thread is the poll itself I think, so it should be at the top...
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Quoting Luds: It's the way it's build Sam, new software of all types do this now, set a bunch
    of options on the side as the main pane is used for your report, document or
    discussion. That's the trend.

Ok then. I had no idea if such a thing was possible but thought I'd ask anyway. The main reason, as @gt007 said is, the poll needs to be visible in a poll thread. It never found one when looking for it, and happened across one by chance as I was scrolling up and down the screen on a page that (unknowinly) had a poll and though "what are funny orange lines?".

I suppose is does come down to new users, would they be able to tell where they're located?
    Wow. Just signed in for the first time in a while. Looks a lot different, but its kind of a refreshing change. Weird to see all these changes though, thought I'd clicked on the wrong link haha.
  • It says I have three messages in my Inbox but alas I have not as I'm not that popular.
    Any ideas?
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    @dancelittlefinger
    Quoting Luds:
    Quoting lalala2004: my little "inbox" button has had a 1 by it for several days
    It's a vanilla bug, inbox shows new content counter because someone sent you a PM and deleted the conversation before you had the chance to read it. It should evidently reset at 0. It's been sent to those lads for fixin'
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 886
    Quoting DiscoVolante: Quoting Luds:
    Quoting lalala2004: my little "inbox" button has had a 1 by it for several days

It's a vanilla bug, inbox shows new content counter because someone sent you a PM and deleted the conversation before you had the chance to read it. It should evidently reset at 0. It's been sent to those lads for fixin'

Aah thank you for that DV.
    I wondered about the PM thing, crap... now it's like not getting to the phone in time and no-on leaves a message.
    I'm wondering about those deleted PM's now..what were they and who from...
    :-?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I've updated the roadmap with poll location and @ reply button.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    Is it just me, or the dynamic links don't work with Google Chrome..? I just started using Chrome and they don't seem to work properly... For example, I had 34 unread posts in Should Craig only do a trilogy of films? and the link took me to the fourth post of the thread...

Also the Permalink doesn't seem to work either... This link is supposed to lead to the fourth post of the thread, but it takes me to the tenth...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    @gt007 I'm using chrome build 10.0.648.151 and the link you provided took me to the 4th post, and the dynamic links work fine. !?
  • DiscoVolanteDiscoVolante Stockholm, Sweden
    That's really strange gt. Chrome works perfectly fine for me.
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    Quoting gt007: Also the Permalink doesn't seem to work either... This link is supposed to lead to the fourth post of the thread, but it takes me to the tenth...
    It won't centre on the post, it will put it to the very top of your window. Is that not what you're seeing?
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    I'm terribly sorry guys, you're right. It was my fault, one add-on I installed caused the problem.
    Both the dynamic links and the permalink work perfectly. Sorry again.
    Is there info in the User's guide for the code to use if you want to post a picture, or you want to put text in "Bold" or "Italics" ? ?
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited March 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting Bond_Ed: Is there info in the User's guide for the code to use if you want to post a picture, or you want to put text in "Bold" or "Italics" ? ?
    It's in the How to Guide available in the Announcements section on the right.
  • retrokittyretrokitty The Couv
    Quoting Bond_Ed: Is there info in the User's guide for the code to use if you want to post a picture, or you want to put text in "Bold" or "Italics" ? ?
    Or you could bookmark and use this HTML code generator
    Quoting Luds:
    It's in the How to Guide available in the Announcements section on the right
    Thanks for HTML link !

http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/372/mi6-community-a-how-to-guide#HTML
    Any thoughts being given to having the author of the thread show somewhere? When someone is asking us to see their work, I like to know who it is. There isn't time to read or even dip into every thread.
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    Quoting retrokitty: Any thoughts being given to having the author of the thread show somewhere? When someone is asking us to see their work, I like to know who it is. There isn't time to read or even dip into every thread.
    That's so funny! I just came into this thread to suggest that.
    B-)
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Quoting retrokitty: Any thoughts being given to having the author of the thread show somewhere? When someone is asking us to see their work, I like to know who it is. There isn't time to read or even dip into every thread.
    You can access a member's threads in their profile under the Discussions tab
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    I'm sorry, but why is the board 24 hours behind the actual time? The posts made since midnight here are listed as 'April 2', while it's the 3rd here. The list of 'who's online' lists everyone's last activity as April 2nd.
    Luds, I meant showing the author next to the thread... I scroll through the threads in Discussion view and there are some I'd be more interested in if I knew who the author was - more importantly than who the last responder was. We used to be able to see who started the thread and who the last person to respond was. That was very handy.
  • tqbtqb
    I have to be honest.. I absolutely hate these new forums. I think they're organized weird and all the old posts are gone.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,986
    Quoting tqb: I have to be honest.. I absolutely hate these new forums. I think they're organized weird and all the old posts are gone.
    It's been quite a shock for all of us. Hopefully after some time you'll begin to enjoy some of the new features of the forum. As for the posts, well sadly the rug was pulled from under our feet.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    And it just started again - the board thinks I'm living 24 hours in the past. Whatever post I or anyone makes today are marked as April 8 (which is yesterday).
  • LudsLuds MIA
    edited April 2011 Posts: 1,986
    @DaltonCraig007 The issue to have both Date & Time stamp display for all posts rather than only Date for posts made over 24h ago and only Time stamp for posts made earlier than 24h ago is known and in the queue. What I just wrote isn't exact either, it's based on the time of the central server system I suppose, so when that server changes days, all posts likely switch as well based on the central time.

The actual display for all of us depends on the settings in your browser which itself takes the info from the Regional Settings from your Operating system. Not sure where the issue lies in this case but we've taken notice.

The admins may have some clarifications?
    edited April 2011 Posts: 15,690
    @Luds What I meant is that everything is listed as the day before it actually happened. My profile says I registered on March 13th, but I actually joined on the 14th. Apparently I created the Liz Taylor RIP thread the day before she died... The post you just made is listed as April 8... Here it is the 9th, and I'm sure it's the 9th where you live as well. Every single post made on this forum is time stamped the day before the day is actually happened.

This thread http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/339/burmathailand-earthquake-24th-march-2011-#Item_2 was apparently created on the 23rd... So barryt must have psychic powers to predict the earthquake the day before.
  • JamesPageJamesPage Administrator, Moderator, Director
    We changed the core serverntime to GMT yesterday, so there will be a few anomalies around the time of the switch, as time effectively ran backwards for a couple of hours.
    A 'couple' of hours? 20+ hours, actually.
This discussion has been closed.