Feedback and Suggestions

Comments

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    An announcement put into the 'News' category would appear in the 'Skyfall' category as well, when searching for instance? This seems rather odd.

These two forums:

http://community.cartalk.com/
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/

have the announcements specific to a select category. Would that not work? As long as you're viewing the forum via the category view and not 'All Discussions' it should be OK, right?

Here's a great list of what else is out there:

http://www.socialcontentreview.com/discuss/discussion/3/sites-that-are-using-vanilla-forum-software
  • I would like to see a delete button option. On the Gun Barrel thread I did not realize I posted a comment already, so I posted another comment by mistake. It would come in handy.
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    edited February 2013 Posts: 784
    MI6 wrote:
    There's a number of feature's we want to implement, given the time and the technology available. We have to prioritise them based on their

@WillardWhyte that is one we want to fix and will be looking into, there was a bug in the software that we personally fixed that made the main indexes jump to the right pages. We've been hoping the developers will address that for a while now.

Thanks MI6, I appreciate the support! I hope for a smooth transition!
  • MI6MI6 Administrator
    Samuel001 wrote:
    An announcement put into the 'News' category would appear in the 'Skyfall' category as well, when searching for instance? This seems rather odd.

These two forums:

http://community.cartalk.com/
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/

have the announcements specific to a select category. Would that not work? As long as you're viewing the forum via the category view and not 'All Discussions' it should be OK, right?

Here's a great list of what else is out there:

http://www.socialcontentreview.com/discuss/discussion/3/sites-that-are-using-vanilla-forum-software

It looks like the announcement fix is coming in the next stable version of the software. I don't know why or how the above forums are running a version that has not been fully tested in public, but we won't upgrade until it's cleared and fully tested and as yet the makers have not given an ETA.
    edited February 2013 Posts: 13,350
    Thanks for the reply @MI6. Good to know this should be up and coming at some stage.

It's also interesting to note some of these forums have more of a 'classic' look. If it's something people are after maybe that could be looked at.
  • jka12002jka12002 Banned
    Is it possible to implement a delete post button on the forums? Im pretty sure the mods are annoyed by having to close topics all the time.

It's extremely tiresome having threads overrun by zealous do-gooders pointing out to all and sundry that this or that topic is a duplicate or doesn't warrant a thread in its own right.

I would really appreciate those eager squealers (you know who you are) contenting themselves with a quick click of the 'flag' button. Thus alerting the mods to a possible infraction without boring the rest of us with endless holier-than-thou missives.
    You have to post a link to the correct thread so you holier-than-thou missives know where to continue. We also flag, both are needed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited February 2013 Posts: 28,694
    Anon wrote:
    It's extremely tiresome having threads overrun by zealous do-gooders pointing out to all and sundry that this or that topic is a duplicate or doesn't warrant a thread in its own right.

I would really appreciate those eager squealers (you know who you are) contenting themselves with a quick click of the 'flag' button. Thus alerting the mods to a possible infraction without boring the rest of us with endless holier-than-thou missives.
    As the astute Sherlock Holmes would say: "Heroes don't exist, and if they did, I wouldn't be one of them."

There is no reason, nor will there be to have more than one thread on a topic. What is the bloody point, really of having more? If we don't step in then this place becomes a cluttered mess, which isn't good for anyone.

But, feel free to complain until the day grows dark.
    Samuel001 wrote:
    You have to post a link to the correct thread so you holier-than-thou missives know where to continue. We also flag, both are needed.

I disagree. Having been alerted to a duplicate thread by means of a flag, the mod who closes the thread can include the 'carry on here' link in the final post. Or better still just merge the old and new.

There is no reason, nor will there be to have more than one thread on a topic. What is the bloody point, really of having more? If we don't step in then this place becomes a cluttered mess, which isn't good for anyone.

I'm not saying you shouldn't step in. Just use 'flag' and let the mods do the rest. I'd rather have the clutter of temporary duplication than the uber-clutter of temporary duplication coupled with a chorus of competitive disapproval.

You whistle-blowers do a valuable service I'm sure, but I would prefer it if you did it on the q.t.
    I wanted to ask about the attack today. What was it? I mean, isn't it weird that someone that seems to post regularly and normaly suddenly takes that kind of offensive action? Fortunately the mods contained the situation under contral and we can still enjoy this community in the proper way.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Anon wrote:

And those of us 'zealous do-gooders' who try to assist you by pointing you in the original thread direction wouldn't have to do such a thing if you had just taken the time to search for an original thread in the first place. Is it really that straining and tiresome on the eyes? It can't be. I just don't see how it's so hard for some people.
    Creasy47 wrote:
    Anon wrote:

And those of us 'zealous do-gooders' who try to assist you by pointing you in the original thread direction wouldn't have to do such a thing if you had just taken the time to search for an original thread in the first place. Is it really that straining and tiresome on the eyes? It can't be. I just don't see how it's so hard for some people.

