The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I keep forgetting that this is an Agatha Christie style ensemble. I wonder if it has anything to do with why Branagh moved Death on the Nile to 2020 (too similar).
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    doubleoego wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Something to see then.

lol, never understood the JLC fixation (until true lies, i mean). What a cast, eh?

Did you not see trading places? I saw that film when I was about 6 years old and I recognised JLC was a special kind of girl.

Or A Fish Called Wanda?
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Toni Collette joins Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Lakeith Stanfield, Michael Shannon, Don Johnson, Jamie Lee Curtis and Ana de Armas in Knives Out.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/toni-collette-rian-johnsons-knives-out-1203014601/

A reunion for DC and Collette.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Christopher Plummer joins Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Lakeith Stanfield, Michael Shannon, Toni Collette, Don Johnson, Jamie Lee Curtis and Ana de Armas in Knives Out.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And a great cast continues growing
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    It'd be the second collaboration between Plummer and Craig, following Dragon Tattoo.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This cast is getting better and better, so hoping that Johnson can reinvent that classic Agatha Christie style and give DC a role and film that will be creatively successful as well as financially.

Would be nice to see him get a box office hit as well as critical hit outside of Bond.

Judging by the talent that this project has managed to hook the script and concept must be very enticing.

At least we'll have a Daniel Craig film to look forward to in 2019 now.

I seriously can't wait to see this first few stills of this production to be revealed and DC's look for the film.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

The cinematography of the Craig era never fails to amaze me.
    That is a beautifully edited video
    Remington wrote: »

We've been the luckiest of fans. Fukunaga has a lot live up to.

We've been the luckiest of fans. Fukunaga has a lot live up to.

With taking my opinion on SPECTRE into account when looking at that compilation in light of some of the words some have been using to describe this era in retrospection I think we were damn lucky to get what we did with Daniel Craig's tenure.

No it's not been perfect but for me and I imagine several others it's night and day compared to the previous one (sorry with the excpetion of GE I plain don't like it).

Although those that appreciate are likely to have said it already, to me it's been a pleasure to be a Bond fan despite having that seriously bought into question for me personally over 3 years ago.

Fukunga has indeed got his work cut out, although I think he's up to the task and feel that Cary Fukunaga Bond film feels that more a reality than a Danny Boyle one ever did.
  • Hear hear. I've said before that regardless of how history looks back on, say, SP, it's a beautiful-looking film.
  • The moaning about Spectre really shows me how high the standard of recent Bond films have been. If we'd have had Spectre after AVTAK, or DAD, it'd have been hailed a near-classic. I'm still surprised to see so many people moan about it. It oozes class.
    It's the brothergate angle, the piss filter and Craig trying to be Moore sometimes the irritates the most, I think. For me, it's just the piss filter and the poor story.
    It's the brothergate angle, the piss filter and Craig trying to be Moore sometimes the irritates the most, I think. For me, it's just the piss filter and the poor story.

Same. Along with the score and poor writing.
    I’m in the middle of SP right now. It does belong in the bottom section of my list, but I do like some parts of it. It’s kind of a frustrating experience, seeing as I think Craig’s other Bond films are so good, but it’s not a 100% failure. There are a lot of ways it could have been done better though.

Always loved this video.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,043
    shamanimal wrote: »
    The moaning about Spectre really shows me how high the standard of recent Bond films have been. If we'd have had Spectre after AVTAK, or DAD, it'd have been hailed a near-classic. I'm still surprised to see so many people moan about it. It oozes class.

It lacks any suspense save the PTS, it has the most boring car chase in cinema history, Waltz is practically asleep compared to his work in IB and other performances.

I know some can see past brothergate but I certainly can't also Newman's score is a load of cut and paste rubbish.

I pretty much loved this era till that film and to go from being one of it's biggest fans to thinking that this film for me is the worst Bond film of the series, I think says it all.

It gets that ranking due to the way it squandered the opportunity and made a mockery of what they could have done with SP and Blofeld, it's embarassing to be honest.

Though I agree there are worst films in the series I don't really care about those whereas I invested so much in the Craig films so to be rewarded with SPECTRE and all it's problems that is why I feel so passionately about it as I do.

It ozzes failure and a rush job is what it oozes
    Shardlake wrote: »
    The moaning about Spectre really shows me how high the standard of recent Bond films have been. If we'd have had Spectre after AVTAK, or DAD, it'd have been hailed a near-classic. I'm still surprised to see so many people moan about it. It oozes class.

It lacks any suspense save the PTS, it has the most boring car chase in cinema history, Waltz is practically asleep compared to his work in IB and other performances.

I know some can see past brothergate but I certainly can't also Newman's score is a load of cut and paste rubbish.

I pretty much loved this era till that film and to go from being one of it's biggest fans to thinking that this film for me is the worst Bond film of the series, I think says it all.

It gets that ranking due to the way it squandered the opportunity and made a mockery of what they could have done with SP and Blofeld, it's embarassing to be honest.

Though I agree there are worst films in the series I don't really care about those whereas I invested so much in the Craig films so to be rewarded with SPECTRE and all it's problems that is why I feel so passionately about it as I do.

