SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• edited October 2015 Posts: 11,119
    antovolk wrote: »
    http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-tracking-for-80-million-plus-opening-at-box-office/

This is for the U.S./Canada domestic market btw
    ‘Spectre’ Tracking for $80 Million-Plus Opening at Box Office

Daniel Craig and Bond are pacing to match the debut of “Skyfall” but will have some competition from Charlie Brown and “The Peanuts Movie”
    “Spectre,” the 24th James Bond movie, is heading for an explosive $80 million opening at the domestic box office, according to pre-release tracking that came online Thursday.
    That would put it in the same range as the previous 007 movie “Skyfall,” which debuted to $88 million in November of 2012. It became the highest-grossing Bond film ever, taking in $1.1 billion worldwide for Eon Productions, MGM and distributor Sony Pictures.
    The tracking number, intended to be a marketing gauge more than a box-office indicator, is also impressive because the film’s promotional campaign has yet to fully kick in, and it could go higher in the next two weeks.

“Spectre” will have its world premiere in London on Monday, Oct. 23, and open in U.K. theaters that same night. It opens in the U.S. and worldwide on Friday, Nov. 6. Pre-sales for “Spectre” in London have been double those for “Skyfall.”
    Daniel Craig is back for his fourth turn as 007 and Sam Mendes is back for his second go-round as director in “Spectre,” after winning praise for the critically lauded “Skyfall,” and Christoph Waltz joins the cast as the baddie.

The success of “Skyfall,” could have a bearing on the fortunes of “Spectre.” spectre imax day of deadThe considerable goodwill from that film should help “Spectre” get off to a strong start, and the tracking numbers reflect that, but if it fails to measure up to those standards, it may suffer at the box office.
    It is also opening up against Fox’s “The Peanuts Movie,” which analysts believe will open at $50 million plus, whereas “Skyfall” had an open field.

It has some other challenges. Craig’s recent comments that he’d rather slash his wrist than return for another Bond film aren’t going to help.
    And an early version of the script leaked in the Sony hack, and later the storyline was reportedly tweaked to secure a $20 million incentive from the government in Mexico, where parts of “Spectre” were filmed. On Thursday, IMAX released a poster of Craig as Bond in a Day of the Dead mask (photo) from one of the movie’s opening scenes filmed in that country.
    None of the negativity will matter if the film works however, and the two trailers have been well-received and have ignited broad and positive social media buzz.
    ‘Spectre” is a significant play for all involved. The 22 previous Bond movies have grossed more than $4.1 billion globally. Sony’s deal to distribute the Bond films expires with “Spectre,” and Warner Bros. is expected to take over.

These articles at this stage are simply put: Too early, too soon. I posted this before. Please read it carefully:

BoxOffice.com and TheWrap were mostly wrong with these, rather dubious, early tracking figures. I find these articles so bland really. Early tracking for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" was way off. The actual opening weekend was much smaller as their predicted weekend estimate:

long range forecast prediction:
    http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-06-long-range-forecast-mission-impossible-rogue-nation
    Opening weekend: $71,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $197,000,000

Factual box office results:
    Opening weekend: $55,520,089
    Current domestic gross: $183,612,153

Conclusion: "M:I - Rogue Nation" slightly underperformed as compared to their long range forecast. The film will not even come close to $197 Million and is, at least for now, in the USA not as succesful as "Ghost Protocol". Reason for that? The last-notice rescheduling. Which BoxOffice.com should have taken more serious.

With "Furious 7" it was the other way around really. That movie got pushed enormously by the death of Paul Walker, but also because the film received good reviews. I said that beforehand, BoxOffice.com took that too lightly. One can predict that with some more credible social media figures. One also needs to 'feel' trends properly, and Box.Office.com wasn't doing that:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-02-long-range-forecast-furious-7
    Opening weekend: $115,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $260,000,000

Opening weekend: $147,187,040
    Final domestic gross: $351,032,910

Conclusion: Like "Skyfall" and "The Dark Knight", boxoffice.com completely underestimated other sudden news events that can really drive up a movie, like the death of a co-star or the Olympics or a 50th Anniversary.

And one last 'long range forecast' prediction: "Kingsman: The Secret Service". Completely underestimated by the same site. Fox really attached all it's smart marketing efforts on that other competing movie "Fifty Shades Of Grey". It basically 'parasited' on that film wonderfully. BoxOffice.com entirely forgot that. Although I have to say that I'm only critical of these stupid long range forecasts. Otherwise it's a good website:

Opening weekend: $23,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $60,000,000

Opening weekend: $36,206,331
    Final domestic gross: $128,261,724

Conclusion: Again, this shows how these 'long range forecasts' should be taken with a grain of salt. In the end "Kingsman" was a huge success in the USA and doubled its domestic take as compared to that early prediction

So I think you're drawing big conclusions too soon. You base your entire prediction on just early tracking? On these rather....flawed attention seeking filler articles? You need to take into account more trendsetting factors. One needs to predict better, 'feel' the mood so to say.