Just to clarify - I'm making this suggestion as a reader and occasional poster, not as someone who's had their thread closed down and feels a sense of injustice. I've never had a thread of mine closed down.

How about a compromise? You carry on posting your assists, but if another user has got there first, please don't chime in with another. That's what creates the clutter I find so tedious to wade through.
    @Anon, you needn't tell me. Any time I enter a duplicate thread with an original thread link, I exit immediately. A majority of others, for unknown reasons and who also complain about this, seem to continue posting. If I've entered a duplicate thread and I'm the first one to post the link, I move on, as well. There's no sense in sticking around or posting another link when one has already been given. As you've said, it adds clutter and is pointless.
  • In the page "Mistakes - Live And Let Die" ([url="Here:"]http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/movies/lald_mistakes.php3?t=mi6&s=lald[/url]) you write:
    In the U.N., the U.K. is shown seated next to Honduras, but countries are actually seated in alphabetical order.

Well... The UK is one of the 5 permanent members of the Security Council wich have a special place in the UN Assembly. Ten other members are elected for two years. Obvously, in the movie, Honduras was amongst these, hence being next to the UK... Consider correcting the entry.
  • THEBond007THEBond007 Banned
    You can delete discussion so people can make new ones
    I suppose this isn't either, but it's something I've had a problem with lately, and I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same happen to them: I constantly get signed out. Most of the time, I go to a different website, and it signs me out. Other times, I'll sign in, click a whole bunch of different threads, and then a majority of them tell me I don't have permission to add a comment because I have been signed out again. It's only happened in the past few weeks, and even though I click 'Keep Me Signed In,' (or whatever it says at the login screen), it still does it. Any tips?
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I get signed out when I use the new search bar. :-??
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:
    I suppose this isn't either, but it's something I've had a problem with lately, and I'm not sure if anyone else has had the same happen to them: I constantly get signed out. Most of the time, I go to a different website, and it signs me out. Other times, I'll sign in, click a whole bunch of different threads, and then a majority of them tell me I don't have permission to add a comment because I have been signed out again. It's only happened in the past few weeks, and even though I click 'Keep Me Signed In,' (or whatever it says at the login screen), it still does it. Any tips?

Weird. This hasn't happen to me, though when I clicked on a Nikki van der Zyl thread recently and it opened in a new window I got signed out while in that same window.
    Damn annoying also when the page goes static and you have to go out and come back in through the entrance, so to speak. I hope it saved my work. Couldn't find the little x thing that usually resolves it, so had no alternative, but it's no great problem
    Interesting. Maybe it coincides for some with the new search bar? I'm not sure. I do use it, just not enough to find a correlation between the two.
    edited March 2013 Posts: 28,694
    I was wondering what is going on with the commenting function today. To post a comment or quote/reply to someone else's you are sent to a new window away from the thread you are posting in (same goes for editing and flagging posts), and none of the functions in the comment window from code for hiding spoilers to code for posting images is unavailable.

Is anyone else experiencing this?
    I was wondering what is going on with the commenting function today. To post a comment or quote/reply to someone else's you are sent to a new window away from the thread you are posting in (same goes for editing and flagging posts), and none of the functions in the comment window from code for hiding spoilers to code for posting images is unavailable.

Having the exact same problems; I PM'd a mod about it, wasn't sure who else it was going on with. Do me a favor and try to resize your thumbnail? I don't even have a box to resize mine, curious as to if that's a problem with you, too.
    Creasy47 wrote:

Having the exact same problems; I PM'd a mod about it, wasn't sure who else it was going on with. Do me a favor and try to resize your thumbnail? I don't even have a box to resize mine, curious as to if that's a problem with you, too.

I am glad I'm not the only one. I just tried to resize my thumbnail but the feature doesn't seem to be working for either.
    Yeah, it seems to be a multitude of problems. I noticed another one, but forgot to return and post it. I'm guessing it would be happening for you, as well.
  • =bg= username revelead that here you can sign in with a username that will make the quote fails
    =bg= username revelead that here you can sign in with a username that will make the quote fails
    Yeah, I have noticed that. And the comment function is still not working correctly. Anyone have any idea what is wrong?
    I've noticed I also cannot comment on people's Activity for some reason, and I may have already said it, but I'll go to send a PM (only happened with two mods when I initiated a conversation, not when I replied to one), but it would allow me to click 'Start Discussion,' and wouldn't take me anywhere. Kept it there, as if it didn't send the message, but it showed up in my Inbox as having done so.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    If i choose to "open the page in a new tab" the newly open tab stops loading so only half or less of the page is seen. It is bloody annoying sometimes!
    MrBond wrote:
    If i choose to "open the page in a new tab" the newly open tab stops loading so only half or less of the page is seen. It is bloody annoying sometimes!

It works fine for me.
This discussion has been closed.