SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• bondjames wrote: »
    You're right, Bond crying while holding M was a low point (I don't recall him shedding so many tears for Vesper). Anything to bring the crowd in I guess.

I didn't call it a low point. I called it a money making point.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Agreed it was a money maker (appeals to the emotions). For me it was a low point though. Enough with the crying Bond. Next we'll have a doll for Christmas that does that.
    I don't see anybody else than Waltz to play the villain, unless they have someone up their sleeve. But why give Waltz a role less important than the villain?
    Sorry, double post
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I don't see anybody else than Waltz to play the villain, unless they have someone up their sleeve. But why give Waltz a role less important than the villain?

For me it's the opposite. I think he'd want to stretch himself and play a role dissimilar to ones he's done before (important for a double Oscar winner). So I think there's a possibility he may actually end up being good (it's perhaps too predictable for him to be bad....look at all the speculation on here for instance....next Blofeld etc.).

Imagine if Ejifor is still in the running, along with Waltz. #1 & 2.
  • doubleoego wrote: »
    According to the below Waltz isn't the villain but an ally

edit: the article confirms jack crap; actually. Sorry folks.

http://www.enstarz.com/articles/51121/20141117/james-bond-24-movie-news-christoph-waltz-not-the-bad-guy-actor-playing-some-ally-to-daniel-craig-in-movie-video.htm

But darling. If you read my posts, then you would have found out that I already thought that Waltz AT FIRST is the ally to James Bond.

But everyone at this stage already knows that they won't cast Waltz simply to be a Felix Leiter or Rene Mathis. Off course not. This ally will, during the movie, develop into a more sinister character.

Alas, articles like these don't mention that.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I am sure Waltz will be a good addition whatever he plays.
    bondjames wrote: »

For me it's the opposite. I think he'd want to stretch himself and play a role dissimilar to ones he's done before (important for a double Oscar winner). So I think he may actaully end up being good (it's too predictable for him to be bad....look at all the speculation on here for instance....next Blofeld etc.).

Waltz has played villains in the past true, he could be an ally of the stature of Mathis or Darko Kerim. But right now, since Ejiofor (who does not convince me as a Bond villain, by the way) seems out, I can't see anyone else than Waltz. He's also known for at least one good guy role and he would be less typecast than say Mark Strong.
    But everyone at this stage already knows that they won't cast Waltz simply to be a Felix Leiter or Rene Mathis. Off course not. This ally will, during the movie, develop into a more sinister character.

They did cast 5-time Academy Award nominee and living legend Albert Finney in a pretty straightforward and small role...
    Finney is exactly the kind of name I'm waiting for in a smaller role. Someone with critical heft to add some spice. A legend with a small role. Like Guinness in Star Wars to some extent (although his role was much larger - a better example is Brando in Superman).

I agree that whatever role Waltz has, it will be unusual, unpredictable, and it will be executed very well.

I still think there is a big reveal coming just before the press conference. Call it a feeling.
    Yes, but who else right now for the villain? Who else has been rumoured and still stands?
  • bondjames wrote: »

For me it's the opposite. I think he'd want to stretch himself and play a role dissimilar to ones he's done before (important for a double Oscar winner). So I think there's a possibility he may actually end up being good (it's perhaps too predictable for him to be bad....look at all the speculation on here for instance....next Blofeld etc.).

Ejiofor is NOT in the running for a role in Bond 24. Talks with the actor broke down a few weeks back, hence why Waltz has been cast in whatever role Ejiofor was supposedly meant to fill.

http://www.thewrap.com/christoph-waltz-joining-daniel-craig-in-bond-24-will-he-play-the-villain/

Reporter Jeff Sneider also confirms it here around the 23min mark:

Also the lack of rumours surrounding the female lead character in the film makes me think that Seydoux may not actually be playing the secondary figure at all and is in fact playing the lead Bond girl. However, Baz did say she was supposed to be filling the Scandinavian female role which we know is meant to only be a minor part. Alternatively, the character description we have for the main figure is a 'British female secret agent' which would aptly describe Harris's Moneypenny. Could Eve be bumped up for Bond 24 to the female lead of the pic?