Then also have a look at this screenshot I made. It shows you how incredible "Skyfall" actually performed with such a low theatre count. Expect a huge rise in theatre count: +4,250 is possible:

box_office_Sky_Fall_US.jpg

My conclusion really: These very early tracking figures are mostly wrong. It's like the presidential election polls really one month before the actual elections. There's still too much fluidity with these figures. Expect more solid predictions the week before the release.

And then, taking into account the relatively low theatre count of "Skyfall" in the US, which will be considerably higher with "SPECTRE" (+4,250?), the recently released China premiere date of November 13th and the ongoing narrative of the "Great Skyfall" and "Who's succeeding Daniel Craig??", I think it's safe to assume "SPECTRE" will at least open with $100 Million or more in the USA. I still think $120 to $130 Million is possible.

Trust me, "SPECTRE" will soar past the $350 Million domestically. And the opening weekend will make us all go crazy. I stick with my +$1.2 Billion global box office prediction:

$88 Million --> Opening Weekend

$0.304 Billion --> Domestic Gross (North-America)
    $0.059 Billion --> China Gross
    $0.010 Billion --> Mexico Gross
    $0.736 Billion --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +

I'd say for "SPECTRE" the full box office breakdown will look like this (prediction off course):

$135 Million --> Opening Weekend

$0.365 Billion --> Domestic Gross (North-America)
    $0.170 Billion --> China Gross
    $0.045 Billion --> Mexico Gross
    $0.695 Billion --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +
    qWqHCvj.jpg

yummy. Love these photos.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    http://www.thewrap.com/spectre-tracking-for-80-million-plus-opening-at-box-office/

This is for the U.S./Canada domestic market btw
    ‘Spectre’ Tracking for $80 Million-Plus Opening at Box Office

Daniel Craig and Bond are pacing to match the debut of “Skyfall” but will have some competition from Charlie Brown and “The Peanuts Movie”
    “Spectre,” the 24th James Bond movie, is heading for an explosive $80 million opening at the domestic box office, according to pre-release tracking that came online Thursday.
    That would put it in the same range as the previous 007 movie “Skyfall,” which debuted to $88 million in November of 2012. It became the highest-grossing Bond film ever, taking in $1.1 billion worldwide for Eon Productions, MGM and distributor Sony Pictures.
    The tracking number, intended to be a marketing gauge more than a box-office indicator, is also impressive because the film’s promotional campaign has yet to fully kick in, and it could go higher in the next two weeks.

“Spectre” will have its world premiere in London on Monday, Oct. 23, and open in U.K. theaters that same night. It opens in the U.S. and worldwide on Friday, Nov. 6. Pre-sales for “Spectre” in London have been double those for “Skyfall.”
    Daniel Craig is back for his fourth turn as 007 and Sam Mendes is back for his second go-round as director in “Spectre,” after winning praise for the critically lauded “Skyfall,” and Christoph Waltz joins the cast as the baddie.

The success of “Skyfall,” could have a bearing on the fortunes of “Spectre.” spectre imax day of deadThe considerable goodwill from that film should help “Spectre” get off to a strong start, and the tracking numbers reflect that, but if it fails to measure up to those standards, it may suffer at the box office.
    It is also opening up against Fox’s “The Peanuts Movie,” which analysts believe will open at $50 million plus, whereas “Skyfall” had an open field.

It has some other challenges. Craig’s recent comments that he’d rather slash his wrist than return for another Bond film aren’t going to help.
    And an early version of the script leaked in the Sony hack, and later the storyline was reportedly tweaked to secure a $20 million incentive from the government in Mexico, where parts of “Spectre” were filmed. On Thursday, IMAX released a poster of Craig as Bond in a Day of the Dead mask (photo) from one of the movie’s opening scenes filmed in that country.
    None of the negativity will matter if the film works however, and the two trailers have been well-received and have ignited broad and positive social media buzz.
    ‘Spectre” is a significant play for all involved. The 22 previous Bond movies have grossed more than $4.1 billion globally. Sony’s deal to distribute the Bond films expires with “Spectre,” and Warner Bros. is expected to take over.

