SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

• boldfinger wrote: »
    mcdonbb wrote: »
    Bond has been rebooted and is in a reboot so why not Blofeld... and don't say because been there done that. We haven't. We are in a reboot and Blofeld as a character never got handled all that great in a lot of fans minds...and critics too.

Thing is, not many people realised that Bond was rebooted, while a re-introduction of the name Blofeld will make a lot of people go, jeez, Blofeld, isn´t that the guy from the Austin Powers movies? WTF? And re-introducing Q and MP doesn´t count either, because those characters were inventory rather than plot devices in the general public´s mind.
    If, on the other hand, the character described as Blofeld by Fleming would be used and given a new name, there would be at least three outstanding opportunities of having a great villain, because Fleming´s description of Blofeld in each of those three novels differs drastically from the others.

Nonsense :-). Keep the name and thèn try to do a perfect reboot. That's what I call ambition. And that's what happened with The Joker in Batman.

Moneypenny hasn't been given a new name either when she got rebooted. And let's not talk about renaming James Bond....
    yeah In fact lets reboot Jaws And Dr No and Goldfinger and the double take Pigeon and...
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So ... I had not come across that Sept 2013 note by Baz before. He said then:
    Director Sam Mendes, Craig, and producers Barbara Broccoli and Michael G. Wilson are all big fans of Naomie’s and don’t want her to be too desk-bound, as other Moneypennys have been.
    ‘The idea formulating in Bond-land is for Naomie to be much more of a sidekick to James, and for her to get out and harm the bad guys,’ an executive close to the production told me.

That stirs that whole debate up again.

For me, I think we still have the main lead (British probably) Bond girl to be announced. But perhaps we really shall have Moneypenny in the field, in action more often.
  • marketto007marketto007 Brazil
    What if Mr. Waltz will be, in fact, the new villain, and the movie will be called "Risico"? Well, here's my new Fan Art.

B24_RISICO_MK_FAN_ART_004.png
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 4,619

How on earth does a 14 month old article stir any debate up again?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Bond has been rebooted and is in a reboot so why not Blofeld... and don't say because been there done that. We haven't. We are in a reboot and Blofeld as a character never got handled all that great in a lot of fans minds...and critics too.

Thing is, not many people realised that Bond was rebooted, while a re-introduction of the name Blofeld will make a lot of people go, jeez, Blofeld, isn´t that the guy from the Austin Powers movies? WTF? And re-introducing Q and MP doesn´t count either, because those characters were inventory rather than plot devices in the general public´s mind.
    If, on the other hand, the character described as Blofeld by Fleming would be used and given a new name, there would be at least three outstanding opportunities of having a great villain, because Fleming´s description of Blofeld in each of those three novels differs drastically from the others.

I completely agree that the Blofeld described by Fleming is amazing... But why then be afraid of using the name? How many people remember, even remotely, the name of the scarred man stroking a cat who inspired Mike Myers? Outside the fan world, I mean.
    What if Mr. Waltz will be, in fact, the new villain, and the movie will be called "Risico"? Well, here's my new Fan Art.

B24_RISICO_MK_FAN_ART_004.png

Beautiful.
    The 14 month old article does stir it up simply because that debate is always close to the surface and is not laid to rest. But you surely realize that.
    @marketto007 Your tweet earlier got me excited (you knew the title), then disappointed (it was only a fan art), then impressed (that it was so good!)
    I always enjoy @marketto007's fan art. And I still think Risico has a great sound to it. I hope it is used some day.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 14,873
    IF (I say if everyone, just so nobody think that I am talking about certainties here) Waltz plays a villain, how would they deal with his face? I think like Bardem he has a very malleable one. I doubt they will use as much makeup, but what could they do? Short hair, long hair? Glases, no glasses? Bulging eyes? Beard? No beard? If so, how?
    I was wondering, with Waltz being born in Vienna, and a part of Bond 24 will be filmed in Austria, could this be where the villain's lair exists, with him as the main villain?
    Zorin61 wrote: »
    I was wondering, with Waltz being born in Vienna, and a part of Bond 24 will be filmed in Austria, could this be where the villain's lair exists, with him as the main villain?

Isn't it more likely that he will play an Austrian contact?

Isn't it more likely that he will play an Austrian contact?

Maybe, if the role is akin to Darko Kerim's or Enrico Colombo's.

But until and if they name some other actor, my bet is that Waltz will play the villain.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Ludovico wrote: »

I completely agree that the Blofeld described by Fleming is amazing... But why then be afraid of using the name? How many people remember, even remotely, the name of the scarred man stroking a cat who inspired Mike Myers? Outside the fan world, I mean.

Exactly ...reimagining characters is vogue right now and Fleming's Blofeld deserves better. Why deny bond's history?

Anyway guess off topic ..not news.
  • My dream would be to have this gunbarrel at the start of the film/PTS :-P:

qosgunbarrel.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I was thinking that maybe the Grand Hotel Lienz exteriors could be the villain's lair at the base of the Austrian Alps.
  • I have to say, that if EON decides to cast Waltz as an ally, they will have wasted two great potential villains in a row. First in Fiennes, and then in Waltz. I really hope that he is a villain.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I have to say, that if EON decides to cast Waltz as an ally, they will have wasted two great potential villains in a row. First in Fiennes, and then in Waltz. I really hope that he is a villain.
    I'm completely with you on that one. I don't care if casting Waltz is typecasting, because I have complete faith in EON to make something original of his character, just like how Silva's character was much more different from his villain in No Country For Old Men.
    jake24 wrote: »
    I was thinking that maybe the Grand Hotel Lienz exteriors could be the villain's lair at the base of the Austrian Alps.

