The DANIEL CRAIG Appreciation thread - Discuss His Life, His Career, His Bond Films

Comments

• TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    shamanimal wrote: »
    The moaning about Spectre really shows me how high the standard of recent Bond films have been. If we'd have had Spectre after AVTAK, or DAD, it'd have been hailed a near-classic. I'm still surprised to see so many people moan about it. It oozes class.

It's "badness" has taken on mythic proportions on these boards. While far from perfect, SP is also far from being the worst Bond film ever. It's middle of the park, and maybe slightly better than most because of Craig.

I disagree with @Remington. Newman's score was fine, though not as good as his work on SF. The Latin beats for the PTS were masterful; he wrote two separate and engaging themes for Lucia and Madeiline; and I liked much of the music in Morocco. And the script itself was wasn;t too bad, at least in terms of dialogue. There were some terrific lines in SP, most notably Q's banter with Bond, regarding the watch and the restored Aston Martin.

As @ClarkDevlin notes: the film lacks suspense. I thought that, too, and I chalk it up to having looked through the SONY leaked emails. Big mistake on my part. I pretty much knew what was going to happen at each juncture of the film.

The third act is a mess. Brothergate is a mess. But neither occurs until almost two hours in. Up to that point, we have a pretty damn good Bond film on our hands.
  • mybudgetbondmybudgetbond The World
    TripAces wrote: »
    The moaning about Spectre really shows me how high the standard of recent Bond films have been. If we'd have had Spectre after AVTAK, or DAD, it'd have been hailed a near-classic. I'm still surprised to see so many people moan about it. It oozes class.

It's "badness" has taken on mythic proportions on these boards. While far from perfect, SP is also far from being the worst Bond film ever. It's middle of the park, and maybe slightly better than most because of Craig.

I disagree with @Remington. Newman's score was fine, though not as good as his work on SF. The Latin beats for the PTS were masterful; he wrote two separate and engaging themes for Lucia and Madeiline; and I liked much of the music in Morocco. And the script itself was wasn;t too bad, at least in terms of dialogue. There were some terrific lines in SP, most notably Q's banter with Bond, regarding the watch and the restored Aston Martin.

As @ClarkDevlin notes: the film lacks suspense. I thought that, too, and I chalk it up to having looked through the SONY leaked emails. Big mistake on my part. I pretty much knew what was going to happen at each juncture of the film.

The third act is a mess. Brothergate is a mess. But neither occurs until almost two hours in. Up to that point, we have a pretty damn good Bond film on our hands.

I agree with all of this. Especially the “mythic proportions” part. It’s nowhere as bad as people make out. It’s my least favourite of the Craig era, but there are a lot of great things in it.

For me, DAF and DAD are biggest messes and the most problematic entries. SP, TMWTGG, TWINE are all clumped together after that - mixed films with some good stuff and not-so-good stuff. Of course, there is no real consensus for the best/worst ones as we have so many different tastes.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible

I do think its shortcomings are exaggerated. It's a bit sloppy but I find there are some great moments in it, some exhilarating action and Craig is on fire.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,496
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I'm guessing the budget of this film is mainly focused on the actors.

My sense of things: this is going to be a quick shoot. Based on the description, as that of a Christie-type murder mystery, it will mostly be one set. Think Hateful Eight, where about 90% of the film took place in one enclosed space.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 15,423
    My sense of things: this is going to be a quick shoot. Based on the description, as that of a Christie-type murder mystery, it will mostly be one set. Think Hateful Eight, where about 90% of the film took place in one enclosed space.
    Yes, that's what I think, too. They'll be done by December, I figure.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 616

Think Hateful Eight, where about 90% of the film took place in one enclosed space.

I'm trying to forget THE HATEFUL EIGHT.

Escalus5 wrote: »

Think Hateful Eight, where about 90% of the film took place in one enclosed space.

I'm trying to forget THE HATEFUL EIGHT.