These articles at this stage are simply put: Too early, too soon. I posted this before. Please read it carefully:

BoxOffice.com and TheWrap were mostly wrong with these, rather dubious, early tracking figures. I find these articles so bland really. Early tracking for "Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation" was way off. The actual opening weekend was much smaller as their predicted weekend estimate:

http://pro.boxoffice.com/featured_stories/2015-06-long-range-forecast-mission-impossible-rogue-nation
    Opening weekend: $71,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $197,000,000

Opening weekend: $55,520,089
    Current domestic gross: $183,612,153

Conclusion: "M:I - Rogue Nation" slightly underperformed as compared to their long range forecast. The film will not even come close to $197 Million and is, at least for now, in the USA not as succesful as "Ghost Protocol". Reason for that? The last-notice rescheduling. Which BoxOffice.com should have taken more serious.

With "Furious 7" it was the other way around really. That movie got pushed enormously by the death of Paul Walker, but also because the film received good reviews. I said that beforehand, BoxOffice.com took that too lightly. One can predict that with some more credible social media figures. One also needs to 'feel' trends properly, and Box.Office.com wasn't doing that:

Opening weekend: $115,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $260,000,000

Opening weekend: $147,187,040
    Final domestic gross: $351,032,910

Conclusion: Like "Skyfall" and "The Dark Knight", boxoffice.com completely underestimated other sudden news events that can really drive up a movie, like the death of a co-star or the Olympics or a 50th Anniversary.

And one last 'long range forecast' prediction: "Kingsman: The Secret Service". Completely underestimated by the same site. Fox really attached all it's smart marketing efforts on that other competing movie "Fifty Shades Of Grey". It basically 'parasited' on that film wonderfully. BoxOffice.com entirely forgot that. Although I have to say that I'm only critical of these stupid long range forecasts. Otherwise it's a good website:

Opening weekend: $23,000,000
    Final domestic gross: $60,000,000

Opening weekend: $36,206,331
    Final domestic gross: $128,261,724

Conclusion: Again, this shows how these 'long range forecasts' should be taken with a grain of salt. In the end "Kingsman" was a huge success in the USA and doubled its domestic take as compared to that early prediction

So I think you're drawing big conclusions too soon. You base your entire prediction on just early tracking? On these rather....flawed attention seeking filler articles? You need to take into account more trendsetting factors. One needs to predict better, 'feel' the mood so to say.

Then also have a look at this screenshot I made. It shows you how incredible "Skyfall" actually performed with such a low theatre count. Expect a huge rise in theatre count: +4,250 is possible:

box_office_Sky_Fall_US.jpg

My conclusion really: These very early tracking figures are mostly wrong. It's like the presidential election polls really one month before the actual elections. There's still too much fluidity with these figures. Expect more solid predictions the week before the release.

And then, taking into account the relatively low theatre count of "Skyfall" in the US, which will be considerably higher with "SPECTRE" (+4,250?), the recently released China premiere date of November 13th and the ongoing narrative of the "Great Skyfall" and "Who's succeeding Daniel Craig??", I think it's safe to assume "SPECTRE" will at least open with $100 Million or more in the USA. I still think $120 to $130 Million is possible.

Trust me, "SPECTRE" will soar past the $350 Million domestically. And the opening weekend will make us all go crazy. I stick with my +$1.2 Billion global box office prediction:

$88 Million --> Opening Weekend

$0.304 Billion --> Domestic Gross (North-America)
    $0.059 Billion --> China Gross
    $0.010 Billion --> Mexico Gross
    $0.736 Billion --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +

I'd say for "SPECTRE" the full box office breakdown will look like this (prediction off course):

$135 Million --> Opening Weekend

$0.365 Billion --> Domestic Gross (North-America)
    $0.170 Billion --> China Gross
    $0.045 Billion --> Mexico Gross
    $0.695 Billion --> Rest Of The World TOTAL +

I did read carefully. I'm not stupid. I know they are early tracking. I know could go higher.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Gary Powell did a Twitter Q&A today, here are a few Spectre tidbits:

First question. @TheFrancisReyes wants to know: In your opinion, which was the most challenging stunt you did on #SPECTRE?
    GP: Driving the Aston and the Jag down the steps towards the river. What was challenging about it, was not the cars going down the steps or the danger of us going into the river, but us not damaging the steps was a real concern as they are a few hundred years old.

Next question from @Saakey21: How was your experience of working with Daniel Craig?
    This is my 4th Bond film with Daniel and each time it gets easier. He gives me a lot of input into the way he wants to do things.

Next question from @PhilippUlrich: Is it getting harder to persuade executives of doing stunts for real instead of just using CGI?
    GP: For me personally no! As most executives that employ me know that I do as much stunts for real as possible.

This question for Gary Powell is from @LukeDebenPT: What is your favourite stunt in #SPECTRE? #AskGarySpectre
    GP: @LukeDebenPT I would have to say the opening helicopter sequence.