It would explain why we haven't heard anything about the casting because the role has already clearly been filled. I wouldn't mind at all if Moneypenny is bumped up and given more screentime, Harris and Craig have great screen chemistry and I really enjoyed all their scenes in SF. I like the idea of Bond having a female partner in the field and it would actually be nice to have Moneypenny be given more of an actual character this time out.

naomie-harris-by-andrew-woffinden-for-esquire1.jpg
    Please don't scare me... I personally have had just about enough of M & MP in SF. I would not be open to a bigger role for her in B24.

You may be right about Seydoux though.
  • But everyone at this stage already knows that they won't cast Waltz simply to be a Felix Leiter or Rene Mathis. Off course not. This ally will, during the movie, develop into a more sinister character.

They did cast 5-time Academy Award nominee and living legend Albert Finney in a pretty straightforward and small role...

Yeah, but also as a gesture to Finney. I mean, you forget that Albert Finney was seriously beaten up, molested in 2010 I think? He then landed in the hospital, and as of that day he has serious loss of memory and speaking problems.
    That Jeff Sneider guy confirmed nothing. All he knows is that Ejiofor is out and that Waltz is in. He just assumes that Waltz got the role Ejiofor was considered for, just like everybody not closely following the pre-production of Bond 24.

Regarding the Bond girls: there is no way they will only have Lea + Harris in the movie. Moneypenny's role in Skyfall was already pretty big, considering the history of the character. I really don't see them giving her an even bigger role in Bond 24.
    They may have rewritten Seydoux's role to give her a larger part?

As for Waltz, given the age gap between him and Ejiofor, not to mention different national and racial background, I wonder how different was the role as originally written.
    As for Waltz, given the age gap between him and Ejiofor, not to mention different national and racial background, I wonder how different was the role as originally written.

Again, stop acting like it's a fact that Waltz got the role Ejiofor was considered for!
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    Please don't scare me... I personally have had just about enough of M & MP in SF. I would not be open to a bigger role for her in B24.

You may be right about Seydoux though.

Yeah, not liking her character that much. Nothing really special about her, and quite frankly it's hard to relate to Bond's flirting with her, she's not especially attractive; in Skyfall I felt Craig was forcing it a little.

Again, stop acting like it's a fact that Waltz got the role Ejiofor was considered for!

I'm not acting like, I'm speculating on the information we have. I understand it is mostly rumours and/or incomplete info.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    I wouldn't mind at all if Moneypenny is bumped up and given more screentime, Harris and Craig have great screen chemistry and I really enjoyed all their scenes in SF. I like the idea of Bond having a female partner in the field and it would actually be nice to have Moneypenny be given more of an actual character this time out.

More screentime than she had in Skyfall? Does she become the main character of the movie, and Bond will just have a cameo appearance? Are they adapting the "Moneypenny Diaries" for Bond 24?
  • I really hope MP just stays in the office in Bond 24. I feel like Bond and M could use more development, like maybe a scene with the two of them at Blades to show their new relationship developing, but other than that, I really only want M to hand Bond a folder, tell him his mission, and send him on his way.
    I'm not acting like, I'm speculating on the information we have. I understand it is mostly rumours and/or incomplete info.

It's not even a rumor, it's just something that some people assume. This whole "Waltz got the part Ejiofor was considered for!" is a complete repeat of "Bardem and Fiennes are both considered to play the main villain of Bond 23!" from early 2011.

