The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

I just mean setting one prior to SP. In between QoS and SF would not be much of a stretch.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    FoxRox wrote: »
    I just mean setting one prior to SP. In between QoS and SF would not be much of a stretch.

It would just be weird, to randomly go back in time and Dench is suddenly around again. The break between QoS and SF well set about the idea that those years in Bond's life saw him continually growing as an agent, and I don't need more context. I think one of the only reasons people want a movie of that sort is because they want a standalone, no matter how screwy the timeline must get to foster that.
    Basically I’m in that camp, yeah. Standalone would be cool. Ignoring its few ties to SP though SF is pretty standalone.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Basically I’m in that camp, yeah. Standalone would be cool. Ignoring its few ties to SP though SF is pretty standalone.

I don't really agree (I think all the films are the long journey of a man and agent over many years and mistakes/trials that constantly call back to and feed into one another) but those standalones are probably coming with the next guy, whenever he arrives. I just don't see EON rushing to Bond #7 after 2019, as they will have to take some time to think about where the series can or should go, if its life continues to be in film.
    I’m just worried about how they will continue Craig’s story from SP. It seems almost destined to just repeat the past and fall into an OHMSS situation. Perhaps a faithful YOLT adaptation could be good though? One scene I always wanted on the big screen was Bond strangling Blofeld to death. It would be very brutal and dramatic.
    I’m just worried about how they will continue Craig’s story from SP. It seems almost destined to just repeat the past and fall into an OHMSS situation. Perhaps a faithful YOLT adaptation could be good though? One scene I always wanted on the big screen was Bond strangling Blofeld to death. It would be very brutal and dramatic.

I'm not. EON are in a tough position now, but from the choices that've been made thus far, I think there will be more surprises than there will be old ground being tread on again with Bond 25. The simple fact that it's known and accepted to be Dan's last film gives them some room to do some fascinating things. In an effort to go out with a bang as Dan suggests, I don't think they'll waste time doing OHMSS again or anything that is expected.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    CR was the prequel. What are we on about?

I think we're talking even before that. The whole young JB storyline. Some months ago, there was talk of a new James Bond universe. I am not for or against that at the moment, but any "earlier" origin story would probably be part of that JB universe thingy.
    TripAces wrote: »
    CR was the prequel. What are we on about?

I think we're talking even before that. The whole young JB storyline. Some months ago, there was talk of a new James Bond universe. I am not for or against that at the moment, but any "earlier" origin story would probably be part of that JB universe thingy.

Yes, I know what you meant, but I couldn't pass up being cheeky even though there is some truth to my statement. Like a prequel, CR and the subsequent films have realized the idea of showing us how James Bond became JAMES BOND as we know him, with his personality altered to fit Dan's take. But anyway...

I don't think we'll see or need a Bond cinematic universe, simply because nobody cares to see (I hope) solo films that aren't focused on Bond. I don't want a Moneypenny film just to watch her work on her taxes in between her hours at her desk, or see what dull things Tanner gets up to after works. The only character I could see a spin-off working with is Felix, but again, he's not James Bond and works best as the sidekick and American brother in arms to 007.

As for a prequel going into Bond's history, I don't see the demand for this. I mean, people get offended and upset over seeing things in the films that are adapting Fleming's view of Bond's early life/past, so imagine what the reaction would be if a spin-off/prequel came out documenting a period of Bond's life Fleming gave very scant details about? We saw the fan reaction to SF and the audacity Mendes had to show Bond growing up where Fleming said he grew up, and showing off the home he would've had, the correct names of his parents, the story of their deaths that orphaned Bond, etc. If fans don't even want to see pretty faithful treatments of what Fleming implied of Bond's past, claiming we see too much, then I'd say a prequel of his early life is also out of the question.

I don't even know what would be in a Bond prequel these days. If this was the 50s or 60s you'd at least be able to show that Bond in his war days serving the UK, but in the present day with the only major war applicable being either Afghanistan or Iraq, the "modern" Bond wouldn't have a war record like Fleming's original and so you'd think his prequel film would be kind of empty. At most maybe we see Bond's exploits with the Royal Navy, but again, that would be just like a regular Bond film where Bond gets a mission and must face an enemy, at which point you'd wonder why EON wouldn't just make it a regular Bond film set in the present day.