I share the frustration and wish it had lived up to the previous Craig films. The energy level is too low and Craig’s Bond is a bit too silly. I choose to stay optimistic though that Bond 25 can recapture the excitement of Craig’s first 3 and be a good sendoff.

Same. Along with the score and poor writing.

Forgot about the score...well..it's forgettable, right?
  • The odd thing about the brother angle was, Bond didn't at any time bat an eyelid over the 'brother betrayal'. If it was added to supply some emotional weight, it didn't. But it didn't really spoil anything for me. I thought the film was a good bookend to Craig's tenure. I'd hope it was, anyway.
    FoxRox wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »

I share the frustration and wish it had lived up to the previous Craig films. The energy level is too low and Craig’s Bond is a bit too silly. I choose to stay optimistic though that Bond 25 can recapture the excitement of Craig’s first 3 and be a good sendoff.

I'm optimistic it will, the fact Mendes is nowhere near is a great start. He should have done one and one only, when directors say they only really have one film in them it should taken as that, not lure them back just because the last one was such a success.

Now he's nowhere near Bond 25 I can relax, to think some here were advocating it would be ok for him to return.

Yes to return and totally put the final nail in the coffin of such a promising era, I think those that wanted this where hoping just that.
    Craig trying to be Moore is not a problem in the slightest. SP suffers mainly for its story containing scenes that aren't tailored well together. The whole film feels like a "Best of Bond" compilation while also injecting melodrama in it, like the unbelievable Bond falling in love with Madeleine angle, the dull-witted brothergate angle that's anything but unoriginal, anything but well-realized, and a pedestrian set of lines.

The film lacks suspense, has a composure of dull action scenes as if they were filmed by a student director for a school project who's just climbing the ropes, all in all, the characters dance to the writers' wishes, much like Skyfall. I shouldn't be surprised.

CR and QoS on the other hand deliver films that easily pass as believable action thrillers. So, no. No high standards are set. They're nothing special, these last two films. Cinematographically, perhaps, but nothing else.
    Craig trying to be Moore is not a problem in the slightest. SP suffers mainly for its story containing scenes that aren't tailored well together. The whole film feels like a "Best of Bond" compilation while also injecting melodrama in it, like the unbelievable Bond falling in love with Madeleine angle, the dull-witted brothergate angle that's anything but unoriginal, anything but well-realized, and a pedestrian set of lines.

The film lacks suspense, has a composure of dull action scenes as if they were filmed by a student director for a school project who's just climbing the ropes, all in all, the characters dance to the writers' wishes, much like Skyfall. I shouldn't be surprised.

CR and QoS on the other hand deliver films that easily pass as believable action thrillers. So, no. No high standards are set. They're nothing special, these last two films. Cinematographically, perhaps, but nothing else.

Though although you didn't I found SF suspenseful and exciting it had it's issues but I had a whale of a time and still go back to it and enjoy it.

Which is why when I see them lumped together I scratch my head, I really think a totally different director turned up to direct SP to the one that did SF.

Also bar GE I see nothing in the Brosnan era that put me on the edge of my seat.
    I agree with you @Shardlake. SF is so superior to SP in every way that it’s hard to believe it’s from the same director. Same case for Guy Hamilton having done both GF (one of my very favorites) but also DAF (IMO one of the weakest).
    SF is more competently handled than SP. I'll give it that. It knew where it was going thematically and tonally. Don't see anything else that warrants a special treatment given to it, however. Again, the action scenes don't cut it, but at least - compared to SP - they are a bit livelier. The subway scene and the first half of the Skyfall climax are handled well. But, the courtroom shootout is very pedestrian (an archetype for the action scenes in SP overall). Mendes doesn't have what it takes to execute great action scenes, in my opinion. He weighs in on the emotion of the story (what little of it there is), which he succeeded in SF, but failed miserably in SP.
    Take the best of Craig's first three Bonds and deliver a classic, but modern and edgy action/spy thriller.
    .The tone, action, and Craig of CR.
    .The look, sound, and breathlessness of QOS.
    .The cinematography of SF.

And keep the runtime at around two hours.
    SF is more competently handled than SP. I'll give it that. It knew where it was going thematically and tonally. Don't see anything else that warrants a special treatment given to it, however. Again, the action scenes don't cut it, but at least - compared to SP - they are a bit livelier. The subway scene and the first half of the Skyfall climax are handled well. But, the courtroom shootout is very pedestrian (an archetype for the action scenes in SP overall). Mendes doesn't have what it takes to execute great action scenes, in my opinion. He weighs in on the emotion of the story (what little of it there is), which he succeeded in SF, but failed miserably in SP.

I enjoy the SF PTS but always thought it lacked egde, especially after its two predecessors. The court shootout is pretty pedestrian as you say. I actually think the climax with the helicopter is the most thrilling.

The only action worth mentioning in SP is the awesome train fight. The rest is SO forgettable. A better score would have helped.

I enjoy the SF PTS but always thought it lacked egde, especially after its two predecessors. The court shootout is pretty pedestrian as you say. I actually think the climax with the helicopter is the most thrilling.

The only action worth mentioning in SP is the awesome train fight. The rest is SO forgettable. A better score would have helped.
    +1

Sums up my opinion.