I'd love that beautiful hotel to be in the film.
    Well? Seeing as filming begins 2 weeks on Saturday!!!!! :-O And Sam Mendes plans atleast 2 weeks worth of rehearsels and read throughs? I sincerely hope we get a few more details possibly by or on Friday about Bond 24?!!! Fingers crossed!

I am guessing the press conference will be Friday December 5th?!!!! :-bd
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 5,767

Nonsense :-). Keep the name and thèn try to do a perfect reboot. That's what I call ambition. And that's what happened with The Joker in Batman.

Moneypenny hasn't been given a new name either when she got rebooted. And let's not talk about renaming James Bond....
    The Joker is all over Batman comics, while Blofeld appeared in exactly three Bond novels. The Joker in the Batworld is inventory like MP is (or at least was until now) in the Bondworld, while Blofeld is an actual plot device.

How on earth does a 14 month old article stir any debate up again?
    Especially after the script has been rewritten massively.

The name and exclamation "Blofeld" is all over Connery´s and Lazenby´s films, so why be afraid to use a new name? The character Fleming described is so strong it could impress even if he was named Schulzenbauer.
    James Bond was once about being state of the art. If we settle for Bond being nostalgia that necessarily needs things like the DB5 and overly self-conscious self-references, then of course it would be the right thing to use the name Blofed again.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @boldfinger I give you credit but you might as well give up reasoning with them. I know I have. :!!
  • boldfinger wrote: »

The Joker is all over Batman comics, while Blofeld appeared in exactly three Bond novels. The Joker in the Batworld is inventory like MP is (or at least was until now) in the Bondworld, while Blofeld is an actual plot device.

Are you....really serious? "Inventory"? I'm not a Batman-fan. But Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker is already considered a villain's role with evergreen status. Also, The Joker wasn't used in all Batman films either. Comparing Moneypenny with the Joker for me also doesn't make much sense.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 16,335
    Are you....really serious? "Inventory"? I'm not a Batman-fan. But Heath Ledger's portrayal of The Joker is already considered a villain's role with evergreen status. Also, The Joker wasn't used in all Batman films either. Comparing Moneypenny with the Joker for me also doesn't make much sense.

Because Batman killed him in Batman 89 and Heath Ledger's untimely and unfortunate passing couldn't allow Joker to reappear in a sequel. In the comic, Batman doesn't Kill the Joker so he always gets away only to kill again and the cycle continues. Plus given the chance, Bond usually kills his villain. Unless Blofeld had Bond strapped into some inescapable table or chair, Craig's Bond would undoubtedly kill Blofeld when he gets the very chance too.
    Murdock wrote: »
    @boldfinger I give you credit but you might as well give up reasoning with them. I know I have. :!!
    @Murdock, I should, otherwise I´ll start spamming soon 8-} .

I was referring to the Batworld including the comics. If you did your research and not twist my words you would understand my comparison.
    Furthermore, the Joker is per se a character that every now and then pops out of a sleeve, hence the name. To let Blofeld pop up like that would turn either his character or the Bond franchise into a joke.
    The name and exclamation "Blofeld" is all over Connery´s and Lazenby´s films, so why be afraid to use a new name? The character Fleming described is so strong it could impress even if he was named Schulzenbauer.
    James Bond was once about being state of the art. If we settle for Bond being nostalgia that necessarily needs things like the DB5 and overly self-conscious self-references, then of course it would be the right thing to use the name Blofed again.
    [/quote]

Actually no, the name Blofeld is barely mentioned in Connery's films and only appears from the end of YOLT. Before that, the character is not named once, but in the credits. Then yes, it is used in OHMSS and DAF, to disappear straight after. I was all to use another name with a Blofeld-like character when the rights were not secured. I was advocating to merge Blofeld and General Grubozaboischikov in fact and use the latter's name, however of a mouthful he was.

As for nostalgia, there is nothing wrong with a dose of it and Fleming's novels have plenty of nostalgia to begin with.
    edited November 2014 Posts: 16,335
    I was advocating to merge Blofeld and General Grubozaboischikov in fact and use the latter's name, however of a mouthful he was.

As for nostalgia, there is nothing wrong with a dose of it and Fleming's novels have plenty of nostalgia to begin with.

Why didn't you say so? :O Now that's playing devils advocate! \m/
    63104-exploding-champagne-bottle.jpeg

Actually no, the name Blofeld is barely mentioned in Connery's films and only appears from the end of YOLT. Before that, the character is not named once, but in the credits. Then yes, it is used in OHMSS and DAF, to disappear straight after. I was all to use another name with a Blofeld-like character when the rights were not secured. I was advocating to merge Blofeld and General Grubozaboischikov in fact and use the latter's name, however of a mouthful he was.

So it was three films. After the guy´s introduction was prepared from the very first film on. Don´t tell me that didn´t leave any impact.
    Fleming´s novels don´t feature self-reference, except for one or two awkward places.

But ok: If it´s done deadpan, then I´m game. But I haven´t seen that in a Bond film since the 80s. I wouldn´t mind if Mendes turned away from his formerly embarrassing attempts at being clever and did something really funny.
    Actually no. I don't care about "playing devil's advocate". It was different circumstances. It had nothing to do with the name Blofeld, or rather the relevance of his name, but to the fact that the rights on said name were not secured.

And, for the record, I don't think we can safely say Blofeld will show up in Bond 24. But the rumor seems at least marginally more credible than when Ejiofor was supposed to be the next Bond villain.