I think EON aren't going to go for this cinematic universe garbage, and I really don't know how these rumors get started. Perhaps it's thought that, since a spin-off was pondered in 2002, the EON of today are still planning to inter-connect their films? Just doesn't smack genuine to me. The Bond films have always been their own thing, even when every other franchise has jumped a shark to their deaths, gone cold or bought into the over saturation of films that we see with Star Wars, Marvel, DC, etc. I think Bond is smart to keep going as it always has. In a time when the market is drowning in competing interests and studios are trying in desperation to cobble together projects to make Marvel money, EON's approach to Bond is largely refreshing. If the films could find a way to get onto a more steady and dependable cycle, like a release somewhere between every 2 1/2 or 3 years, I don't see anything to complain about.
  • edited November 2017 Posts: 12,837
    I don't want a full on prequel but a film with a plot linking back to Bond's military career (maybe the PTS could show a snapshot of it then fast forward to present day after the titles?) would be cool.

I find it weird that they've really latched onto the idea of exploring his childhood when that part of his past has been left pretty much untouched. If they wanted to go the tragic origin story route then they could have had him haunted by some mistake he made in the Marines/SBS for example, instead of playing up the dead parents angle and giving him a long lost brother.

I think a Marvel style universe is a depressing thought but I think if EON do sell up to someone keen on expanding then there are potentially interesting ways of doing it. I loved the whole Split/Unbreakable thing for example.
    If Bond's military service was sort of brought back up, it would be interesting to see something of his past brought back to him while on an unrelated mission. Like an old friend he used to have who was dishonorably discharged from the navy after taking steep actions in the field and went off the grid, showing up only in correlation with an enemy of Bond's on a mission where he finds out that his old friend has foggier morals than ever and is the leader of a private military company that offers their services to the highest bidder. Bond's fight with the PMC would heat up before he knew who the real leader of it was, or that it was his older solider friend.

But it's a personal-ish storyline and could recall too much of Bond and Alec, so I couldn't see anything like it happening in the near future.
    If Bond's military service was sort of brought back up, it would be interesting to see something of his past brought back to him while on an unrelated mission. Like an old friend he used to have who was dishonorably discharged from the navy after taking steep actions in the field and went off the grid, showing up only in correlation with an enemy of Bond's on a mission where he finds out that his old friend has foggier morals than ever and is the leader of a private military company that offers their services to the highest bidder. Bond's fight with the PMC would heat up before he knew who the real leader of it was, or that it was his older solider friend.

But it's a personal-ish storyline and could recall too much of Bond and Alec, so I couldn't see anything like it happening in the near future.

It could happen eventually, but in the short term I think I'd like to see a former navy contact/friend of Bond, Hosein-style, who 007 briefly goes to for information. That would be a good way of subtly and elegantly adding an element of Bond's past to a film.

Forgive me if this was posted somewhere in this thread, but this is an absolutely awesome tribute video to Craig and his era as Bond.

That was really good! Enjoyed that a lot!
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Daniel+Craig+Annette+Bening+Museum+Moving+OCwgeNuG7ATl.jpg

Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli at the Museum of the Moving Image Salute to Annette Bening in New York.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Wow. Daniel rocks that look!
  • Wow. Daniel rocks that look!

You think so? To me he looks like Santa wearing his civilian clothes.
    Wow. Daniel rocks that look!
    You think so? To me he looks like Santa wearing his civilian clothes.
    I wasn't equalizing the look in parallel to Bond. He does look good in that photograph.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I can see what he is doing with his right hand, but where is the left?
    He left it somewhere.

"Not here, Dan!"
    mattjoes wrote: »

"Not here, Dan!"

"More-ummm...there!"
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world

Flexing his little finger. ;)

To the right, Dan! To the right!
  • edited December 2017 Posts: 15,818
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Daniel Craig and Barbara Broccoli at the Museum of the Moving Image Salute to Annette Bening in New York.

Daniel looks good. If his hair and beard were white he could go for the Sean in Hunt For Red October look.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    This look suits him better than the clean shaven one currently does imho.
    How about this look for Bond?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wouldn't be surprised, if they're going for old man Logan. He was half way there with this look in SF before MP shaved him down. I can live with it, if they're advancing the timeline.
    I'd rather they don't.
    Could work in theory. I wouldn’t be totally opposed.
    I'd rather not, actually. I just want him to look like Bond.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I'd rather not, actually. I just want him to look like Bond.

But if Daniel Craig is Bond, then isn't it the case that whatever he looks like is what Bond looks like?

article-1299585392921-0d849d43000005dc-177175_636x300.jpg