Maybe Waltz really did get the part Ejiofor was considered for but at this point we do not know that so it would be wise to stop pretending like it's a rumor let alone a fact.
    Oh gosh, calm down! IF they were considered for the same role, etc. Happy now? I did NOT pretend, even remotely, that it was a fact.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Didn't Mendes say in an interview a year ago that he wanted to do more with the M and MP characters in Bond 24? At least under Mendes, we will not go back to 2 minutes screen time for either of them, not with those actors. At least not with Fiennes. Harris has had her "major part" already in SF, I would think.
    zebrafish wrote: »
    Harris has had her "major part" already in SF, I would think.

For the time being, I hope so.

I fear a 24 CTU type scenario with this team and I hope they don't hog too much limelight. MP already took up too much screen time in SF IMO (I was hoping for more from Marlohe but I think she was dispatched unceremoniously and too early in favour of Dench's M, MP & Q )
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Rather than M and Moneypenny, I would like Q to have a bigger role, maybe even involved on the field, like he was in Octopussy and Licence to Kill.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,844
    Regarding the current cast of Bond's Mi6 staff:

With all due respect, I don't think Harris is so huge of a star that she needs to appear in more than the one, two or maybe three scenes Moneypenny has traditionally appeared in (and yes, I'm familiar with her work in 28 Days Later, Pirates, etc.).

Q has always had a slightly larger role than Moneypenny on a film-to-film basis and I don't think there should be any problem with just featuring Whishaw in the one major "Here are your gadgets, 007, and here's some clever banter" scene in Q Branch with the option of later providing a little help in the field per usual.

Fiennes is a slightly different matter. M has always been the largest role of all the Mi6 staff. Even so, I do see the part being expanded slightly with Fiennes. Not beyond what we got with Dench (which admittedly became a little excessive), but beyond the size of Bernard Lee's role. I would be surprised if we didn't get greater and more meaningful involvement from Fiennes' M, and like others, I'm hoping for a scene in Blades between Bond and M à la Moonraker (even if only just the dinner scene and not a whole game of bridge with the villain ;) ).

Ejiofor is NOT in the running for a role in Bond 24. Talks with the actor broke down a few weeks back, hence why Waltz has been cast in whatever role Ejiofor was supposedly meant to fill.

http://www.thewrap.com/christoph-waltz-joining-daniel-craig-in-bond-24-will-he-play-the-villain/

Also the lack of rumours surrounding the female lead character in the film makes me think that Seydoux may not actually be playing the secondary figure at all and is in fact playing the lead Bond girl. However, Baz did say she was supposed to be filling the Scandinavian female role which we know is meant to only be a minor part. Alternatively, the character description we have for the main figure is a 'British female secret agent' which would aptly describe Harris's Moneypenny. Could Eve be bumped up for Bond 24 to the female lead of the pic?

It would explain why we haven't heard anything about the casting because the role has already clearly been filled. I wouldn't mind at all if Moneypenny is bumped up and given more screentime, Harris and Craig have great screen chemistry and I really enjoyed all their scenes in SF. I like the idea of Bond having a female partner in the field and it would actually be nice to have Moneypenny be given more of an actual character this time out.

That just blew my mind. How have we not thought of this?!
  • JWESTBROOK wrote: »

That just blew my mind. How have we not thought of this?!

Particularly given this September 2013 story by Bamigboye.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2419469/Moneypennys-license-thrill.html
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bond has been rebooted and is in a reboot so why not Blofeld... and don't say because been there done that. We haven't. We are in a reboot and Blofeld as a character never got handled all that great in a lot of fans minds...and critics too.

Thing is, not many people realised that Bond was rebooted, while a re-introduction of the name Blofeld will make a lot of people go, jeez, Blofeld, isn´t that the guy from the Austin Powers movies? WTF? And re-introducing Q and MP doesn´t count either, because those characters were inventory rather than plot devices in the general public´s mind.
    If, on the other hand, the character described as Blofeld by Fleming would be used and given a new name, there would be at least three outstanding opportunities of having a great villain, because Fleming´s description of Blofeld in each of those three novels differs drastically from the others.