:-))
    Ana de Armas has been doing some live insta vids from the set.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,496
    Katherine Langford Joins Rian Johnson's 'Knives Out'
    https://hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/katherine-langford-joins-rian-johnsons-knives-1159889

‘Knives Out’: Riki Lindhome, Edi Patterson, Raúl Castillo Join Rian Johnson Movie
    https://deadline.com/2018/11/riki-lindhome-edi-patterson-raul-castillo-rian-johnson-knives-out-1202497615/

"I hear Craig’s detective character is understood to be called Benoit Blanc, which makes him sound like a Frenchman, though that is unconfirmed.]
    Daniel has designed a Christmas card for Just a Card.

Funds go to the UK based children’s arts charity ANNO’S AFRICA.

daniel-craig-card.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Craig films Knives Out in Marlborough.

So, the bearded geezer look he was seen with a month or so back apparently wasn't for the film after all.

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/photogallery/WL/20181129/NEWS/112909990/PH/1
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Strange.
  • I couldn't be more excited for this.

I'm very interested in Craig's look. There was some talk that his character was called Beniot Blanc and was supposedly a modern take on Hercule Poirot. It looks like Rian Johnson has sensibly dropped that idea and has played more into the idea of Craig as a grizzled and world-weary PI. He suits that Philip Marlow-esque character and I'm intrigued to see Craig play a hardboiled detective. These photos really inspire confidence and get me excited about DC as an actor again!

the terrifically talent Lakeith Stanfield can also be spotted in the photos.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Craig films Knives Out in Marlborough.

So, the bearded geezer look he was seen with a month or so back apparently wasn't for the film after all.

https://www.metrowestdailynews.com/photogallery/WL/20181129/NEWS/112909990/PH/1

Or maybe it was, and ultimately he and Johnson said "No way." LOL
    It could be that the slightly longer hair and the trimmed beard still appear in the film albeit in a different time. Could be a flashback, or could be in the present.
    It could be that the slightly longer hair and the trimmed beard still appear in the film albeit in a different time. Could be a flashback, or could be in the present.

Good point
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Good point
    Yes, that is a good point. It's a bit of a cliche, but he could be an alcoholic depressive at the start who is called upon due to his investigative skills and finds new purpose.
    Craig looks damn good in those photos. I like his detective look.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This is looking terrific, don't want to call too soon but if this is a hit and they've talked about DC's character being a modern day Poirot could this be a beginning of a new series?

It would be great to have every few years a new whodunnit with DC's character starring. With his stint as Bond almost up, maybe he's looking at the next phase of his career.

Possible new on going character for DC to play?

Also just because Johnson is directing this one doesn't mean that if this gets picked up for a series of films, doesn't mean he has to continue to wield the megaphone.

With him starting work on his new SW trilogy once he's finished this he'll be busy but no reason to say he can't be involved in a behind the scenes capacity.

Just a thought.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 871
    I'd like that. It would suit him well as he gets older.

PH-112909990.jpg&maxW=900&maxH=900&cacheBuster=20181129201318?Q=75&maxW=2340&maxH=2340
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited November 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Yes for once bond actor should be involved behind the camera after they retire. As Craig name also came up in the titles of Spectre as co producer.
    edited November 2018 Posts: 4,554
    Morning Bell ??????

OK. Now we have TWO Radiohead song titles that have been used for the title of this film. LOL
    Morning Bell ??????

OK. Now we have TWO Radiohead song titles that have been used for the title of this film. LOL

'Morning Bell' is the films working title.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Morning Belle.

Mourning Belle. Could be.
    I don't recall reading a scene that parallels this in any of the leaked scripts, but I wonder if this was actually shot or just happens to be a BTS promotional still from Spectre.

CbNfph2WAAEtISG.jpg-large.jpg
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I don't recall reading a scene that parallels this in any of the leaked scripts, but I wonder if this was actually shot or just happens to be a BTS promotional still from Spectre.

CbNfph2WAAEtISG.jpg-large.jpg

I think I read somewhere that that was a deleted scene.