Next question from @GeorgiesBlog: Which stunt in #SPECTRE took the most takes to get right? #AskGarySpectre
    GP: It was the fight in the helicopter, not because the takes weren't right, but we had to do lots of takes to cover all the angles.

.@WheelHands asks: How much of Bond’s stunt work is done by Daniel in #SPECTRE?
    GP: He tries to do as much as he can, whether it be the fights, car chases or any of the physical scenes.

They never choose my question [-(
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    Hi guys, been a bit away from the forum, so i dont know if this has been discussed before, but are we expecting some early reviews from some possible screenings in the next few days?
    So much Bond stuff coming out now!! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-bd
    Soundtrack track list from Amazon
    1. Los Muertos Vivos Estan (featuring Tambuco)
    2. Vauxhall Bridge
    3. The Eternal City
    4. Donna Lucia
    5. A Place Without Mercy
    6. Backfire
    7. Crows Klinik
    8. The Pale King
    9. Madeleine
    10. Kite In A Hurricane
    11. Snow Plane
    12. L'Americain
    13. Secret Room
    14. Hinx
    15. Writing's On The Wall (Instrumental)
    16. Silver Wraith
    17. A Reunion
    18. Day Of The Dead (featuring Tambuco)
    19. Tempus Fugit
    20. Safe House
    21. Blindfold
    22. Careless
    23. Detonation
    24. Westminster Bridge
    25. Out Of Bullets
    26. Spectre (End Title)

Wow, I misread it and thought of a possible spoiler XD
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 154
    If you're avoiding spoilers, probably best to void the Shortlist article, as it gives away some tidbits about the car chase! Thanks for post @antovolk :-)
  • JWPepperJWPepper You sit on it, but you can't take it with you.
    Another new image, similar to one published earlier.

bond6.jpg
    new tv spot
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Tell that journalist bond wasn't in Mexico City for the living day lights
  • aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    They've fixed the grading for Mexico you can really tell from the last few tv spots.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    aaron819 wrote: »
    They've fixed the grading for Mexico you can really tell from the last few tv spots.

Thank god. Not fixed completely but I'll take it.

• edited October 2015 Posts: 3,164
    New soundtrack preview (idk yet if new track or not) and Newman interview from BBC Radio 3 (starts at 48 minutes) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06gt253

EDIT: it's just Backfire again.
  • MarcFC15MarcFC15 London
    Hi guys, been a bit away from the forum, so i dont know if this has been discussed before, but are we expecting some early reviews from some possible screenings in the next few days?

First screening is Wednesday evening... so potentially by Friday
    Full 30s version of TV spot 9
  • edited October 2015 Posts: 3,169
    The CGI crowd:
    jKPQXaf.jpg
    Versus:
    grabacion-escenas-Spectre-centro-Zocalo_MEDIMA20150328_0072_3.jpg
  • Mi6LisbonBranchMi6LisbonBranch Lisbon, Portugal
    MarcFC15 wrote: »

First screening is Wednesday evening... so potentially by Friday

Thanks @MarcFC15 for the info! Here in Portugal only premieres on Nov 5th so cant wait to see if first reviews confirms what we all expect: best Bond movie EVER!
    I would think from that Wednesday screening, we will get them Thursday morning. They watch it, go top the next place andwrite their review.

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    0eU2p2e.jpg

UoTXirO.jpg

zWLh0W3.jpg

ENo5l25.jpg

wNyOcdr.jpg

LLgoOgP.jpg

DehuQmr.jpg

8vTK3Kf.jpg

MuOBuqp.jpg

Tp4eWJA.jpg

6BmSTaE.jpg

cdc4JE1.jpg

dHl6Eah.jpg

ybmBdrJ.jpg

mMu1tEu.jpg

Invites to SPECTRE UK press screening going out - runtime is 148 minutes

CRcBIq3WsAA9LEK.jpg:large

• aaron819aaron819 Switzerland
    Is anyone going to get that DVD from Tesco - behind the scenes of SPECTRE
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    aaron819 wrote: »
    Is anyone going to get that DVD from Tesco - behind the scenes of SPECTRE

I'd love to but there's no bloody Tesco near me any more

:(
    (Spectre is officially the longest James Bond film of all time.)
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    (Spectre is officially the longest James Bond film of all time.)

(yay!)

• marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    Can I say that I'm going to attend the Press Screening, or not? :D
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    edited October 2015 Posts: 2,630

Congrats!!! Let us know how it is Marcos!

I too, may be getting a chance. He he :)
    Lucky beggars! I have to wait til Tues 27th. Skipping work to get the first screening after the Premiere the night before! Here in the Ireland my local cinema is putting the running time at 140 mins?